Silver Buds Yabao

Pu-erh White Blend
Drying, Fruity, Grain, Hay, Hot hay, Nectar, Oats, Pine, Sweet, Wood, Butterscotch, Caramel, Cream, Frosting, Marshmallow, Plums, Vanilla, White Chocolate, Bamboo, Cardamon, Cedar, Cinnamon, Fennel, Melon, Cucumber, Honey, Honeydew, Ginger, Smooth, Spicy, Clove, Licorice, Peach, Spices, Autumn Leaf Pile, Mushrooms, Brown Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by David Duckler

• “Everytime I drink this, the flavor automatically just seems SO familiar. It’s a cooked breakfast cereal: Cream of wheat, or maybe steel cut oats, cooked overnight in the crockpot. There is a...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3230 tasting notes
  • “I have a terrible track record for this tea. I think I am under-leafing and under-steeping it because it’s mostly just water. It’s such a pretty tea to waste. I steeped it a second time...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes
  • “I have been playing around with this tea to figure out the best way to steep it. Definitely more leaves and more time if you want a richer cup. I iced some buds a few days ago and have been french...” Read full tasting note
    lynne-tea 262 tasting notes
  • “Cold steeped over night in the French press (to keep the buds in the water) in the fridge. The result is much more profound than the hot steepings have been. There is a long, mouth sticking...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 348 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

Year: 2010

Workshop: Xingchen Workshop

Region: Xishuangbanna, Yunnan, China

Dry Leaf: Yabao is in a class of its own. Unlike any other teas, the buds are picked from ancient tea trees in middle to late winter when the bud is still tightly compacted and encased in a protective shell as it awaits spring. This particular Yabao is composed of large buds that have not begun to open yet and allowed to sun dry completely without any other processing, making this more similar to yellow or white tea than to pu’er. Still, like pu’er yabao is aged to greater complexity.

Aroma: Heady and thick smell of snickerdoodle cookies baking and a trace of pine needles.

Color: Extremely light. Almost clear.

Flavor: This unique tea has intense flavors of mulling spice. There is a floral texture and the sweetness of marshmallow. The texture becomes velvety over many steepings.

Notes: Yabao is very hard to find. It has not developed a following in China yet, making production quite low. I believe that its audience is in America, where tea drinkers are not yet set in tradition, and people are open to new things. Yabao is a perfect gateway to aged teas, because it is much more mild than conventional pu’er, while still growing in depth and complexity over time. I have a single brick of 15 year old yabao, and it is simply my absolute best tea. Age some for yourself and see what yabao has to offer.

About Verdant Tea View company

Quick tasting note for this, which i got as a sample

String players will understand this but this smells just like rosin and tastes like what rosin SHOULD taste like (don’t ask how i know it doesn’t…). I’m definitely smelling and tasting marshmallow too, but like GOOD marshmallow. It’s way sweeter than most other unsweetened teas. I didn’t understand the description of “sparkling” but now i do. It tastes almost like someone squirted perrier in there! Ahh! So strange but good

Will resteep (brewed western)

Edit: green apple flavor identified. Even though i hate green apple this is strangely yummy. This tea just plain confuses me

Dry Leaf: This tea has a spicy aroma with a faint cedar aroma I pick up.
Wet Leaf: This tea had a warm and spicy aroma didn’t pick up the cedar smell really in the wet leaf.
Liquor: It was extremely pale almost clear.
Taste: This tea to me is light with a spicy kick to it. This tea’s spiciness got lighter and lighter with each steeping but it is the spice you pick up mostly with this tea.
My Score/ Over All Opinion: 90, I personally couldn’t compare this to anything. In my humble opinion this is in a league of it’s own. I was experimenting with this tea and found a little bit of raw honey just adds that touch of sweetness and works well with this tea in my humble opinion.

A truly delicious tea! I used about 4 teaspoons with 1.5 cups of water for a medium-strong flavor, and resteeped 4 times before I had enough. There is a LOT of theanine in this tea, the sweetness of the theanine is apparent in the first few brews. The taste was slightly fruity, floral, earthy, and complex. It was not “toasty” tasting like I’ve come to expect from anything below black/puerh in the tea oxidation spectrum. This tea was very relaxing and I didn’t feel much caffeine. I’m glad to be an early adopter of this amazing tea variety.

