Master Han’s Looseleaf 2004 Shu Pu’er

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by lteg

From Verdant Tea

Master Han wild-picks his tea in the Qianjiazhai region of the Mt. Ailao national forest preserve in the primeval tea forests of Yunnan. He very rarely produces and releases shu pu’er, as the natural terroir of the forest so often suits making sheng pu’er and black tea. Yet when he does break out the shu, it is always an incredible experience that changes the way we think about pu’er.

Master Han’s looseleaf shu pu’er is one of the cleanest, most refreshing pu’ers we have ever tasted. His looseleaf fermentation yields a beautifully crisp and juicy flavor. The aroma of the wet leaf is rich with notes of roasted sweet potato, earthy and sweet like raisins.

The tea steeps up as clean as can be, with cake and caramel notes, and a strong vanilla flavor. The aftertaste is that of dark candied fruit like goji berry and hawthorn. Later steepings yield a potent cinnamon sweetness, and a fresh vaporous sensation. Buy four to eight ounces and age this in a ceramic jar if you can. The textural complexity stands only to continue to deepen.

About Verdant Tea View company

I’m FINALLY starting to feel slightly better from my cold, YAY! And I’ve been craving puerh like crazy lately. This one is particularly clean tasting, though I haven’t quite got my sense of taste back yet…I’m still enjoying it :)

Courtney

Getting better, yes!

so jealous of your mandala order…

Stephanie

I’ve been SO good lately…I don’t think I’ve placed an order since like November, LOL! :)

boychik

if only i could be as strong as you:)

Courtney

If only we could all be so strong haha!

I am a fan of Master Han’s artisan teas, & this one is no exception. I’m not going to go into any great detail because I’m exhausted from practicing all day, & also because I went with a western style steeping, just to get an initial taste. Sticking my nose in the bag, I smelled cake! The tea itself has a very smooth & creamy vanilla quality to it, & it’s a nice sweet cup without any of the barnyard odors or tastes that you get with some teas. I’ll most likely have to order more of this, to have & to hold…sigh…

Cavocorax

Eeep! I don’t know what happened, but I just realized today that I wasn’t following you. I must have clicked something on the mobile site or something. I thought you were just being quiet.

But I’m back! :D Looking forward to reading your notes again. (Doh. Silly me)

Terri HarpLady

I just noticed that you are following me now, LOL.

cryptickoi

yeah,nice clean shu…i’ll probably pick up a bit more to send to my son,shu is his favorite…

I brought this one to dialysis clinic with us today cuz i get so bored up here with no tea lol. This one is really good to me, i like it alot, one of the better of Master Han’s teas that I’ve had from Verdant. It goes for many steeps also. To me it has many different flavor notes throughout many steepings, little earth, little sweet, little vanilla? little woody? and more, Not really sure what to think about this one except that it is really good… really damn good :)
a 100 for sure from me!

Kirkoneill1988

i want to try it now!

Thomas Edward(Toad)

You should give it a try, good stuff :)

Kirkoneill1988

i will someday

Nice smooth shu, no earth taste. Clear dark amber color, very pleasant .

A very nice cleansing tea. However when I opened the bag it smelled sooo much like fish that I was hesitant to try it. I did give the kitten a sniff from the bag and he took to the smell like it was honeysuckle or catnip. He was very disappointed when I took the bag away from him. The pup couldn’t care less unless it was actual fish in which case she would eat it right up if the kitten didn’t beat her to it!

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Master Han is someone whose teas I have conflicting feelings about. I respect the craftsmanship and appreciate the complexity of his teas, but often find that I don’t actually enjoy the flavor of them. So it was on a huge whim (with coaxing from Verdant’s tasting notes) that I decided to grab a full 4 oz of this tea during their Pu’er sale.

I am so thankful for that whim! This tea is a joy.

The aroma of the dry leaves is mild — a nice woody smell with no mustiness. Once the water hits them it’s like a refreshing clean rain in a wood.

The flavor of the first two infusions is sweeter than I expected and has an apple/pear flavor to it. However it’s not so singularly fruity like some Pu’er tea I’ve had, there’s a light woody and earthy flavor lurking in the background, almost like when the apples were pressed there were a few leaves and a small branch that snuck in.

