Master Han's Shu Pu'er 2002

Pu-erh Tea
Wet Wood, Clay, Fruity, Mud, Nuts, Sweet, Wet Earth, Earth, Metallic, Raisins, Berries, Olive Oil, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady
Boiling 1 min, 30 sec 7 g 10 oz / 295 ml

• “For those who don't know me, I have a very deep cynical streak (the title of my first CD was 'Cynical Serenity'). I also have trust issues, especially when it comes to 'guru' types. So, having said...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3065 tasting notes
  • “This is so good, I really wish I got more when it was available. My stash is getting painfully smaller every time I drink it. If it comes in again, I'm getting more for sure. Aromatic, smooth...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “This is my first experience with puerh of any sort. After rinsing, the aroma is reminiscent of seaweed, which unfortunately is not pleasant to me in a culinary sense, and the brewed color is...” Read full tasting note
    caile 198 tasting notes
  • “Here we go. As always I start with shortest steeps possible like 5 sec and slowly increase the time. This shu is amazing. Clear amber color, leather smell but not strong. Very easy to drink. I...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 417 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

Master Han, who wild-picks his tea in the depths of Mt Ailao National Forest Preserve as part of the Dongsa Farmer’s cooperative, is making some of the best pu’er in the world. His strict dedication to crafting each batch uniquely to the leaves picked leads him to innovate and bring out the best of his land. This is the first batch of shu pu’er he has produced, using aged leaves picked in 2002, then pressed in 2012. This technique leads to an extremely clean, rich and sweet shu pu’er that he is proud to share.

As the tea steeps, the steam wafts sweet raisin aromatics with mossy forest undertones.

The liquor is perfectly light and clear, with the green plantain and olive oil flavor distinctive to Master Han’s Black Tea and his Qianjiazhai shu pu’er. The tart notes in the tea are reminiscent of a blend of hibiscus, elderberry and rose. Herbaceous hints of coriander and fennel sneak into the aftertaste.

The musty and aged quality of this tea is so refined that it moves away from earthy and more towards the satisfying smell of old libraries. The more you sip, the more a camphor-like aftertaste and cooling sensation build up in the back of the throat. The aftertaste continues to build and get sweeter and juicier the more steepings you enjoy. It is exciting to see Master Han innovating and trying new things even when he has an established tradition of sheng pu’er. May future years bring more of this precious pu’er.

About Verdant Tea View company

Thank you Sil for adding this in andd helping educate me on puerhs! (189)

The verdict? I like it! I gave it a short rinse, and steeped it for 2 minutes and the result is a nice earthy brew that pleasantly smooth and maybe even a little sweet? I’ll finish this cup, and try to resteep it later!

..just you wait…

Yesterday I was hanging out with Master Han’s 2004 loose shu which I enjoyed but wasn;t wowed by. Today I’m trying out the 2002 to see if I can notice differences. Might help educate me a bit about my tastes and the different flavours and aromas.

I am using the small gaiwan again with boiling water, a ten second rinse and then combined the first two steeps (both 15 seconds) in my small koi cup. The aroma reminds me of mushrooms and damp earth – it poured a sea here so I am used to the wet earth! This isn’t as offensive as the initial aroma of the ‘04 I had yesterday. Taste-wise, this is not as sweet, it has some juiciness but isn’t as bright. This is more earthy and almost has a light coffee edge, without any defined bitterness.

Steeps 3 and 4 were combined in one cup again, each given 30 seconds to steep. I prefer the convenience of combining two steeps but I think I am losing flavour this way. I might try doing two steeps at a time but separate cups so I can just drink them in order. Anyway, this has a little more depth than the first round but the flavours are muddied. I think it’s because of the combo. Darn laziness. I think I’ll call the tasting note quits for now and just enjoy the rest.

At first, I preferred the sweetness of the ‘04 puerh but this one seems to have more depth and body. I can’t quite appreciate the nuances yet, but I did enjoy the tea. I definitely need to try this with each steep done individually. Tentative rating but I prefer the 04 to this for now. I have 2 ounces of this though (accidentally bought it twice) so I can try it many more times.

SimpliciTEA

I sometimes combine quick steeps in the same cup just as you seem to do (unless another cup is handy).

This has sat here for a bit with me wanting to wait to drink it for whatever reason. Today, I grabbed it and just started making it… so I guess today is the day! Started with just a small chunk in a 12oz. cup, and then added the other/last chunk to it, because it was brewing up a bit too lightly for my liking with a pu-erh.

First steep, 3 min, 200F: fishy, earthy, creamy, something dried berry-ish, and a lingering taste that I can only describe as metallic in a good way.

A huge thank you to akgrowngirl for sharing this very precious tea with me.

Flavors: Earth, Metallic, Raisins

Sami Kelsh

Metallic and raisins sounds weirdly good!

I am in the middle of the other reviewers with my opinion of this one. The dry smell is kind of like musty fish. Verdant calls it raisin aromatics with forest moss undertones or something like that. I get fishy. The dry scent reminds me of a not so good puer I bought in a can some years back. I know the dry aroma is usually misleading so I carry on. Once steeped the wet leaf aroma is still a bit harsh to me but it adds dark notes like cocoa and bread or grain. The taste is old dusty book leather (Oooh I like that) and wheat – like the shredded cereal (I like that too). As it cools I do get some notes I will agree are raisin like. The aftertaste is nutty and fruity. Mid sip the flavor gets real pronounced but not harsh or bitter. All in all, I like this fine but it is not one of my favorite shu. If I change my opinion with more steeps I’ll update. Thanks Terri.

mrmopar

Yeah I try to make an effort not to inhale the aroma of shu. Sheng a different story, the aromas of it are very diverse compared to shu.

K S

Yeah, given our descriptions of the smells it is a wonder any one new ever gives it a try. Almost never is the aroma anything like the taste.

So I’ve been drinking mostly oolongs the past day or two, but I’ve got a six hour shift ahead of me and I was falling asleep, so I dug this puer sample out of my cupboard. Of course, I don’t know how (or just don’t bother?) to do it right so it’s probably a waste of this fancy verdant tea. But it was a free sample so technically it’s the cheapest tea in my cupboard. Anyway.

I broke off half the sample, rinsed it, sort of, threw it into a mug of boiling water just before rushing downstairs. It was a bit of a shock at first, because apparently I’d forgotten what puer tastes like.

It’s quite nice now, though. Tastes like dirt and wet wood in the nicest way. I’m getting a little of the raisiny taste people mentioned. It’s smoother than that other stuff I tried once. Wow, my tasting notes are so legit. I’m really tired tonight…