Qilan Wuyi Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

From Verdant Tea

Direct-sourced from the Li Family in Xing Village, this luscious Qilan is thrillingly green and juicy with a tart, lingering aftertaste . . .

We are extremely proud and excited to introduce the Li family of Xing Village through their luscious Qilan varietal Wuyi Oolong. Qilan varietal teas usually have more sweet floral nuance than other Wuyi oolongs. The Li family has roasted this tea with tender care and precision – preserving the greener natural notes of the tea.

The wet leaf aroma is reminiscent of spiced eggnog, and tart like Rhubarb crumble. The early steepings are thrillingly green, juicy and thick like honey. As the tea continues to steep out, the body builds up, and hints at flaky vanilla pastry with the aftertaste of raw cacao nibs or cherry. The honey sweetness grows into a rice milk horchata flavor, and tart plantain aftertaste.

About Verdant Tea View company

From the November Classic Club box…

Creamy, floral, dark, vaguely fruity, full bodied, and kind of bitter is how I would describe this tea. Definitely drinkable but I strongly preferred the Dancong. This is not one of my favorite type of oolong, BUT it is nice to drink something different and since BrewTEAlly Sweet and I split the box I don’t have a whole lot to sip through….sadly the same with the Dancong though :P

BrewTEAlly Sweet

I’m currently drinking this one:) for once I’m getting to my club samples!! :)

I wanted to love this tea so bad!!! “Reminiscent of spices eggnog”!!! “Thick like honey” “flaky vanilla pastry” “rice milk horchata flavor”?!!! I want!!! I love love love horchata and flaky pastry and this time of year… EGG NOG!! I only got 2 steeps out of this today. I will save for tomorrow and take it a little further in search of all those notes!! I’m on a mission! The two steeps I did get around to I did get a juicy floral green, a little astringent, tart too. Oh please tea gods bring me that richness this tea is destined for!
I do have exciting news!!!!
I used my brand new DAVIDsTEA Steeper from the oh so generous MissB. I am in love! I love his little guy! It has changed my tea life!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

This tea was a gorgeous blue almost purple hue! I loved it! So I had to take a picture!

I was hoping the after math would be that beautiful hue as well but not the case:(

Until tomorrow my tea friend! I can’t wait!

Bonnie

Looks a little underleafed maybe to me. Nice brewer.

Stephanie

I am eager to see what you think of the Dancong :)

BrewTEAlly Sweet

@Bonnie: It’s a tablespoon and a half for 10 oz… How much do you use? It didn’t taste weak… Just not ripened or awakened yet… Ha ha
@Stephanie: I’ll make that my mission for tomorrow:) I’ll bring the laoshan black to work and save that one for after work:)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

If you do a quick pan-fire a dancong oolong on a medium heat skillet (very quickly, moving it around a lot so not to burn it) it will awaken the flavors and result in a much better brew. Try that next time just prior to brewing it :)

How neat! Thanks!

Bonnie

It just looked like hardly any leaves in your brewer. Might be the picture angle. You should be using about 6grams for 10oz water.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

These lighter roasted oolongs are hard to figure out for sure! If you have a gaiwan, I’d highly recommend that. I’ve never been able to enjoy them very well western style.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Wow interesting! Thank you! And I wish I had a gaiwan!!!! Maybe a really awesome rustic one or unique one will fine me someday :)

Stephanie

I will try in gaiwan next time! I love my new one from Butiki teas :)

Ya ya ^ show off :p

Hehehe :)

Bonnie

Look on YouTube for how to use a mug or teacup as a gaiwan. It’s easy to do with a saucer and another cup to pour tea into. Think of the principle and replicate it.

I drank this over the afternoon, & although I enjoyed it, I don’t really have anything to share. It was tasty, building up to a sweet kind of creamy vanilla mouth, & some fruitiness. I don’t know what else to say, but luckily I have enough to drink it again, so hopefully next time I’ll have more to comment on.

This came as a sample in my recent Verdant order! Actually on the bag it says “Wuyi Qilan Oolong”, but when I searched the website (including out of stock and archived blends) I could only find reference to this name so I shall put my tasting note here.

I actually weighed out my tea for this one to 3.6 oz. in my 15 oz. mug. I did this first steep for 1 minute, and I’ll try to update with subsequent steeps.

This tea is quite rich. I’m finding it almost filling.

Second steep 2 minutes. Still plenty of flavour.

First Gongfu brewing in a few months (!). I have been busy, what can I say.
This is also a sip down of a sample from Verdant.
I wish that I chosen a different tea to drink now. It was somehow unsatisfying for the mood I was in – I should have picked something more roasted. I don’t much like Wuyi oolongs, and this teas floral notes in the first and second steepings, and its somewhat flat flavor made me not want to keep on steeping to a third.
No eggnog, no pastry, no vanilla, cacao, and although this tea is sweet, it has none of the depth of honey.
I think I have some more stashed somewhere, so I may give it a try again in the future. But this is not a tea that I’m going to run out and buy. If you like “green”, floral oolongs, try this tea (even though it looks and is roasted, it doesn’t taste like a roasted oolong).
Off to dinner with a friend.

(this is where i jokingly say…green! floral! oolong! my favourites!) not lol :)

But on another note – Greg at Norbu is awesome! It’s too much tea to get him to look about getting the Lao…. we’d have to buy a kilo, and that’s more tea than anyone needs, even split. BUT he did offer to send me a sample of the ruby black as that’s the most comparable :) so yay for that! thanks again for the heads up on the sale…excited to get my little order!

I just wrote a tasting note for this tea, but something happened with my internet and I lost it. I really don’t want to write it again… so to summarize, I had two cups of this and didn’t find either of them all that eventful. The scent of the tea was rather nice: floral and sweet. I could mostly taste the flowers with a hint of astringency, but no fruit or vanilla. The second cup was more like perfume than the first, but the astringency balanced out the flowers so I didn’t get a headache (sometimes super floral teas are too much and make me feel sick). I wouldn’t turn down this tea, but there are so many oolongs that are much more delicious.

Pleasant, but nothing that stands out in particular. Floral (but not overwhelmingly so), juicy, and sweet-ish with a hint of tartness. I think I prefer the second steep overall.

This is Qilan WuYi Oolong from Verdant Tea. I had the pleasure to try this tea during Verdant’s Saturday Night Tea Lounge Gongfu Cha yesterday. It was amazing, a tea I fell in love with at first sip. I knew after just one cup that I needed to buy this tea, no matter what the cost. It is now my all time favorite tea, truly a masterpiece. The dry leaves are loosely rolled, large, dark and green. They have a distinct orchard scent, that becomes clear as plum after the first sip of the light liquor. It has a slight acidity to it, although not unpleasant. The tartness plays well with the rich plum flavor. It is smooth and silky, with little astringency and no bitterness. As steepings progress, plum flavors get replaced with perfect smokiness and greenness. I bought an ounce of this tea for $9.35 right away, it will be a tea I pull out only on special occasions with friends who can fully appreciate this delicious work of art.

I am a bit disappointed in this one. I think it is my fault though. I love wuyi oolongs, they are so roasty and toasty and comfortable. But I think I failed to properly read the description of this one before I purchased it. I was tea-blind.

This one taste much more of a green oolong. It is greeny tasting with a lot of floral notes. Not terribly much roast or toast or comfort. It did brew up quite thick with a lot of honey notes.

It is still quite a delicious tea, just not what I was expecting. I would normally reserve a tea like this for the afternoon, not the first one of the morning. So I feel like I am not quite wakened up yet.