Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Cocoa, Malt, Rose, Sweet, White Grapes, Caramel, Coffee, Graham Cracker, Grain, Burnt Sugar, Plums, Raisins, Rum, Salt, Smoke, Honey, Dark Chocolate, Graham, Oak wood, Nutty, Cacao, Dark Bittersweet, Stewed Fruits, Cream, Black Currant, Cherry, Chocolate, Baked Bread, Sweet Potatoes, Molasses, Toasted, Earth, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Dill, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Nuts, Chestnut, Burnt, Toast, Brown Toast, Roasted, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Wood, Coconut, Creamy, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Vanilla, Walnut, Fruity, Smooth
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

The leaves and liquor are very visually appealing. I agree with the description from Verdant.. But I wouldn’t repurchase. It certainly is a marvelous tea. It’s just too silky for me. And I’ve tried brewing longer and hotter etc with more leaves. Anyway, it has been a great experience to taste this tea but I wouldn’t reach for it in my cupboard so I’ll just leave it at that. I could see this being a great base for a blend. Verdant has some to offer so I am interested in trying those.

Flavors: Grain

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 45 sec 2 g 7 OZ / 207 ML

Holy Shiitake that has sooo many reviews hahah! I had no idea this was so popular.

Anyways unto the review. This was by far the best 5 dollars I’ve spent. This was the first I sampled from their tea box. This was delicious! I paired this with some belgian chocolate and it was perfect. The small ebony curls carry a smoked scent and char. I brewed them in my gaiwan. I washed once and allowed them to breathe. The aroma was amazing! It was of a dark currant, burnt sugar, and raisins. The flavor was incredibly bold. It was a deep malt with raspberry chocolate. The steeped leaves were mostly full and unfurled to long beautiful strands. I absolutely love this tea and will be stocking up!

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Plums, Raisins, Rum

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 90 OZ / 2661 ML

“The body of the tea is strong and creamy, not overly bold and in-your-face, but maintaining strong, consistent flavors throughout. The slight fruity sweetness softens any edges, and there is little to no astringency of which to speak. In the center of the body of the tea lies a bit of smokiness, which pleasantly lingers on the tongue.”

Full review, here:

This sample is one I’ve had for a while. I wasn’t particularly fond of it, so I hadn’t taken the time to review it until my newest tea-convert frisfries wanted to start trying tea.
First infusion: 30 sec. A bit salty and smokey, with just an undertone of coffee breath. Maybe a hint of chocolate. I just can’t get over how much it smells like my SO’s coffee breath!
Second infusion: 45 sec. Stronger coffee breath. Still salty. Not a fan, but maybe I could see how others could be? It may be because I don’t like coffee OR chocolate.

Flavors: Cocoa, Coffee, Malt, Salt, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Initially, this tea smells a little like the ocean, kinda salty, but with underlying roasting tones. I also smell a little bit of maple syrup. I know more about beer than tea, and if this tea was a beer it would be something akin to a honey nut brown ale.

Sipping down this tea with a friend as we samples some more black teas since it’s the type of tea I generally stay away from. This black tea is quite mild compared to many others that I have tasted and it’s almost like a weakened warm honey in a way as well. We actually finished the pot off which means I didn’t pour it out, but once I was done with my fourth cup I came to the conclusion that this tea doesn’t really offer a taste that I would consider chasing after- though as a black tea it isn’t bitter and rough toward my taste buds, I just don’t see myself desiring to brew the rest of my Laoshan Black anytime soon.

2 tsp

Let’s say a regular black tea is about 10$ for 100g. I paid 27$ shipping included for 4oz (100g). The taste is OK but for the price, I would simply add honey to my regular tea. I guess all these high reviews are about an older batch as some reviews suggested.

Flavors: Honey

very good tea, well worth $5 an ounce. I definitely taste a chinese black tea with a hint of cocoa. It has a similar body to a chinese keemun but there is no smokeyness just a taste of cocoa. Not real sweet but definitely could drink this everyday. I have respect for this tea.

Flavors: Cocoa

My breakfast tea. Oh, this smells so nice. I get a lovely scent of chocolate. There is a bit of graham cracker in the flavour. And it’s a bit on the sweet side. Overall, very good. Glad I decided to try it today. Having another cup while playing some Harvest Moon.

Flavors: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Graham, Honey

I didn’t want to admit it. I really didn’t.

It still tastes like wholemeal bread, subtly touched with molasses. And on subsequent sips, it is very much like taking bites of raw, earthy sweet potato. So there’s that. However, the most dominant note I’m scenting is cannabis, and it’s sinking my love, and sinking it fast.