Silver Buds Yabao

Pu-erh White Blend
Cedar, Honeydew, Marshmallow, Peach, Smooth, Spices, Sweet, Wood, Autumn Leaf Pile, Mushrooms, Pine, Brown Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by David Duckler

• “Everytime I drink this, the flavor automatically just seems SO familiar. It's a cooked breakfast cereal: Cream of wheat, or maybe steel cut oats, cooked overnight in the crockpot. There is a pool...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3007 tasting notes
  • “I have a terrible track record for this tea. I think I am under-leafing and under-steeping it because it's mostly just water. It's such a pretty tea to waste. I steeped it a second time for 10...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “I have been playing around with this tea to figure out the best way to steep it. Definitely more leaves and more time if you want a richer cup. I iced some buds a few days ago and have been french...” Read full tasting note
    lynne-tea 240 tasting notes
  • “Cold steeped over night in the French press (to keep the buds in the water) in the fridge. The result is much more profound than the hot steepings have been. There is a long, mouth sticking...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

Year: 2010

Workshop: Xingchen Workshop

Region: Xishuangbanna, Yunnan, China

Dry Leaf: Yabao is in a class of its own. Unlike any other teas, the buds are picked from ancient tea trees in middle to late winter when the bud is still tightly compacted and encased in a protective shell as it awaits spring. This particular Yabao is composed of large buds that have not begun to open yet and allowed to sun dry completely without any other processing, making this more similar to yellow or white tea than to pu’er. Still, like pu’er yabao is aged to greater complexity.

Aroma: Heady and thick smell of snickerdoodle cookies baking and a trace of pine needles.

Color: Extremely light. Almost clear.

Flavor: This unique tea has intense flavors of mulling spice. There is a floral texture and the sweetness of marshmallow. The texture becomes velvety over many steepings.

Notes: Yabao is very hard to find. It has not developed a following in China yet, making production quite low. I believe that its audience is in America, where tea drinkers are not yet set in tradition, and people are open to new things. Yabao is a perfect gateway to aged teas, because it is much more mild than conventional pu’er, while still growing in depth and complexity over time. I have a single brick of 15 year old yabao, and it is simply my absolute best tea. Age some for yourself and see what yabao has to offer.

About Verdant Tea View company

Quick tasting note for this, which i got as a sample

String players will understand this but this smells just like rosin and tastes like what rosin SHOULD taste like (don’t ask how i know it doesn’t…). I’m definitely smelling and tasting marshmallow too, but like GOOD marshmallow. It’s way sweeter than most other unsweetened teas. I didn’t understand the description of “sparkling” but now i do. It tastes almost like someone squirted perrier in there! Ahh! So strange but good

Will resteep (brewed western)

Edit: green apple flavor identified. Even though i hate green apple this is strangely yummy. This tea just plain confuses me

Dry Leaf: This tea has a spicy aroma with a faint cedar aroma I pick up.
Wet Leaf: This tea had a warm and spicy aroma didn’t pick up the cedar smell really in the wet leaf.
Liquor: It was extremely pale almost clear.
Taste: This tea to me is light with a spicy kick to it. This tea’s spiciness got lighter and lighter with each steeping but it is the spice you pick up mostly with this tea.
My Score/ Over All Opinion: 90, I personally couldn’t compare this to anything. In my humble opinion this is in a league of it’s own. I was experimenting with this tea and found a little bit of raw honey just adds that touch of sweetness and works well with this tea in my humble opinion.

A truly delicious tea! I used about 4 teaspoons with 1.5 cups of water for a medium-strong flavor, and resteeped 4 times before I had enough. There is a LOT of theanine in this tea, the sweetness of the theanine is apparent in the first few brews. The taste was slightly fruity, floral, earthy, and complex. It was not “toasty” tasting like I’ve come to expect from anything below black/puerh in the tea oxidation spectrum. This tea was very relaxing and I didn’t feel much caffeine. I’m glad to be an early adopter of this amazing tea variety.

So this is also from the Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box. I consumed this yea on Oct. 1, 2013. This tea had me on the fence, as I felt I couldn’t fully grasp the flavor. I chose this as my second tea to try because it piqued my interest.

