Wang Yanxin's Jin Jun Mei

Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

From Verdant Tea (Special)

Verdant Reserve Club – August

Wang Yanxin has some of the strongest opinions of all our tea friends. She loves Jin Jun Mei. Every time we visit her she gives us gifts of Jin Jun Mei, and brews up the finest that she can find. This batch is one of those gifts, a rich, deep and chocolatey Jin Jun Mei that makes us see the tea in a totally new light.

The most prominent aromas and flavors of this tea are centered around the theme of roasted sweet potato. It brings back memories of living in China and stopping in the countryside where a farmer roasted sweet potatoes in a metal drum. The smell as you stood in line on a crisp morning is the taste experience of this tea.

The aftertaste and texture of this tea perfectly exemplify the Jin Jun Mei ideal, with sweet velvety honey flavor and creamy texture lingering on the tongue. There is a beautiful orange creamsicle citrus flavor that comes through in later steepings.

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

1992 tasting notes

I always feel guilty whenever I have one of my reserve teas western-style. But the fact is that I always prefer my black teas to be western steeped. There is something about combining all of those flavors into one cup that I love. So I brewed up some of this western style this morning, no regrets.

This was quite delicious, no surprise. Malt, grain, a bit of brown sugar. Smooth smooth smooth, with a nice substantial texture. There is almost a bit of earthy hay to this, which is a flavor I typically associate with Yunnan teas. Jin jun meis are not my favorite Fujian tea (a superb tan yang is more likely to blow my mind), but I do enjoy this one quite a bit.

Ah, Jin Jun Mei! Thank you Wang Yanxin!
This was my morning gongfu session tea, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The dry leaves are tiny & twisted, in shades of black & mahogany, with an aroma of honeyed toast. Warmed, I also smell hints of chocolate.
54G + 4oz (rinse) 10/20/30/45 sec, then 1 min/2/etc

Even at 10 seonds, this is immediately rich & satisfying, with flavors of sorghum molasses, sweet potato, toast, & malt that build with each successive steep. So thick & delicious, a real treat.

I was EXTREMELY lucky to have been gifted a bit of this tea. Thank you BrewTEAlly Sweet! You’re the best!

I was allowed to go home from work early today due to the winter storm, so I’ve been relaxing with a gongfu session this afternoon http://twitpic.com/dnt1nh

WOW. So smooth…so much honey flavor! Almost a floral honeysuckle but not quite. Also very rich and lightly malty. SO very very good! I’m so happy I got to try it :) :) :)

Kaylee

That cup is gorgeous!

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Yay I’m glad you liked it! I would have sent more if I knew you liked it that much:) or at least bought more when it was available. It’s the special budset edition.

Stephanie

Kaylee- the cup is also from Verdant. They have a few left but be warned, it is a TINY cup! http://verdanttea.com/teas/jingdezhen-lotus-and-fish-tea-cup/

Megan- Dude, I have so much tea right now it is ridiculous! So while it is a nice thought I’m kinda glad you didn’t send me more! :)

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Ha ha okay good:) and that cup! I almost bought that on black Friday for you… good thing I didn’t… what are the odds?

Kaylee

1 oz capacity! That’s like 2 sips/cup!

Stephanie

Yeah, it’s probably a “tasting cup” :)

Super cute but not very practical for me personally! Though I did use it today!

BrewTEAlly Sweet

It’s good for things like the traveling tea boxes! Quick sip downs! Ha ha

lucky steph! i missed out on getting to grab this one..too slow (not that i need more tea) haha

Bonnie

Lovely!

Holy $#|+! This tea just took me by the ankles, flipped me upside down, and shook me out of my tea blahs. This is rich black tea at is finest. And I’m only on my 2nd steep. Ahhhh… Good to be back.

Awe….this one makes me sad I don’t get the reserve box anymore…assuming that this is part of that heh

Dinosara

Well I can’t wait to try this one now! Yes, it is a reserve club tea, Sil

sounds like i need to go find terri and beg her to send me some lol

yyz