Mi Lan Xiang Phoenix Mountain Dancong

Oolong Tea
Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Roasted, Fruit Tree Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Bonnie

• “I've been drinking a lot of Verdant teas lately lol, sorry for not much variety in the way of companies :P anyways, I decided it's time to have a yixing session again..it's been much too long. I...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 946 tasting notes
  • “yep..still don't like this one. Oh well, not a problem since there are plenty out there that i do. there's just something about the taste to this one that makes me like this a lot less than other...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5079 tasting notes
  • “This is the 2nd tea from the April TOMC. The dry aroma is a light incense, the warm aroma is of red grapefruit & sandalwood. It's very addictive. I sat breathing it in, & I love it. The first time...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3010 tasting notes
  • “I redid this one using my new yixing I dedicated it to (not the bad one I just got and found out was a fake). I know it's still absorbing a lot of the flavor but I wanted to see how much different...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

A heady, intoxicating oolong that evokes sandalwood incense, honeydew melon, and dark, rich spice . . .

Mi Lan Xiang, literally “Honey Orchid Fragrance” is a real understatement for this tea. The aroma is absolutely heady and enveloping, like walking into a temple burning sandalwood incense with lotus flowers strewn about, and a faint whiff of pine sap and honeydew melon.

The taste does not disappoint after such a commanding fragrance. There is the dark gentle spice of clove, a building floral taste like a blooming lotus, and the bursting juicy sweetness of biting into a piece of homemade honey candy.

In the second steeping, citrus qualities begin to develop, dominated by a ruby red grapefruit flavor. There is a profound warming sensation to the brew, complimented by dark maple syrup.

Later steepings see the darker elements integrate seamlessly with a growing spice profile, and even hint at the honeydew melon taste through a continuing burting juicy sweetness. The aftertaste on this tea is a lingering comforting warmth, with all the dark floral elements at the back of the throat.

About Verdant Tea View company

Excuisite, well rounded Dan Cong.
Brews a damn good cup of tea. Using traditionally short infusion times, it yields a subtle-flavored, sublimely fragrant brew.
Long lasting, multi faceted fragrance of what you would imagine
fairy tale grade floral honey to smell like.

I generally drink unsweetened tea. However, I tried this one with a little agave nectar with great results. Agave is gentle on the flavor while adding body to the tea. It brings out the flavors well, enhancing the nectar-like aspect of this oolong.

Asaf Mazar

edit: regarding the agave- only works with the light colored mild type. some agave nectars have too much flavor of their own.

Wow my cupboard is getting full of tea of the month. I guess I slow a bit when it gets warm outside. I decided to dig in for unique Oolong.
The dry leaf of this tea looks very delicate. Long, thin, dried ribbons between one inch and two inch in length. The dry nose is of driftwood, light apple chips, and a little muscatel.
I started with a quick rinse then got into the first steep:
1st (5 sec.): Wet leaf has strong dark roasty notes with a hint of citrus piff. I first notice the super creamy mouth-feel with flavors of light spice. It is also very bright and lively.
2nd (5 sec.): This brew is twice as dark as the previous as the leaves begin to open more. Much more fruity and bright. Grapefruit rind and light roast come through heavier with vegital tones in the middle. A tropical flavor rests on your tongue for a good couple minutes after your sip.
3rd (5 sec.): The roast is falling to the back with vegital holding strong. I am starting get a sweetness coming through, reminiscent of honey. Color has lightened from previous.
4th (8 sec.): Almost all the dark roast in the beginning is gone. Even the vegital is diminishing. Still holding a heavy mouth-feel and light sweetness.
Overall a very nice tea. The tea is beautiful to look at, and looks like there was much care taken while processing. Flavors are pleasing, but wish they hung around for a few more steering’s. I was hoping that the tropical note from the second steep would have stayed and built a little more. Would definitely recommend.

Oops never rated nor wrote any notes on this one yet. When I brew this at home it is a very nice oolong and I would definitely love to have it around the house…however compared to the other oolong/black teas from Verdant I have (or the other types of oolongs I have), this one doesn’t brew well when I take it in my travel mug to work :(
I tried it today and ended up drinking it bitter…for this reason only, I am giving it a slightly lower rating. It is not as versatile for my needs as some other oolongs I have in stock.

