Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Camphor, Dried Fruit, Floral, Spices, Butter, Nutty, Smooth, Cocoa, Metallic, Roasted Barley, Soybean, Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Nuts, Malt, Roasted, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Mineral, Vanilla, Walnut, Rose, Citrus, Creamy, Honeysuckle, Pine, Powdered sugar, Stonefruits, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Wood, Caramel, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Grass, Spinach, Tangy, Vegetal, Cream, Grain, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

Just got my big oolong order from Verdant (I’m excited to try their spring Tie Guan Yin!), I ordered an ounce of each of their oolong teas, but somehow, I forgot to add an ounce of this to my order. Thankfully, I got a nice sample pack of this tea with my order.

This tea gives you an incredible rocky mineral taste that fills your mouth in the first cup with hints of chocolate. I brewed this in a quick gong-fu style doing only 4 steepings. The rest of the cups were not as strong in the mineral sensation, but lightly smoky and with a really subtle hint of cinnamon.

I will re-brew this tea once I have time to do a longer gong-fu session and post a more detailed tasting note. Overall, I enjoyed this Da Hong Pao very much, especially the first cup.

Please keep things friendly and .

Got a sample of this one with my recent purchase and all I can say is: WOW. I’m really starting to fall for wulongs. It has so many notes that it’s really hard to describe. It has a great smell, kind of spicy (but lovely) taste and wonderful rich aftertaste. Gotta order it ^^

Please keep things friendly and .

This tasted like a typical high quality dark oolong. That’s not a bad thing since I’m starting to love oolongs, but I was expecting a bit more given the description.

Please keep things friendly and .

I had this tea the other day at a co-worker’s tea gathering. I’ve had the big red robe several time before. Some of them were costly premium ones brought over by relatives from Singapore. Compared to what I’ve had, this tea not as heavily roasted as my other big red robe. The one is a bit sweeter but is missing the thick texture in premium batches. Overall this is a decent tea.

Please keep things friendly and .

Brewed western style. 4g of leaf rinsed once with 208F water then steeped in 8oz at 208F for 1 min. The aroma is… Interesting. A little off putting to me. Notes of marijuana and brass mixed with roasted nuts. Quite a thin mouthfeel with some astringency throughout. Very earthy flavor, roasted nuts, some black coffee. I’ll have to revisit this one later.

Please keep things friendly and .

This was my first experience with Big Red Robe. I’d heard a lot of hype about it, and was skeptical as to whether it could deliver, notwithstanding. It did. Furthermore, this tea has salvaged my interest in oolongs. I recently experienced a few that were underwhelming. This one changed that. I’m usually not given to fanciful descriptions, but this tea seems to warrant it. The scent is earthy and soulful; reminiscent of the smell of hot iron and rain on the horizon (if you can imagine those two). I’ve enjoyed three cups, thus far, and it has held up swimmingly. This is another tea that I’ll be repurchasing. It is absolutely worth trying.

Please keep things friendly and .

This is my first Big Red Robe. The aroma is rather toasty/nutty.
Reminds me of roasting pine nuts when I was young, only without any of
the sap. The flavor is less toasty, but still nutty, and a bit like
salted butter. As the tea cools, the salt fades somewhat, and a
sweetness makes an appearance.

This is a difficult tea to rate. The flavor isn’t really what I want
in a tea. But there’s something about the taste that keeps calling
for a deeper exploration, as if, should I taste it just once more, I’d
realize that salted butter and toasted pine nuts is exactly what I
should want tea to taste like. It seems you can have good teas, and
interesting teas, and they’re not necessarily the same. This is an
interesting tea.

Please keep things friendly and .

I’ve been drinking a lot of Da Hong Pao lately to season a vintage unglazed Taiwanese clay pot I got recently. I am planning to only use it for Wuyi oolongs, probably DHP more than others.

This DHP starts with the expected aromas of roast, flowers, and spices, or what comes off more like camphor to me. Sipping the first infusion, it’s really mellow and smooth, subtle floral tones with a prune like fruity flavor.

The second infusion is more floral and lacks the fruity sweetness of the first. It’s rather perfumey, a very concentrated kind of floral taste, hard for me to put my thumb on what type of flower though. Maybe jasmine (something pungent like that) with a hint of rose or orchid?

The third infusion is much less intense again. It’s smooth with dried fruit notes, undertones of floral, and a hint of cooling sensation in the finish. A longer fourth infusion has brought out more spices in the aroma and a more rich and deep fruit flavor.

All in all, a good tea. To me, it’s a simple tea, not a complex one like some other Da Hong Pao I’ve had, so if you like simple, straightforward, dependable tea, well this one is good and hard to brew wrong. I still err in favor of more complex Da Hong Pao for this, which is largely the reason for my rating. If you are looking for really complex and striking Da Hong Pao, I’m afraid this is probably not the one to choose, but… Verdant has a 5 teas for $5 deal that currently includes this tea if you are a first-time customer. That includes shipping if you live in the US, China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong, so definitely give that box a try if you are new to Verdant tea. This is my first time trying teas from them, as I just bought that box, and I’m very happy they offer it. It’s always nice to try new teas without breaking the bank.

Flavors: Camphor, Dried Fruit, Floral, Spices

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Just finished this one off. It was lovely! Smooth and rich with a full, nutty flavor and a wonderful creamy mouth feel.

Flavors: Butter, Nutty, Smooth

Please keep things friendly and .

I had the one sample of this tea and brewed it later in the afternoon (after my caffeine intake was already near max). This impacted how I felt about the tea since I was not willing to do many infusions to give this tea a real try. I know many others have loved it but I’ve never loved roasted oolongs a lot. There are a few I do like so not all are excluded.

So when brewing this up it was just okay for me. It didn’t have an over roasted flavour. It was pleasant enough with some fruity notes. I just didn’t love it though so tried a 2nd infusion. It was pretty much the same as the first infusion and I gave up after that.