Diyi Cornfields Shu

Pu-erh Tea
Butter, Corn Husk, Rice
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 oz / 104 ml

From Verdant Tea

True to the smell, this tea really does taste like corn, but with an impressive complexity. The spearmint comes through as a tingling sensation, more of a a minty texture than anything else. Despite the sweet corn flavor, the tea is weightless on the palate and almost refreshing like an iced drink. This pu’er does not have the heavy earthy qualities that shu is known for, making it a great introduction to pu’er. An extremely intriguing find!

About Verdant Tea View company

I brought these with me to Ottawa as well, since they do well with “gonfu” in a basket. I figure i can drink this every day as my afternoon working tea and have another tea sipped down by the time i get home, or shortly after :) This isn’t my favourite sticky rice sort of tuo but it’s a nice one and makes for a pleasant cup on this rainy day.

Interesting- I will be visiting Ottawa in October for my sister in Law’s wedding. Any recommendations for tea shops?

There aren’t a lot out here that i’m aware of. I haven’t been to “Tea Store.” World of tea is nice if you’re looking for straight teas. Shanti tea has had some nice teas that i’ve tried – you can place and order and pick up from their location in Ottawa, but i don’t think? you can just go in and buy from them here..that being said, someone’s asked that question on their FB page and it looks like they’ve never answered…any of their FB posts.

If by “The Tea Store” you mean the one in Byward Market, I was there in February, and it was kind of meh. From what I remember, most of their loose-leaf tea was Metropolitan blends, plus there was the usual assortment of “funky yet still non-threateningly mainstream” teaware.

There’s still World of Tea,

Ignore the above, very tired. There is also cha yi in gatineau

2029 tasting notes

Ohhhhh this is good!

Smells like toasted basmati rice. Tastes like toasted basmati rice.

Om nom nom (I think I’m going to go put on a pot of rice to cook!).

(Flash steeping 3g in my teensy gaiwan that I haven’t measured yet.)

Edit: It started with a garnet hue, like pineapple pomegranate juice or wine, almost. It’s steeping out and is more of an amber colour now. So pretty. So tasty. I must be on steep 8 or 9.

i seriously need to just spend a week with only my puerhs

Yes. Me too. :D Tea-cation. I’m just puttering in the kitchen (also I have to vacuum) and making cup after cup of this… Mmm…….

Mmmmmm this sounds amazing

i did not like it. just swapped 2 oz.

have you tried rice mini tuo from Tao Tea Leaf? I like them both, shou maybe teensy better. but sheng is quite good too. not dusty, leaves are pretty good

I’ve only tried one rice tuo and I don’t remember where it’s from. I dont even know if it was ripe or raw.

A clean non-funky shou with a good rice flavor. I’m not detecting any corn. Not bad but has not replaced a different rice shou as my favorite! :)

which is your favourite?

So far the Teavivre, which is loose and in a sachet which normally would be off putting to me. The others I have tried are various other vendors nest shape mini tuos which are all not bad.

My fav is Tao Tea Leaf

Have you had the Teavivre yet Boychick? If not I’ll set one aside for you :)

Sil, do you have a favorite?

Note – this was originally posted in the wrong spot. Verdant had another version of a cornfields shou in a bird nest shape. I deleted that and moved it here, to the correct place.

I’m a little bummed. All the reviews on this are amazeballs, but I really didn’t care for it. I don’t know that I got the same thing as previous stock. The pic shows little bird nests, but mine are a flat disc and the wrapper is different. The little discs were very tightly compacted and had a pretty heavy fermentation flavor.

I did a rinse and rest to let the cake expand, and I used very short steeps. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 OZ / 88 ML

No surprise, this is pretty darn yummy. In all honesty I don’t get much of a difference between this and sticky rice flavored shou. This is a bit silkier and more creamy, and it seems to be a much better quality with no dust in the cup like I often get with the cheapie mini tuos. But the flavor is pretty much the same. That’s fine by me as I absolutely love sticky rice flavor. I’m currently on the fourth steep and the flavor is still noticeable. Obviously not as strong but you certainly aren’t under the impression you’re drinking straight shu.

Any chance of a sheng version in the future? I bet it would be quite incredible.

Boiling with 2 quick rinses – 10s 10s (left overnight and rinsed again) 15s 15s 20s…

Seems this is my 150th review!

Flavors: Butter, Corn Husk, Rice

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 OZ / 120 ML

That’s it, I have to order some!!!

Yes, definitely do. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

I don’t usually find Puerh appealing, well like when I read peoples’ tasting notes. But this sounds so good! XD

It’s very good. Have you had regular sticky rice pu-erh?