Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Smooth, Malt, Roasted, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Mineral, Vanilla, Walnut, Rose, Citrus, Creamy, Floral, Honeysuckle, Nutty, Pine, Powdered sugar, Soybean, Stonefruits, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Wood, Caramel, Metallic, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Grass, Spinach, Tangy, Vegetal, Cream, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Spoonvonstup

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

Steeped in gaiwan. A medium-amber tea with heady aromas of marzipan, peaches and celery along with roasted notes, wet branches and a very light dusting of cocoa. Even something floral in there, though don’t ask me what. Quite minerally and roasted on the palate with a lingering finish. and touch of lemongrass?.
Full bodied with very fine astringency.

A hearty, complex tea with plenty of flavour.

A solid, middle of the road Wuyi oolong. I received a sample of this with my Shui Xian order and I prefer the latter of the two. This is a roasty tea with an oak wood aroma and flavor, and a mild sweetness. It takes a steeping or two for the fruity flavors of the tea to shine through. Overall a good tea, but doesn’t blow my socks off.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Malt, Oak wood, Roasted, Smooth

190 °F / 87 °C 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

The dry leaf aroma is dark chocolate, malt, and walnut. The aroma of the wet leaves is rock and mineral. The taste is a lovely combination of the two aromas. It’s at first mineral-y with a great, oaky, rock oolong flavor. Then it becomes silky smooth with a bit of caramel or honey. There’s even more honey in the second infusion and now a creamy vanilla note is seeping in.

I don’t usually like rock oolongs but this is delicious! It’s more honey and oak than mineral, which is a plus in my book. The tea liquor is a gorgeous amber. I’m gongfu brewing this in my gaiwan, slowly increasing the infusions by 5-10 seconds. I just fed the baby before starting this and luckily she’s being good for the moment. Thank you for allowing me to enjoy some tea, my darling!

Of course, the second I typed that she started fussing. ;) Now I’m carrying her in my Ergo and bouncing while the tea steeps. I think I’ll be enjoying the rest of these infusions with a baby strapped to my chest. :) This is great tea and I’d say the leaves are probably a good year old. I think Fujian oolongs are growing on me!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Honey, Mineral, Oak wood, Vanilla, Walnut

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 5 OZ / 147 ML

Wow, there are a lot of flavors listed for this tea, but when I tried it last night, I didn’t get much complexity. I’ve been interested in exploring yancha lately after trying and enjoying the DHP from Nannuoshan. I still think of the ones I’ve tried, I like that one best. This one and the one from Teavivre had a nice roast flavor and were sweet, but not much else. This one also has a nice medium viscosity. It was good, but didn’t seem special. I ordered two other yancha from Verdant with this one, so I’ll see if those are more interesting. Overall, not terrible, but not exciting.

Really a lovely oolong. Some nice floral notes, and really delicious. Will enjoy this one!

Flavors: Rose

I have had over 10 versions of this from different companies. Verdant tea offers the best Big Red Robe I have ever had. The first two steeps are amazing. I can get about 4-6 infusions.

This is a solid oolong. I received a sample in my last VT order. While I’ve learned that I generally dislike Wuyi mountain oolong, I went ahead and gave it a try.

Method:
2tsp/10oz
~190F
Rinse: 5sec
First steep: 1min
Second steep: 1min 15sec
Third steep: 1min 30sec
Fourth steep: 3min

It opens with a sweet, nutty, kettle corn flavor that I identify with roasted TGY or Alishan. It’s a bit like toasted rice. There is a light mineral taste and a clean freshness that makes me think of river stones. The reason most Wuyi oolongs turn me off is the overbearing mineral/metallic taste I’ve found in every one that I’ve tried. Rather than being a dominant flavor, here it acts as a subtle middle note. It supports the equally mellow flavor of wood—it reminds me of tree bark. The finish is creamy vanilla and soybean, and it leaves the lingering taste of honeysuckle flowers on my tongue. The second steep has stronger notes of roasted nuts and light woodsmoke. By the third steep the heavier, roasted flavors, minerals, and nuts have receded. It leaves a floral and refreshing liquid that bears faint memories of rice and pine. The finish is clean, though traces of vanilla bean and honey remain. In the last steep there are notes of stone fruit and a playful, tangy, citrus-like tone. Again the finish is clean and it leaves a cooling sensation in the back of the throat. Powdered sugar and crushed flowers follow, but the cooling sensation lingers. Overall this was a very pleasant surprise. Not at all what I expected, and the first time that I’ve sincerely enjoyed a straight oolong in a very long time.

Flavors: Citrus, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Honeysuckle, Mineral, Nutty, Pine, Powdered sugar, Roasted, Smoke, Soybean, Stonefruits, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Wood

This is marvelous. It’s hard to describe the aroma of a Da Hong Pao. There’s just something very right and very tea about it. Taking a whiff of the dry tea instantly takes me back to my childhood, those times when I was curious about my family’s tea collection and would open the canisters to see (and sniff) what was inside. This one also reminds me of a summer trip to Fujian, and taking a raft down the river by Wuyi Mountain. Some of the most incredibly blue skies I’d ever seen that side of the world. (Yes, I actually went there! But I was too young to appreciate the tea culture as much, and was more interested in finding the supposedly 30 different kinds of cicadas on the mountain that all made different noises.)

The flavor profile of this is roasty, with a touch of caramel and a lingering sweetness. There’s a honey citrus zest to it that reminds me a bit of a Mi Lan Xiang Dancong, as well as a more meaty fruit sweetness like longan fruit. I’m sure this one will stand up to further exploration. Thanks to beelicious for the sample! I also have another sample from a Verdant order last year in an unopened pouch. Maybe it’s from a different harvest, and it would be interesting to compare the two.

Short, short steeps in my gaiwan, about a third full of leaves.
First steep: roasty notes, mineral notes, rock sugar notes, but all very mild. Smells a bit salty.
Much sweeter scent in the aroma cup this steep. The minerality and rock sugar notes have purified.
Third steep: roasty and salty again, with a sweet aftertaste. Not sure I really want to continue with this tea. It’s not rocking my world.

Flavors: Mineral, Roasted

I’m enjoying infusion after infusion of this tea today, after listening to the third episode of Laszlo Montgomery’s History of Tea podcast (was tipped off to that by ifjuly, and it’s utterly fantastic…), which is going into incredible detail on the history of tea in China.
So, listening to that, while sipping this, is an absolute pleasure. :)
It’s fruity finish, led into by it’s chocolatey first note, I find to be so lovely.
This is one of those teas I just always want to go back to.