Minnesota Blend

Green Tea
Green Tea, Juniper, Minnesota Wild Rice, Organic Marigold, Organic Vanilla Beans, Saffron
Nutty, Smooth, Soybean, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Butter, Creamy, Thick, Butternut Squash, Oats, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “The first time I brewed this I forgot it was a green blend and treated it like a black! Wasn’t actually that bad, but I figured I’d wait to rate it until I had actually steeped it...” Read full tasting note
    smallstar42 212 tasting notes
  • “Yup, soybeans, vanilla, toasted rice and a wee bit nutty. I often don’t get the same notes that Verdant describes on their site, but this time it was pretty dead on accurate for me. I think I...” Read full tasting note
    Anlina 875 tasting notes
  • “My mom picked up some of this in the summer, so I avoided getting it myself and tried hers over Christmas. Oddly, it just tasted like Laoshan Genmaicha, to me. Lovely green beany flavours, toasty...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2831 tasting notes
  • “I love both verdants laoshan green and laoshan genmaicha, so was pretty sure I’d like this one too. And I do! It is smooth, buttery and nutty, and everything blends perfectly together for a...” Read full tasting note
    caile 225 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea (Special)

In May 2014, we worked with Minnesota’s Excel Energy Center to create a custom tea blend just for Lady Gaga, to welcome her back to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the St. Paul stop on her artRAVE tour. Thus, the Minnesota Blend was born!

Our goal with this blend was to create something that was distinctly Minnesotan with additions like Minnesota Wild Rice and north woods juniper berries, while still feeling decadent and rich for a tea lover like Lady Gaga. Vanilla bean and generous saffron make the brew rich, full and sweet without overwhelming and heavy-handed cloying artificial sweeteners.

At the base and the heart of the Minnesota Blend is one of our favorite teas: Spring Harvest Laoshan Green. Our good friend QingQing is the He Family’s eldest daughter. We’ve known QingQing since she and David met as classmates at Qingdao University in 2007. QingQing He is a huge fan of Lady Gaga. That’s why, for our original blend, we used first picking Laoshan green tea, picked especially by QingQing and rush shipped – just in time! – directly to Minneapolis from her family’s farm in Laoshan.

This is a special, limited reblend. We do not plan to add the Minnesota Blend to our permanent collection, and are offering it now due to popular demand from fans online and locally here in Minnesota.

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

The first time I brewed this I forgot it was a green blend and treated it like a black! Wasn’t actually that bad, but I figured I’d wait to rate it until I had actually steeped it properly. I decided on western style (too lazy for gaiwan) but relatively heavy leaf (4g) and short steeps (1min), which I think ought to be good for several infusions. First one is very nice – lots of vanilla and toasted rice in the aroma, smooth and buttery green tea base.

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I think I like this. It’s a bit odd, but good odd. I didn’t realize that this had a green base when I put my kettle on, so I ended up steeping in in 90C water and it was delicious and smooth.

Flavors: Nutty, Smooth, Soybean, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

Mikumofu

This one grew on me a lot in the short time it took for me to finish a sample size!

My mom picked up some of this in the summer, so I avoided getting it myself and tried hers over Christmas. Oddly, it just tasted like Laoshan Genmaicha, to me. Lovely green beany flavours, toasty rice. Maybe a touch of vanilla. I certainly didn’t pick out any juniper. If this sticks around, I might grab a sample size to try again, because I don’t feel like I got the full experience. Perhaps just a flukey ingredient assortment in my infuser.

Cameron B.

It’s definitely very similar to Laoshan Genmaicha, the vanilla is pretty subtle and I’ve never tasted juniper in it.

It is smooth, buttery and nutty, and everything blends perfectly together for a beautiful and fancy genmaicha type tea.
And, the leaf is visually lovely as well – simply gorgeous!

nope. not for me. I’ve had this a couple times now and it’s just not working for me. something about the green and the berries that creates a flavour that is completely disharmonious to my mouth. The rest of the ounce i purchase will be off to Terri so that she can give it a try!

Roswell Strange

Aww; that’s sad :(

Kittenna

My mom had some of this, which I tried about a week ago – it just tasted like Laoshan Green Genmaicha to me.

I ordered just a sample size of this, because on the one hand, it sounds amazing, but on the other hand, my love for green teas and green blends has been flagging lately, and I wasn’t sure if I would love it.

