Laoshan Genmaicha

Green Tea
Creamy, Grass, Nuts, Roasted, Smooth, Butter, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vegetal, Green Beans, Nutty, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by fleurdelily

• “*%{color:green}The Tea%* I ordered this tea just in the nick of time so it seems, because the stock has already sold out. I know that Verdant will blend some more as soon as the autumn harvest of...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “sipdown! you know... for whatever reason, i don't love this nearly as much as i did the first time around. It might be because this is a different picking or something but the first time, i was...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “It's been awhile since I had a cup of Genmaicha. It's so soothing, & this one is especially nice, because we all know that there is no green tea better than Laoshan green! It's gently sweet,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2955 tasting notes
  • “Wow, 500th tasting note! Cowabunga? Genmaicha is like a comfort food to me, so between finishing off the term and battling some virus that wants to take over my body, this is an excellent choice....” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 777 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

Laoshan Green Tea is the epitome of humble beauty, a tea cultivated on the slopes of a Taoist holy mountain, naturally shaded by ocean mist, and sweet and creamy like a comforting dessert, yet unknown outside Shandong province where it grows. As Laoshan Green grows into its role in the west as one of the top rated, most highly praised green teas available, we thought it was time to return to its humble roots with a Laoshan Genmaicha.

This Genmaicha is warm, comforting and savory, a perfect balance of toasted rice and creamy green tea. We take a mixture of fragrant jasmine sticky rice for its sweet, thick milky quality and blend it with our own locally harvested Minnesota wild rice, picked on canoes on our northern lakes, and carefully toasted in tiny batches in-house to yield the perfect puffed rice for Genmaicha. The wild rice adds a deep nutty and vaguely floral sweetness that perfectly compliments the green-bean taste of our fresh Laoshan Green.

This tea is a union of Shandong and Minnesota’s finest crops, a way of connecting the artistry and environmental stewardship of our tea growing friends with that of our wild rice farmers. Super forgiving, this tea can be brewed up in a pot, a gaiwan, or a giant mug to keep your hands warm in the colder months. We hope you have as much fun trying this revolutionary new take on the tradition of Genmaicha as we did blending it.

About Verdant Tea View company

I don’t normally drink green in the AM, but I had this to cleanse my palate after the coffee/puerh tea. No way I could have another black tea right after that. I like this genmai only because I like the veggie flavor of the green, otherwise I prefer my genmai’s much more toasty. But this is cleansing my palate perfectly.

I don’t know if I am getting more use to green teas now or what, but I really like this one. I have had a genmaicha once before, but didn’t really get excited over it. I decided to give this one a try; glad I did. It has a nice robust flavor with out being to overpowering or burnt tasting. It almost seems like it just makes the base tea a little more fuller tasting. Not to mention I love the symbolical combing of the wonderful green tea that Verdant brings in and the use of Verdants’ local rice fused into one tea. Hopefully when my budget allows it I can get more that the sample size next time.

I would recommend this to some one who likes Genmaicha or wants a good introduction to them.

Specifics

leaf: 1tsp
Pot: porcelain
water: 8oz
Additives: sometimes added a pinch of roasted sesame seeds, but only sometimes and isn’t needed.

Wow this is a very nice an buttery genmaicha. Might have to buy some more.

Kittenna

I ordered 1 (or 2? Can’t recall) ounces of this on Black Friday…. so excited to try it!

From my swap with Azzrian.

This is only the second genmaicha I’ve tried, the first being T2’s offering. And this is so much better! I found the one from tea too was too, uhh, ricey? Or perhaps the rice was too toasted? Almost tasted a bit burned (definitely the rice not the green!). But this is divine! I’m really enjoying it! Currently having my second steep.

The liquor is a pale caramel, a bit darker than what I’d expect from the straight green, so obviously the rice is at play there. The laoshan green is just beautiful! With minimal care in the brewing ( just using the pre-set 80oC on by breville kettle and leaving for an un-timed 1.5 mins each brew) its lovely and soft and sweet. Just so tasty. And I’m unsure if its the rice or the green, but there is a lovely buttery texture to the tea too. The rice is very smooth, a great soft toasty flavour. The mix of the sweet and savory works so well in this tea. Beautiful.

I’m really enjoying this one, I didn’t think I’d actually like genmaicha after my initial attempt, so thankyou Verdant and Azzrian! I only expect my rating to improve with subsequent brews.

First time with this one and it’s pretty yummy!

Every time I have this tea I think it’s better. I’ve been hoarding this tea, so the package I’ve had is a little old, but it’s super yum. In fact I really think the rice flavor has come out more, and the Laoshan notes have deepened.

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
scribbles

I’ve been hoarding my last bit of it as well. So delicious.

Finished this off this morning. Such a special tea. I love both genmaicha and laoshan green, but the combination is even more amazing.

Mmmm!
I didn’t have high hopes for this one because it just smelled grassy in the bag.
But mannn! Did the smell betray me!
It’s creamy, nutty, smooth!
Delicious genmaicha! One of the better ones out there!

Flavors: Creamy, Grass, Nuts, Roasted, Smooth

Cameron B.

I agree, super good! :)

Lewis & Clarke TTB

Yum, genmaicha. I’m very interested in trying this one so I can see how it compares to my beloved Minnesota Blend, since it’s the same thing but without the vanilla and flower petals. I love that they use two types of toasted rice, it adds a lot of visual interest. The tea itself is one of the Laoshan Greens, and the leaves are dark evergreen, very thin, and curled. It smells toasty and creamy and absolutely lovely. I went for a 2 minute steep just because. :D

Mm, the brewed aroma is luscious… Toasting, comforting rice mixed with sweet and creamy vegetal green tea. Oh yum. The toasted rice is very toasted, so the flavor is deep and rich and amazing. And the green tea is that lovely sweet and creamy Laoshan Green with its gentle vegetal flavor. This is delish, and will absolutely be an acceptable substitute for my Minnesota Blend once it’s gone (aww).

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Roasted, Smooth, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vegetal

Lewis and Clarke

Much less rice than I usually see in Genmaichas. But it’s good this way. I like it. I like the base tea quite well, so the lower rice content is actually quite nice.

pretty, curly little leaves

it’s quite green and refreshing, with just a hint of nuttiness from the rice.