Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Smooth, Malt, Roasted, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Mineral, Vanilla, Walnut, Rose, Citrus, Creamy, Floral, Honeysuckle, Nutty, Pine, Powdered sugar, Soybean, Stonefruits, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Wood, Caramel, Metallic, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Grass, Spinach, Tangy, Vegetal, Cream, Grain, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

Just got my big oolong order from Verdant (I’m excited to try their spring Tie Guan Yin!), I ordered an ounce of each of their oolong teas, but somehow, I forgot to add an ounce of this to my order. Thankfully, I got a nice sample pack of this tea with my order.

This tea gives you an incredible rocky mineral taste that fills your mouth in the first cup with hints of chocolate. I brewed this in a quick gong-fu style doing only 4 steepings. The rest of the cups were not as strong in the mineral sensation, but lightly smoky and with a really subtle hint of cinnamon.

I will re-brew this tea once I have time to do a longer gong-fu session and post a more detailed tasting note. Overall, I enjoyed this Da Hong Pao very much, especially the first cup.

Got a sample of this one with my recent purchase and all I can say is: WOW. I’m really starting to fall for wulongs. It has so many notes that it’s really hard to describe. It has a great smell, kind of spicy (but lovely) taste and wonderful rich aftertaste. Gotta order it ^^

This tasted like a typical high quality dark oolong. That’s not a bad thing since I’m starting to love oolongs, but I was expecting a bit more given the description.

I had this tea the other day at a co-worker’s tea gathering. I’ve had the big red robe several time before. Some of them were costly premium ones brought over by relatives from Singapore. Compared to what I’ve had, this tea not as heavily roasted as my other big red robe. The one is a bit sweeter but is missing the thick texture in premium batches. Overall this is a decent tea.

Brewed western style. 4g of leaf rinsed once with 208F water then steeped in 8oz at 208F for 1 min. The aroma is… Interesting. A little off putting to me. Notes of marijuana and brass mixed with roasted nuts. Quite a thin mouthfeel with some astringency throughout. Very earthy flavor, roasted nuts, some black coffee. I’ll have to revisit this one later.

This was my first experience with Big Red Robe. I’d heard a lot of hype about it, and was skeptical as to whether it could deliver, notwithstanding. It did. Furthermore, this tea has salvaged my interest in oolongs. I recently experienced a few that were underwhelming. This one changed that. I’m usually not given to fanciful descriptions, but this tea seems to warrant it. The scent is earthy and soulful; reminiscent of the smell of hot iron and rain on the horizon (if you can imagine those two). I’ve enjoyed three cups, thus far, and it has held up swimmingly. This is another tea that I’ll be repurchasing. It is absolutely worth trying.

This is my first Big Red Robe. The aroma is rather toasty/nutty.
Reminds me of roasting pine nuts when I was young, only without any of
the sap. The flavor is less toasty, but still nutty, and a bit like
salted butter. As the tea cools, the salt fades somewhat, and a
sweetness makes an appearance.

This is a difficult tea to rate. The flavor isn’t really what I want
in a tea. But there’s something about the taste that keeps calling
for a deeper exploration, as if, should I taste it just once more, I’d
realize that salted butter and toasted pine nuts is exactly what I
should want tea to taste like. It seems you can have good teas, and
interesting teas, and they’re not necessarily the same. This is an
interesting tea.

This is a really good oolong (and I’m not a huge fan of oolong). By third steep, I was in love! It went from strong and even a bit bitter, to very floral and happiness and sunshine by the third and final steep (one minute, three minutes, five minutes). Next time I’ll try even shorter steeps to see just what the flavor does.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This was disappointing. I’ve been waiting to try this for awhile, so I finally picked it out. I opened the package and took in the sweet tang and heavy wood aroma. So far so good right? I poured out the tea and then I became saddened. It was just short of a full gongfu session (so I reduced water) and the “leaves” were mostly dusting. I washed the bits once and watched as most of them poured away. I was mostly turned off at this point. A big thing for me is presentation and quality. I wasn’t really feeling the gongfu session to much, but I preceded thinking “don’t judge a book by its cover” sort of thing. The leaves gave off a roasted oak and burnt sugar scent. The liquor was dirty. There were tons of little bits everywhere, hahah. It was quite a mess. The flavor was good. This wasn’t a phenomenal Wuyi, but it was still fairly decent. The initial sip started with a sharp tang and smoothed with dark fruit tones. The session proceeded into a deep caramel and rum flavor. I was able to get about five steeps out this small package, which inst that bad. Altogether, I’m glad I was able to try it, but I wont be jumping to get anymore of this.

I picked out the whole leaves for the photo…

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

It wasn’t my favorite. I think it’s not roasted enough (for me) and it has more flowery profile that I feel comfortable with

Attractive tea set by the way!

Backlog, and the next few I do for a while are going to be backlogs.

So, I liked this one, and it made me realize that I’m kind picky when it comes to Wu Yi dark oolongs. I maybe should have rinsed this one to get more flavors, but what I got is a slightly fruitier rock oolong.

Water at 195 degrees F.

#1. 30 second first infusion.
What I get- woodsy, smooth, a little nutty, roasted, and bits of cocoa. It’s so close to being a black tea to me. It’s also like a less astringent version of the Irie Wu Yi Oolong.

#2. 20 seconds. Cherry, but still woodsy. Not bad. Not Great.

#3. 45 seconds. Still cherry, some wood-which is skewed because I had chocolate. Way better.

#4. 1 minute. Much better. More cherry, with a hint of cocoa-very smooth and better lighter. It’s like cooked cherry really. The wood is not as strong and it’s sweeter. Really, this is more like cherry wood vs. Irie’s bamboo like oolong overall.

#5. Stored some in the same Teavana container (glass one) overnight in the fridge, and it was a refreshing iced version of steep four that was surprisingly sweeter.

Consensus-I really have to be in the mood for a dark oolong to really like it. The woodsy notes are welcomed, but get overwhelming at times. I have to be especially choosy when I get them from now on.

Flavors: Cherry, Cherry Wood, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Smooth