Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Smoked, Toffee, Winter Honey, Honey, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Floral, Malt, Stonefruits, Vegetal, Creamy, Mineral, Camphor, Dried Fruit, Spices, Butter, Nutty, Smooth, Cocoa, Metallic, Roasted Barley, Soybean, Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Nuts, Dark Chocolate, Vanilla, Walnut, Rose, Citrus, Honeysuckle, Pine, Powdered sugar, Sweet, Wood, Caramel, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Grass, Spinach, Tangy, Cream, Grain, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

Just got my big oolong order from Verdant (I’m excited to try their spring Tie Guan Yin!), I ordered an ounce of each of their oolong teas, but somehow, I forgot to add an ounce of this to my order. Thankfully, I got a nice sample pack of this tea with my order.

This tea gives you an incredible rocky mineral taste that fills your mouth in the first cup with hints of chocolate. I brewed this in a quick gong-fu style doing only 4 steepings. The rest of the cups were not as strong in the mineral sensation, but lightly smoky and with a really subtle hint of cinnamon.

I will re-brew this tea once I have time to do a longer gong-fu session and post a more detailed tasting note. Overall, I enjoyed this Da Hong Pao very much, especially the first cup.

Got a sample of this one with my recent purchase and all I can say is: WOW. I’m really starting to fall for wulongs. It has so many notes that it’s really hard to describe. It has a great smell, kind of spicy (but lovely) taste and wonderful rich aftertaste. Gotta order it ^^

This tasted like a typical high quality dark oolong. That’s not a bad thing since I’m starting to love oolongs, but I was expecting a bit more given the description.

I had this tea the other day at a co-worker’s tea gathering. I’ve had the big red robe several time before. Some of them were costly premium ones brought over by relatives from Singapore. Compared to what I’ve had, this tea not as heavily roasted as my other big red robe. The one is a bit sweeter but is missing the thick texture in premium batches. Overall this is a decent tea.

Brewed western style. 4g of leaf rinsed once with 208F water then steeped in 8oz at 208F for 1 min. The aroma is… Interesting. A little off putting to me. Notes of marijuana and brass mixed with roasted nuts. Quite a thin mouthfeel with some astringency throughout. Very earthy flavor, roasted nuts, some black coffee. I’ll have to revisit this one later.

This was my first experience with Big Red Robe. I’d heard a lot of hype about it, and was skeptical as to whether it could deliver, notwithstanding. It did. Furthermore, this tea has salvaged my interest in oolongs. I recently experienced a few that were underwhelming. This one changed that. I’m usually not given to fanciful descriptions, but this tea seems to warrant it. The scent is earthy and soulful; reminiscent of the smell of hot iron and rain on the horizon (if you can imagine those two). I’ve enjoyed three cups, thus far, and it has held up swimmingly. This is another tea that I’ll be repurchasing. It is absolutely worth trying.

This is my first Big Red Robe. The aroma is rather toasty/nutty.
Reminds me of roasting pine nuts when I was young, only without any of
the sap. The flavor is less toasty, but still nutty, and a bit like
salted butter. As the tea cools, the salt fades somewhat, and a
sweetness makes an appearance.

This is a difficult tea to rate. The flavor isn’t really what I want
in a tea. But there’s something about the taste that keeps calling
for a deeper exploration, as if, should I taste it just once more, I’d
realize that salted butter and toasted pine nuts is exactly what I
should want tea to taste like. It seems you can have good teas, and
interesting teas, and they’re not necessarily the same. This is an
interesting tea.

I actually like this, I don’t usually enjoy roasted oolongs, for the first couple steeps, it tastes a lot like hay at first, and nice and earthy with subtle cocoa notes, even tastes a bit like pumpkin and some spices, kinda like pumpkin pie

Once it wakes up after 3 or 4 steeps, it gets some woody, darker, and thicker with stronger chocolate notes with moderate astringency, it has quite a nice, comforting body. The roastiness isn’t very.. Uhm isn’t very like .. Central in the flavour? Like you can tell that it’s roasted just like with the laoshan roasted oolong, just this is a bit more noticeably roasty if any of that makes any sense. It finally begins to taste like autumn leaves after maybe 8 or 9 steeps, and around that point the roastiness gets strong into a point where I don’t like the taste as much, and it loses most of its complexity around this time, it’s just sort of roasty, with autumn leaves and dark and earthy, with radish and carrot notes.

This is my current favorite. Smooth and luscious, smokey and sweet. It’s absolutely perfect in the mornings.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Smoked, Toffee, Winter Honey

Seems a bit old, it came in a sample pack. Smells like roasted carrots almost. First brew was for 1:15 minutes at 200 F, with 1.5 tsp / 8 oz. Earthy sweet aroma, reminds me of roasted vegetables (carrots and beats). Initial impression is that it is similar to the other Tieguanyin, but does not taste like Japanese Sencha. Tastes more similar to black tea than green, which in this case is a good thing.

The more I drink this tea, the more I like it. The toasted rice taste is VERY subtle (doesn’t even come close to Genmaicha though).

Flavors: Honey, Roasted, Toasted Rice