So this is also from the Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box. I consumed this yea on Oct. 1, 2013. This tea had me on the fence, as I felt I couldn’t fully grasp the flavor. I chose this as my second tea to try because it piqued my interest.

Dry Leaf: This was an interesting leaf, as it was something I had never seen before. It was little yellow-y, white buds that had a sweet scent.

Steeped: It was light in flavor and color, there was a really subtle taste of spices, but it was very subtle. And I got kind of an earthy feel from this tea.

Again, I will have to try this tea again at some point, but it was pretty interesting.

Not my cup I am afraid… :( Like previously mentioned in the comments – the taste is weird and I cannot even classify this as tea tbh. More like herbs.

it’s weird for me something that i don’t expected..
this don’t look likes tea and don’t taste like tea…
it’s not bad… maybe a little weird for me.
i think i have to taste it another time,
now that i know what is the falvor i wait to be in the mood for taste it.

Using a gaiwan with this tea is one of the most amazing tea experiences. It starts off complicated, lots of spice, pine and wood notes with a hint of sweetness. By the end it is purely toasted marshmallow, one of the most amazing, perfect and natural progressions. The spice and pine slowly wear off and the sweetness gets more pronounced each time.

I was looking through my cupboard/s trying to decide on a brew to wake me up, and this stuck out to me. I was trying to decide between this or a 2008 Bulang. This won for some reason. I could just taste the sweet liquor and it just sounded “thirst quenching”. So, into the gaiwan these little guys went. I always loved the look of Yaboa. They are so alien looking. These buds give off a strong hay and wheaty scent. I washed them once and prepared for brewing. The liquor is so clear; it’s as if I’m drinking the hot spring water. I give the steeped little buds a scent and pick up that iconic hot hay. I can hint at some fruit notes in the background and just a pleasant dryness, like steel cut oats. The liquor deepens to a slight golden, but it remains translucent. The taste is juicy! This brew instantly hits my taste buds with an oily sweetness. This is exactly what I needed to get my morning started. The nectar succulence mixes well with the light woodiness and brings my spirit up as it quenchs my thirst. I really enjoy Yabao. Every time I brew some up I recall the first time I discovered this peculiar “Puerh”. I was always fascinated by the colour of the tea. I think that is my favorite part of this brew. I was able to steep this for quite some time before I had to go to work. I love that this brew is so durable; I was able to leave in the gaiwan and still yield a sweet and smooth drink. This is a good Yabao offering, and I’m glad I rediscovered it.

Flavors: Drying, Fruity, Grain, Hay, Hot hay, Nectar, Oats, Pine, Sweet, Wood

Boiling 1 min, 45 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’ve made some progress with gongfu, and finally discovered what is meant by “sweet aftertaste”. So, I thought I’d give this one a try, and I happened to have some lying around. I remember not liking it, before. It had no flavor, but seemed to smell nice. Today, I decided to use a full 7 grams to 4 oz ratio, and a long 45 sec steep. Turns out, this helps dramatically. Spicy notes were in the aroma. But, there’s also a sweet white chocolate, and slight butterscotch note, as well. They are also very present in the taste, even though the spice notes are absent. Mouth-feel is creamy smooth. There’s also a sort of taste that reminds me of the corn meal coating around the corn dogs at the Fair. Sweet, and buttery. It’s ironic that this tasting would coincide with fair season, where I live. Although, I wasn’t even thinking about it at the time. I’m also noticing a caramel flavor, which reminds me of Autumn candy. The white chocolate part is my favorite aspect to this tea. It’s also a little bit like cake frosting. The taste is very subtle, and I would only recommend this tea to an experienced taster. It’s rather unique, and certainly adds a completely new experience to be discovered for those who appreciate such things.

Edit: Aha! I knew I recognized that sweetness… It’s definitely like Blue Agave nectar!

Flavors: Butterscotch, Caramel, Cream, Frosting, Marshmallow, Pine, Plums, Vanilla, White Chocolate

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I’ve been dating SBY for a while now and am now committed to a permanent relationship. It has taken me a while to write a review, as this charmer is quite the chameleon. The flavor profile changes dramatically over the successive steepings, as well as through the temperature changes during each steeping. Early steeps are quite spicy, becoming more fresh, sweet and subtle over time. I orders 2 packages and am aging one and drinking the other. I’ve also ordered these intriguing buds from another company for comparison. I love this enigmatic generous tea.

Flavors: Bamboo, Cardamon, Cedar, Cinnamon, Fennel, Melon