Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Cocoa, Coffee, Malt, Salt, Smoke, Honey, Dark Chocolate, Graham, Oak wood, Nutty, Burnt Sugar, Cacao, Dark Bittersweet, Stewed Fruits, Cream, Black Currant, Cherry, Chocolate, Baked Bread, Graham Cracker, Grain, Sweet Potatoes, Molasses, Toasted, Earth, Sweet, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon, Dill, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Nuts, Chestnut, Burnt, Toast, Brown Toast, Roasted, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Creamy, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Raisins, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Vanilla, Walnut, Fruity, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

My first ever Chinese black tea….mmm. I won’t try to describe it because I don’t have enough experience with them and everyone else’s description here is so good! If this is what Chinese blacks are like I am going to have to try more :)

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

This sample is one I’ve had for a while. I wasn’t particularly fond of it, so I hadn’t taken the time to review it until my newest tea-convert frisfries wanted to start trying tea.
First infusion: 30 sec. A bit salty and smokey, with just an undertone of coffee breath. Maybe a hint of chocolate. I just can’t get over how much it smells like my SO’s coffee breath!
Second infusion: 45 sec. Stronger coffee breath. Still salty. Not a fan, but maybe I could see how others could be? It may be because I don’t like coffee OR chocolate.

Flavors: Cocoa, Coffee, Malt, Salt, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Initially, this tea smells a little like the ocean, kinda salty, but with underlying roasting tones. I also smell a little bit of maple syrup. I know more about beer than tea, and if this tea was a beer it would be something akin to a honey nut brown ale.

Sipping down this tea with a friend as we samples some more black teas since it’s the type of tea I generally stay away from. This black tea is quite mild compared to many others that I have tasted and it’s almost like a weakened warm honey in a way as well. We actually finished the pot off which means I didn’t pour it out, but once I was done with my fourth cup I came to the conclusion that this tea doesn’t really offer a taste that I would consider chasing after- though as a black tea it isn’t bitter and rough toward my taste buds, I just don’t see myself desiring to brew the rest of my Laoshan Black anytime soon.

2 tsp

Let’s say a regular black tea is about 10$ for 100g. I paid 27$ shipping included for 4oz (100g). The taste is OK but for the price, I would simply add honey to my regular tea. I guess all these high reviews are about an older batch as some reviews suggested.

Flavors: Honey