Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Cocoa, Metallic, Roasted Barley, Soybean, Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Smooth, Malt, Roasted, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Mineral, Vanilla, Walnut, Rose, Citrus, Creamy, Floral, Honeysuckle, Nutty, Pine, Powdered sugar, Stonefruits, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Wood, Caramel, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Grass, Spinach, Tangy, Vegetal, Cream, Grain, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

This is a really good oolong (and I’m not a huge fan of oolong). By third steep, I was in love! It went from strong and even a bit bitter, to very floral and happiness and sunshine by the third and final steep (one minute, three minutes, five minutes). Next time I’ll try even shorter steeps to see just what the flavor does.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

This was disappointing. I’ve been waiting to try this for awhile, so I finally picked it out. I opened the package and took in the sweet tang and heavy wood aroma. So far so good right? I poured out the tea and then I became saddened. It was just short of a full gongfu session (so I reduced water) and the “leaves” were mostly dusting. I washed the bits once and watched as most of them poured away. I was mostly turned off at this point. A big thing for me is presentation and quality. I wasn’t really feeling the gongfu session to much, but I preceded thinking “don’t judge a book by its cover” sort of thing. The leaves gave off a roasted oak and burnt sugar scent. The liquor was dirty. There were tons of little bits everywhere, hahah. It was quite a mess. The flavor was good. This wasn’t a phenomenal Wuyi, but it was still fairly decent. The initial sip started with a sharp tang and smoothed with dark fruit tones. The session proceeded into a deep caramel and rum flavor. I was able to get about five steeps out this small package, which inst that bad. Altogether, I’m glad I was able to try it, but I wont be jumping to get anymore of this.

I picked out the whole leaves for the photo…

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

It wasn’t my favorite. I think it’s not roasted enough (for me) and it has more flowery profile that I feel comfortable with

Attractive tea set by the way!

Please keep things friendly and .

Backlog, and the next few I do for a while are going to be backlogs.

So, I liked this one, and it made me realize that I’m kind picky when it comes to Wu Yi dark oolongs. I maybe should have rinsed this one to get more flavors, but what I got is a slightly fruitier rock oolong.

Water at 195 degrees F.

#1. 30 second first infusion.
What I get- woodsy, smooth, a little nutty, roasted, and bits of cocoa. It’s so close to being a black tea to me. It’s also like a less astringent version of the Irie Wu Yi Oolong.

#2. 20 seconds. Cherry, but still woodsy. Not bad. Not Great.

#3. 45 seconds. Still cherry, some wood-which is skewed because I had chocolate. Way better.

#4. 1 minute. Much better. More cherry, with a hint of cocoa-very smooth and better lighter. It’s like cooked cherry really. The wood is not as strong and it’s sweeter. Really, this is more like cherry wood vs. Irie’s bamboo like oolong overall.

#5. Stored some in the same Teavana container (glass one) overnight in the fridge, and it was a refreshing iced version of steep four that was surprisingly sweeter.

Consensus-I really have to be in the mood for a dark oolong to really like it. The woodsy notes are welcomed, but get overwhelming at times. I have to be especially choosy when I get them from now on.

Flavors: Cherry, Cherry Wood, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Smooth

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Steeped in gaiwan. A medium-amber tea with heady aromas of marzipan, peaches and celery along with roasted notes, wet branches and a very light dusting of cocoa. Even something floral in there, though don’t ask me what. Quite minerally and roasted on the palate with a lingering finish. and touch of lemongrass?.
Full bodied with very fine astringency.

A hearty, complex tea with plenty of flavour.

Please keep things friendly and .

Despite my meh feeling towards roasted oolongs, I still buy Wuyi because I like it in bubble tea and a few have been quite memorable. This tea wasn’t much to brag about initially until I ignored brewing directions and dialed the leaf quantity way down to about 1 tsp/1 gram.

