Zhu Rong Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Autumn Hearth

• “I could have sworn someone else had reviewed this tea, yet I cannot find it on the database and it is no longer on Verdant's site, being a limited offering and all. So if anyone affiliated with...” Read full tasting note
    autumn hearth 300 tasting notes
  • “*missB* sent this my way and i'm so glad she did. While this is a great chai, i'm not sure it tops the laoshan village chai from verdant that i love...well unless they keep the winter formulation...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4669 tasting notes
  • “Color me confused. I know I've had this before, drank it, rated it even. And yet, this is the only entry (that I can find) on Steepster for this tea, with only one rating. Huh? Regardless, this is...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1107 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This limited time offering was available from late June to mid July 2012.

We have been wanting to make a chai out of the Zhu Rong Yunnan Black since we first tried it. Selling out of the remainder of our Laoshan 2011 Black gives us an excuse to try a new Chai while the Laoshan tea is on its way.

The Zhu Rong Chai is in a different world entirely. It is dark, rich, and satisfying, with enough body to stand up brilliantly to milk and honey. The aroma is of cayenne, spicy chocolate, oatmeal and citrus. The addition of chai spices to this tea really emphasize its smoldering and savory qualities.

We added a touch of Rama Tulsi (Holy Basil) to the Chai to bind the deep and complex spices with the natural spice of the tea. The result is a fully realized Chai great hot or for iced summer drinks. We hope you join us in trying this experimental blend that we are so pleased to share.

Ingredients: Zhu Rong Yunnan Black, Cardamom Seeds, Cardamom Pods, Ginger, Cinnamon, Fennel, Orange Peel, Vanilla Bean, Saffron, Coriander, Peppercorn (All organic spices)

About Verdant Tea View company

I could have sworn someone else had reviewed this tea, yet I cannot find it on the database and it is no longer on Verdant’s site, being a limited offering and all. So if anyone affiliated with Verdant would like to update the description, please do!

This though, this is so luxurious smelling and tasting. Its major spices that I think of when I think chai: cinnamon, clove, cardamon are not throwing their weight around. I find it hard to describe what I do taste, but it is exotic, silky and reminds me of Indian and Thai food.

I did not sweeten any of my infusions but all three were amazing with milk. I’m not usually an additives person, but my toddler asked for milk after dinner and I poured a glass for myself then decided what I really wanted was chai. I’m looking forward to the Laoshan Village Chai but I fear I may not be able to place an order before the Chocolate Phoenix Chai is gone.

Kittenna

I wish I had managed to get in on this one. At least the Phoenix chai sounds delicious!

missB sent this my way and i’m so glad she did. While this is a great chai, i’m not sure it tops the laoshan village chai from verdant that i love…well unless they keep the winter formulation which i DO NOT LIKE as much. this is a tasty chai, but works better with the addition of a little honey and milk. i do like the difference here though with the zhu rong versus the LB. overall, i’ll probably buy another ounce just to play with it even more as i’d like to try and brew this “proper” :)

Color me confused. I know I’ve had this before, drank it, rated it even. And yet, this is the only entry (that I can find) on Steepster for this tea, with only one rating. Huh? Regardless, this is pretty close to chai perfection for me. Creamy, a hint of chocolate, with all the requisite spices (albeit a bit subdued). I can taste both the base tea and the spices, and it’s sheer bliss. Wish I’d grabbed more when I could!

oh. good. don’t send it to me then..hoard it!

MissB

Heh. No, no. I’ve got some already packed up for you! :)