Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Cocoa, Grain, Chocolate, Earth, Graham, Honey, Sweet, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon, Dill, Baked Bread, Malt, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Chestnut, Burnt, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Toast, Toasted, Brown Toast, Roasted, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Molasses, Raisins, Creamy, Soybean, Cacao, Fruity, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! *gasp* Alright...i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5351 tasting notes
  • “Yes, I'm drinking this again! It's my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it was....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3065 tasting notes
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing - I'll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it's more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2596 tasting notes
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I'm pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

Sample from the 5 for $5 deal!
Gongfu’d it at 205 degrees and with the instructions on Verdant’s website.

Okay, so I enjoyed this with some friends in my dorm lounge. Everybody was very pleased with the tea! I also enjoyed it. It brews into a very light liquor with a sweet honey smell.

The taste was very refreshing. That being said, I’m not quite sure I get the fanaticism behind this tea. Its good, but Steepster almost seems to treat it like the epitome of Chinese blacks. To be fair though, looking at the price, this is a very admirable quality tea with a nice pricetag. I taste honey and chocolate. It has a very mild earthy tone. It lasted well under about 10 steepings in my little Yixing. I think this would be really good iced… Next time I order from verdant, I might throw in some of this just for that purpose! Give it a try!

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Graham, Honey, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

It’s changed over the past two years with different harvests…I’d say a couple years ago it was much more than it is today heh. Imo there are better black teas out there but I very much like the flavour profile and the fact that it works well in a travel mug and at home, and no matter what I seem to do with it, it gives me a consistent cup. Heh but there are teas I love more…but they’re pricier and more finicky…

President Markle

Good point! I didn’t know about the consistency factor since I just have a sample. That would be very helpful for a daily morning drink.. Thanks for sharing!

(i also really like this western brew over gonfu..though i’ve done both. it’s easier and tastes better to me lol)

Remarkable! Smooth with deep fudge notes. Even the body is supple and glides cleanly over the tongue. Great find!

Well, I have had some of this in my stash for a bit. I am surprised I have never written about it. This tea is popular on Steepster. I think I get it, but for me this one does not jump out and scream buy tons of me. It is a decent black tea, with a bit of a roasty, cocoa flavor. I really enjoy the Laoshan Roasted Ooolong much more. Sometimes I worry when I don’t LOVE a tea that is so popular, but I think this is what I like about Steepster and tea. There is so much variety, that not everything has to be YOUR favorite.

Lewis & Clarke TTB

Tea of the morning! I’ve been wanting to try this particular tea for a long time, mostly because of the hype it gets around here. The leaves look exactly like Laoshan Green but black. :P They’re thin and brittle and curled into little loops in some cases. Dry scent is pure cocoa, yum! I did a 3 minute steep as per usual for black teas.

Brewed, this tea smells very similar to Fujian black teas that I’ve tried – it has that same savory dill note. This tea also tastes similar to my idea of a Fujian tea. It’s strong and has robust flavors with that dill note along with dark grain and some lovely cocoa. This tea, however, has a nice burnt brown sugar or caramel flavor to it that really adds depth. And it’s a teensy bit sweeter, especially in the end and aftertaste, and there’s a touch of cinnamon.

Overall, quite good, but not mind-blowing. :)

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Dill, Grain

boychik

i get caraway seed in this

That’s probably the flavor that I interpret as dill. :P

boychik

i think so. i got bulk spices in Turkish store nearby. I dont know why i bought some, i dont know the recipe where to use it and i dont bake bread. but i luv the smell of caraway seeds. Childhood memories of dark bread with those seeds on top

Cameron B.

I don’t think I’m familiar enough with caraway to pick it out as a flavor, I need to buy some and eat it so I’ll know next time. :P

boychik

i can send you some. i just chew a few;)

Cameron B.

Hah! I’ll remember that when we do a swap eventually. :D

Stephanie

I’ve made Irish soda bread with caraway seeds. It is super easy, no bread skills required! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Irish-Soda-Bread-with-Raisins-and-Caraway-107136

What more can be said about this tea? Delicious tea that I really think deserves to be tried by every serious tea drinker at least once. Blew my mind the first I tried it a couple years ago and one of those teas I serve to people who don’t drink tea very often to show them the possibilities. I guess you could say I like it!

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Lewis and Clarke TTB

When I saw this in the box, I squealed in excitement (which caused my bf to call me tea crazy). I’ve been wanting to try this for awhile. The dry leaf smells so much like cocoa powder, it’s insane. There’s also a touch of that roasted peanut smell.

I used ~5g for 8oz 200F for 5,20,30,45 seconds. The first cup tasted like honey, with a touch of caramel. Second cup is similar, but with a strong cocoa note hitting the back of your tongue at the end of the sip.

Third steep, a nice dark bread like note appears. It’s dark bread slathered in honey and a heavy dusting of cocoa powder. Sinfully delicious. The forth loses some of the honey and gets some grainy (barley?) notes at the front of the sip.

It’s not often that I finish my cup of tea while it’s still piping hot, but I just couldn’t wait for the cup to cool. I need to get this!

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cheri

I’m so excited to get this box next. It sounds amazing.

Cameron B.

Yum, can’t wait! Is it a lot of small samples or are they bigger?

madametj

I had a feeling your boyfriend would make a comment on the box. hehe.

@Cameron The Verdant samples are individually sized, as are a lot of the other companies. Some companies in the box (like Yunnan Sourcing and Whispering Pines) have larger pouches to be shared.

Mandy

The whispering pines is a big bag full of individual sample sized baggies (:
And yes, he did but he pretty much accepts it. And I think he secretly thinks the idea is cool. He’s told a couple of his friends about it, haha.

madametj

lol that’s funny. The idea for this TTB specifically or just drinking tea in general? :P

Mandy

He tells everyone I’m addicted to tea, but he’s told a few of his friends about TTB “she takes she wants and but in her own tea and then sends it to the next person”.

Cheri

My spouse is the same way. He tells people about the tea thing, and the tea boxes and my swaps and he teases me when I don’t get tea in the mail.

Smells honey and almond.
Taste like malty chocolate, bread, and grains/wheats.
Looks like a very clear and beautiful beautiful copper color. The liquid almost looks like a scotch during the first 2 minute infusion. The second infusion looked like a dark amber color with a 3 minute infusion.

I don’t get much chocolate notes from this tea. Strong notes of bread however. I will definitely recommend the sample before you blind buy the tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Roasted Barley

Hmm expected it to be more chocolate-y. But I definitely still enjoyed it. It’s nutty with hints of cocoa. Kinda similar to the Chocolate Genmaicha in my book.
Not too inspired for much today thanks to yet again, family drama.
But it was a nice cup of tea for today. (:

Flavors: Cocoa, Roasted nuts

Cameron B.

I still need to try this one at some point… I’m not surprised to hear it’s similar to the genmaicha, considering it’s the base tea. Sounds yummy.

Ost

You would like it!

Cameron B.

There are a few things I’d like to try from Verdant, and a few that I have tried and want more of. So I suppose I’ll have to make an order sometime soon. :P

I did not enjoy the taste of this tea. The smell of the tea threw me off before even trying it.

A really nice black tea with a slight hint of bitterness and no astringency. The flavors of baked bread and chocolate combine really nicely into a great tea. The smell of the wet leaves is reminiscent of wine. Many steepings are possible gongfu style.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate