Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Dill, Grain, Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Chocolate, Chestnut, Burnt, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Toast, Toasted, Brown Toast, Roasted, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Creamy, Soybean
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2957 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1698 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

This is just really tasty. This definitely and with no hesitation goes on my list of favorite teas. It’s got a toasty, chocolatey taste. Tastes good with sweetened milk too – definitely a treat.

My first ever Chinese black tea….mmm. I won’t try to describe it because I don’t have enough experience with them and everyone else’s description here is so good! If this is what Chinese blacks are like I am going to have to try more :)

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

Lewis & Clarke TTB

Tea of the morning! I’ve been wanting to try this particular tea for a long time, mostly because of the hype it gets around here. The leaves look exactly like Laoshan Green but black. :P They’re thin and brittle and curled into little loops in some cases. Dry scent is pure cocoa, yum! I did a 3 minute steep as per usual for black teas.

Brewed, this tea smells very similar to Fujian black teas that I’ve tried – it has that same savory dill note. This tea also tastes similar to my idea of a Fujian tea. It’s strong and has robust flavors with that dill note along with dark grain and some lovely cocoa. This tea, however, has a nice burnt brown sugar or caramel flavor to it that really adds depth. And it’s a teensy bit sweeter, especially in the end and aftertaste, and there’s a touch of cinnamon.

Overall, quite good, but not mind-blowing. :)

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Dill, Grain

boychik

i get caraway seed in this

That’s probably the flavor that I interpret as dill. :P

boychik

i think so. i got bulk spices in Turkish store nearby. I dont know why i bought some, i dont know the recipe where to use it and i dont bake bread. but i luv the smell of caraway seeds. Childhood memories of dark bread with those seeds on top

Cameron B.

I don’t think I’m familiar enough with caraway to pick it out as a flavor, I need to buy some and eat it so I’ll know next time. :P

boychik

i can send you some. i just chew a few;)

Cameron B.

Hah! I’ll remember that when we do a swap eventually. :D

Stephanie

I’ve made Irish soda bread with caraway seeds. It is super easy, no bread skills required! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Irish-Soda-Bread-with-Raisins-and-Caraway-107136

What more can be said about this tea? Delicious tea that I really think deserves to be tried by every serious tea drinker at least once. Blew my mind the first I tried it a couple years ago and one of those teas I serve to people who don’t drink tea very often to show them the possibilities. I guess you could say I like it!

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Lewis and Clarke TTB

When I saw this in the box, I squealed in excitement (which caused my bf to call me tea crazy). I’ve been wanting to try this for awhile. The dry leaf smells so much like cocoa powder, it’s insane. There’s also a touch of that roasted peanut smell.

I used ~5g for 8oz 200F for 5,20,30,45 seconds. The first cup tasted like honey, with a touch of caramel. Second cup is similar, but with a strong cocoa note hitting the back of your tongue at the end of the sip.

Third steep, a nice dark bread like note appears. It’s dark bread slathered in honey and a heavy dusting of cocoa powder. Sinfully delicious. The forth loses some of the honey and gets some grainy (barley?) notes at the front of the sip.

It’s not often that I finish my cup of tea while it’s still piping hot, but I just couldn’t wait for the cup to cool. I need to get this!

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cheri

I’m so excited to get this box next. It sounds amazing.

Cameron B.

Yum, can’t wait! Is it a lot of small samples or are they bigger?

madametj

I had a feeling your boyfriend would make a comment on the box. hehe.

@Cameron The Verdant samples are individually sized, as are a lot of the other companies. Some companies in the box (like Yunnan Sourcing and Whispering Pines) have larger pouches to be shared.

Mandy

The whispering pines is a big bag full of individual sample sized baggies (:
And yes, he did but he pretty much accepts it. And I think he secretly thinks the idea is cool. He’s told a couple of his friends about it, haha.

madametj

lol that’s funny. The idea for this TTB specifically or just drinking tea in general? :P

Mandy

He tells everyone I’m addicted to tea, but he’s told a few of his friends about TTB “she takes she wants and but in her own tea and then sends it to the next person”.

Cheri

My spouse is the same way. He tells people about the tea thing, and the tea boxes and my swaps and he teases me when I don’t get tea in the mail.