Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Roast nuts, Cherry, Creamy, Fig, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Raisins, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla, Apricot, Dark Chocolate, Nuts, Nutty, Oats, Peach, Broth, Roasted Barley, Tea, Brown Toast, Roasted nuts, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Roasted, Wood, Caramel, Honey, Earth, Licorice, Peat, Plums, Dark Bittersweet, Butter, Toast, Wheat, Dried Fruit, Stonefruits, Rose, White Grapes, Coffee, Graham Cracker, Rum, Salt, Smoke, Graham, Oak wood, Cacao, Stewed Fruits, Cream, Black Currant, Toasted, Cinnamon, Dill, Chestnut, Burnt, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Coconut, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Walnut, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

A nice tea.

This is beloved among Steepsterites but I have to say it tastes a bit thin to me. Used the whole 6g sample in my little teapot and went by the Western brewing guide.

Maybe it’s the harvest (it doesn’t say which) or maybe it’s a bit old or maybe it’s travelled too far and too long to where I am in Australia. Some other Verdant teas have blown me away though.. so it’s probably just an old sample.

Cocoa, chocolate, grains, sweet cracker. It’s still nice.

Was deciding between ordering some more Chinese blacks from either Verdant or Teavivre. I think I’ll go with Teavivre this time since I had the Yunnan Dian Hong Gold Tips around three years ago and still think about that sweet potato note to this very day.

Add this one to your Verdant order if you like chocolatey teas.

I had an elderly sample of this, and my attempt to drink up all the older teas continues so I served this at tea time on Tuesday as well as Wednesday after lunch.

Both times we served Swedish Pastry Ring that my youngest made and it was SOOOO GOOD. She asked which I preferred – the Kringle or the Pastry Ring, but it was really apples and oranges. The Kringle was so light and fluffy and soft, it really me so much of a Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut but with nuts, butter, and brown sugar in the middle. The Swedish Pastry Ring had an entirely different texture but was equally heavenly. The pastry had more body and was like a truly delectable sweet pie crust. The browned butter glaze sent me right over the moon.

The tea – this was surprisingly light for a black tea. The friend who had it with me the second day used to love black tea most of all, then found her taste switch to Puerh, then white or green. She enjoyed this, and I think it helped that it is a very light and mild black tea, not drying, and with a lot of oolong characteristics going on, including that signature mineral aftertaste. Sweet stuff!

Evol Ving Ness

When you say elderly, what does that mean in this case?

Fjellrev

Probably just a sample that’s been sitting around for quite a while and is getting old/stale?

ashmanra

It was a sample. I can’t remember where it came from – a swap or the five for $5 offer, but I think the very “youngest” it can be is a year, and it had been opened. It was still very tasty, though!

Evol Ving Ness

Hmm, so a year or more is elderly. Thanks for clarifying.

ashmanra

If it had been in a good tin I would keep it for three years with no problem, but it was a sample in a brown envelope with the top folded and a clothespin on it! I feel like that ages faster than a double lidded tin would allow. Thus my designation! I am trying to drink oldest samples first, and samples that I failed to store well. They are good, so I won’t chuck them out, but they do need to be used ASAP, especially to reduce clutter as we renovate our kitchen since my “tea center” is being moved.

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, got it! Now I totally get it. And kitchen reno, how exciting! But the tea centre being moved, now that’s got to be traumatic!

ashmanra

It’s exciting actually! The rest of the reno is traumatic, tho! LOL Hubby is doing it all himself. Raising the cabinets, painting them, changing the doors, tearing out a soffit, pulling up two underlayments and three layers of vinyl…But I get my own cabinet top and bottom with countertop for the kettle and storage for all the tea and teaware!! Squeeee! And I don’t have any loss of use (for tea) the way he is doing it. Might not be able to cook for a few days, but who cares? We have tea!

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, that’s the most important. :)

This was a really pleasant tea, and this means something coming from a person who doesn’t often enjoy straight black tea! I prepared this gong fu style, and it performed very well! A lot of chocolate, but there are some lower notes of nuts and baked goods

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Roast nuts

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Looking at the number of tasting notes for this tea, it is doubtful that I need to add another one, but I’m going to go ahead and do so. This is one of those teas that you just have to talk about, one of those teas on which you absolutely have to share your thoughts. Readers will perhaps examine the above sentences and conclude that I really love this tea. If they were to come to that conclusion, they would be 100% correct.

I prepared this tea using the gongfu method outlined on the Verdant Tea website. I only made two small modifications. Rather than using a 5 ounce gaiwan, I resorted to my trusty 4 ounce gaiwan that I have been favoring for many of my review sessions lately. I wanted to both really focus the flavor and brew this tea strong. The first infusion was 10 seconds in 205 F water. This infusion was followed by eight additional infusions at 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, and 26 seconds. This was the only other modification that I made, as Verdant suggests an initial steep of 2-3 seconds followed by 3 seconds on each additional infusion. In truth, I prepared this more like an oolong because I wanted a strong first impression followed by a series of subtle contrasts.

The initial infusions were amazingly aromatic with cocoa, toasted grain, vanilla, raisin, and fig aromas jumping out of the glass. In the mouth, there was an incredible mixture of malt, vanilla bean, raisin, fig, prune, cocoa, dried black cherry, sweet potato, and toasted grain flavors with a long, smooth chocolaty fade that highlighted a hint of creaminess. Later infusions, saw the chocolate recede somewhat and grain and fruit flavors come forward. On these infusions, I noted a nice mix of dried fruit underscored by hints of toasted grain and vanilla on the finish.

As I said, I really love this tea. It is far from the most complex black tea I have had, but the aromas and flavors this tea presents are strong and work very well together. I would like to see a little more depth in the layering of flavors, but as is, this tea is very, very good. There is a reason so many people like this tea. Go out and try it if you have yet to do so.

Flavors: Cherry, Cocoa, Creamy, Fig, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Raisins, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I really like this laoshan black! It brews up a nice thick orange soup, it’s quite like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, nice and malty and woody, with subtle cherry and peach/apricot notes, later steeps bring out more nutty tastes, strong cherry with dark chocolate.

Flavors: Apricot, Cherry, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Nuts, Nutty, Oats, Peach