Golden Earl

Baked Bread, Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Pastries, Cocoa, Cream, Chocolate, Citrus, Dark Chocolate, Grain
Edit tea info Last updated by David Duckler

• “_This_ morning is why I hate Daylight Savings Time so much. It's always so hard for me to fall asleep Sunday night, and then the alarm feels like its going off an hour early this morning. At least...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1957 tasting notes
  • “I've had this for quite some time now ... I bought it way back when! It is a case of having a lot of tea to taste and not enough time to taste it all when I'd like to! I think that I may have...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4391 tasting notes
  • “I love this. The brewed tea has a heavy sort of honey smell, it's very pleasant. Earls are my favourite kind of tea and this one is perfectly satisfying for a Sunday night in. It has a softer edge...” Read full tasting note
    MilkPocky 145 tasting notes
  • “Awesome, awesome, awesome. I was always very into Earl Greys. Actually, until my tea obsession blew up big-time about a year and a half ago, it was my go-to. These days, though, I rarely drink any...” Read full tasting note
    nomadinjeopardy 658 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

We couldn’t resist doing our take on the Earl Grey. Ours starts with a naturally sweet and citrusy Yunnan Golden Buds Black. We infuse it with bergamot, and meld the citrus notes with a touch of orange rind and lemongrass. This Earl Grey is a full experience, using the bergamot to balance the tea, instead of overwhelm it.

Ingredients: Yunnan Golden Buds, Orange Rind, Lemongrass, Bergamot Oil

About Verdant Tea View company

1957 tasting notes

This morning is why I hate Daylight Savings Time so much. It’s always so hard for me to fall asleep Sunday night, and then the alarm feels like its going off an hour early this morning. At least when I deal with jetlag after traveling, I’m so exhausted from traveling that I fall asleep anyway.

I decided on this tea today because I haven’t had it in a while. It doesn’t really call out to me when I want a plain Earl Grey, but it is incredibly delicious. I think it seems more citrusy to me because the tea is such a bright orange color when steeped. I think I forgot how good this one was! What a great pairing of base and flavor. Golden yunnans do seem to be some of my favorite blacks, and every time I drink a tea like this I appreciate more and more flavored teas with very high quality bases.

Indigobloom

DLS… ugh, I want my hour refund!!

CelebriTEA

lol @ Indigobloom… very funny

I’ve had this for quite some time now … I bought it way back when! It is a case of having a lot of tea to taste and not enough time to taste it all when I’d like to!

I think that I may have gone a little light on the leaf, because the flavor is a bit lighter than I’d like it to be … it is still quite enjoyable, just not as strong as I want it. I will hold off on rating it and writing my full-length review of it until I’ve had more time to spend with this tea.

Nicole

This sounds like something that would appeal to me. Onto the list it goes!

I love this. The brewed tea has a heavy sort of honey smell, it’s very pleasant. Earls are my favourite kind of tea and this one is perfectly satisfying for a Sunday night in. It has a softer edge than a typical earl grey and a slight creaminess in the texture and finish. The bready taste from the Yunnan Golden Buds adds depth. No unpleasant bitterness but maybe a little sugar or honey would be nice to bring out the natural sweetness.

Yesterday I was out observing the TIFF elite and walked right by Bono in front of the Royal York hotel! He was literally about a foot away from me. He tried to get into a taxi but the door wouldn’t open.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I was always very into Earl Greys. Actually, until my tea obsession blew up big-time about a year and a half ago, it was my go-to. These days, though, I rarely drink any form of Earl as so many seem to be made with sub-par bases and sub-par bergamot flavouring. I love bergamot but prefer it to be pretty subtle (read: not strong enough to cover up a boring base). Yunnan golden buds have become my go-to black in the interim, actually. It’s become apparent that it’s my ideal morning tea, with their velvety smoothness and re-steepability.

So, this is brilliant. What a combination! I had to order it up during the Black Friday sale (can I also compliment Verdant’s not only free but actually fast shipping to Canada?). I was saving it to give it proper attention, and that’s what it got today. It’s lovely! I am drinking a cup of Verdant’s excellent Yunnan golden buds, which I already drink and love. But on the second half of the sip, a lovely citrusy flavour blossoms. The bergamot is just right, and I can just feel the lemongrass on my tongue. It’s there, supporting the tea, but not bossing it around. So far I think the Alchemy teas do exactly what they set out to do; the added flavours complement the teas beautifully without overwhelming them in the slightest.

