Laoshan Genmaicha

Green Tea
Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by fleurdelily

• “*%{color:green}The Tea%* I ordered this tea just in the nick of time so it seems, because the stock has already sold out. I know that Verdant will blend some more as soon as the autumn harvest of...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 672 tasting notes
  • “sipdown! you know... for whatever reason, i don't love this nearly as much as i did the first time around. It might be because this is a different picking or something but the first time, i was...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “It's been awhile since I had a cup of Genmaicha. It's so soothing, & this one is especially nice, because we all know that there is no green tea better than Laoshan green! It's gently sweet,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2478 tasting notes
  • “Wow, 500th tasting note! Cowabunga? Genmaicha is like a comfort food to me, so between finishing off the term and battling some virus that wants to take over my body, this is an excellent choice....” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

Laoshan Green Tea is the epitome of humble beauty, a tea cultivated on the slopes of a Taoist holy mountain, naturally shaded by ocean mist, and sweet and creamy like a comforting dessert, yet unknown outside Shandong province where it grows. As Laoshan Green grows into its role in the west as one of the top rated, most highly praised green teas available, we thought it was time to return to its humble roots with a Laoshan Genmaicha.

This Genmaicha is warm, comforting and savory, a perfect balance of toasted rice and creamy green tea. We take a mixture of fragrant jasmine sticky rice for its sweet, thick milky quality and blend it with our own locally harvested Minnesota wild rice, picked on canoes on our northern lakes, and carefully toasted in tiny batches in-house to yield the perfect puffed rice for Genmaicha. The wild rice adds a deep nutty and vaguely floral sweetness that perfectly compliments the green-bean taste of our fresh Laoshan Green.

This tea is a union of Shandong and Minnesota’s finest crops, a way of connecting the artistry and environmental stewardship of our tea growing friends with that of our wild rice farmers. Super forgiving, this tea can be brewed up in a pot, a gaiwan, or a giant mug to keep your hands warm in the colder months. We hope you have as much fun trying this revolutionary new take on the tradition of Genmaicha as we did blending it.

About Verdant Tea View company

I don’t normally drink green in the AM, but I had this to cleanse my palate after the coffee/puerh tea. No way I could have another black tea right after that. I like this genmai only because I like the veggie flavor of the green, otherwise I prefer my genmai’s much more toasty. But this is cleansing my palate perfectly.

I don’t know if I am getting more use to green teas now or what, but I really like this one. I have had a genmaicha once before, but didn’t really get excited over it. I decided to give this one a try; glad I did. It has a nice robust flavor with out being to overpowering or burnt tasting. It almost seems like it just makes the base tea a little more fuller tasting. Not to mention I love the symbolical combing of the wonderful green tea that Verdant brings in and the use of Verdants’ local rice fused into one tea. Hopefully when my budget allows it I can get more that the sample size next time.

I would recommend this to some one who likes Genmaicha or wants a good introduction to them.

Specifics

leaf: 1tsp
Pot: porcelain
water: 8oz
Additives: sometimes added a pinch of roasted sesame seeds, but only sometimes and isn’t needed.

Wow this is a very nice an buttery genmaicha. Might have to buy some more.

Kittenna

I ordered 1 (or 2? Can’t recall) ounces of this on Black Friday…. so excited to try it!

From my swap with Azzrian.

This is only the second genmaicha I’ve tried, the first being T2’s offering. And this is so much better! I found the one from tea too was too, uhh, ricey? Or perhaps the rice was too toasted? Almost tasted a bit burned (definitely the rice not the green!). But this is divine! I’m really enjoying it! Currently having my second steep.

The liquor is a pale caramel, a bit darker than what I’d expect from the straight green, so obviously the rice is at play there. The laoshan green is just beautiful! With minimal care in the brewing ( just using the pre-set 80oC on by breville kettle and leaving for an un-timed 1.5 mins each brew) its lovely and soft and sweet. Just so tasty. And I’m unsure if its the rice or the green, but there is a lovely buttery texture to the tea too. The rice is very smooth, a great soft toasty flavour. The mix of the sweet and savory works so well in this tea. Beautiful.

I’m really enjoying this one, I didn’t think I’d actually like genmaicha after my initial attempt, so thankyou Verdant and Azzrian! I only expect my rating to improve with subsequent brews.

First time with this one and it’s pretty yummy!

Once again I lost my note while I was in the middle of writing it. SIGH.

I’ve had this tea for awhile, and had forgotten that I never wrote a tasting note on it. I’m actually glad I waited, because I remember at first being disappointed that it didn’t taste more like traditional genmaicha. However, now I can appreciate it for what it is. There are already many notes on the taste of this tea, so I don’t feel that I need to go into great detail. The green bean flavor of the Laoshan green melded with the toasty rice makes for a comfy and gentle cup. It’s hard for me to describe what I feel toasted rice adds to any blend; it adds more body and richness. It adds more YUMM.

Note to self: 1 teaspoon of leaf is quite enough.

Finished this off this morning. Such a special tea. I love both genmaicha and laoshan green, but the combination is even more amazing.

Aroma: Vegetal, roasty
Liquor Color: Bright yellow
Liquor Flavor: Sweet and lightly toasted, buttery, savory
Notes: I love lasoshan, never really had a good genmaicha but this one was divine! I loved the light toasted flavor that came out, I just wanted to keep drinking this. Melt in your mouth feeling. Ahh.

I posted this under the wrong tea. I meant the black version. [note moved]

Dexter3657

Glad that your package finally made it out of the void that can be Customs. So annoying when they hold it for no reason.
Ummm you’ve posted this note under Laoshan genmaicha – which is green – did you mean to post for Laoshan Black Chocolate Genmaicha?

haha i was just going to say the same thing dexter

Cavocorax

Oh man. I did. Whoooooops

This is the 3rd Genmaicha I’ve ever had. (Well 3rd brand that is.) the 1st was Fusion Teas, and a interesting flavor but 1 I was undecided about keeping around. The second was a unknown nasty one that still makes me shudder.

This, like the other Verdant tea that I’ve tried so far (Eight Treasures. Tried it just a few days ago.) Is excellent. Since I’ve been flirting with the idea of just keeping samples (Since I love variety but also must be reasonable about how much I spend.) I don’t think I would want a bunch of this at a time. But like with Eight Treasures I keep licking my chops. Grins