Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Caramel, Chocolate, Cannabis, Hops, Malt, Cocoa, Wood, Honey, Coconut, Roasted Barley
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2475 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1390 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

This is just really tasty. This definitely and with no hesitation goes on my list of favorite teas. It’s got a toasty, chocolatey taste. Tastes good with sweetened milk too – definitely a treat.

My first ever Chinese black tea….mmm. I won’t try to describe it because I don’t have enough experience with them and everyone else’s description here is so good! If this is what Chinese blacks are like I am going to have to try more :)

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

Received my Verdant order in the mail today. I called in sick so I was home when it came, which is good because my boyfriend gets off work before I do and always sees my parcels before I can hide them, so he has no idea I had another tea delivery :)

I tried this one first because it smelled quite malty and chocolatey. I ended up ruining two batches of this by forgetting about it, and man was it awful oversteeped. I finally got it right and this tea wasn’t what I thought it would be. I wasn’t getting any chocolate or caramel notes, only a roasted barley flavour. It was still quite good, especially with agave and cream, but I’m hoping I’ll notice some of the other flavours the more I drink this.

That’s too bad. What were your steeping parameters for your happy-er spot?

ashleyelizabeth

Oh probably about 5 mins boiling water. I am not big on setting a timer or anything. I am going to try it at 2 or 3 minutes next time. The first two times it was like 10-15 mins.

Woah 10 mins is a lot hahaha. Try 3 mins boiling. That’s my go to place unless I need a bolder cup then it’s closer to 5.

This came with an order as a sample, and I was pleasantly surprised. The intense chocolate and caramel taste was not something I expected in a black tea, and the aroma was very potent. Incredible!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Chocolate

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

ok, this will be one of the weirder reviews on steepster. Yesterday i posted to see how I should steep this tea using a teaspoon, a finum and a timer (I don’t know how to use anything but a teapot at this point in my tea education). I didn’t want to ruin this “legendary” tea for myself with a stupid steep (which i do lots of)….. so this morning I took the plunge and steeped 3 tsp in 16 oz of water for 3 minutes….I couldn’t wait to smell this wet (as dry is was a lovely deep chocolate smelling tea)… so I steep it and what do I smell?

HASHISH OR POT!!??!! I dunno which one of those things it was that I smell at concerts. Seriously. I was transported straight back to the California Music Festival with REO Speedwagon, Aerosmith and Ted Nugent headlining…. I tried again. BAM! Same thing!!! Hash or Pot!!! Did anyone else get the same note off of this? Now that I’m drinking it, (with milk and sugar of course) I’m getting some of the other notes… wood, barley, bread, rolling papers (seriously, I’m getting a bit of paper-ish thing….maybe that’s the wood note). This is a tea with a ton of depth, even on first steeping by a rookie. I can see why many have made a fuss over this…. firstly, you get a flashback for free (if you went to concerts in the 70s and 80s…hahaha), secondly, this is a wonderfully complex tea that I can detect NO astringency from whatsoever. Because I take milk and sugar in all my tea, I can taste “through” them to the subtleties that each tea brings. I would not hesitate to recommend this tea to an avid tea drinker….or a pothead. Fabulous.

Flavors: Cannabis, Chocolate, Hops, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Zeks

Damn, I wish I knew what cannabis smells like, oh wai…. do I now? XD

haha that’s funny. not an experience i’ve had but amusing :) it’s worth trying a little with no milk and sugar

Bonnie

Funny you should say…but at tea tastings I’ve often scented tea’s that have that cannabis note (although not the flavor). This tea is best western brewed…which means if nobody bothers to tell you is ‘in a teapot’ using a basket (I like a deep stainless one which are easy to find). My own pot is pretty inexpensive…glass with a stainless steep basket. The basket can be cleaned with baking soda to get the oils out or chucked into the top of my dishwasher. At any rate, for a 24 oz pot I use a bit more than a tablespoon of tea and steep almost 3 minutes.
I like a strong brew. My tea is milk (evaporated) and sweetened too.