Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Apricot, Citrus, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Nutty, Raisins, Baked Bread, Cherry, Molasses, Plums, Stonefruits, Tobacco, Chocolate, Honeysuckle, Melon, Mineral, Raspberry, Vanilla, Wood, Bitter, Black Currant, Grass, Astringent, Cinnamon, Roasted Barley, Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Smoked, Toffee, Winter Honey, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Malt, Vegetal, Creamy, Camphor, Dried Fruit, Spices, Butter, Smooth, Cocoa, Metallic, Soybean, Burnt Sugar, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry Wood, Nuts, Dark Chocolate, Walnut, Rose, Pine, Powdered sugar, Sweet, Caramel, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Spinach, Tangy, Cream, Grain, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

Just got my big oolong order from Verdant (I’m excited to try their spring Tie Guan Yin!), I ordered an ounce of each of their oolong teas, but somehow, I forgot to add an ounce of this to my order. Thankfully, I got a nice sample pack of this tea with my order.

This tea gives you an incredible rocky mineral taste that fills your mouth in the first cup with hints of chocolate. I brewed this in a quick gong-fu style doing only 4 steepings. The rest of the cups were not as strong in the mineral sensation, but lightly smoky and with a really subtle hint of cinnamon.

I will re-brew this tea once I have time to do a longer gong-fu session and post a more detailed tasting note. Overall, I enjoyed this Da Hong Pao very much, especially the first cup.

Got a sample of this one with my recent purchase and all I can say is: WOW. I’m really starting to fall for wulongs. It has so many notes that it’s really hard to describe. It has a great smell, kind of spicy (but lovely) taste and wonderful rich aftertaste. Gotta order it ^^

This tasted like a typical high quality dark oolong. That’s not a bad thing since I’m starting to love oolongs, but I was expecting a bit more given the description.

I had this tea the other day at a co-worker’s tea gathering. I’ve had the big red robe several time before. Some of them were costly premium ones brought over by relatives from Singapore. Compared to what I’ve had, this tea not as heavily roasted as my other big red robe. The one is a bit sweeter but is missing the thick texture in premium batches. Overall this is a decent tea.

Brewed western style. 4g of leaf rinsed once with 208F water then steeped in 8oz at 208F for 1 min. The aroma is… Interesting. A little off putting to me. Notes of marijuana and brass mixed with roasted nuts. Quite a thin mouthfeel with some astringency throughout. Very earthy flavor, roasted nuts, some black coffee. I’ll have to revisit this one later.

This was my first experience with Big Red Robe. I’d heard a lot of hype about it, and was skeptical as to whether it could deliver, notwithstanding. It did. Furthermore, this tea has salvaged my interest in oolongs. I recently experienced a few that were underwhelming. This one changed that. I’m usually not given to fanciful descriptions, but this tea seems to warrant it. The scent is earthy and soulful; reminiscent of the smell of hot iron and rain on the horizon (if you can imagine those two). I’ve enjoyed three cups, thus far, and it has held up swimmingly. This is another tea that I’ll be repurchasing. It is absolutely worth trying.

This is my first Big Red Robe. The aroma is rather toasty/nutty.
Reminds me of roasting pine nuts when I was young, only without any of
the sap. The flavor is less toasty, but still nutty, and a bit like
salted butter. As the tea cools, the salt fades somewhat, and a
sweetness makes an appearance.

This is a difficult tea to rate. The flavor isn’t really what I want
in a tea. But there’s something about the taste that keeps calling
for a deeper exploration, as if, should I taste it just once more, I’d
realize that salted butter and toasted pine nuts is exactly what I
should want tea to taste like. It seems you can have good teas, and
interesting teas, and they’re not necessarily the same. This is an
interesting tea.

I must say I really enjoyed this one:) I got it as a sample and am definitely adding this one to my next order. First impression is sweet, raisin, honey, molasses, prune, dry apricot nice notes of flowers and citrus. It has a lovely body and mouth-feel (tho I tend to brew my teas stronger). The consecutive steeps are more malty, nutty, oat, cream I still detect citrus and floral notes. Very nice tea! I’m on brew #5 right now and it still has a nice color and good taste and body. I would definitely recommend.

Flavors: Apricot, Citrus, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Nutty, Raisins

2 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Dry leaves: malt, dried tobacco, chocolate, smoke, autumn leaf pile

Aroma: floral, melon, chocolate, tobacco, honey

Flavor: floral, melon, cherry shisha, stone fruit, toasted nuts, smoke, perfume, molasses, soybean

Taste: smooth, no bitterness, no astringency, toasty, savory

Great complex flavor that reminds me strongly of cherry pipe tobacco.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cherry, Molasses, Nutty, Plums, Stonefruits, Tobacco

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I used 5g/120ml, 95C water, washed once, first brew was five seconds, +3-5 per each additional brewing. I managed to get eight brewings. This was a very light roasted DHP.

The aroma is very chocolatey with a hint of melon and wood. The liquor is incredibly buttery and smooth. In the first cup there wasn’t much taste but there was tiny hints of melon, honeysuckle, vanilla, and that classical WuYi minerality.

The aroma of the second cup reminded me of Kamut. The liquor tasted very much like, but not overpoweringly, like vanilla and honeysuckle. Melon and raspberry resided in the aftertaste. The third was the same except the liquor was less potent and the aftertaste was stronger. I then sipped on some water as you should after the third brewing of a WuYi and the aftertaste strengthened even more.

The fourth brewing was the best. It was all the flavors in the aftertaste and the actual taste, in the actual taste. A slight astringency had appeared, it was not abrasive.

That was the teas last legs as each cup after that was a less potent version of the third.

Not bad for the price. I’ve had much better DHP for a similar price.

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Honeysuckle, Melon, Mineral, Raspberry, Vanilla, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML