Dark Roast 10 Year Aged Tieguanyin

Oolong Tea
Berry, Coffee, Dark Wood, Earth, Sweet, Tar, Char, Raisins, Roasted, Ash, Mineral, Roasted Barley, Chocolate, Jam, Tobacco, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

From Verdant Tea

Limited release aged Tieguanyin from Master Zhang is nostalgic and comforting, evoking fruit cake and incense . . .

Master Zhang is making some of the finest Tieguanyin in the world. Based in Daping village at the very highest peaks of Gande, Anxi. His terraced fields are overgrown with wildflowers, and fed by naturally sweet and clear mountain spring water.

Master Zhang rarely releases such mature aged tieguanyin, but when he does, the result is intensely rewarding. His fresh tieguanyin is complex and intoxicating enough as is, so a slow subtle roasting and aging process over ten years brings this level of complexity to its extreme.

The wet leaf’s aroma is intensely nostalgic, reminiscent of the carved sandalwood beads our Buddhist tea mentors carry, along with notes of rose, cinnamon and vanilla.

The tea steeps out with strong notes of spiced rum-infused fruitcake, with its vaporous aroma and raisin-like sweetness. The texture on the palate is similar to a very clean well-aged pu’er.

Later steepings are similar to marzipan cake with an aftertaste of caramel apple and nag champa incense. We were only able to obtain ten pounds of this limited release, so if you love aged Tieguanyin, this is a great opportunity to stock up.

About Verdant Tea View company

Ahh… it’s so good to sleep in, wake up and not have to go anywhere. It’s unforgivably cold outside, so I’m staying in, making homemade pancakes and drinking this wonderful tea.

Today I added extra leaf and that was a good choice. I used 7 gram for 6 ounces of water. I rinsed the leaves first and waited 1 minute to wake them up. I then steeped for 3/6/10 seconds.

Yummy! The tea tasted amazing from the first steep which was roasty, floral and sweet. By the third steep the tea was full bodied, roasty, floral with notes of caramel and fruit. My unsophisticated palate wasn’t sure what fruit was that. There was a slight astringency developing towards the end of the sip. Very delicious.

I’m going to continue stepping this for the rest of the afternoon and see where else it will take me. :)

Finally posted well… lol When I first posted this note the first paragraph for some unknown reason repeated 4 times and the rest of the note was clumped in one paragraph. I had to rewrite the note to fix that… lol

You’re right about sleeping in and not having anywhere to go being such a wonderful feeling!

Enjoying your couch, miss keychange??

This has been a rough & non-productive week for me, for the most part. My desk is piled high with unfinished business, I did almost nothing in my garden all week. OK, I did pick some asparagus, onions, & lettuces, & today I finally went out there for an hour & weeded the gazebo, where hopefully tomorrow I’ll plant grapes & kiwi’s. But that’s really pretty much it. Allergies suck!

This tea, on the other hand, is a lovely oasis of delight. I sipped it over the afternoon, & I know I should give some description of it, but I’m brain dead, & I just can’t think of anything to say. Except it is lovely.

You can grow kiwis where you are??? Come to think of it, I have no idea what kind of plant produces kiwis. I’d always imagined a palm-like tree…

Terri HarpLady

The Kiwi’s that will grow in the midwest are also referred to as Kiwi Berries. They are smaller, self-pollinating (although I bought 2, just in case), can handle the freezing weather, & aren’t fuzzy like the ones that come from Down Under. You don’t have to peel them, & they are also suppose to be sweeter, & higher in Vitamin C. They grow on a vine, & I planted them before, but didn’t give them a big enough trellis, & didn’t know what I was doing when it came to pruning them, so I accidentally killed the plant, LOL. We live, we learn, right? I still don’t know what I’m doing, but I think I have a better understanding than before.

I’m planting them on a wrought iron gazebo that’s about 7 feet tall. It has 6 trellis panels, so I’m going to alternate red grape, kiwi, something else…still not sure what, but thinking of passion flower, which makes an edible fruit & grows here…then another red grape, another Kiwi, & another of whatever I end up using for the 3rd fruit. The visual image is of course to be able to go into the gazebo & have all these amazing fruits hanging down, plus a little summer shade. Last year I grew cucumbers on some panels. We’re still eating the cultured dills. My basement frig (nicknamed the Laboratory) has at least a dozen full jars still, along with jars of kimchi, sauerkraut, & other culturing experiments. Also on the Gazebo last year I grew various green beans, sugar snap peas. Underneath all that I had salad greens, radishes, turnips, beets, & parnips. I still have leeks in some of the beds.

Your garden sounds amazing! I just tried kiwi berries a few months ago. They’re really good. Good luck with them this year… :-)

Terri HarpLady

Really? I’ve never seen them in the store, so I’m just going by what I read.
It will be a few years before I actually get any fruit, but I have learned that time goes by quickly, & I’ve already put this project off for a few years. If I hadn’t, I’d be eating them this summer…sigh…

Oddly enough, Trader Joe’s here had them. I’m in the Napa Valley, so we always have a great selection of produce in our grocery stores. They did look and taste very much like kiwifruit (only very small, of course). They seemed to go from perfectly ripe to overripe very fast, though…

Terri HarpLady

I’ll have to check the local trader joe’s, just to see if they have them too.

