Huang Zhi Xiang Reserve Dancong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

From Verdant Tea (Special)

Verdant Reserve Club – September

Huang Zhi Xiang, which can loosely translate as orange blossom fragrance. While the tea is certainly known for its citrus notes, Huang Zhi Xiang is one of the most elusive and beautiful teas whose flavor profiles span the full spectrum. Over a year ago we briefly had one Huang Zhi Xiang Dancong that we have ever been able to source again. Wang Yanxin, who knows what we love, helped us find this limited high elevation old growth harvest.

This tea has a dark toasted camphory aroma that is almost brothy like miso. The flavor is deep and potent with much of the complexity opening up in the aftertaste. Initially the texture is smooth and creamy, with a cooling sensation.

Later steepings reveal bright and intense muscat grape and lychee flavor with the grassy sweetness of sugarcane.

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

Sipdown, 100!! Made my Black Friday goal! Cold steep of this one.

I think a cold brew is actually my favorite way to drink dancong. It is SO tasty! Fruity, refreshing, all around delicious. Next summer I might have to get some cheap dancong to keep around for cold brews… It would be so nice on a hot day.

Woot woot go You!

Here I am again…the only person reviewing one of the Verdant Reserve TOMC teas. Oh well…This is from the FINAL month of the Reserve club.
Inspired by KS, I was determined to make it through the full 15 recommended steepings, & I did.
The dry leaf fragrance was rich & fruity, with roasty peachy notes.
Following suggestions, I heated my little pot, added 4G of tea, put the lid on for a minute to heat the leaf, & then took another whiff. OMG! This is like smelling the best incense & some peach dessert in the oven at the same time.
After a quick rinse, the aroma was rediculously awesome, like peach jam with a little orange marmalade mixed in.
I’m not going to bore you with notes on every single steep, even though I actually wrote them down. The early steepings featured a very ‘fresh’ taste, lightly fruity like dried peach, a little citrusy too, but all very delicate. The ‘after aroma’ in my sinuses was really amazing, again like an wonderful incense. By the 3rd cup a camphor-like essence rose, which gave a tingling sensation to my sinuses, soft palate, & lips, but the background of dried peach & the tangy citrus mouth were still present. During the next couple of cups the roastiness evokes a fruity wood in the smoker, at least in my imagination. My tongue became tingly & tart. There was a briefly astringent cup, & then sweet peach, drizzled with OJ, grilled over a fruit smoke fire.
In the middle tastings the fruit flavor changed, the roastiness faded. By cup number 10 it was all delicate sweet fruitiness, & I developed a craving for pancakes. I took a break from tea sipping, made a batch of almond flour pancakes, consuming massive quantities with apricot jelly.
Then I resumed my steeping. The last several cups had a kind of cereal like taste, a little metalic, slightly astringent, with a tinge of bitterness & brightness, like grape peels.

Whew! BRBGGP!! ;)

TastyBrew

I tried this, but Dancong is totally lost on me. I’m sending it to my brother, he loves them. I’m glad you like it! I’m curious to see how the reserve club is going to reinvent itself. If they make a reserve club based around only black teas, my head may explode in excitement.

it’s up on the site now silly. essentially there is no reserve club. they will source reserve teas and people can buy them. looks to be 20$/oz

NofarS

Wow. I didn’t know that they were shutting the Reserve TOMC. I left because it was too expensive (I had the bundle for about 6 months), and it looked successful enough.
Terri, the Dancong – it sounds amazing!

Terri HarpLady

I really have to be in the right mood for them, because the flavors tend to be very subtle.

K S

15 steeps – show off :)
BRB ?
GGP – must be gotta go p!

LOL, KS, more than once!

Terri HarpLady

I’m pretty sure there is an ancient chinese saying that goes like this: “You drink tea, you go pee”

K S