Laoshan Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green, Toasted Rice, Creamy, Grass, Nuts, Roasted, Smooth, Butter, Sweet, Vegetal, Green Beans, Nutty, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by fleurdelily

From Verdant Tea

Laoshan Green Tea is the epitome of humble beauty, a tea cultivated on the slopes of a Taoist holy mountain, naturally shaded by ocean mist, and sweet and creamy like a comforting dessert, yet unknown outside Shandong province where it grows. As Laoshan Green grows into its role in the west as one of the top rated, most highly praised green teas available, we thought it was time to return to its humble roots with a Laoshan Genmaicha.

This Genmaicha is warm, comforting and savory, a perfect balance of toasted rice and creamy green tea. We take a mixture of fragrant jasmine sticky rice for its sweet, thick milky quality and blend it with our own locally harvested Minnesota wild rice, picked on canoes on our northern lakes, and carefully toasted in tiny batches in-house to yield the perfect puffed rice for Genmaicha. The wild rice adds a deep nutty and vaguely floral sweetness that perfectly compliments the green-bean taste of our fresh Laoshan Green.

This tea is a union of Shandong and Minnesota’s finest crops, a way of connecting the artistry and environmental stewardship of our tea growing friends with that of our wild rice farmers. Super forgiving, this tea can be brewed up in a pot, a gaiwan, or a giant mug to keep your hands warm in the colder months. We hope you have as much fun trying this revolutionary new take on the tradition of Genmaicha as we did blending it.

About Verdant Tea View company

I don’t normally drink green in the AM, but I had this to cleanse my palate after the coffee/puerh tea. No way I could have another black tea right after that. I like this genmai only because I like the veggie flavor of the green, otherwise I prefer my genmai’s much more toasty. But this is cleansing my palate perfectly.

I don’t know if I am getting more use to green teas now or what, but I really like this one. I have had a genmaicha once before, but didn’t really get excited over it. I decided to give this one a try; glad I did. It has a nice robust flavor with out being to overpowering or burnt tasting. It almost seems like it just makes the base tea a little more fuller tasting. Not to mention I love the symbolical combing of the wonderful green tea that Verdant brings in and the use of Verdants’ local rice fused into one tea. Hopefully when my budget allows it I can get more that the sample size next time.

I would recommend this to some one who likes Genmaicha or wants a good introduction to them.

Specifics

leaf: 1tsp
Pot: porcelain
water: 8oz
Additives: sometimes added a pinch of roasted sesame seeds, but only sometimes and isn’t needed.

Wow this is a very nice an buttery genmaicha. Might have to buy some more.

Kittenna

I ordered 1 (or 2? Can’t recall) ounces of this on Black Friday…. so excited to try it!

From my swap with Azzrian.

This is only the second genmaicha I’ve tried, the first being T2’s offering. And this is so much better! I found the one from tea too was too, uhh, ricey? Or perhaps the rice was too toasted? Almost tasted a bit burned (definitely the rice not the green!). But this is divine! I’m really enjoying it! Currently having my second steep.

The liquor is a pale caramel, a bit darker than what I’d expect from the straight green, so obviously the rice is at play there. The laoshan green is just beautiful! With minimal care in the brewing ( just using the pre-set 80oC on by breville kettle and leaving for an un-timed 1.5 mins each brew) its lovely and soft and sweet. Just so tasty. And I’m unsure if its the rice or the green, but there is a lovely buttery texture to the tea too. The rice is very smooth, a great soft toasty flavour. The mix of the sweet and savory works so well in this tea. Beautiful.

I’m really enjoying this one, I didn’t think I’d actually like genmaicha after my initial attempt, so thankyou Verdant and Azzrian! I only expect my rating to improve with subsequent brews.

A very yummy comforting tea.

welcome back lady!

Helena

Yeah it’s been awhile. Mostly since I can’t drink tea at work. The kettle and water there are horrible, I swear it’s something out of a horror flick.

hahahaha

Every time I have this tea I think it’s better. I’ve been hoarding this tea, so the package I’ve had is a little old, but it’s super yum. In fact I really think the rice flavor has come out more, and the Laoshan notes have deepened.

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
scribbles

I’ve been hoarding my last bit of it as well. So delicious.

Finished this off this morning. Such a special tea. I love both genmaicha and laoshan green, but the combination is even more amazing.

I personally like my Genmaicha to have a distinct roasted rice taste. The tea does have the smell of roasted rice but the taste is a smooth vegetable with just a hint of roasted rice. I tried making it using different amounts, temperatures and steep times but I just couldn’t coax the stronger rice taste I want out of it.

Flavors: Green, Toasted Rice

Delish!!
Not much else to say though. It tastes like a smooth cross between Laoshan green(vegetal, nutty) and genmaicha. I dig.

Kirkoneill1988

genmaicha tastes like popcorn tea to me :D

Indigobloom

Haha yes that is what my niece calls it! :)

Lewis & Clark Traveling Teabox – Tea #8
I usually love genmaicha and I know I love the Laoshan green. It’s actually the highest rated “Laoshan” for me, surprisingly enough. I’m not sure if it was the three minute steep making it a little bit too bitter (or I used too many leaves), or that I couldn’t really taste too much of the rice, but this isn’t a favorite. I think I like to sip the Laoshan green on its own and I like it better when genmaicha is made with sencha. I know they both work better for me on their own!
Steep #1 // 30 min after boiling // 3 min