Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Roasted Barley, Cocoa, Roasted nuts, Chocolate, Chestnut, Burnt, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Toast, Toasted, Brown Toast, Grain, Roasted, Toasty, Caramel, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Creamy, Soybean
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4875 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2913 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2244 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1678 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

Hmm expected it to be more chocolate-y. But I definitely still enjoyed it. It’s nutty with hints of cocoa. Kinda similar to the Chocolate Genmaicha in my book.
Not too inspired for much today thanks to yet again, family drama.
But it was a nice cup of tea for today. (:

Flavors: Cocoa, Roasted nuts

Cameron B.

I still need to try this one at some point… I’m not surprised to hear it’s similar to the genmaicha, considering it’s the base tea. Sounds yummy.

Ost

You would like it!

Cameron B.

There are a few things I’d like to try from Verdant, and a few that I have tried and want more of. So I suppose I’ll have to make an order sometime soon. :P

I did not enjoy the taste of this tea. The smell of the tea threw me off before even trying it.

A really nice black tea with a slight hint of bitterness and no astringency. The flavors of baked bread and chocolate combine really nicely into a great tea. The smell of the wet leaves is reminiscent of wine. Many steepings are possible gongfu style.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

bittersweet dark chocolate that is deep and rich- drizzled with honey, mixed with dark roasted chestnuts and lightly burnt whole wheat toast. amazing. i only add a little honey to this which both draws out & sweetens the chocolate and honey notes, turning this into a decadent dessert. but it’s light enough where you can enjoy several cups. it didn’t once occur to me to add milk to this and i couldn’t imagine doing so!

a delicious black tea with the most amazing nuances. i love the cocoa in this. burnt toast with unsweetened cocoa spread and honey in the background. with no additives the ‘burnt chestnut’ note is more pronounced, but chocolate is still there. this has a wonderfully ‘chewy’ texture to it, i think because the toastiness of the flavors creates the semblance of dryness- but literally this is a dry, smooth tea with no astringency at all. it is just a genre unto itself.

i see why everyone raves about this. for a straight tea it is genuinely impressive.
reminds me of my beloved Black Dragon Pearls but with lots more body & depth!
ordered 4 oz. for my first blind buy of this & i don’t regret a thing.
in fact, i plan to order more, as well as Mr. He’s 1st picking Laoshan Black, Laoshan Roasted Oolong, and Laoshan Black Chocolate Genmaicha.

i always get 2 solid infusions out of this & each one is lip-smackingly delicious!

Flavors: Burnt, Chestnut, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Toast, Toasted

the infamous Laoshan Black….evil….evil enough to make me buy 2oz.

this better be good. if it’s bad I’m quitting this site. I’m already in a bad mood from lack of sleep. This is my first tea in a week. My verdant free sample was a jasmine silver needle, I hate jasmine and silver needle. don’t screw this up LB. my future with Verdant solely relies on this.

no pressure.

dry leaves smell nice, toasty, chocolatey. you’re off to a good start, LB. keep it up. wet leaves smell nice also. the liquor is nice and toasty smelling. orange.

let’s roll.

5g/100ml

10\15\25…

steep 1: tastes like a weak dian hong. weird astringency. nice toasty aftertaste
steep 2: a bit stronger taste. still not very good. super weak body with little flavor.

steep 3: I don’t get the hype. this tea is weak and boring. yes it has pleasant roast/chocolate going on, but I could easily get that from a good roasted oolong, with more flavor. I should try blending Dian Hong with yancha.

steep 4: mAybe I should try western brewing this. gongfu obviously doesn’t work. it’s just alright. nothing amazing about this tea.

eh

yyz

Don’t quit us;). There are a lot of people who don’t get the hype. Though a lot of people love the western brew. I haven’t tried Verdant Laoshan yet. I do have a sample though.

apt

I’m not actually quitting. just disappointed that I bought 2oz of it and it’s not amazing. eh, I can just pack the gaiwan with it and go hard with actual flavor. or just cold brew it.

it’s like weak, low roast cliff teas.

Cheri

:( I hate when I order a tea based on what other people said, then when I try it there’s just no spark for me. It’s depressing.

Terri HarpLady

If it’s any consolation, I don’t care for the gongfu version, I only like this one western style:
1TB + 8oz-ish x 3 min (5 min resteep)
Glad you’re not really leaving us :)

apt

I was kind of expecting it, I remember reading a post on Reddit about how the teas from Verdant have only fragrance, and no body. I definitely didn’t get much body out of this, especially when compared to other blacks (Dian Hong comes to mind).