There’s a lot going on here. The first steepings had a lingering sweetness after the forest floor notes of the initial hit. Later on, the sweetness is gone, replaced by, well, I can’t do better than Verdant’s description of ‘nag champa incense.’

This was better than the previously aged Tie Guan Yin I’ve had, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It has that stained wood quality that I’m not a huge fan of, but that note is made up for by its sweet, cedary character. I really understand why sandalwood would be the comparison for it’s spiciness. I made it gongfu, steaped for 30 seconds after five second rinse, and it is sweet and very similar to coffee, but not in a way that you would expect. It has the roasted, sweet berry acidity of coffee, but it tastes more like a coffee berry than anything else. So, surprisingly fruity. I would probably drink this more often in the winter, but not something that I would buy again. I honestly wanted just a sample, but got the full ounce on sale. I’m not sure if I want to steep it a third time though, because the woodsiness is still holding me back.

I think that this tea deserves a higher rating in quality between a 80-95, but in terms of taste, it’s closer to a 65-70 for me because of preference. It might be good western with cream and sugar, though that may be blasphemy. Maybe there are better ways of brewing it that I haven’t figured out yet.

Flavors: Berry, Coffee, Dark Wood, Earth, Sweet, Tar

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Finally busted this one out tonight as I ordered hotel reservation for Indianapolis. Apparently without even knowing, there is a convention happening around two miles from my hotel… so I bought a ticket for that :)
Full day of comics, anime, games, cosplay, and general nerding out!

Anyways, I really enjoy my aged oolong teas because they are quite smooth. This one has a nice roasted taste to it and doesn’t leave a dryness in my throat which makes me very happy! Thankfully I have a decent amount of this so I am able to sip away at it for awhile over the next few months.
p.s. that con is called popcon

I was very excited to try this one! I’ve been easing into aged oolongs and this is was recommended to try out. The dry leaf had a very dry chocolate tone, so I thought it to be a little desserty. They were very small brown and black curls. They looked very dry and crumbly. I placed some in my warmed mini Gawain and gave them a shake. My Gawain gave off the scent of raisins. They was no other smell but raisins, hahah. I washed the leaves once and brewed up a cup. The liquor was a deep crimson and had a very roasted aroma. The flavor was incredibly bold. This was a great morning starter! The initial sip was like coffee grounds and charcoal. This was a robust brew and got me going. I was able to get about six steepings out of my Gawain. The flavor kept consistently bold and grew into a more ashy and mineral flavor as the smoke and roasted tastes diminished. I liked this and helped for a Sunday morning riser!

Flavors: Char, Coffee, Raisins, Roasted

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

This sounds amazing.

It was really good! If you’re a coffee drinker then its very simliar, but its wayyyyy better than coffee ;)

love the smoked grass ashy flavor

Yeah, another tea that just tastes roasty to me. But this one is not as bad as all the other roasty teas I’ve had. I think that if I ever get off the floral kick I’m currently on and go back to roasty oolongs, I’d end up really liking this one. It’s not too overwhelming or anything. It’s a roastiness that I can live with. xD And that I’d end up really liking.
I’m happy to have gotten to try it!
Thank you so much for the sample, The Cookie Lady!

Flavors: Roasted

This tea is a treat. Drink this by itself.

I put on some perpetual groove from 2012 and sat down for a session.

The dry leaf smells amazing. Cocoa. Toffee. It seriously smells like brownie mix. So sweet.

Wet leaf changes to a more roasty bark smell. With some coffee type notes.

Dry leaf is rolled and opens up quite a bit. Single leaf. No stems.

The liquor is amazing. I’m picking up all the smells of the dry and wet leaf combined. Slight astringency. Not much at all. I’m flash brewing in a gaiwan btw.

The liquor is a wonderful dark caramel color. Smells sweet and roasty. Wet leaf is dark dark brown. Dark as a shou puerh. I’m tasting earth, bark, toffee, cocoa, and something I can’t place and it’s driving me crazy. Almost like roasted macadamia nut.

I’ll keep going on this and save this tea for special occasions.

Hmm. So this was not quite as good as I had envisioned, though it was definitely still tasty. I guess I was expecting something with a more aged than roasty profile (or, a more strongly roasty profile), and this is more of a combination. Which I suppose the name indicates, but whatever :P Anyhow, the roastiness here is reasonably gentle, at least in comparison to a few teas I’ve had, and the oolong flavour is good, but a bit mild. I did have problems with astringency in my first cup, but I think I overleafed. I usually use a 3/4 tsp and measure out two per cup, but I grabbed the 1 tsp measure at my parents’ place, and neglected to remember the difference. Whoops. Oh well, lots of tea to try again :)