Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Floral, Roasted, Smooth, Toasted Rice, Wet Earth, Creamy, Earth, Grass, Mineral, Nutty, Smoke, Spinach, Tangy, Vegetal, Wood, Caramel, Cream, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Spoonvonstup

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

Just got my big oolong order from Verdant (I’m excited to try their spring Tie Guan Yin!), I ordered an ounce of each of their oolong teas, but somehow, I forgot to add an ounce of this to my order. Thankfully, I got a nice sample pack of this tea with my order.

This tea gives you an incredible rocky mineral taste that fills your mouth in the first cup with hints of chocolate. I brewed this in a quick gong-fu style doing only 4 steepings. The rest of the cups were not as strong in the mineral sensation, but lightly smoky and with a really subtle hint of cinnamon.

I will re-brew this tea once I have time to do a longer gong-fu session and post a more detailed tasting note. Overall, I enjoyed this Da Hong Pao very much, especially the first cup.

Got a sample of this one with my recent purchase and all I can say is: WOW. I’m really starting to fall for wulongs. It has so many notes that it’s really hard to describe. It has a great smell, kind of spicy (but lovely) taste and wonderful rich aftertaste. Gotta order it ^^

This tasted like a typical high quality dark oolong. That’s not a bad thing since I’m starting to love oolongs, but I was expecting a bit more given the description.

I had this tea the other day at a co-worker’s tea gathering. I’ve had the big red robe several time before. Some of them were costly premium ones brought over by relatives from Singapore. Compared to what I’ve had, this tea not as heavily roasted as my other big red robe. The one is a bit sweeter but is missing the thick texture in premium batches. Overall this is a decent tea.

Brewed western style. 4g of leaf rinsed once with 208F water then steeped in 8oz at 208F for 1 min. The aroma is… Interesting. A little off putting to me. Notes of marijuana and brass mixed with roasted nuts. Quite a thin mouthfeel with some astringency throughout. Very earthy flavor, roasted nuts, some black coffee. I’ll have to revisit this one later.

This was my first experience with Big Red Robe. I’d heard a lot of hype about it, and was skeptical as to whether it could deliver, notwithstanding. It did. Furthermore, this tea has salvaged my interest in oolongs. I recently experienced a few that were underwhelming. This one changed that. I’m usually not given to fanciful descriptions, but this tea seems to warrant it. The scent is earthy and soulful; reminiscent of the smell of hot iron and rain on the horizon (if you can imagine those two). I’ve enjoyed three cups, thus far, and it has held up swimmingly. This is another tea that I’ll be repurchasing. It is absolutely worth trying.

This is my first Big Red Robe. The aroma is rather toasty/nutty.
Reminds me of roasting pine nuts when I was young, only without any of
the sap. The flavor is less toasty, but still nutty, and a bit like
salted butter. As the tea cools, the salt fades somewhat, and a
sweetness makes an appearance.

This is a difficult tea to rate. The flavor isn’t really what I want
in a tea. But there’s something about the taste that keeps calling
for a deeper exploration, as if, should I taste it just once more, I’d
realize that salted butter and toasted pine nuts is exactly what I
should want tea to taste like. It seems you can have good teas, and
interesting teas, and they’re not necessarily the same. This is an
interesting tea.

Got a sample of this one with my last Verdant order!
I hear a lot about this tea it feels like, so I’m happy to have gotten a sample of it.
The steeping aroma was pretty light and roasty.
The taste was more than just roasty-ness though. There were hints of floral that made it a lot smoother and lighter.
Wasn’t sure I’d like this one since I’m not really drinking a lot of roasty teas lately, but the floral notes really do balance this one out. Not bad at all!
Happy To have tried this one! Thanks for the sample, Verdant! :D

Flavors: Floral, Roasted, Smooth

boychik

that was not my fav and i tried some DHP recently

Marco Polo TTB

It’s yummy. What else to say? Smooth, slightly floral and of a medium-ish intensity. Probably preferable as an everyday drinker.

I bought this tea from LuciTea last winter. Thank you.

I really enjoy dark oolongs, but I think Red Robe has to be my least favorite. This has hints of mineral, earth and carmel. This as a less tangy/fruity bite too it than and lot of the similar oolons. I have at least 1/2 ounce left of this. I will have to compare with the other Red Robe I own.

boychik

whats your parameters? i find it most enjoyable gongfu with short steeps. first time i tried western i poured down the cup.

TeaTiff

I was at work so western and 195ish for 3 mins. After reading dr Jim’s note I need to revisit this with gong fu session.