Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Roast nuts, Cherry, Creamy, Fig, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Raisins, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla, Apricot, Dark Chocolate, Nuts, Nutty, Oats, Peach, Broth, Roasted Barley, Tea, Brown Toast, Roasted nuts, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Roasted, Wood, Caramel, Honey, Earth, Licorice, Peat, Plums, Dark Bittersweet, Butter, Toast, Wheat, Dried Fruit, Stonefruits, Rose, White Grapes, Coffee, Graham Cracker, Rum, Salt, Smoke, Graham, Oak wood, Cacao, Stewed Fruits, Cream, Black Currant, Toasted, Cinnamon, Dill, Chestnut, Burnt, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Coconut, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Walnut, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

This was a part of Verdant’s 5 for 5.
30, 60, 90, ect.

The dry leaf has this really nice chocolaty smell.
The first steep reminded me of chocolate covered fruit, pomegranate or cherry. The texture was really silky. Steep two really brought out a rich cocoa flavor like hot chocolate. Steep three was incredibly sweet. Less hot chocolaty and more like a chocolate bar now. No astringency at all.

Overall, a pretty delicious tea. It wasn’t very malty or citrusy which was nice. However, after reading over the Verdant controversy, I don’t know if I can bring myself to make a real order.

Flavors: Cherry, Cocoa, Vanilla

Got this tea in my “5 for 5” sampler pack.

I have to say it was delicious! The opening in dark chocolate – savory, a touch bitter, a touch sweet. I was also reminded in some ways of beef broth. There was also a toastiness, like roasted grains.

Flavors: Broth, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Roasted Barley, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I don’t know what to say. I want to take a bath in this tea. It’s warm. It’s toasty. It’s chocolatey. It’s like drinking a cup of hot chocolate. I wish I had had THIS last night when I was craving something sweet.

I’m sad I only have a sample size.

Flavors: Brown Toast, Chocolate, Roasted nuts, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g
Daylon R Thomas

The Loashan Oolong was one of my favorites from that company. It is very similar to the black with a smoother body in my opinion.

I can’t imagine it being any smoother than this! I’ll have to do a real order from Verdant one day.

Very deep fragrance. Smells like burnt sugar (in a good way). Initial steep was for 30 seconds as directed at 205 F. Very light and refreshing taste when stepped for 30 seconds. Hints of brown sugar, very pleasant. I can’t decide if I want the tea stronger, or it is perfect the way it is.

The aromatics are very comforting and inviting.

Second steep was for 2 minutes. Didn’t change the flavor nor the strength. Potentially a first steep would be better longer. I think 1-1:30 minutes might be a better steep. Would need to experiment, but this was from a sample pack.

Update: Tried the tea a second time with a steep time of 1:20 and 3 grams of tea per 8 cups. I love it just as much as before, but think it could have steeped for less time (1 minute is probably the best). The strength at 3 grams is perfect.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Roasted, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I love when I find a tea that is unique and different, and this one certainly fits that description. My first impression is that of burnt sugar/caramel. The liquor is a beautiful light golden brown color. The aroma is like a huge wave of burnt caramel and chocolate hitting all of your senses. The taste is a more balanced version of the aroma. There is robust flavors of burnt caramel, dark chocolate, honey, and some generic fruit flavors. As I moved on to my second and third infusions, the burnt flavors became more pronounced while the fruit and sweetness of the first steep lessened. Nevertheless, as the flavors shifted, the complex profile of the tea was maintained. Certain flavors were just highlighted more than others.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate, Honey

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

A beautiful and storied black tea. While other teas can be like sitting in a restaurant with all their noise and flavor, this tea was like that and everything but silent and as one.

Funny, I thought I’d already reviewed this tea but apparently I didn’t. Well, Laoshan Black is one of my overall favorites so far. I got it in a sampler set from Verdant and then placed another order just so I could get more of it. It’s complex, smooth, and pleasantly flavored. As you can see from all the flavor notes suggested by other people, it certainly has a lot of different layers. One of my favorite things about it, though, is that it actually does taste like chocolate (among, as I said, many other things). It always makes me sad when a description says chocolate and then I can’t find any chocolate notes in the tea itself. Anyway, in addition to chocolate, today I’m getting some malty notes and maybe some roasted chicory flavor . . . et cetera.

There’s a distinct chocolate smell and flavor, followed by caramel. Yet at the same time, it’s mildly earthy in flavor. A very enjoyable tea.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Licorice, Peat

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I never thought black tea could be so amazingly sweet and complex! This was Verdant’s Autumn Harvest Laoshan Black.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Brewed gong-fu with near boiling and later tried with 190 F. Small, nicely rolled leaves. Strong barley flavor- really the main flavor to me. Having been a homebrewer in the past, this tastes remarkably similar to wort (roasted barley “tea”, beer before fermentation or hops). I also get some plum and other dark fruit flavors but this tea is pretty one-dimensional for me. I much prefer the laoshan green, and would not seek out this black again.

Flavors: Plums, Roasted Barley