Tieguanyin Spiced Orange

Herbal Oolong Blend
Birch Bark, Oolong Tea, Orange Peel, Sarsaparilla, Vanilla
Autumn Leaf Pile, Creamy, Orange Zest, Roasted, Spices, Sweet, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Cameron - while i agree with your comment that this was the best of the three...this is yet another one that i'm underwhelmed with, and finding no vanilla just a baguely sort of orange like tea...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “Thanks *Cameron B* for the sample! I actually quite like this. The TGY is of course, really delicious. The additions to it are subtle, but welcome and seem to pair very nicely. I would not have...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 912 tasting notes
  • “Unlike the only other commenter here, I steeped this...closer to the directions. I steeped it for a minute rather than 30 seconds at 205 degrees and I have to say that I'm not getting much other...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 518 tasting notes
  • “This is the final tea from *Verdant's* blends club for the month of August. This was really the only one out of the three that I was any kind of excited to try... I don't really have any experience...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 482 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea (Special)

The aroma on this blend reminds us of fresh baked pie. The flavor is juicy, spiced and creamy from a balanced mix built around Mast Zhang’s Traditional Tieguanyin. A simple counterpoint of orange peel, sarsaparilla, birch and vanilla finish off an already luscious tea for a real treat.

Ingredients: Master Zhang’s Traditional Tieguanyin, orange peel, birch, sarsaparilla, vanilla

From the Blends club (August 2014)

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

Cameron – while i agree with your comment that this was the best of the three…this is yet another one that i’m underwhelmed with, and finding no vanilla just a baguely sort of orange like tea that’s an oolong. another not really a fan of sort of thing for me…especially this type. Terri….i hope you enjoy! lol

Thanks Cameron B for the sample!

I actually quite like this. The TGY is of course, really delicious. The additions to it are subtle, but welcome and seem to pair very nicely. I would not have know there was orange just by the taste, but the subtle spices are very nice! Yummo.

Unlike the only other commenter here, I steeped this…closer to the directions. I steeped it for a minute rather than 30 seconds at 205 degrees and I have to say that I’m not getting much other than the tea itself. The additional ingredients aren’t making much of an impact with that short of a steeping time, though the tieguanyin itself is quite nice. A bit roasty and sweet. Next time (next steep?) I’ll try to remember to steep this for a bit longer. Right now it’s giving me a headache because I haven’t eaten anything yet today (darn you oolong effect!)

Second steep (the next day) – done at boiling (thanks Dinosara) and 4 minutes. I can taste more now, a tiny bit of citrus and what I think is the sarsaparilla. Which I apparently have been pronouncing wrong forever. The vanilla is very faint, if it’s there at all, it’s hard for me to tell. And I don’t know what birch is supposed to taste like.

Overall, I think I like the plain tieguanyin better.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 750 OZ / 22180 ML

haha oh verdant and their short steepings for blends clubs..

Starfevre

Yeah, I don’t know why I pay attention to it. It might be enough time to get the ‘tea’ taste but not really enough for the rest of the ingredients. I assume that’s why it’s all ‘boiling’ too since that’s bad for the oolong but almost necessary for the orange peels, etc.

Dinosara

Boiling isn’t bad for oolong… That’s a common misconception. I used to always brew oolongs at 195F but now I usually brew them at boiling and they are fine, even western style. They are more robust than people give them credit for!

Starfevre

Good to know. Thanks Dinosara.

This is the final tea from Verdant’s blends club for the month of August. This was really the only one out of the three that I was any kind of excited to try… I don’t really have any experience with tieguanyin itself, but at least there’s no licorice or flowers in this one. :P The leaves are a dark brown-green color, and they’re somewhat loosely rolled. The dry scent is mostly roasted oolong, but I do get a little bit of citrus and vanilla. I steeped about a teaspoon and a half for 4 minutes at 190 degrees.

Brewed, the aroma is still mostly roasty and oolongish with maybe a little bit of vanilla? However, the other elements are there in the taste, thank goodness! The oolong itself is very light and sweet, with just enough of a roasty punch. There’s a nice orange flavor, especially near the end of the sip and in the aftertaste. It kind of builds as I continue to drink. The vanilla, well… it’s not there as much as I would like it to be. I can taste a teeny bit. There’s also just the slightest suggestion of spice at the end, I guess it must be coming from the sarsaparilla. I have no idea what birch bark tastes like, so I couldn’t tell you whether or not it’s here. Overall, this is a lovely light and slightly creamy citrusy tea, it kind of reminds me of Fauchon’s Sweet Almond & Orange tea. Thank goodness, I at least liked one tea from this box… glares at Verdant.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Creamy, Orange Zest, Roasted, Spices, Sweet, Vanilla

yyz

Glad that one suited you. Birch is usually a slightly menthol flavour.

Cameron B.

Oh I see, thanks for telling me. :D I don’t think I got any menthol.