Autumn Laoshan Green

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by David Duckler

• “Time to compare the three green teas I have from Verdant, so I can work towards identifying favourites. I brewed each of the teas more or less according to the parameters on Verdant's website...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “Most folks who'll be reviewing this tea will probably do so from the perspective of evaluating Lao Shan tea as a whole. I love Lao Shan greens, and I've had so many different kinds, qualities, and...” Read full tasting note
    Spoonvonstup 59 tasting notes
  • “This is for the 2012 harvest. I noticed there isn't a separate tea log for the new harvest, so I'm just adding it here. I brewed this in my 12oz mug. It brews several times, I start with short...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes
  • “I have only skimmed the tasting notes on this one as I am not feeling well. This is my comfort tea for today. I did notice in my skimming of the notes that many people seem to turn to this tea in...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

The aroma of the tea is intensely chocolatey, but like raw cacao nibs, not finished chocolate candy. The early steepings are crisp and subtle, with some of the mouthfeel of a smooth matcha. This tea has grass notes to it, but they are soft and tempered by a warm earthiness. The green bean flavor we have come to love in our Laoshan greens makes a later entrance, and ties together all the complexity.

About Verdant Tea View company

Thank you to Invader Zim for this wonderful sample (and and many others;)

This is the first Laoshan green I have ever had!! It was very good with light whisperings of seaweed/grass notes and a frothy mouth feel that were never intrusive and quite pleasant even though I don’t light vegetal tastes!! It seems to be a recurring theme that “Verdant” has the best teas in the business,..I have not had a tea from them yet that I do not like or hasn’t become the standard in which I view/brew all teas!! Amazing company..Amazing tea!!!! ;-)

Invader Zim

Verdant’s Laoshan green is one of my all-time favorite teas. The summer version is my favorite of the seasonal variety.

Right brewing temperature is very important here. So far, I getting more and more fond of this tea. But I am also learning how to get best out of it. Will write more later.

Spoonvonstup

What other Lao Shan teas have you been trying?

Spoonvonstup

Aw, now that comment about other Lao Shan teas is gone. :( It’s one of my favorite styles of green, so if you’ve found another vendor, I’d love to hear about it. Or have you been trying the Summer picking from Verdant? That one is quite strong and buttery and beany, so I can see how this might not seem as strong. Personally, the autumn feels more complex, but if you’re looking for that classic “yo ho ho.. I’m a beany Lao Shan green!” flavor, you’re right that this one is not as strong in that.

How did you steep this one? I ike making Lao Shan’s in a glass. Do you make this and your other LaoShan teas in a gaiwan or a big pot?

Tea Pantheon

I used lower temperature and a zhuni pot. It made an instant difference. I would say that brewing should not be longer than 30 seconds ( first time ) and the temperature 170 is the most optimal. It brings forth a very beautiful baked pear scent.

The first steep (1m) of this tea is sweet, much more-so than any other green tea I’ve had in the past. It is followed up with a creamy texture and flavor that sets it apart from other green teas. This texture is very similar to the one I notice last week with Verdant’s Yunnan White Jasmine. It isn’t a texture I generally associate with green tea.

The Second steep (1m30s) picks up a bit of astringency, but not enough to distract from the flavor. This steep has lost the sweetness of the first steep and moved towards the vegetal flavor I normally associate with green teas. This was more like what I had expected out of the previous steep, but I like that it maintains some of the creamy texture.

Third steep (2m) has lost the astringency of the previous steep and the flavors are much more subtle. I don’t believe the leaves will provide a fourth steep when brewed western style and this is a little disappointing.

The second steep of this was so much better because I only steeped for less than a minute! Buttery, green, yummy goodness!

This is the first green tea that I have ever tried that didn’t come from a vending machine. I hope I haven’t ruined myself for every other green! This is amazingly complex and bursting with flavor, it really opened my mind to what loose leaf tea is about. This is my first review (and first green) so I will save a rating score until I have a bit more experience and have something to compare it too.

The second infusion, western style, was like a bowl of perfectly seasoned boiled greens from my childhood in southern GA! I know that may not be everyone’s thing and sorry to David for the description as my ignorant palate isn’t picking up on all of the flavors that I’m sure are there! This is definitely one that I won’t mind honing my taste buds with! Well done Verdant!

EDIT After trying several others and gaining even just a small amount of perspective, it doesn’t seem fair to Verdant not to rate this one as it really is worth your consideration!

Bonnie

I am afraid you are ruined indeed!