So clearly something is wrong with my sense of taste. I am not getting all these complex flavors as are the rest of you. This tea was part of my Verdant sampler and I have been putting off trying it because I am afraid of another floral oolong. The others in the sampler were certainly floral. I finally braved it. The most complexity I got at any point working with this tea was from the dry leaves. They have a very strong scent, riddled with flower and smells of the forest. The first two infusions were extremely delicate to me. I could pick up a faint floral aroma if I had my nose right to it, but there was very little flavor (I guess my taste buds are broken!). I have stated before that I am not terribly fond of florals, but I am slowly learning to tolerate them, at least. I don’t so much mind a floral aroma (and at times I can even appreciate it) so long as the flavor brings more variety and depth. I came to my computer to read other reviews about this tea and out of rash frustration, I decided to force something more from this one. I let the leaves stew several minutes (un-timed) in my Gaiwan. Well, that was a mistake. It didn’t taste like a flower, or honey, or fruit or anything palatable. I created a super bitter cup that I promptly poured out.

While I could take the time to figure this tea out, I don’t feel much up to it. I have too many other teas that get along with me just fine without much ado.

Used my Gaiwan for this one. Did a rinse then steeped for 30 seconds.
The liquor is very perfumed with citrus flowers which smell fantastic. I have a Meyer Lemon tree and other citrus trees in my garden and the hummingbirds go crazy during citrus blooming season.
Oh wow!! I do taste grapefruit. Far out!! This is a very cleansing tea with some unusual flavors!!
Thank u to Terri Harplady for spoiling me with lovely samples!

Flavors: Fruit Tree Flowers

Sipdown! (114)

This was a sample from Stephanie, also known as “Lover of Dancongs”. I’ve been trying to get some more experience with these teas, so I requested this one in our recent swap. The leaves are beautiful – they’re very long and straight, and tightly twisted. Very dark in color. I asked Stephanie for her Western-style brewing parameters and I ended up doing 190 degree for 5 minutes.

Brewed aroma is very strongly apricot. And it’s a rather tart-smelling apricot! Yum. There’s also the ubiquitous roastiness and a bit of floral. Whoa, the taste! Very strong due to the long steep, and the stonefruit flavor is very strong and lovely. There’s also a darker dried fruit flavor, maybe prune or raisin. It’s roasty and there’s a bit of autumn leaf, but it’s in the background which is unusual in my experience. My only issue with this tea is that the floral element is fairly strong, and it almost borders on being soapy near the end. And that kind of prevents me from wanting to drink this again. Curse you, floral! Not rating because of the bias, lul. :D

Flavors: Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Roasted

Stephanie

I love that stone fruity aspect of it :)

I’ve chosen this tea for my first tasting note on here. This tea is fantastic. I have enjoyed both western and gong fu with great results both times. The first time I drank it my girlfriend and I actually started laughing it tasted so good. This is always a good sign!

From this tea I have gotten throughout the steeping process the much lauded sandelwood notes as well as stone fruit, grapefruit, and floral notes with some slight minerality popping its head up. Delicious tea.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

this was a lovely sample shared with me by my dear friend Xylona as we tried t get down to studying (still haven’t accomplished that yet!). there was a remote familiarity in the taste of this one. what was it? it was going to drive me mad!

then i had it. for me this tea has smooth overtones of roasted plantains. not just a little either. once i identified the note it became overwhelmingly clear, also charmingly engaging. this is a lovely oolong.

bit of turbinado, otherwise clear. thank you Xylona for sharing!!

Cameron B.

Xylona is such an epic name! :P And I want plantain tea!

JustJames

well, Xylona is a pretty epic friend =0) and the roasted plantain is just so nice in this one! absolutely lovely. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Cameron B.

I need to place a Verdant order soon before they run out of Minnesota Blend, so I’ll definitely pick up a sample of this and some others. :D

mj

Mmmm, love plantains! I might need to pick some of this up the next time I’m at Verdant :)

JustJames

lol…. quite outstanding. =0)

Terri HarpLady

This one always tastes like grapefruit to me :)

yyz

Haven’t had plantain in a long time. Though in Ecuador I loved the pan fried ones. In general we were more likely to have roasted green bananas ( Verde vs Amarillo) than roasted plantain.

I just saw this recipe for green banana soup. That’s definitely something I haven’t tried before.

JustJames

isn’t individual interpretation remarkable! grapefruit is not a flavour is have detected!

i adore african roasted plantains… the deep roasted not-yam not-fruit deep, round essence of plantain. i find that in this oolong. =0) a caramelized essence…. =0)

TheTeaFairy

You’re so right james, how different we taste. This is what I wrote in my review :

«Have you ever grilled Ruby Red grapefruits on the BBQ?» Totally grapefruit for me, just like Terri, but also caramelized like you ;-)

I wish I had found plantain, will look for it and keep it in mind next time I drink it :-)

Another new tea from the recent order. The dry leaves were spindly and didn’t smell like much, but as my previous experience with the Yu Lu Yan Cha suggested, the dry aroma of this batch of spring teas gives no indication of what they are like.

