Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Caramel, Coffee, Graham Cracker, Grain, Burnt Sugar, Plums, Raisins, Rum, Cocoa, Malt, Salt, Smoke, Honey, Dark Chocolate, Graham, Oak wood, Nutty, Cacao, Dark Bittersweet, Stewed Fruits, Cream, Black Currant, Cherry, Chocolate, Baked Bread, Sweet Potatoes, Molasses, Toasted, Earth, Sweet, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Dill, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Nuts, Chestnut, Burnt, Toast, Brown Toast, Roasted, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Creamy, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Vanilla, Walnut, Fruity, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

“The body of the tea is strong and creamy, not overly bold and in-your-face, but maintaining strong, consistent flavors throughout. The slight fruity sweetness softens any edges, and there is little to no astringency of which to speak. In the center of the body of the tea lies a bit of smokiness, which pleasantly lingers on the tongue.”

Full review, here: http://www.createwritedrink.com/2015/03/tea-review-tuesday-review-of-verdant.html

This sample is one I’ve had for a while. I wasn’t particularly fond of it, so I hadn’t taken the time to review it until my newest tea-convert frisfries wanted to start trying tea.
First infusion: 30 sec. A bit salty and smokey, with just an undertone of coffee breath. Maybe a hint of chocolate. I just can’t get over how much it smells like my SO’s coffee breath!
Second infusion: 45 sec. Stronger coffee breath. Still salty. Not a fan, but maybe I could see how others could be? It may be because I don’t like coffee OR chocolate.

Flavors: Cocoa, Coffee, Malt, Salt, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Initially, this tea smells a little like the ocean, kinda salty, but with underlying roasting tones. I also smell a little bit of maple syrup. I know more about beer than tea, and if this tea was a beer it would be something akin to a honey nut brown ale.

Sipping down this tea with a friend as we samples some more black teas since it’s the type of tea I generally stay away from. This black tea is quite mild compared to many others that I have tasted and it’s almost like a weakened warm honey in a way as well. We actually finished the pot off which means I didn’t pour it out, but once I was done with my fourth cup I came to the conclusion that this tea doesn’t really offer a taste that I would consider chasing after- though as a black tea it isn’t bitter and rough toward my taste buds, I just don’t see myself desiring to brew the rest of my Laoshan Black anytime soon.

2 tsp

Let’s say a regular black tea is about 10$ for 100g. I paid 27$ shipping included for 4oz (100g). The taste is OK but for the price, I would simply add honey to my regular tea. I guess all these high reviews are about an older batch as some reviews suggested.

Flavors: Honey

very good tea, well worth $5 an ounce. I definitely taste a chinese black tea with a hint of cocoa. It has a similar body to a chinese keemun but there is no smokeyness just a taste of cocoa. Not real sweet but definitely could drink this everyday. I have respect for this tea.

Flavors: Cocoa

My breakfast tea. Oh, this smells so nice. I get a lovely scent of chocolate. There is a bit of graham cracker in the flavour. And it’s a bit on the sweet side. Overall, very good. Glad I decided to try it today. Having another cup while playing some Harvest Moon.

Flavors: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Graham, Honey

I didn’t want to admit it. I really didn’t.

It still tastes like wholemeal bread, subtly touched with molasses. And on subsequent sips, it is very much like taking bites of raw, earthy sweet potato. So there’s that. However, the most dominant note I’m scenting is cannabis, and it’s sinking my love, and sinking it fast.

Huh. So I just got my 5 for $5 Verdant Tea sampler in the mail and decided to try this first. This is good, and maybe it’s because I’m not as sophisticated a tea drinker as most of you, but… I’m not really blown away by it the way I expected to be after reading your reviews. It’s nice, and definitely not at all bitter. I’m on the 3rd steep, and I do think it’s improving as I go. I followed the Verdant Tea directions for brewing, starting out at just 30 seconds. I’ve quickly shifted to 90 seconds, and it’s an improvement. I thought it was too weak after the first steep, but it’s much better now. I also added a small amount of rock sugar — it’s not crucial, but it rounds out the flavor a bit for me. I think I’d appreciate this more if I were eating it with spicy foods — it’s very, very much like the black tea we would be served at a Chinese restaurant my family frequented when I was a child, but I haven’t had anything like it since. Maybe that’s why I’m feeling like I need something savory and spicy with it rather than the sweet breakfast I’m eating. eat I’ve got 4 g. left, so I’ll try to leave a better note next time I try it.

Also… I’m using unfiltered water. Actually… I’m doing that in general because I have very good tap water. Maybe the flavors of this are subtle enough that unfiltered water really would make a significant difference. It’s definitely not as strong as most of the teas I like, but it’s… I can tell it’s very good quality as you all say. Just maybe not my favorite type of tea.

But after this tasting… The tea’s good, but I’m unlikely to pay a premium to try it again after this.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt, Nutty

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 30 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

(Autmn Plucking)
This is a tea that I am quite familiar with so I felt comfortable brewing more casually. Feeling lazy so threw in a my hong cha yixing. It been a while so I almost forgot what this tea tasted like so after a little anticipation of rinsing the vessel I threw in the leaves. The warmed pot gave off a wonderful smell, started off burnt sugar to the next huff smelling bitter cacao to the final whiffs turning into fruity dark stewed fruits. With all autumn teas it was more bark than bite and I hate a tease.

{side note}I have been using spring water for about a week now and really started to notice it brought out a lot of fruity sweeter qualities in teas and less bitterness, I am starting to miss a pleasantly bitter taste.

This tea was no different every steeping rather than the caramel toasty chocolately tastes I remember and just smelled from the leaves all I got was fruitiness. Im still pretty confident my yixing having a low pitch will take a while to season properly and as a result is a flavor sucker. I only got 2-3 good brew out of it strangely enough and couldnt get much out of it body wise, although I am impressed with the quality of tea/processing I don’t think I had any tea scum(white bubbles during a rinse) on any steepings which is rare for chinese teas especially hong cha.

Almost done with my sample bag before I reach the bottom I will take my time to throw it in a gaiwan and test out my yixing flavor sucker theory.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Cacao, Dark Bittersweet, Stewed Fruits