Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Cocoa, Grain, Chocolate, Earth, Graham, Honey, Sweet, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon, Dill, Baked Bread, Malt, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Nuts, Chestnut, Burnt, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Toast, Toasted, Brown Toast, Roasted, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Molasses, Raisins, Creamy, Soybean, Cacao, Fruity, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5400 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3074 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2606 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

This is just really tasty. This definitely and with no hesitation goes on my list of favorite teas. It’s got a toasty, chocolatey taste. Tastes good with sweetened milk too – definitely a treat.

My first ever Chinese black tea….mmm. I won’t try to describe it because I don’t have enough experience with them and everyone else’s description here is so good! If this is what Chinese blacks are like I am going to have to try more :)

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

Creamy, rich, dark chocolate caramel! It has a nice earthy feel without the roasted flavour. It’s pretty darn good..

On a side note, I love the way David brings the farmers into the picture. Whilst sipping this tea, I was thinking of the He family, the work that went into producing this marvellous tea, and the general life of a tea farmer. I’m very grateful.

I am obviously falling in love with malty, chocolatey black teas. I can definitely see why this one is so popular! The dried leaves are small and curly, and smell like chocolate and bread. The chocolate aroma intensifies once the water hits it. Usually I set a timer and walk away to do something else while my tea is brewing, but this time I just stood over the cup, inhaling the chocolately steam and willing the timer to go faster. :)

The flavour is heavy with the same dark cocoa, plus cooked grain or bread. It’s smooth, and so easy to drink. Wow, this is delicious! I’m already looking forward to the resteep.

Flavors: Cocoa, Grain

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Wow, this tea is so flavorful! There’s a definite roasted taste here, which I really enjoy. I can also taste some of the cocoa note mentioned on Verdant’s site description. That said, it’s not a sweet tea. Instead it’s really savory, with strong malty notes and a delicious aroma that’s especially potent with the first few cups. Later steepings were a bit lighter, with notes of raisin. I steeped my sample at least five times (Western style, but short steeps), and each cup was tasty.

This tea is impressive, with lots of staying power. I can see why everyone raves about it! I’m glad I’ll be drinking more of it in the form of Laoshan Village Chai—but I may have to order some of it plain in the near future, too.