Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Apricot, Citrus, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Nutty, Raisins, Baked Bread, Cherry, Molasses, Plums, Stonefruits, Tobacco, Chocolate, Honeysuckle, Melon, Mineral, Raspberry, Vanilla, Wood, Bitter, Black Currant, Grass, Astringent, Cinnamon, Roasted Barley, Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Smoked, Toffee, Winter Honey, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Malt, Vegetal, Creamy, Camphor, Dried Fruit, Spices, Butter, Smooth, Cocoa, Metallic, Soybean, Burnt Sugar, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry Wood, Nuts, Dark Chocolate, Walnut, Rose, Pine, Powdered sugar, Sweet, Caramel, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Spinach, Tangy, Cream, Grain, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

For a key to my rating scale, check out my bio.

Closer in flavor to a Phoenix Oolong – not classic Big Red Robe in any sense – too lightly roasted/oxidized.

Flavors: Bitter, Black Currant, Citrus, Grass

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

This is from Verdant’s 5 for 5.

15, 30, 45, 60, 1m30

This is one of the lighter roasted Big Red Robes I’ve had. It honestly reminds me of Tie Guan Yin. I used my usual yancha parameters and just found this to be unexciting. It leaves a metallic taste (not a pleasant mineral note) on the tongue and is astringent. This tea had a unpleasant drying affect to my throat. I usually drink wuyis with heavy leaf and short steeps so I don’t think that’s what’s causing the problem. If I had more than 5 grams of this I would experiment with the brewing parameters.

Overall, not terribly impressed. The flavor was okay but the mouth-feel was disappointing.

Flavors: Astringent, Floral, Raisins

190 °F / 87 °C 5 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

First of all let me just say that I think I put too much tea in. I used the entire 4ish grams for my little tiny gaiwan. As a result, the first four brews of this were extremely strong and bitter. As the water cooled and I did faster steeping times, the tea started to mellow out.

Regardless, I enjoyed this tea best at a lower temperature than the “factory recommendation” of 208. 195 seemed to pull better flavors out. These included a woody sort of toasted barley. Sometimes I would get hints of cinnamon or chocolate, but not often.

This is one of those teas that I can appreciate, but not love.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Mineral, Roasted Barley, Wood

I actually like this, I don’t usually enjoy roasted oolongs, for the first couple steeps, it tastes a lot like hay at first, and nice and earthy with subtle cocoa notes, even tastes a bit like pumpkin and some spices, kinda like pumpkin pie

Once it wakes up after 3 or 4 steeps, it gets some woody, darker, and thicker with stronger chocolate notes with moderate astringency, it has quite a nice, comforting body. The roastiness isn’t very.. Uhm isn’t very like .. Central in the flavour? Like you can tell that it’s roasted just like with the laoshan roasted oolong, just this is a bit more noticeably roasty if any of that makes any sense. It finally begins to taste like autumn leaves after maybe 8 or 9 steeps, and around that point the roastiness gets strong into a point where I don’t like the taste as much, and it loses most of its complexity around this time, it’s just sort of roasty, with autumn leaves and dark and earthy, with radish and carrot notes.

This is my current favorite. Smooth and luscious, smokey and sweet. It’s absolutely perfect in the mornings.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Smoked, Toffee, Winter Honey

Seems a bit old, it came in a sample pack. Smells like roasted carrots almost. First brew was for 1:15 minutes at 200 F, with 1.5 tsp / 8 oz. Earthy sweet aroma, reminds me of roasted vegetables (carrots and beats). Initial impression is that it is similar to the other Tieguanyin, but does not taste like Japanese Sencha. Tastes more similar to black tea than green, which in this case is a good thing.

The more I drink this tea, the more I like it. The toasted rice taste is VERY subtle (doesn’t even come close to Genmaicha though).

Flavors: Honey, Roasted, Toasted Rice

Had this a couple of days ago. One of the best oolongs I have ever had. Slight to no astringency. Honey and floral notes with a slight buttery taste. Aroma was very much like a typical oolong with hints of burnt grass.

My first oolong. It was like a fine wine but I was a young man. Perhaps I’d better appreciate the tea now?

One day I’ll go exploring and learn to appreciate the darker varieties of oolong. For now it just tastes like a green oolong except it’s also tangy sour and the malt of roasted grains (also think the non-waffle ice cream cones). It’s simply not my thing right now.

Flavors: Floral, Malt, Stonefruits, Vegetal

Dark twisted oolong- faint smell
Rinse- marijuana smell
1st steep: 10s, amber color, spicy astringency, bittering not sweet nor particularly pleasant
2nd steep: 15-20s, orangeish, spices, vegetal undertones, bit watery
3rd steep: 45s, meh I think it’s gone
Disappointing relatively

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 80 ML
bromeliaceae

Literally my exact thoughts trying this tea.

bromeliaceae

Literally my exact thoughts trying this tea.