As the infusions continue the flavor slowly shifts toward spice and bread. Some sips bring to mind my family’s lightly spiced cardamom bread and others a subtle poundcake flavor. And at just the right temperature there’s a hint of clove in there.

Throughout the brewing session this tea has been incredibly creamy and smooth.

This tea is a great all-arounder. There’s a decent level of complexity to it for when you really want to experience your tea, but it’s also eminently drinkable when you just want a good cuppa. In addition a strong brew is a great warming winter brew, but if you went a little lighter this would make a GREAT iced tea.

When drinking this tea I highly recommend gong fu brewing. My first experiences with it were western brewing and I was left really disappointed by the muddled flavor, but the gong fu sessions have been an absolute treat. In the week I’ve had this tea I’ve already had 3 sessions with it!

Aroma: Caramel and earth, sweet.

1: Earth, sweet, heavy mouthfeel, thick, clean, strong, caramel, tobacco, coffee (cools more earthy and thick) – Dark redish brown

2: Smooth, Earth, less on the sweet, clean, more mellowed, possible vanilla, dash of coffee and caramel. Similar mouthfeel, slightly astringent. Long finish. Very dark redish brown

3. Even smoother. Similar. Colour as before.

Aroma: Earth, tobacco

4. Mellowed earth, duller flavour, sweet undertone, lighter mouthfeel, caramel/tobacco.

5. Longer brew. Very dark colour. Heavy mouthfeel again, slight spiced tone.

6. Weaker, mellow, earth, sweet, vanilla. Juicy.

7. Weak.

Strong but soft qi, alert but no jitters. Very good for a pre desk work drink during lunch. Nice daily drinker that is cheap.

Boiling

Two of my brothers are here this week for March Break and one has been throwing up all day so I am doing whatever I can to keep myself safe from the awful germs. I thought maybe some tea would be wise and I had the time to do gong-fu so I decided to open this one. I am not a pu-erh afficianado but I pick it up sometimes so I can try them out. I tend to prefer shu and didn’t want to pick at part of a cake so here I am.

The dry leaf smells nice, very much like black tea with some sweet grassiness in the aroma. I am steeping a heaping teaspoon in my small gaiwan with boiling water. Steep times listed below.

I did a ten second rinse and then ten seconds for the first steep which smells…less appetizing. This is more like wet animals and dung than the nice earthy barn flavour I have come to appreciate. Fortunately the taste is much more pleasant. It is actually surprisingly mild. I am having trouble describing it. There is some sweetness, and something earthy. No wet animals or dung. Yay!

Steep 2 at 15 seconds is much darker, aroma is much like the first, only less unpleasant. More like earth than animals. I don’t know if I am becoming accustomed to it or if the character of the tea has changed. The flavour is lighter than the aroma again, and sweeter than expected. There is some depth and richness but I have a hard time describing it. This is harder than it looks!

Steep 3 at approximately 20 seconds yields another dark cup that smells more like earth after a hard rain. I am liking this the best so far but unfortunately I had a chip between steeps and that is muting my taste buds. This is still sweet and strong, no bitterness or astringency. I do seem to be losing a bit of the flavour so I am upping the time for the next round.

Steep 4 at 30 seconds has kicked back up a bit, earthiness, fresh and sweet. I’m going to stop posting about this one now because not much is changing worth reporting and my (non-pukey) brother wants the puter back.

In general, I didn’t get any bitterness or astringency which I appreciated. The aroma could be overwhelming but the flavour was often a bit lighter in a pleasant way. I am enjoying it, but don’t find it remarkable. That could be my lack of experience or my personal preference but my rating is not to suggest it is a poor quality tea, it just doesn’t knock my socks off. I will try again at some point with even more leaf and less steep time when I have the opportunity to enjoy many many steeps.

MissB

Wowza, I really hope the puerh helps you fend off that nastiness. I hope everyone feels better soon!

Uniquity

Thanks MissB!

As for the tea, I’ve done an additional four steeps (2 combined twice) and nothing new really happened. I get a lot of colour from the leaves but not much flavour even when steeped for a minute or more. I think I’ve about exhausted my options. I think more leaf and less time would be interesting.

This is an excellent pu’er. To me it was earthy but it could have been just a tad stronger. I really like the complexity of this tea. It really had a great feel and taste in my mouth. I will definitely order this tea again.