That may be weak for some, but for me it was perfect. It brought out the tea’s best flavor without the overbearing roastiness that can ruin it. There is a smooth, roasty oak flavor complemented with a slightly sweet minerality and notes of cacao nibs. I’ve noticed the latter is characteristic of many of Verdant teas. As it cools, it develops more sweetness and complexity.

Bumping up my rating as I now enjoy this after finally getting the steeping right.

Please keep things friendly and .

The dry leaf aroma is dark chocolate, malt, and walnut. The aroma of the wet leaves is rock and mineral. The taste is a lovely combination of the two aromas. It’s at first mineral-y with a great, oaky, rock oolong flavor. Then it becomes silky smooth with a bit of caramel or honey. There’s even more honey in the second infusion and now a creamy vanilla note is seeping in.

I don’t usually like rock oolongs but this is delicious! It’s more honey and oak than mineral, which is a plus in my book. The tea liquor is a gorgeous amber. I’m gongfu brewing this in my gaiwan, slowly increasing the infusions by 5-10 seconds. I just fed the baby before starting this and luckily she’s being good for the moment. Thank you for allowing me to enjoy some tea, my darling!

Of course, the second I typed that she started fussing. ;) Now I’m carrying her in my Ergo and bouncing while the tea steeps. I think I’ll be enjoying the rest of these infusions with a baby strapped to my chest. :) This is great tea and I’d say the leaves are probably a good year old. I think Fujian oolongs are growing on me!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Honey, Mineral, Oak wood, Vanilla, Walnut

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 5 OZ / 147 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Wow, there are a lot of flavors listed for this tea, but when I tried it last night, I didn’t get much complexity. I’ve been interested in exploring yancha lately after trying and enjoying the DHP from Nannuoshan. I still think of the ones I’ve tried, I like that one best. This one and the one from Teavivre had a nice roast flavor and were sweet, but not much else. This one also has a nice medium viscosity. It was good, but didn’t seem special. I ordered two other yancha from Verdant with this one, so I’ll see if those are more interesting. Overall, not terrible, but not exciting.

Please keep things friendly and .

Really a lovely oolong. Some nice floral notes, and really delicious. Will enjoy this one!

Flavors: Rose

Please keep things friendly and .

I have had over 10 versions of this from different companies. Verdant tea offers the best Big Red Robe I have ever had. The first two steeps are amazing. I can get about 4-6 infusions.

Please keep things friendly and .

This is a solid oolong. I received a sample in my last VT order. While I’ve learned that I generally dislike Wuyi mountain oolong, I went ahead and gave it a try.

Rinse: 5sec
First steep: 1min
Second steep: 1min 15sec
Third steep: 1min 30sec
Fourth steep: 3min

It opens with a sweet, nutty, kettle corn flavor that I identify with roasted TGY or Alishan. It’s a bit like toasted rice. There is a light mineral taste and a clean freshness that makes me think of river stones. The reason most Wuyi oolongs turn me off is the overbearing mineral/metallic taste I’ve found in every one that I’ve tried. Rather than being a dominant flavor, here it acts as a subtle middle note. It supports the equally mellow flavor of wood—it reminds me of tree bark. The finish is creamy vanilla and soybean, and it leaves the lingering taste of honeysuckle flowers on my tongue. The second steep has stronger notes of roasted nuts and light woodsmoke. By the third steep the heavier, roasted flavors, minerals, and nuts have receded. It leaves a floral and refreshing liquid that bears faint memories of rice and pine. The finish is clean, though traces of vanilla bean and honey remain. In the last steep there are notes of stone fruit and a playful, tangy, citrus-like tone. Again the finish is clean and it leaves a cooling sensation in the back of the throat. Powdered sugar and crushed flowers follow, but the cooling sensation lingers. Overall this was a very pleasant surprise. Not at all what I expected, and the first time that I’ve sincerely enjoyed a straight oolong in a very long time.

Flavors: Citrus, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Honeysuckle, Mineral, Nutty, Pine, Powdered sugar, Roasted, Smoke, Soybean, Stonefruits, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Wood