The blend looks lovely—Laoshan Green tea in those familiar curls, with yellow safflowers, long rice grains, and juniper berries. The brew comes out very harmonious, with a vegetal green base that isn’t distracting or too heady, and a rich, buttery finish with hints of vanilla and toasted rice, the rice being less evident than in the Laoshan Chocolate Genmaicha. I’m not sure if I’m getting anything from the juniper or safflowers, but then again, the berries might just be there for decoration. Overall, it’s a comforting and enjoyable blend, and worth trying, though I’m not sure I’ll get more as it’s not often available, and didn’t amaze me so much that I would search far and wide for it.

Cameron B. was nice enough to send me a sample of this the other day-thanks! :D
This one also seems to be popular, so I had to try.
And honestly,I’m really not all that sure what to think. It’s pretty buttery, and has a lot of vanilla notes in it. It’s like a buttery, vanilla, genmaicha.
Because while the vanilla and buttery notes mainly dominate this tea, I can still taste the toasted rice…It’s very different. Unique.
Not like anything I’ve ever had before.
I’ll have to try it again sometime before I decide if I really like it.
I mean, I really like how it’s like a vanilla genmaicha…just the butter flavors kinda turn me off. I can see myself either really liking this one, or feeling really really sick from the buttery-ness of it. xD I’ll have to rate this one later when I’ve sorted my feelings for this one! Thank you soo much for the sample, Cameron B.! :D

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

Nightshifter

Sounds really interesting!

Ost

It is! Not sure how to feel about it-haha!

Backlog:

I’m really glad that I got to try this blend. It’s a wild and crazy twist on the classic genmaicha. Notes of vanilla, pine, sweet nutty flavors from the rice, notes of edamame. I smell more of the saffron than I taste but after several sips, the flavor of the saffron develops a little.

Really tasty and unique. Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/08/03/minnesota-blend-from-verdant-tea/

I’ve hoarded my last little bit of this, because I was afraid I’d never be able to try it again after finishing it off. But I see on the Verdant site that they’ve blended it again, so another sip down.

Now I just need to figure out if I’m gonna order an obscene amount or just a moderately obscene amount. I still haven’t decided.

Many thanks to Cameron B for providing the sample!

gmathis

Crazy ingredient list!

scribbles

But oh so tasty :)

Obscene amount! :D

Sad Sipdown (123)!

First off, this is tasting note 1900! Woot! That means the next really big number is going to be 2000 – I think I need to start planning now for what tea I’ll celebrate that landmark with…

Thank you Cameron B. for sharing a cup worth of this awesome limited edition blend. I had no idea I wanted to try it until you wrote about it, and then after I did some looking in to it I felt like I had to try it even though I was hoping so much that I’d hate it. Why was I hoping I’d hate it? ‘Cause the only thing worse than hating a tea blend is falling in love with a limited edition blend. And of course, that’s what happened.

Aesthetically, the tea blend is beautiful! The deep green leaves make the yellow marigold really pop, and the juniper berries are super fun to look at. Smell wise, I don’t get a lot from the dry leaf, but steeping it smells like a high quality traditional Genmaicha; a little greener than roasty.

Taste wise; this is really smooth and silky. It weighs only slightly more on the green side than the roasty, but both are present and really well executed. I’m gonna have to agree with Cameron B. and say that the primary flavour I’m getting from the green base is butternut squash. Yummy! The roasty brown rice has a nice nutty quality to it as well that I’m also noticing. But most importantly, this has the most divine vanilla flavour. It’s gentle, but man is it present and very, very raw/natural. The vanilla really makes the tea, and honestly I haven’t tasted a vanilla flavour as amazing as this since Butiki’s Creamy Eggnog; which is pretty close to the perfect green vanilla tea. The green base here even shares the same buttery aspect alongside the very gentle vegetal taste.

I honestly don’t taste much of the Juniper berries (you’re right Cam, Junipers do have a sorta pine like quality to them) but I think I ever so faintly get a peek at the very, very end of the sip. If there’s one thing I’d want more of in this blend, it’s the Junipers…

But even so, I’m in love. I want more of this, like now. At least 2 oz. of it would make me a very, very happy tea drinker – ‘cause guys, I’m like 99% sure this is my Japon. It’s so smooth and silky and creamy, and rich in the most calming and pacifying way. And very subtly flavoured.

And dammit, ‘cause it’s limited edition! GAH!

VariaTEA

I just wrote tasting note 1900 yesterday. You caught up to me! Also, I like how “my Japon” is a thing :P

Cameron B.

I am now the proud owner of 4 ounces of this one. Muahaha!

TeaBrat

oooh I want some!

Cameron B.

TeaBrat, I suppose I could send you a sample…

Roswell Strange

@VariaTEA, I definitely noticed that last night ;) Wasn’t gonna point it out though because we both went really overboard the last time we were at the same amount of notes.