I’m on my second steep of this (first at four minutes, second at five in the Breville) and the Yunnan has been tamed slightly while not dissipating at all. It’s still rich and creamy, but the sweetness has come out more.

Well I was on the fence about buying this. I have not had earl grey in a long time without the word crème following it. So I did not know if I should get the Golden Earl or the Lavender Earl Green. So here it is the Golden won. The bag smelled amazing. Orange and honey with light Bergamot scent in the back.
I am writing this note after drinking it twice. The first time was not the best experience. After brewing it and tasting it something was a little off. Sadly I can not explain what it was. The dry and wet leaf smelled great, just when I drank it it did not come together.
I decided to try it again this morning. Much better for sure. The orange and golden buds was right there in front. For the first cup I did not add anything, which I usually don’t. The second steep I wanted to add a little honey.The bergamot was there in the back. Not overpowering the tea.
I used more tea the second time I drank it…I guess that was the problem the first time.

I think I have done the impossible and actually drunk too much tea.

Anyway.

Dry, this tea smells amazing. I want to just keep a bowl of it everywhere in the house, like delicious Earl Grey potpurri. I want to stuff my pillow with it at night. Guh. It’s a beautiful golden fuzzy tea.

Brewed . . . I don’t know. Rita made the pot and she claims that she messed up the brewing, so I’m going to make another cup in the morning and see how I feel when my eyeballs are not floating in a sea of pu’erh. Going to leave it unrated for the moment.

Ninavampi

And what is too much tea defined as? Just curious! : )

Ooooh. This (the smell and the taste) are reminding of something (possibly TWO somethings) and I can’t quite figure out what…! But the tea is really, really good. Not very Earl Grey but man, so interesting! …adding to shopping list…

Marco Polo TTB

What I remember is the smell of the lemongrass, breadiness from the yunnan and bergamot in the background oh and that it is not available at the moment to order.
My computer died yesterday, I had a few notes on a few teas lost forever but other than that I will not be missing much.

Cheri

I didn’t realize this had lemongrass in it. I might have tried it. I’m not a huge EG fan, but I do like lemongrass a lot.

Lewis & Clarke TTB

I was unsure what to expect from this one based on the name, other than the bergamot. I was happy to see that the “Golden” part of it is a Yunnan base tea, yums. There’s also lemongrass and orange peel mixed in, which is lovely. The dry scent is overwhelmingly bergamot. :P The instructions are… weird, so I just did 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Yum, the brewed tea smells strongly of lemon and orange, and it’s making my mouth water. I love that I can taste the lemon and orange more than the bergamot in this tea! Yeah, I like bergamot, but I hate it when it overpowers other flavors. The Yunnan base is light and bready and pastrylike, tasty. It’s like eating a lemon pie! :D

Their website says that this blend is archived. :( Now I’m very sad.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Pastries

Hooray for new tea! This is the first one I tried out of the BOMC box this month, and it could not have come on a better day. I finally finished this insane project at work that had me working extra hours all last week, and the one week the bf was home too :( and it finally went out today!! Thank goodness! So tea to celebrate! And destroy this headache from my contacts lol.

Of the three teas this month, this one and the Gardens of Anxi smelled VERY good. The herbal, we will see haha it’s very minty smelling. This one is bready and Zhu Rong and citrus. It reminds me of that lovely Jolly Earl I just finished up and was sad about using up haha.

I steeped this for between 2 and 3 mins with 200 degree water. The steeped cup smells soo lemony and chocolatey at the same time..mmm! As for the flavor..yes, this does NOT disappoint! It is SO YUM RIGHT NOW. A bright tea, cheering me up with all the citusy flavor, and the Zhu Rong makes for a cozy chocolatey hug of a flavor. Like, this is seriously good. As the cup cools it goes away from EG tasting into a lemony cream taste, I am getting notes of lemon cream pie, it actually is reminiscent of my other lemon black tea, but this one is much brighter and has a way better base tea!

Overall, I am really enjoying this tonight. It has a similar pick me up feeling to the Earl of Anxi, must be all the citrus and orange peel in it. Loving this and can’t wait to try it both iced and possibly as a hot toddy :)

Oh, and Happy Belated Father’s Day!!

Flavors: Cocoa, Cream, Lemon

Dinosara

This was another of my favorites from days past! I am so mad at myself for cancelling my Verdant subscription just before this box. Glad to hear this one was really tasty!