It’s not a bad tea, but it’s not amazing either.

apt

Terri, I’ll try that! Thanks! Do you know how that translates to grams?

Terri HarpLady

No, LOL, but I’ll try to weigh it later & get back to you on that :)

A perfect choice for my first cup of the day. I’m still working away at my first pouch of this guy, from over a year ago. Maybe closer to two years, now that I think about it. It still tastes lovely and fresh, with those wonderful warm and toasty cocoa notes. One of the few straight black teas that I truly enjoy. I also love that I get several steepings out of each serving, which is likely why it’s stuck around my cupboard for so long. It’s a nice treat that I get to enjoy occasionally but thoroughly.

Every time I open my pouch I’m always so impressed at how gorgeous the leaves are. Such long strands that are delicately curled and silky; almost glossy looking. You can certainly tell the quality by sight alone, which adds to the anticipation of a great cup of tea. So much respect for the care that obviously goes into the growing, harvesting, and preservation of these truly stunning leaves.

From Marco Polo TTB. Thank you to Verdant for supplying samples!

I really admire that Verdant supplied some of this tea, because it’s not an unknown in the community and it is highly lauded as being great. I think they supplied it because they are kind :)

I pulled out a sample before sending the box on, and enjoyed it this morning. I love traveling tea boxes but I like not feeling the pressure to try everything before I send the box out. This one was strong and delicious. I can’t think what it tasted like. I know it wasn’t sweet potato, it wasn’t malty. No muscatel. Not honey. What does that leave? I liked it, whatever it was!

Dustin

I often do mini flights of four teas at a time with the traveling boxes to get through all the teas I want to try and figure out which to keep. Even then, I too feel the pressure to get the box moving again.

This one deserves to be number one, because it is.

Try it. PLEASE.

It smells like baked bread and raisins…and tastes just as good and is surprisingly sweet. Not sure what it is exactly, but it is nice.

180 °F / 82 °C 0 min, 45 sec 10 tsp

Friends, it’s finally happened. I got my hands on a sample of Laoshan Black! It came from Miss B ‘s tea sale of awesomeness. Thanks so much Miss B! I was beyond excited when I pulled this out of the package. Anyway, THIS TEA. Amazing! I’ve had other teas that had cocoa notes to them, but this actually tasted like chocolate with a toasty taste mixed in. It almost reminded me of a chocolate croissant, but not quite. This had zero astringency and just a tiny suggestion of tannin. Ugh, just so damn good. I got 5 steeps out of it too! This description is kind of falling flat. I can’t do this tea justice. Verdant, please stock the regular LB before I drive over there and buy the expensive one like a fool. K thx bye

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Toasted

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Glad you got to try it, hard to live without after though…Yep, this one lives up to expectations every time!!

Terri HarpLady

Welcome to the LB fan club!

mj

Everyone who tries this tea seems to become a slave to it…including me!

Cavocorax

AHAHAHAH. One of us! One of us!

mj

I have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Terri HarpLady

MJ…I hate to confess this (although it’s not the first time I have, LOL). I sort of have a collection going of LBs from various harvests. It started with hoarding, for fear of running out, but lets just say I won’t run for awhile, & one of these days I’ll finally get around to doing a comparison of various harvests. Except I still haven’t ordered any of the current one, guess I’d better get on it!

Ablagard. Abloobleh. Schmoo.

Hold on, I need to recompose myself.

I knew from the start that this was going to be epic. As soon as I opened the bag I was taken aback by how strong this tea’s chocolate aroma is. Very malty as well. I’m drooling.

As I pour the liquid into my cup and smell the leaves, I want to cry a little. This smells exactly like thick chocolate cake and freshly baked bread. Gaaaww…

Fudge. This is like fudge in a cup. It’s malty with strong cocoa notes. I also detect wood, and something vaguely similar to tobacco. There is a slight bitterness at the end, but these flavours really make up for it. I feel like I’ve had actual chocolate that doesn’t compare to the chocolate notes of this tea.
Caile I love you for sharing this with me and I am SO grateful.

SO JEALOUS! I can’t wait until Verdant has this one back in stock

caile

That makes me so happy that you enjoyed it!! This is such a delicious tea and is so comforting – I could drink it every day really. Re-steeps well too! :)
I am looking forward to when verdant restocks as well – it seems like it is taking so long!

Dexter

Yep this is another really special one. :))