Minnesota Blend

Green Tea
Green Tea, Juniper, Minnesota Wild Rice, Organic Marigold, Organic Vanilla Beans, Saffron
Green Beans, Soybean, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Nutty, Smooth, Butter, Creamy, Thick, Butternut Squash, Oats, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Verdant Tea (Special)

In May 2014, we worked with Minnesota’s Excel Energy Center to create a custom tea blend just for Lady Gaga, to welcome her back to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the St. Paul stop on her artRAVE tour. Thus, the Minnesota Blend was born!

Our goal with this blend was to create something that was distinctly Minnesotan with additions like Minnesota Wild Rice and north woods juniper berries, while still feeling decadent and rich for a tea lover like Lady Gaga. Vanilla bean and generous saffron make the brew rich, full and sweet without overwhelming and heavy-handed cloying artificial sweeteners.

At the base and the heart of the Minnesota Blend is one of our favorite teas: Spring Harvest Laoshan Green. Our good friend QingQing is the He Family’s eldest daughter. We’ve known QingQing since she and David met as classmates at Qingdao University in 2007. QingQing He is a huge fan of Lady Gaga. That’s why, for our original blend, we used first picking Laoshan green tea, picked especially by QingQing and rush shipped – just in time! – directly to Minneapolis from her family’s farm in Laoshan.

This is a special, limited reblend. We do not plan to add the Minnesota Blend to our permanent collection, and are offering it now due to popular demand from fans online and locally here in Minnesota.

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

GCTTB
I was really excited to see this in the box. I adore Verdant genmaicha blends so have been wanting to try this for quite awhile now. Not sure what I was expecting but this isn’t it. Its slightly vanilla, a little green, but not really toasty/roasty. This is ok but pales compared to some of their other blends.
Really happy I got to try it, but it wasa miss. :(

agreed. :(

GCTTB4

I’m glad I got to try this, even if only so I could say I did. How often does a special Lady Gaga tea happen, right?

I can taste the vanilla and the rice in this, and it reminds me of a very toasty, very diluted rice krispie bar. However, I’m drinking this more for the novelty than anything else. There’s a back note to the tea I’m not liking very much, but I can’t put my finger on why.

Fjellrev

I had NO idea this blend had anything to do with her!

Ubacat

This tea was so different. I really enjoyed it.

Not really much to say here. I’ve kind of lost interest in green teas for awhile, although occasionally I enjoy a cup, but there aren’t very many in my collection anymore. I have Teavivre’s beautiful nonpareil cha wang tai ping you kui, some kai matcha in the freezer, some gunpowder green than Steph sent to me awhile back, the last of the meditative mind (teaspot), & this (sent by SIL, of course!). So…it’s ok, but not something I’d ever crave or want. It mostly takes like laoshan green, which is one of my preferred greens when I’m into them, and it makes for a nice afternoon cup, but that’s about it. Sip down.

same here! but this way you get to try the blend without buying!

Terri HarpLady

Thats right, thank you!

Wow, this tea is so different. It’s one of those teas I just want to take out of the box and hog but I’ll leave it in for others to try.

It tastes like a soy milk with vanilla and green bean. I also taste the toasted rice. It really works together nicely. First few sips it was a really strange tasting green tea to me but when I got near the end , I was really missing it. Very tasty!

I really like that this is a blended tea and not a flavoured tea. I didn’t taste any saffron but saffron is so subtle and I find it hard to separate it from the other flavours.

Overall a great tea! I would consider buying this one if they had it in stock.

Flavors: Green Beans, Soybean, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The first time I brewed this I forgot it was a green blend and treated it like a black! Wasn’t actually that bad, but I figured I’d wait to rate it until I had actually steeped it properly. I decided on western style (too lazy for gaiwan) but relatively heavy leaf (4g) and short steeps (1min), which I think ought to be good for several infusions. First one is very nice – lots of vanilla and toasted rice in the aroma, smooth and buttery green tea base.

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Yup, soybeans, vanilla, toasted rice and a wee bit nutty. I often don’t get the same notes that Verdant describes on their site, but this time it was pretty dead on accurate for me.

I think I like this. It’s a bit odd, but good odd. I didn’t realize that this had a green base when I put my kettle on, so I ended up steeping in in 90C water and it was delicious and smooth.

Flavors: Nutty, Smooth, Soybean, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

Mikumofu

This one grew on me a lot in the short time it took for me to finish a sample size!

My mom picked up some of this in the summer, so I avoided getting it myself and tried hers over Christmas. Oddly, it just tasted like Laoshan Genmaicha, to me. Lovely green beany flavours, toasty rice. Maybe a touch of vanilla. I certainly didn’t pick out any juniper. If this sticks around, I might grab a sample size to try again, because I don’t feel like I got the full experience. Perhaps just a flukey ingredient assortment in my infuser.

Cameron B.

It’s definitely very similar to Laoshan Genmaicha, the vanilla is pretty subtle and I’ve never tasted juniper in it.

I love both verdants laoshan green and laoshan genmaicha, so was pretty sure I’d like this one too. And I do!
It is smooth, buttery and nutty, and everything blends perfectly together for a beautiful and fancy genmaicha type tea.
And, the leaf is visually lovely as well – simply gorgeous!

nope. not for me. I’ve had this a couple times now and it’s just not working for me. something about the green and the berries that creates a flavour that is completely disharmonious to my mouth. The rest of the ounce i purchase will be off to Terri so that she can give it a try!

Roswell Strange

Aww; that’s sad :(

Kittenna

My mom had some of this, which I tried about a week ago – it just tasted like Laoshan Green Genmaicha to me.

I ordered just a sample size of this, because on the one hand, it sounds amazing, but on the other hand, my love for green teas and green blends has been flagging lately, and I wasn’t sure if I would love it.

The blend looks lovely—Laoshan Green tea in those familiar curls, with yellow safflowers, long rice grains, and juniper berries. The brew comes out very harmonious, with a vegetal green base that isn’t distracting or too heady, and a rich, buttery finish with hints of vanilla and toasted rice, the rice being less evident than in the Laoshan Chocolate Genmaicha. I’m not sure if I’m getting anything from the juniper or safflowers, but then again, the berries might just be there for decoration. Overall, it’s a comforting and enjoyable blend, and worth trying, though I’m not sure I’ll get more as it’s not often available, and didn’t amaze me so much that I would search far and wide for it.