Mi Lan Xiang Phoenix Mountain Dancong

Oolong Tea
Apricot, Burnt Sugar, Dark Bittersweet, Honeysuckle, Marshmallow, Honey, Grapefruit, Autumn Leaf Pile, Dried Fruit, Floral, Roasted, Fruit Tree Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Bonnie

From Verdant Tea

A heady, intoxicating oolong that evokes sandalwood incense, honeydew melon, and dark, rich spice . . .

Mi Lan Xiang, literally “Honey Orchid Fragrance” is a real understatement for this tea. The aroma is absolutely heady and enveloping, like walking into a temple burning sandalwood incense with lotus flowers strewn about, and a faint whiff of pine sap and honeydew melon.

The taste does not disappoint after such a commanding fragrance. There is the dark gentle spice of clove, a building floral taste like a blooming lotus, and the bursting juicy sweetness of biting into a piece of homemade honey candy.

In the second steeping, citrus qualities begin to develop, dominated by a ruby red grapefruit flavor. There is a profound warming sensation to the brew, complimented by dark maple syrup.

Later steepings see the darker elements integrate seamlessly with a growing spice profile, and even hint at the honeydew melon taste through a continuing burting juicy sweetness. The aftertaste on this tea is a lingering comforting warmth, with all the dark floral elements at the back of the throat.

About Verdant Tea View company

Excuisite, well rounded Dan Cong.
Brews a damn good cup of tea. Using traditionally short infusion times, it yields a subtle-flavored, sublimely fragrant brew.
Long lasting, multi faceted fragrance of what you would imagine
fairy tale grade floral honey to smell like.

I generally drink unsweetened tea. However, I tried this one with a little agave nectar with great results. Agave is gentle on the flavor while adding body to the tea. It brings out the flavors well, enhancing the nectar-like aspect of this oolong.

Asaf Mazar

edit: regarding the agave- only works with the light colored mild type. some agave nectars have too much flavor of their own.

Wow my cupboard is getting full of tea of the month. I guess I slow a bit when it gets warm outside. I decided to dig in for unique Oolong.
The dry leaf of this tea looks very delicate. Long, thin, dried ribbons between one inch and two inch in length. The dry nose is of driftwood, light apple chips, and a little muscatel.
I started with a quick rinse then got into the first steep:
1st (5 sec.): Wet leaf has strong dark roasty notes with a hint of citrus piff. I first notice the super creamy mouth-feel with flavors of light spice. It is also very bright and lively.
2nd (5 sec.): This brew is twice as dark as the previous as the leaves begin to open more. Much more fruity and bright. Grapefruit rind and light roast come through heavier with vegital tones in the middle. A tropical flavor rests on your tongue for a good couple minutes after your sip.
3rd (5 sec.): The roast is falling to the back with vegital holding strong. I am starting get a sweetness coming through, reminiscent of honey. Color has lightened from previous.
4th (8 sec.): Almost all the dark roast in the beginning is gone. Even the vegital is diminishing. Still holding a heavy mouth-feel and light sweetness.
Overall a very nice tea. The tea is beautiful to look at, and looks like there was much care taken while processing. Flavors are pleasing, but wish they hung around for a few more steering’s. I was hoping that the tropical note from the second steep would have stayed and built a little more. Would definitely recommend.

Oops never rated nor wrote any notes on this one yet. When I brew this at home it is a very nice oolong and I would definitely love to have it around the house…however compared to the other oolong/black teas from Verdant I have (or the other types of oolongs I have), this one doesn’t brew well when I take it in my travel mug to work :(
I tried it today and ended up drinking it bitter…for this reason only, I am giving it a slightly lower rating. It is not as versatile for my needs as some other oolongs I have in stock.

So clearly something is wrong with my sense of taste. I am not getting all these complex flavors as are the rest of you. This tea was part of my Verdant sampler and I have been putting off trying it because I am afraid of another floral oolong. The others in the sampler were certainly floral. I finally braved it. The most complexity I got at any point working with this tea was from the dry leaves. They have a very strong scent, riddled with flower and smells of the forest. The first two infusions were extremely delicate to me. I could pick up a faint floral aroma if I had my nose right to it, but there was very little flavor (I guess my taste buds are broken!). I have stated before that I am not terribly fond of florals, but I am slowly learning to tolerate them, at least. I don’t so much mind a floral aroma (and at times I can even appreciate it) so long as the flavor brings more variety and depth. I came to my computer to read other reviews about this tea and out of rash frustration, I decided to force something more from this one. I let the leaves stew several minutes (un-timed) in my Gaiwan. Well, that was a mistake. It didn’t taste like a flower, or honey, or fruit or anything palatable. I created a super bitter cup that I promptly poured out.

