Holy Basil Spa Blend

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jessie

• “Tonight, one of the 5 tea's that granddaughter Schey and I tasted was this alchemy blend. I knew that Schey is fond of mint so I saved it for a cool 4th tea tasting right before the finale 5th tea...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “Woke up way earlier than was my plan. I decided I wanted something warm to drink, but with the hope of going back to sleep I chose this over caffeinated tea. This is one of my favorite herbals. I...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 698 tasting notes
  • “Wow this was great!! Thanks so much to *Azzrian* for the sample! I love non-traditional spicy teas and this really fits the bill. Parsley tea(my first herb tea), and now basil! what's next?...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1300 tasting notes
  • “This a tasty and lovely herbal blend from Verdant tea. If you read my tealog, you may know I am a fan of tulsi but some blends are better than others, of course. The peppermint and the spearmint...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2355 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This blend was born out of a special collaboration between Verdant Tea and local yoga practitioners with the goal of creating a tea to help yoga studio clients leave the weight of the world behind them and prime them for the focusing experience of yoga. With the cleansing and sweet upper notes of peppermint and spearmint, the lingering spice and thickness of Holy Basil and a base of solid burdock, this blend has been a great success. This tea rises to the challenge of being both comforting and cleansing, making it a popular flu season go-to. The Holy Basil Spa Blend is also great iced, or brewed up as a concentrated shot to mix with sparkling water and a touch of honey.

Ingredients: Peppermint, Spearmint, Holy Basil, Fennel, Burdock Root, Ginger, Licorice Root

About Verdant Tea View company

1.5 tablespoons for 375 ml of water

Lemony note. Delightful mint taste. Great flavour combination. Hot wax-burning candle aroma in the taste.

Personally, I would prefer a stronger licorice flavour.

Thanks to Indigobloom for sharing this with me!

Indigobloom

Glad you liked it!! :)

It’s very refreshing. Although I don’t like the basil much. I love it when the spearmint takes over :D It’s great for workouts!

Iced

Getting back into tea now. I took a month off to do more juicing. I’m surprised that I have not written a review of this herbal. Love it!
So refreshing and light. Has my favorite tea herbs which are peppermint and licorice. Can not go wrong with this.

Enjoying this one after ramen. I have only had tusli in one other blend which was a rooibos chai so I was expecting something akin to cinnamon, but was greeted with wonderful fresh in your face mint upon opening the pouch. Brewed, this a very nicely balanced cup, I love the touch of fennel and I think I’m beginning to figure out what tusli might taste like by tapping into my sensory memories and doing a comparison. Regardless it is lovely and refreshing and reminds me a bit of chewing gum but without the pain on the jaw and the addition of a nice centering feeling traveling down the body. Good stuff this. I don’t really like rating herbals though, its delicious for what it is but I have a hard time rating it higher than a straight tea I really enjoyed.

Oh, I adore getting Verdant’s blends in the tea of the month package. They are always so much fun to try.

This is the second one I’ve been quite frightened of, however. I haven’t had good experiences with the holy basil I’ve tried, and I’m not a huge supporter of minty teas. And this is quite minty and spicy. But, I think I’m coming around to the mint. I thoroughly enjoyed this! It was very minty, but had enough body that it wasn’t biting. It was sweet and earthy. I actually didn’t detect the licorice root, so it was pretty harmoniously blended with the other flavours. It was really remarkably refreshing, and the suggestion of mixing it with sparking water sounds mighty fine, maybe with some cucumber.

Dear Verdant Tea,
I know you are experts at what you do and have all manner of precise equipment for measuring your product in grams. However, this uncultured buffoon uses measuring spoons and has better things to do than go to your website to look up “detailed instructions,” I really think it would be better to put the more mainstream measures for average folk on the package and direct the more dedicated connoisseurs to your website for the specialized information, rather than torment poor common slobs like myself with the sort of fru fru methods meant for gourmet kitchens and mad scientist labs.
— Rant over.

“To hell with it,” I muttered and measured a tablespoon into a quart mason jar, filled said jar with water and stuck it in the fridge.

My first observation upon tasting this tea some hours later is that pouring this through a sieve is insufficient to filter out all the little bits of herb. It really needs to be strained through a coffee filter. Fortunately, I keep those around.

The resulting brew tasted wild and weedy but oddly savory as well. Kind of basil-y and mint-y. It was certainly a change from the sweet floral and fruit blends I’m used to and most unusual.

Maybe too unusual. I like basil in a number of foods but not so sure I like it in my teacup. Maybe I’m just not thinking outside the box very well…or maybe this just isn’t that great. It’s not bad….It’s just not that good. I have one more measure left and will likely have a sip down in the near future. I’ll drink it, mostly because it’s there and I don’t like to waste things. Can’t get very excited about this one though. I’m just not feeling the love.

Of course, it’s a Spa Blend, which suggests it’s therapeutic in some way. I don’t guess medicine is supposed to be tasty. But it’s probably good for you. Hey, let’s get Mikey to try it…

gmathis

That made me laugh! Score one for the common kitchen schlub with nothing but teaspoons and Mason jars!

gmathis

Tulsi is an acquired taste. You might like it blended with something to tone down the sharpness. Chamomile is a good foil for it. Or lavender.

ashmanra

I like it with lavender, but I didn’t mind it plain, actually!

Terri HarpLady

Not one I really cared much for either, although I like the taste of Burdock root. I’m not much of a fan of Tulsi (holy basil) or mints in tea.

MsWhatsit

I may try it with lavender, or I may experiment with it in my gaiwan, now that I have one. Haven’t really decided yet. It’s in the back of the cue so I won’t be encountering it again for awhile.

Love this herbal, reminds me a bit of the bagged Stash White Christmas I use as a cheap and easy comfort whenever I get a cold, but of course better, fresher (much less gingery too, which means I still need my White Christmas for those sick days!). I’m thinking more and more it’s probably worth it to stock up on Ginger Sage Winter Spa Blend and this one for the looming cold and flu season (I can feel my throat and lungs getting a bit ehhh in the cooling but still humid Memphis weather—people have been known to still get tuberculosis here!—and we’re flying next weekend and something about air travel in the cold months has historically always signaled disaster for my immune system). And for when I feel better, the site mention of making a concentrated shot of this to add to things like honeyed club soda or gin and tonics sounds appealing indeed.

Finished another bag full of this wonderful blend earlier this week. We were having some really warm days, so I even tried it iced, from a concentrated brew, with a splash of agave and sparkling water as Verdant Tea recommended. Minty, spicy, and stimulating. A really fine herbal brew that I have enjoyed over and over again. The burdock they use in this blend is unlike any I have ever tasted, and it really brings together all the flavors. Thanks again Verdant Tea for such a nice herbal blend.

I wasn’t overly fond of this one. Not sure if it was my mood or the blend, so leaving off the rating until I try again.

Holy cow this is yummy! Complex, sweet, basil, mint, chocolate, cream, cinnamon, spice, licorice, caramel there’s even honeydew melon at the finish. I normally don’t care a lot for spices in my tea, but this one is amazing.