Chai Kit

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaLush

• “This took a long time to make, for tea, but I wouldn't have complained if it was worth it. The spice balance here is "all wrong" for the kind of Chai that normally comes to mind (at least to my...” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 333 tasting notes
  • “This includes a packet of chai spice tea and a packet of black tea base (Laoshan Black and Shui Jin Gui) along with instructions for cooking up the chai. The chai is heavy on the cardamom flavors...” Read full tasting note
    Ellenkh27 74 tasting notes
  • “I like this chai. It's neither too weak nor too strong. It's a good comfort drink. However, I don't feel like the exotic ingredients added to the spice blend such as saffron really come through....” Read full tasting note
    Archimède 9 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

Product description not available yet.

About Verdant Tea View company

This took a long time to make, for tea, but I wouldn’t have complained if it was worth it. The spice balance here is “all wrong” for the kind of Chai that normally comes to mind (at least to my mind) – it completely lacks spiciness. It was a shame to ruin such a good tea base with such a poor chai mixture. I am going to make my own spicier blend next time.

This includes a packet of chai spice tea and a packet of black tea base (Laoshan Black and Shui Jin Gui) along with instructions for cooking up the chai. The chai is heavy on the cardamom flavors with not much clove. The base gives it a prominent chocolate and caramel flavor which is different than a usual chai tea. I liked it, but missed the spicy bite of the clove.

I like this chai. It’s neither too weak nor too strong. It’s a good comfort drink.

However, I don’t feel like the exotic ingredients added to the spice blend such as saffron really come through. It’s not that big of a deal, but Spanish saffron is very expensive, so I’m not sure if it’s worth the investment.

It’s also a bit annoying that the ingredients come packaged in non-resealable bags that make way too much chai for one person. Single serving bags would have been better, as I understand the purpose of this kit is to make it more convenient to prepare. In the future I will probably buy some Laoshan Black and the spice mix separately.

Finally, there was a bit of confusion about the preparation, since the printed instructions in the box differed from those on the website. I ended up going with the printed version. They were quite a bit different with the proportions, so I wonder what is best.

I have only tried this chai with cow milk so far, but almond milk might be worth trying. Either way it’s a solid choice that would make a good gift or introduction to this drink.