Minnesota Blend

Green Tea
Green Tea, Juniper, Minnesota Wild Rice, Organic Marigold, Organic Vanilla Beans, Saffron
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “This tea is absolutely divine. To look at it's beautiful with the marigold petals. But to sip (really slurp and gulp), oh my my. And even though I seriously over steeped this, it was still...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 216 tasting notes
  • “Sad Sipdown (123)! First off, this is tasting note 1900! Woot! That means the next really big number is going to be 2000 - I think I need to start planning now for what tea I'll celebrate that...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1976 tasting notes
  • “*GA! GA! OH LA LA!* ...sorry. I was _really_ excited for this blend, and I love *Sarsonator* forever for sending me a sample! I had to add this tea to the database, so I guess no one else on here...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 538 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea (Special)

In May 2014, we worked with Minnesota’s Excel Energy Center to create a custom tea blend just for Lady Gaga, to welcome her back to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the St. Paul stop on her artRAVE tour. Thus, the Minnesota Blend was born!

Our goal with this blend was to create something that was distinctly Minnesotan with additions like Minnesota Wild Rice and north woods juniper berries, while still feeling decadent and rich for a tea lover like Lady Gaga. Vanilla bean and generous saffron make the brew rich, full and sweet without overwhelming and heavy-handed cloying artificial sweeteners.

At the base and the heart of the Minnesota Blend is one of our favorite teas: Spring Harvest Laoshan Green. Our good friend QingQing is the He Family’s eldest daughter. We’ve known QingQing since she and David met as classmates at Qingdao University in 2007. QingQing He is a huge fan of Lady Gaga. That’s why, for our original blend, we used first picking Laoshan green tea, picked especially by QingQing and rush shipped – just in time! – directly to Minneapolis from her family’s farm in Laoshan.

This is a special, limited reblend. We do not plan to add the Minnesota Blend to our permanent collection, and are offering it now due to popular demand from fans online and locally here in Minnesota.

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

This tea is absolutely divine. To look at it’s beautiful with the marigold petals. But to sip (really slurp and gulp), oh my my. And even though I seriously over steeped this, it was still ridiculously delicious. No bitterness even though I forgot about it for about 5 + minutes.

So smooth and creamy. I got loads of butter with mild vegetal in the background. It is deliciously toasty, just like a traditional genmaicha, but this has a little extra something that makes it so much more tastier and special than a traditional genmaicha. I didn’t notice the juniper, but I pretty much slurped my first cup back in about 5 minutes, it’s just that good!

I’m trying for a second steep, even though I’m not sure if there’s any flavour left in the leaf, but this is far too delicious to not at least try.

Why Verdant? Why does this have to be limited blend? If this became part of the permanent collection I’d be all over it.

This is tea that generated the amazing swap with Cameron B., who was generous enough to share this with me. Thank you so much!

Cameron B.

You should try their Laoshan Genmaicha, it’s the same tea but without the juniper and vanilla. :)

gmathis

Marigold always makes a tea more cheerful!

1976 tasting notes

Sad Sipdown (123)!

First off, this is tasting note 1900! Woot! That means the next really big number is going to be 2000 – I think I need to start planning now for what tea I’ll celebrate that landmark with…

Thank you Cameron B. for sharing a cup worth of this awesome limited edition blend. I had no idea I wanted to try it until you wrote about it, and then after I did some looking in to it I felt like I had to try it even though I was hoping so much that I’d hate it. Why was I hoping I’d hate it? ‘Cause the only thing worse than hating a tea blend is falling in love with a limited edition blend. And of course, that’s what happened.

Aesthetically, the tea blend is beautiful! The deep green leaves make the yellow marigold really pop, and the juniper berries are super fun to look at. Smell wise, I don’t get a lot from the dry leaf, but steeping it smells like a high quality traditional Genmaicha; a little greener than roasty.

