Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Floral, Malt, Stonefruits, Vegetal, Creamy, Mineral, Camphor, Dried Fruit, Spices, Butter, Nutty, Smooth, Cocoa, Metallic, Roasted Barley, Soybean, Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Nuts, Roasted, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Vanilla, Walnut, Rose, Citrus, Honeysuckle, Pine, Powdered sugar, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Wood, Caramel, Chestnut, Wet Earth, Earth, Grass, Spinach, Tangy, Cream, Grain, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

From Verdant Tea

It took Verdant Tea 4 months of sampling to find a Big Red Robe unique and delicious enough to really justify importing. This incredible tea from the rocky cliffs of Wuyi mountain offers a side of Big Red Robe that most people have never seen. Usually all you get is caramel, chocolate and floral notes. This goes far beyond. In early steepings, there is an intriguing sensation on the tongue, almost like the metallic vibrations of a bronze cast bell, or the idea of fast moving water flowing over slate. As the tea opens up, there is a perfectly synthesized note of orange and elderberry that dominates, and lingers in the back of the throat. In middle steepings, the elderberry orange flavor splits into fruity wine grape notes, hibiscus-infused dark chocolate, and molasses cookies with crystalized Thai ginger. In late steepings, the thick beany and malty flavor of Laoshan green comes through, combined with the lilac sweetness of Tieguanyin. One of our favorite aspects of this tea is that it was expertly roasted in a way that lets so much complexity come through the caramel notes of any darker oolong. If you are interested in oolongs, or seek a very comforting yet engaging tea, give this a try for a new perspective.

About Verdant Tea View company

Dark twisted oolong- faint smell
Rinse- marijuana smell
1st steep: 10s, amber color, spicy astringency, bittering not sweet nor particularly pleasant
2nd steep: 15-20s, orangeish, spices, vegetal undertones, bit watery
3rd steep: 45s, meh I think it’s gone
Disappointing relatively

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Dry leaf smells of light roast and green. Tasting this tea was more about mouthfeel for me. I didn’t get discernable flavor from it. I did feel it was comforting. Smooth, slightly minerally, juicy. Later steeps were creamy. I liked it, but it didn’t taste like much.

Flavors: Creamy, Mineral

I’ve been drinking a lot of Da Hong Pao lately to season a vintage unglazed Taiwanese clay pot I got recently. I am planning to only use it for Wuyi oolongs, probably DHP more than others.

This DHP starts with the expected aromas of roast, flowers, and spices, or what comes off more like camphor to me. Sipping the first infusion, it’s really mellow and smooth, subtle floral tones with a prune like fruity flavor.

The second infusion is more floral and lacks the fruity sweetness of the first. It’s rather perfumey, a very concentrated kind of floral taste, hard for me to put my thumb on what type of flower though. Maybe jasmine (something pungent like that) with a hint of rose or orchid?

The third infusion is much less intense again. It’s smooth with dried fruit notes, undertones of floral, and a hint of cooling sensation in the finish. A longer fourth infusion has brought out more spices in the aroma and a more rich and deep fruit flavor.

All in all, a good tea. To me, it’s a simple tea, not a complex one like some other Da Hong Pao I’ve had, so if you like simple, straightforward, dependable tea, well this one is good and hard to brew wrong. I still err in favor of more complex Da Hong Pao for this, which is largely the reason for my rating. If you are looking for really complex and striking Da Hong Pao, I’m afraid this is probably not the one to choose, but… Verdant has a 5 teas for $5 deal that currently includes this tea if you are a first-time customer. That includes shipping if you live in the US, China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong, so definitely give that box a try if you are new to Verdant tea. This is my first time trying teas from them, as I just bought that box, and I’m very happy they offer it. It’s always nice to try new teas without breaking the bank.

Flavors: Camphor, Dried Fruit, Floral, Spices

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Just finished this one off. It was lovely! Smooth and rich with a full, nutty flavor and a wonderful creamy mouth feel.