Dry Leaf: This was an interesting leaf, as it was something I had never seen before. It was little yellow-y, white buds that had a sweet scent.

Steeped: It was light in flavor and color, there was a really subtle taste of spices, but it was very subtle. And I got kind of an earthy feel from this tea.

Again, I will have to try this tea again at some point, but it was pretty interesting.

Not my cup I am afraid… :( Like previously mentioned in the comments – the taste is weird and I cannot even classify this as tea tbh. More like herbs.

it’s weird for me something that i don’t expected..
this don’t look likes tea and don’t taste like tea…
it’s not bad… maybe a little weird for me.
i think i have to taste it another time,
now that i know what is the falvor i wait to be in the mood for taste it.

Using a gaiwan with this tea is one of the most amazing tea experiences. It starts off complicated, lots of spice, pine and wood notes with a hint of sweetness. By the end it is purely toasted marshmallow, one of the most amazing, perfect and natural progressions. The spice and pine slowly wear off and the sweetness gets more pronounced each time.

Received in a swap with BrewTEAlly Sweet forever ago!

Oh my goodness, this tea was unexpectedly delicious. I’ve never had a yabao and I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I used pre-boil water and steeped for just under 2 1/2 minutes. The tea liquor is very, very pale—almost clear. The aroma is like spice and wood. A sharp smell, but very woodsy. I’m sipping right now…it’s cedar and wood on the front end with a spicy undertone. It’s fresh and clean, like air in the forest, or on a mountainside. There’s a hint of fruitiness that’s like peach or honeydew. At the end of each sip it develops a very sweet, marshmallow flavor. It coats your mouth with syrupy sweetness and it’s SO refreshing. It really packs a wallop for such a pale, modest-looking tea. It looks like it will be going strong for a while, too…if what everyone says is correct! I’m excited. I’ll definitely be sipping on this one for the rest of the day. It’s great. (:

Flavors: Cedar, Honeydew, Marshmallow, Peach, Smooth, Spices, Sweet, Wood

Sipdown!

Did a cold steep of this last night, and OMG YUCK! I tried to drink it but ultimately tossed it out. I think this was better hot. I think it was too mushroomy for me cold steeped.

Another excuse to use the gaiwan!

So, I’m still fairly new to aged/pu’er teas, and haven’t had a lot of success with white teas in the past. The fact that this is a white tea aged like a pu’er seemed like an interesting challenge.

And oh man, this tea was weird. A good weird, but it was unlike anything I’ve tried before.

Steeping parameters: about 2 tablespoons of leaf (which was composed of big fluffy buds, almost like wheat kernels). A 4-5-oz gaiwan. 24 oz of water brought freshly off the boil and kept in a hot teapot. 6 steeps total, starting at 30s and ranging to 1 minute.

The dry leaf smelled sweet, and I could definitely get a piny, resinous smell. After I rinsed out the leaves, that fresh forest smell was even more apparent.

The first steep (30s) tasted of pine and earth, and even kind of fishy or mushroom-like. It was a nice pale yellow.

The second and subsequent steeps all took on a pale green colour, like pastel or young shoots. The last steep even took on a blue tinge, so it was almost mint or celadon in colour!

All throughout, I tasted pine and the forest – it made me think I was back in my uncle’s cottage up on the Bay of Quinte, with the leaves falling and the damp air (even though there are mostly deciduous trees, rather than coniferous). The liquor made my tongue feel fuzzy over time – it wasn’t quite astringent, but I could sense a sort of velvet fuzziness. The fourth and fifth steeps also brought in an oolong note.

Near the end of the sip, and in the drained leaves left in the gaiwan, there was a floral sweetness that I have a hard time describing. Lily, perhaps? Chrysanthemum? Not sure.

All in all, this was definitely a distinctive blend. I’m not sure if this will be a restock, but I’m happy to send samples to others who are interested. Thanks to De for giving me a generous bag of this, still sealed from Verdant.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Mushrooms, Pine

gmathis

Mmmm…the cottage sounds as yummy as the tea!

Terri HarpLady

Nice imagery!
This tea always reminds me of oatmeal, lol