Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Cocoa, Roasted nuts, Baked Bread, Chocolate, Chestnut, Roasted Barley, Burnt, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Toast, Toasted, Brown Toast, Grain, Caramel, Malt, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Creamy, Roasted, Soybean
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4727 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1637 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

This is just really tasty. This definitely and with no hesitation goes on my list of favorite teas. It’s got a toasty, chocolatey taste. Tastes good with sweetened milk too – definitely a treat.

My first ever Chinese black tea….mmm. I won’t try to describe it because I don’t have enough experience with them and everyone else’s description here is so good! If this is what Chinese blacks are like I am going to have to try more :)

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

Hmm expected it to be more chocolate-y. But I definitely still enjoyed it. It’s nutty with hints of cocoa. Kinda similar to the Chocolate Genmaicha in my book.
Not too inspired for much today thanks to yet again, family drama.
But it was a nice cup of tea for today. (:

Flavors: Cocoa, Roasted nuts

Cameron B.

I still need to try this one at some point… I’m not surprised to hear it’s similar to the genmaicha, considering it’s the base tea. Sounds yummy.

Ost

You would like it!

Cameron B.

There are a few things I’d like to try from Verdant, and a few that I have tried and want more of. So I suppose I’ll have to make an order sometime soon. :P

4g, stoneware gaiwan

Exactly as advertised! Heavy malt and light chocolate in both scent and taste and slightly toasted taste in the beginning. Wet leaves have a dried longan fruit scent (so used to have steal these for treats as a child, they’re sticky/syrupy and smokey more than sweet) but without any of the actual associated sweetness.

Light to medium honey after scent in cup and lightens up on the malt taste after the 4th steep. Malt dies down around the 5th steep but then a sliiiight tingly minty starts in on the tongue which gets stronger well into the 8th steep. Wet leaf mellows out to being more equally malt and chocolate.

Overall, feels like it should be heavy but is quite mellow and smooth. Feels like it wants to turn astringent and bitter but doesn’t, I like being little sloppy and abusive with my times so that’s a huge plus.

I did not enjoy the taste of this tea. The smell of the tea threw me off before even trying it.