Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Citrus, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Honeysuckle, Mineral, Nutty, Pine, Powdered sugar, Roasted, Smoke, Soybean, Stonefruits, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Wood, Fruity, Caramel, Metallic, Chestnut, Smooth, Wet Earth, Earth, Grass, Spinach, Tangy, Vegetal, Cream, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Spoonvonstup

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

I’m enjoying infusion after infusion of this tea today, after listening to the third episode of Laszlo Montgomery’s History of Tea podcast (was tipped off to that by ifjuly, and it’s utterly fantastic…), which is going into incredible detail on the history of tea in China.
So, listening to that, while sipping this, is an absolute pleasure. :)
It’s fruity finish, led into by it’s chocolatey first note, I find to be so lovely.
This is one of those teas I just always want to go back to.

Dark oolong with a woody floral aroma. This tea has a honey sweetness and a floral fruity taste.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

And then today, I was intrigued to try my other Verdant sample. I have a box of DHP from my boss at the clinic, and I know that (like most roasted oolongs) it’s not my usual preference. They’re growing on me, certainly, and I think I’m getting better at identifying the more nuanced flavours, but I’d still always rather have a green oolong.

That said, on my second most recent visit to the clinic, the only oolong I had access to was the same style of DHP that he gave me. I made myself some up and, though it still probably wasn’t my tea of choice, it was good and it made me curious about the one from Verdant.

So, today, I finally conceded to that curiosity and gave it a go. I used my lovely Yixing Gaiwan (the inside is glazed, though) from Butiki and used half of the Verdant sample sachet – that felt about right as this particular DHP (as the photo shows) is quite loose and the Gaiwan was around 1/3 full by that point. I’d guess it had a limit of no more than 120 ml, but 100 ml was probably all I used.

Anyway, after doing all of the prerequisite heating of Gaiwan, pitcher and cups, I gave the tea a rinse and left it to sit for a minute or two whilst my Mum helped me do some interview prep. Then, during the course of the various practice questions we drilled, I started to make and drink this tea.

The first infusion must have been for no more than 10 seconds. And that was certainly enough for me!! The infusion was caramel coloured and certainly very tasty – and, if I’m honest, much nicer than the other DHP I made. I think that was massively aided by brewing method and more exact quantities of everything, though. This tea was smooth, roasty and definitely had those “classic” caramel/dark-toffee notes. And to Verdant’s credit, I actually do get the tingly-metal-and-mineral note that they try to describe. I didn’t read their blurb for this tea, beforehand (just the Brewing guidance), as I feel it usually biases me, but on retrospective reading, I could definitely get that idea!

Later infusions were longer and milder. The caramel flavour did build up over the first few steeps, though, as the roastiness subsided. It was definitely a smoother drink and all of the infusions were quite sweet, which I did enjoy and appreciate.

I’m still not 100% sure dark-roasted oolongs are for me. I know that this is the classic way to prepare most fine oolongs and it’s the most traditional, etc, but I’m just so enamoured by the greener ones that I’m becoming biased against anything else :P For those who like DHPs, this one seemed like a really good quality product. I certainly couldn’t offer any objective fault. The leaves looked really lovely in my Gaiwan – full, beautiful leaves. They had a really charming mix of dark-purple and dark-green, too.

So yeah… Roasty oolong lovers – give it a go!

(PS: I’m also finally confident enough about the number of such oolongs I’ve tried that I’m gonna offer a score for this. It did seem like a really high quality product and I could see no real reason to not offer it a pretty high, within my usual parameters. I may revise it, as I gain more experience, but it certainly seems fair for now!)

Flavors: Caramel, Metallic, Mineral

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Whenever I spot the package of this tea sitting on my shelf, I find myself humming “Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe do-dah do-dah. Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe ho-de-do-dah-day.” With apologize to those of you who will not be able to get that tune out of your head for the rest of the day, I have to say that this is a tea worth singing about. I did three 30s steeps at 205°. The leaves smelled like roasted chestnuts and the reddish liquor was likewise nutty with a light vanilla or gentle caramel thing going on. The second steep smelled even nuttier. All around goodness. Tra-la.

Flavors: Caramel, Chestnut, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Thank you for the mystery tea Verdant. I didn’t look on here to see what it was before I opened it and when I did I figured it was a straight black tea. Oolongs and greens teas are the only ones I seem to like plain so I’m glad this is an oolong. It’s smooth and has a nice almost ginseng after taste to it. Somewhat vegetal but honestly I don’t know the correct words to describe oolongs. They truly have their own flavor.

1 tsp

I thought I would like this one a lot more than I did. It smelled and tasted heavily roasted. But there was also a very strong floral oolong flavour, very greenish tasting. I much prefer a darker oolong vs a green one.

It did brew up very light and clear. There was a slight natural sweetness to the tea. I just wish there was more roast to the flavour profile. I will have to try further steeps.

Very strong – not to be over-steeped or enjoyed on an empty stomach, and certainly not both. Good quality, unfolding brew after brew. Overall, a solid Wuyi.

This is a really lovely oolong from Verdant. I found the flavor profile unusual, at least in my tea experience so far… Most of the oolongs I’ve tried are either green/orchid/floral or roasted/peach/orchid in terms of flavor. But this oolong is very smooth and creamy, and tastes strongly of oak. I can taste a subtle note of vanilla, almost more of a texture than a taste. There’s a bit of a nutty quality too, but the oak is the most dominant.

Incidentally, I steeped this tea according to the “Western” parameters on Verdant’s website. I have to say, I really like how their teas taste with the extra-short steeping times. (Just 30 seconds for the first steep, then adding 15 seconds for each cup afterward.) I have to use a lot of leaf, about a tablespoon or so, but it’s worth it. The tea turns out so flavorful and smooth, and it seems like it’s easier for me to pick out the interesting notes.

Anyway, this is a delicious and sophisticated oolong! I’m glad I had the chance to try it as part of their 5 for 5 sampler, and to expand my experience with tea. I’d never tried a Big Red Robe oolong before, and I have to say, I’m intrigued. Too bad I’ve already finished off my sample! Perhaps I’ll order more soon?

Got a sample of this one with my last Verdant order!
I hear a lot about this tea it feels like, so I’m happy to have gotten a sample of it.
The steeping aroma was pretty light and roasty.
The taste was more than just roasty-ness though. There were hints of floral that made it a lot smoother and lighter.
Wasn’t sure I’d like this one since I’m not really drinking a lot of roasty teas lately, but the floral notes really do balance this one out. Not bad at all!
Happy To have tried this one! Thanks for the sample, Verdant! :D

Flavors: Floral, Roasted, Smooth

boychik

that was not my fav and i tried some DHP recently