Flavors: Butter, Nutty, Smooth

I had the one sample of this tea and brewed it later in the afternoon (after my caffeine intake was already near max). This impacted how I felt about the tea since I was not willing to do many infusions to give this tea a real try. I know many others have loved it but I’ve never loved roasted oolongs a lot. There are a few I do like so not all are excluded.

So when brewing this up it was just okay for me. It didn’t have an over roasted flavour. It was pleasant enough with some fruity notes. I just didn’t love it though so tried a 2nd infusion. It was pretty much the same as the first infusion and I gave up after that.

Very smokey and sweet. I always like a tea that can resteep well, and tastes as good cold as it does hot. Different, but good.

The first steep was a deep brown and very well balanced between the flavours of the roast, earth, and wood. Very smooth. No astringency. The second steep was a bit milder, with a funky tangy taste to it, but it eventually settled down into more roastiness, this time with a fruitier undertone. The final steep of 40 seconds was the lightest in both colour and flavour, with a deep amber tint and creamy/floral notes coming to the fore. Overall, this was a remarkably smooth Wuyi oolong.

Full review at: http://booksandtea.ca/2015/10/verdant-teas-5-for-5-sample-pack/

This is a really good oolong (and I’m not a huge fan of oolong). By third steep, I was in love! It went from strong and even a bit bitter, to very floral and happiness and sunshine by the third and final steep (one minute, three minutes, five minutes). Next time I’ll try even shorter steeps to see just what the flavor does.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This was disappointing. I’ve been waiting to try this for awhile, so I finally picked it out. I opened the package and took in the sweet tang and heavy wood aroma. So far so good right? I poured out the tea and then I became saddened. It was just short of a full gongfu session (so I reduced water) and the “leaves” were mostly dusting. I washed the bits once and watched as most of them poured away. I was mostly turned off at this point. A big thing for me is presentation and quality. I wasn’t really feeling the gongfu session to much, but I preceded thinking “don’t judge a book by its cover” sort of thing. The leaves gave off a roasted oak and burnt sugar scent. The liquor was dirty. There were tons of little bits everywhere, hahah. It was quite a mess. The flavor was good. This wasn’t a phenomenal Wuyi, but it was still fairly decent. The initial sip started with a sharp tang and smoothed with dark fruit tones. The session proceeded into a deep caramel and rum flavor. I was able to get about five steeps out this small package, which inst that bad. Altogether, I’m glad I was able to try it, but I wont be jumping to get anymore of this.

I picked out the whole leaves for the photo…

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Oak wood, Rum, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
boychik

It wasn’t my favorite. I think it’s not roasted enough (for me) and it has more flowery profile that I feel comfortable with

teatortoise

Attractive tea set by the way!

Backlog, and the next few I do for a while are going to be backlogs.

So, I liked this one, and it made me realize that I’m kind picky when it comes to Wu Yi dark oolongs. I maybe should have rinsed this one to get more flavors, but what I got is a slightly fruitier rock oolong.

Water at 195 degrees F.

#1. 30 second first infusion.
What I get- woodsy, smooth, a little nutty, roasted, and bits of cocoa. It’s so close to being a black tea to me. It’s also like a less astringent version of the Irie Wu Yi Oolong.

#2. 20 seconds. Cherry, but still woodsy. Not bad. Not Great.

#3. 45 seconds. Still cherry, some wood-which is skewed because I had chocolate. Way better.

#4. 1 minute. Much better. More cherry, with a hint of cocoa-very smooth and better lighter. It’s like cooked cherry really. The wood is not as strong and it’s sweeter. Really, this is more like cherry wood vs. Irie’s bamboo like oolong overall.

#5. Stored some in the same Teavana container (glass one) overnight in the fridge, and it was a refreshing iced version of steep four that was surprisingly sweeter.

Consensus-I really have to be in the mood for a dark oolong to really like it. The woodsy notes are welcomed, but get overwhelming at times. I have to be especially choosy when I get them from now on.

Flavors: Cherry, Cherry Wood, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Smooth