The rinse gave off a sudden burst of strong aroma reminding me of tropical fruit, in particular green guava. I hadn’t paid much attention to anything happening in rinses in the past, but this had me intrigued. (I didn’t drink it…)

First steep had a pink champagne color, and a rich, fruity-sweet fragrance. The taste was definitely honey. Nothing subtle about it, this was so sweet it could make your teeth hurt, and syrupy smooth. There was also a hint of grapefruit and a slight breadiness.

Second steep was a darker amber, and completely different in flavor and aroma. This was much less fruity, with almost no hint of honey, the sweetness fading to the background as an afterthought (or rather an anti-bitterness). The notes are predominantly incense (though in my opinion not exactly sandalwood), spice and floral. It becomes a darker and much more complex cup.

It’s getting quite late so I will play with this more some other time…sleep is more important.

This is mighty good.

I’m inaugurating a new bright yellow and blue Gaiwan, I love it!

I don’t drink Dancong as much as I should. I like them only Gongfu style. They are so full of nuances and surprises, I find it all gets lost in a large cup.

This one is super fruity. Roasted bittersweet citrus notes are the stars here, at least during the first 3 steeps.

Have you ever grilled Ruby Red grapefruits on the BBQ? You caramelize them slowly and brush them with honey. They get sweeter, but they remain bitter at the same time. This is what is tastes like.

The taste lingers and lingers…

Then it gets more roasty and woodsy, I get incense and sandalwood notes, that’s even more present in the scent than in the taste itself. It also becomes spicier and richer, but the finish is a nice floral. Told you it was full of surprises!

It also gets sweeter, my lips tastes like honey after each sips…(it’s not my lip gloss, not wearing any!)

I made up my mind, this is the dark oolong I’m choosing to season one of my yixing pots this week end…

It is totally worthy!

boychik

Nice! Have fun with seasoning!

Marzipan

This sounds lovely.

Mmmmm Dancong my fave

Cheri

This sounds good…as does the grapefruit on the grill. Just honey? Direct or indirect heat?

TheTeaFairy

Thanks boychik, I’m sure it’ll be fun :-)

The tea is really good, and it steeps forever!!

TheTeaFairy

Cheri, I cut them in half, and brush them with just a little coconut oil, then I put them face down on the grill, indirect heat. When they are well caramelized, I glaze them with honey face up otherwise it would stick all over your grill. It’s a quick dessert when you have people over during summer and it makes you look really smart even though it’s so easy! I serve them now with Terri’s coconut whipped cream instead of vanilla ice cream. yum, I think I’m gonna make some now, lol!

Cheri

TTF, that sounds amazing and pretty easy. Thanks!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, and the same with pineapples, also delish!!

Sarsonator

I need some pics of this new gaiwan :)

Terri HarpLady

Beautiful description, & so spot on! I need to have a session with this tea, it’s been awhile.

I almost made coconut whip cream today. I picked blackberries, & really wanted to use my almond flour pancake recipe to make little shortcakes, with the berries & whipped cream, but I didn’t really have time to do all that, so I ended up just eating them instead.

TheTeaFairy

Thanks Terri..and that cream is so NOM!!! My CocoTerriWhip :-)

Haha! Here it is just for you Sarsonator…

Sarsonator

Lovely!!!! It’s so pretty!

Stephanie

I would like to add that I discovered grilled watermelon this year and it is fabulous as well. Especially if you use it in a caprese salad with mozzarella basil and a little balsamic omg!!

mrmopar

Grilled peaches sprinkled with brown sugar and apples the same way are nice too.

MzPriss

And figs! Grilled figs – also with the coconut whip or with vanilla ice cream.

New gaiwan??? Oh! Pretty! It’s other Mandala one besides the pink one right? I oogled it too :)

I have some of this tea too. Maybe tomorrow morning. I had kind if forgotten about it.

TheTeaFairy

Lol, i love how these threads turn into food fest! Great suggestions everyone :-)

mzPriss, I came so close to buy the pink one!

Beautiful Gaiwan!
Grilled watermelon…never even considered that! I have several sugar babies in my garden, so I might have to give it a try, although I can’t have the mozzarella, but I have some kickass balsamic!

yyz

Stephanie, that sounds amazing.