Water: 8oz at 175 degrees

Leaves: Tiny deep green strands

Steep: 1m & 3s,6s,9s,12s,15s,18s

Aroma: Grassy

Color: Greenish yellow changes w/more infusions

Taste: This is my first Verdant Tea I did their 5 teas for 5$ special. I tend to favor green teas more so i choose this one to start with.Right away what stood out was the aroma very nice something you wouldn’t mind smelling again.I brewed this tea using a couple of different methods both Western and Gongfu.I noticed that with the Gongfu method you get many more infusions.With both methods I noticed a hint of bitterness when drinking.

Bonnie

For gongfu 3,3,3,6,9,12 is recommended and maybe the bitterness might have been less.

Alreot

thanks,I’m going to give it a try brewing that way.

From now on, when someone is going to ask me when I discovered tea, I’m not going to tell them about the first time I had a cup of Silver Needle or a smooth Oolong or even when I walked into Teavana and started asking questions and walked out feeling like I had reinvented myself and started walking down a new path in life. No, it won’t be any of those.

I’ll tell them that I discovered what tea truly is on the day I opened my pouch of my 2012 Autumn Laoshan Green and inhaled the aroma. That was the moment I realized what tea can be, what I had been missing out on, when everything I thought I knew about what tea was shifted. That was the day everything changed.

If that sounds intense, that’s because it is. I’ve never had an experience like I did when I saw the handwritten note from David, thanking me for my order, making a personal connection that I didn’t expect. Not when I smelled the dry leaves, when I caught a whiff of the leaves steeping, when I saw the most delicate, beautiful liquor the color of the first stages of oxidized apple flesh, like a fading memory you don’t want to forget. I’ve never seen a color like that.

The leaves smell like dark chocolate and earth. There’s a bright sugary smell mixed with pumpkin and cedar. Its sweet but heavy but delicate. It smells like a contradiction that makes sense.

The wet leaves emit farm fields. Not dry dirt and twigs, like I smelled in my first Pu-erh, but real soil, actual dark earth, musty and deep and gorgeous. Its like I could smell the farm where this was growing. I’ve never been transported somewhere I’ve never been through my sense of smell. My memories have been triggered by shampoo or perfume that makes my heart hurt for the ones I’ve loved and lost but (and this is going to sound crazy but I don’t care) I had this image of somewhere that probably doesn’t exist of a tea farm, of hands picking the leaves off the plant. There was a connection, a transcendant experience that I thought was just a figure of speech (“the smell whisked me away to…”) that I’ve never had. It was like I was on drugs for a moment.

The sip. Its buttery smooth, butterscotch, cool melon, honey, pear, faint vanilla, warm cedar, calm spinach and fresh leaf. Its milky and smooth and light and my god I don’t deserve this. I can’t believe I have this. This is what tea is.

I needed this. I’ve been tearing myself up over her and why she won’t catch on and see that I’m worth it. I keep telling myself that “all I need are books and tea…and someone to share them with me” and I want to believe that its her.

Anyway, this tea couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. I found new bands (“Green or Blue” and “City and Colour”) that are helping me through this, the leaves are melting their colors down the trees, and I finally got my diploma in the mail, making my second Masters officially irrelevant ;)

This is the tea that allowed me to redefine what tea is to myself. Thank you David and everyone at Verdant. You’ve got a customer for life.

Bonnie

I loved your review. You would probably love the Immortal Springs Laoshan White and Silver Buds Yabao Puer if I’ve read your notes on loving White Tea correctly.
You might also want to dive into the highly praised Laoshan Black also from Verdant.
I’m looking forward to more of your interesting reviews.

What a good green tea this is! It is vegetal, grassy and has a lovely texture. I didn’t pick up the chocolate notes that others did, but maybe I’ll catch them next time around. Regardless, this is one of my new favorites (^.^)

Yum! Just like a bowl of oatmeal I just had this morning,sprinkle in some nuts, maybe a touch of smokiness, and some veggies. What’s not to love? What’s so great about this that it has some resemblance to gunpowder and maybe Dragonwell because of the vegetal character that gave it depth. A really smooth tea, with very little astringency till later infusions,a creamy and masterful art of fine leaves. A quintessential tea to be enjoyed in multiple succession with a gaiwan and love for the all things simple.

This is a marvelous green tea with a rich nutty broth with a slightly sweet vegetal taste. There is a bit of tingle on the tongue but no astringency and only the slightest edge of bitter but so slight that it elevates rather than decreases the quality of the tea. I am beginning to believe that there is nothing that Verdant Tea sells that I don’t like.