Taste wise; this is really smooth and silky. It weighs only slightly more on the green side than the roasty, but both are present and really well executed. I’m gonna have to agree with Cameron B. and say that the primary flavour I’m getting from the green base is butternut squash. Yummy! The roasty brown rice has a nice nutty quality to it as well that I’m also noticing. But most importantly, this has the most divine vanilla flavour. It’s gentle, but man is it present and very, very raw/natural. The vanilla really makes the tea, and honestly I haven’t tasted a vanilla flavour as amazing as this since Butiki’s Creamy Eggnog; which is pretty close to the perfect green vanilla tea. The green base here even shares the same buttery aspect alongside the very gentle vegetal taste.

I honestly don’t taste much of the Juniper berries (you’re right Cam, Junipers do have a sorta pine like quality to them) but I think I ever so faintly get a peek at the very, very end of the sip. If there’s one thing I’d want more of in this blend, it’s the Junipers…

But even so, I’m in love. I want more of this, like now. At least 2 oz. of it would make me a very, very happy tea drinker – ‘cause guys, I’m like 99% sure this is my Japon. It’s so smooth and silky and creamy, and rich in the most calming and pacifying way. And very subtly flavoured.

And dammit, ‘cause it’s limited edition! GAH!

VariaTEA

I just wrote tasting note 1900 yesterday. You caught up to me! Also, I like how “my Japon” is a thing :P

Cameron B.

I am now the proud owner of 4 ounces of this one. Muahaha!

TeaBrat

oooh I want some!

Cameron B.

TeaBrat, I suppose I could send you a sample…

Roswell Strange

@VariaTEA, I definitely noticed that last night ;) Wasn’t gonna point it out though because we both went really overboard the last time we were at the same amount of notes.

GA! GA! OH LA LA!

…sorry. I was really excited for this blend, and I love Sarsonator forever for sending me a sample! I had to add this tea to the database, so I guess no one else on here has tried it yet? Hooray pressure! ;)

So, this is a genmaicha with some unconventional ingredients. I’ve had the base tea on its own and enjoyed it, I remember it being a smooth and creamy light green tea. This tea has two types of toasted rice – jasmine and Minnesota wild. There are also lovely golden flower petals for color, and juniper berries (I assume they’re dried, but they still have their plump fresh appearance). I didn’t see any vanilla bean pieces in mine, but supposedly they’re in there. The dry scent is toasted grains with a very light vegetal note in the background.

Brewed, the aroma is a basic genmaicha – green tea (albeit a mild green tea) and lovely toasted rice. Have I mentioned I love genmaicha? Sipping this tea, I get the impression of a traditional genmaicha done very well. The base tea is exceptionally smooth and creamy, its main vegetal note would be butternut squash. As I near the end of the sip, it becomes creamy vanilla almond or soy milk. Mmm… The toasted rice adds that lovely nutty flavor, and goes perfectly with the creamy soy and light oat notes of the base tea. I would have enjoyed a tad bit more vanilla, as I only really find it near the end of the sip. But I digress! I honestly am unsure what juniper berries taste like, but I would assume similar to pine? Either way, I don’t get any of that here. Same with the saffron.

Overall, I actually really like this tea. I would consider it more of a traditional genmaicha, but exceptionally smooth and creamy. Delicious! :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that this blend was created for Lady Gaga, in case anyone was confused by the beginning of the note… Lol.

Flavors: Butter, Butternut Squash, Creamy, Nutty, Oats, Smooth, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Vegetal

Sarsonator

I think you may end up with more of this since you like it so much. LOL. It just wasn’t my jam. I will try again, though! I’m really excited that you liked it!!!!

Cameron B.

It wasn’t necessarily what I expected, which was a more contemporary genmaicha. But I love it for what it is. :)

Sarsonator

That’s awesome. I do sometimes like a genmaicha, but this one tasted less toasty and more green. I am trying the Paris again. Wish me luck! :)

Good luck! I had a frustrating time when I first got that tea… :P

Sarsonator

You were right! I think I’m in the tea twilight zone….

TheTeaFairy

So happy you finally got to try it cameron :-)

Mikumofu

First time I was the first person to add something to my wishlist, haha!

Skysamurai

Seeing as how I am from MN and I love genmaicha too… I shall have to try it haha