Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Caramel, Chocolate, Cannabis, Hops, Malt, Cocoa, Wood, Honey, Coconut, Roasted Barley
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2475 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1408 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

DANG! This tea makes me want to go all James Brown and yell “Excuse me while I do the boogaloo” or “Jump back and kiss myself!” No secret that I’m a big bold tea lover. This one goes directly and immediately without stopping into my deep dark pantheon along with Zhi Gong Fu Black, Mandala Black Beauty and even my beloved Special Dark.

I made beer a few times and this reminds me very very much of the smell and taste of the dark crystal malt that I chewed like candy to the point that I had to buy more to make beer.

This is round and malty and grainy and sweet and smooooooth. I made an error by only buying 2 ounces but that will be corrected immediately. According to Verdant’s website, this was an autumn harvest. I know there is discussion about one not being quite as wonderful as the other – and I don’t know which one of those this is – but if there is an even more wonderful one than this – I want to taste that bad boy.

Mr. and Mrs. He of Laoshan Village – rock on with your bad selves and thank you for making this tea so I may enjoy it.

Flavors: Malt

Thank you Sil for this sample.
I’ve been wary of trying this one as it’s so beloved by everyone and that may influence my rating (as much as I will try not to let it) due to expectations. Well it’s time I finally try it, and on my black tea day. This tea smells sweet and chocolatey with malt and smoke, a very nice introduction.

Once steeped it has an amazing smoky chocolate scent that is sweet yet malty. The flavour matches it’s wonderful scent for the most part. I can note chocolate, caramel, smoke, malt and dark fruit notes like fermented plum. It’s of medium strength with a nice sweetness and remains very smooth throughout. Has a little dryness in the after taste.

I really enjoyed my pot of this today and so did my husband, it reminded me a little of Teavivre’s Fengqing Dragon Pearl. I would definitely buy some of this for regular use if I was in US/CAN.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Malt

YAY! glad you finally tried it :)

Fjellrev

What would you say you like more, this or the pearls? I’ve been trying to decide that myself. :)

KittyLovesTea

I think I prefer the Pearls but I’m more used to them which could be why. If I get more I will have to do a side by side taste test.

With the crap luck I’ve been having with flavoured teas so far today I figured a nice black tea might be just what I needed to knock my tastebuds back into working order.

This – as many of the other reviewers have mentioned – is a very good black. It’s complex and delightfully layered…it sounds almost silly, but I actually get a salty sort of sunflower seed taste in the front followed by a thick woodsy note and a mellow lingering burnt sort of thing at the end.

Sadly, though, I’m not a fan of strong black teas in general. I’d much rather have a breakfast blend or silky flavoured tea over this…and with that in mind my rating reflects my personal preference in teas instead of the quality of this delightful cup.

Finally got to try this tea.

My friend brought it over and I have been enjoying it so much. He gave me a small bag and now I have enough for a few days, its great before bed and very pleasant.

1.5 tbsp for 375 ml

Definitely chocolate notes in dry leaf aroma and brewed tea. Smooth hay notes. Hints of cocoa flaour in brewed tea. I would like to try this one infused for a bit of a longer time.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 6 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

This is a nice tea, but I am not able to pick up on the flavors that tasters are referring to. Maybe its me.

Aroma: Dry leaf- chocolaty caramel
Wet leaf- Malty, almost a smokey wood
Color: Reddish gold
Taste: Dark chocolate, malty, light roasted after taste. Very smooth and rich
Notes: My first time trying a plain, loose unflavored black tea! And, my first time trying Verdant teas! I always assumed I didn’t like plain blacks since I’ve only tried cheap tea bags of it. The dry leaf aroma smelled so wonderful as well as the brewed cup. Leafs were beautiful as well. Really taste the deep chocolate/dark chocolate flavor, as it finishes with a nice light roasted flavor. I ended up adding some almond milk and agave the next time, excellent as well. Thank you Verdant for making me a black tea fan!

Yeah, this is gross. Finally got my sense of taste back after a cold, thought I’d give this another try with my tastebuds fresh and ready… nope. This just is completely unappealing.

Not crazy about this tea. the chocolate flavor to me was odd. But looking at everyone ratings. I am the odd one out.

I really do like this tea. I really do.

But it smells burn when you brew it. And it’s really off putting.

It tastes fantastic, however. Very nice, not too tannic, but still definitely a black tea. It resteeps well, which is good (because I hate going down the hall to the communal bathrooms to throw out leaves. Also, I’m lazy.) I just hate how it smells in the cup the first steep.