While I could take the time to figure this tea out, I don’t feel much up to it. I have too many other teas that get along with me just fine without much ado.

Used my Gaiwan for this one. Did a rinse then steeped for 30 seconds.
The liquor is very perfumed with citrus flowers which smell fantastic. I have a Meyer Lemon tree and other citrus trees in my garden and the hummingbirds go crazy during citrus blooming season.
Oh wow!! I do taste grapefruit. Far out!! This is a very cleansing tea with some unusual flavors!!
Thank u to Terri Harplady for spoiling me with lovely samples!

Flavors: Fruit Tree Flowers

Wow! What a difference a little tea knowledge can make. I’m still sipping on this tea, after having purchased it several months ago. Fortunately, I ordered plenty of it. I’ve read that it’s one of the least forgiving teas to make gongfu, and so, is great for practicing. After reading some instructions from a tea master who specializes in this style of tea, I think I’ve finally mastered it. Thus, I’ve decided to include some tips for beginners, because I’ve decided that this is probably some of the best tea I’ve ever drank in my life. It does require some skill, though. So, here’s some useful information:

Using a 4oz gaiwan, it is not necessary to preheat your gaiwan for this type of tea. Leaf quantity should be between 4 and 6 grams. However, as you learn this tea, you’ll want to begin by using less quantity of only 5, or even just 4 grams, and work your way up. Start by using one short 5-10 second blanch, or wash. Then, steep for at least 20 to 30 seconds (5-10 seconds is insufficient to extract the subtle sweet taste and aroma), or longer to develop more body in the resulting liquor. Again, start with less time, and work your way up. Water temperature before pouring should be close to 90*C or 190*F, and should result in slightly cooler (about 185*F) as it settles in around the gaiwan. Always pour around the outer rim of the gaiwan so that the porcelain will absorb the heat, and not scorch the tea. Pour from height for the wash step, and pour low for the infusions. This will bring out the sweet and floral notes, while avoiding the bitter astringent qualities which this tea can be so unforgiving about. In order to prevent over-steeping, you should pour the tea out of the gaiwan somewhat quickly into a cha hai or aroma cup. Also, be sure to enjoy the lingering aroma left behind in your cha hai, or aroma cup, after decanting. Always decant the tea liquor as low as possible to avoid losing the aroma. Also, you should always use small gongfu tea cups, so that the tea will cool quickly enough to prevent loss of aroma and taste before it is safe enough to sip. Try to drink it all in 3 big sips, and get it all the way around the tongue and oral cavity. It’s not necessary to slurp, but doing so will help to cool the tea, and bring out more of the sweet flavor, and it helps to draw in some of the aroma to your nasal cavity. You should notice a delicious sweet taste with no bitterness present. I found it to be remarkably similar to blue agave nectar, yabao, or even dōngfāng měirén, but less fruity, and more like a burnt sugar.

Flavors: Apricot, Burnt Sugar, Dark Bittersweet, Honeysuckle, Marshmallow

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Several tasting notes. A honey pleasentness to this tea.

Flavors: Honey

Dark oolong with a light amber color and a pleasant aroma. This tea has a juicy texture and tastes of sweetened grapefruit. It is a very interesting tea, grapefruit is a new taste profile for me.

Flavors: Grapefruit

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Sipdown! (114)

This was a sample from Stephanie, also known as “Lover of Dancongs”. I’ve been trying to get some more experience with these teas, so I requested this one in our recent swap. The leaves are beautiful – they’re very long and straight, and tightly twisted. Very dark in color. I asked Stephanie for her Western-style brewing parameters and I ended up doing 190 degree for 5 minutes.

Brewed aroma is very strongly apricot. And it’s a rather tart-smelling apricot! Yum. There’s also the ubiquitous roastiness and a bit of floral. Whoa, the taste! Very strong due to the long steep, and the stonefruit flavor is very strong and lovely. There’s also a darker dried fruit flavor, maybe prune or raisin. It’s roasty and there’s a bit of autumn leaf, but it’s in the background which is unusual in my experience. My only issue with this tea is that the floral element is fairly strong, and it almost borders on being soapy near the end. And that kind of prevents me from wanting to drink this again. Curse you, floral! Not rating because of the bias, lul. :D

Flavors: Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Roasted

I love that stone fruity aspect of it :)

I’ve chosen this tea for my first tasting note on here. This tea is fantastic. I have enjoyed both western and gong fu with great results both times. The first time I drank it my girlfriend and I actually started laughing it tasted so good. This is always a good sign!

From this tea I have gotten throughout the steeping process the much lauded sandelwood notes as well as stone fruit, grapefruit, and floral notes with some slight minerality popping its head up. Delicious tea.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML