Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Chocolate, Earth, Graham, Honey, Sweet, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Dill, Grain, Baked Bread, Malt, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Chestnut, Burnt, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Toast, Toasted, Brown Toast, Roasted, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Molasses, Raisins, Creamy, Soybean, Cacao, Fruity, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5241 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3048 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2511 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

This is just really tasty. This definitely and with no hesitation goes on my list of favorite teas. It’s got a toasty, chocolatey taste. Tastes good with sweetened milk too – definitely a treat.

My first ever Chinese black tea….mmm. I won’t try to describe it because I don’t have enough experience with them and everyone else’s description here is so good! If this is what Chinese blacks are like I am going to have to try more :)

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

Sample from the 5 for $5 deal!
Gongfu’d it at 205 degrees and with the instructions on Verdant’s website.

Okay, so I enjoyed this with some friends in my dorm lounge. Everybody was very pleased with the tea! I also enjoyed it. It brews into a very light liquor with a sweet honey smell.

The taste was very refreshing. That being said, I’m not quite sure I get the fanaticism behind this tea. Its good, but Steepster almost seems to treat it like the epitome of Chinese blacks. To be fair though, looking at the price, this is a very admirable quality tea with a nice pricetag. I taste honey and chocolate. It has a very mild earthy tone. It lasted well under about 10 steepings in my little Yixing. I think this would be really good iced… Next time I order from verdant, I might throw in some of this just for that purpose! Give it a try!

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Graham, Honey, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

It’s changed over the past two years with different harvests…I’d say a couple years ago it was much more than it is today heh. Imo there are better black teas out there but I very much like the flavour profile and the fact that it works well in a travel mug and at home, and no matter what I seem to do with it, it gives me a consistent cup. Heh but there are teas I love more…but they’re pricier and more finicky…

President Markle

Good point! I didn’t know about the consistency factor since I just have a sample. That would be very helpful for a daily morning drink.. Thanks for sharing!

(i also really like this western brew over gonfu..though i’ve done both. it’s easier and tastes better to me lol)

Remarkable! Smooth with deep fudge notes. Even the body is supple and glides cleanly over the tongue. Great find!

Well, I have had some of this in my stash for a bit. I am surprised I have never written about it. This tea is popular on Steepster. I think I get it, but for me this one does not jump out and scream buy tons of me. It is a decent black tea, with a bit of a roasty, cocoa flavor. I really enjoy the Laoshan Roasted Ooolong much more. Sometimes I worry when I don’t LOVE a tea that is so popular, but I think this is what I like about Steepster and tea. There is so much variety, that not everything has to be YOUR favorite.