Dark Roast 10 Year Aged Tieguanyin

Oolong Tea
Ash, Mineral, Roasted Barley, Chocolate, Jam, Raisins, Tobacco, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 6 oz / 168 ml

• “Ahh... it's so good to sleep in, wake up and not have to go anywhere. It's unforgivably cold outside, so I'm staying in, making homemade pancakes and drinking this wonderful tea. Today I added...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “This has been a rough & non-productive week for me, for the most part. My desk is piled high with unfinished business, I did almost nothing in my garden all week. OK, I did pick some asparagus,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2973 tasting notes
  • “There's a lot going on here. The first steepings had a lingering sweetness after the forest floor notes of the initial hit. Later on, the sweetness is gone, replaced by, well, I can't do better...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 142 tasting notes
  • “Terri was amazed at the dry leaf scent. I didn't really detect much of any. That is OK because the wet leaf more than made up for it. While the leaf was still steaming hot, this was mostly just...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1326 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

Limited release aged Tieguanyin from Master Zhang is nostalgic and comforting, evoking fruit cake and incense . . .

Master Zhang is making some of the finest Tieguanyin in the world. Based in Daping village at the very highest peaks of Gande, Anxi. His terraced fields are overgrown with wildflowers, and fed by naturally sweet and clear mountain spring water.

Master Zhang rarely releases such mature aged tieguanyin, but when he does, the result is intensely rewarding. His fresh tieguanyin is complex and intoxicating enough as is, so a slow subtle roasting and aging process over ten years brings this level of complexity to its extreme.

The wet leaf’s aroma is intensely nostalgic, reminiscent of the carved sandalwood beads our Buddhist tea mentors carry, along with notes of rose, cinnamon and vanilla.

The tea steeps out with strong notes of spiced rum-infused fruitcake, with its vaporous aroma and raisin-like sweetness. The texture on the palate is similar to a very clean well-aged pu’er.

Later steepings are similar to marzipan cake with an aftertaste of caramel apple and nag champa incense. We were only able to obtain ten pounds of this limited release, so if you love aged Tieguanyin, this is a great opportunity to stock up.
sandalwood
rose
cinnamon
vanilla
fruitcake
marzipan
caramel

About Verdant Tea View company

Ahh… it’s so good to sleep in, wake up and not have to go anywhere. It’s unforgivably cold outside, so I’m staying in, making homemade pancakes and drinking this wonderful tea.

Today I added extra leaf and that was a good choice. I used 7 gram for 6 ounces of water. I rinsed the leaves first and waited 1 minute to wake them up. I then steeped for 3/6/10 seconds.

Yummy! The tea tasted amazing from the first steep which was roasty, floral and sweet. By the third steep the tea was full bodied, roasty, floral with notes of caramel and fruit. My unsophisticated palate wasn’t sure what fruit was that. There was a slight astringency developing towards the end of the sip. Very delicious.

I’m going to continue stepping this for the rest of the afternoon and see where else it will take me. :)

Kamyria

Finally posted well… lol When I first posted this note the first paragraph for some unknown reason repeated 4 times and the rest of the note was clumped in one paragraph. I had to rewrite the note to fix that… lol

keychange

You’re right about sleeping in and not having anywhere to go being such a wonderful feeling!

TheTeaFairy

Enjoying your couch, miss keychange??

This has been a rough & non-productive week for me, for the most part. My desk is piled high with unfinished business, I did almost nothing in my garden all week. OK, I did pick some asparagus, onions, & lettuces, & today I finally went out there for an hour & weeded the gazebo, where hopefully tomorrow I’ll plant grapes & kiwi’s. But that’s really pretty much it. Allergies suck!

This tea, on the other hand, is a lovely oasis of delight. I sipped it over the afternoon, & I know I should give some description of it, but I’m brain dead, & I just can’t think of anything to say. Except it is lovely.

CharlotteZero

You can grow kiwis where you are??? Come to think of it, I have no idea what kind of plant produces kiwis. I’d always imagined a palm-like tree…

Terri HarpLady

The Kiwi’s that will grow in the midwest are also referred to as Kiwi Berries. They are smaller, self-pollinating (although I bought 2, just in case), can handle the freezing weather, & aren’t fuzzy like the ones that come from Down Under. You don’t have to peel them, & they are also suppose to be sweeter, & higher in Vitamin C. They grow on a vine, & I planted them before, but didn’t give them a big enough trellis, & didn’t know what I was doing when it came to pruning them, so I accidentally killed the plant, LOL. We live, we learn, right? I still don’t know what I’m doing, but I think I have a better understanding than before.

I’m planting them on a wrought iron gazebo that’s about 7 feet tall. It has 6 trellis panels, so I’m going to alternate red grape, kiwi, something else…still not sure what, but thinking of passion flower, which makes an edible fruit & grows here…then another red grape, another Kiwi, & another of whatever I end up using for the 3rd fruit. The visual image is of course to be able to go into the gazebo & have all these amazing fruits hanging down, plus a little summer shade. Last year I grew cucumbers on some panels. We’re still eating the cultured dills. My basement frig (nicknamed the Laboratory) has at least a dozen full jars still, along with jars of kimchi, sauerkraut, & other culturing experiments. Also on the Gazebo last year I grew various green beans, sugar snap peas. Underneath all that I had salad greens, radishes, turnips, beets, & parnips. I still have leeks in some of the beds.

CharlotteZero

Your garden sounds amazing! I just tried kiwi berries a few months ago. They’re really good. Good luck with them this year… :-)

Terri HarpLady

Really? I’ve never seen them in the store, so I’m just going by what I read.
It will be a few years before I actually get any fruit, but I have learned that time goes by quickly, & I’ve already put this project off for a few years. If I hadn’t, I’d be eating them this summer…sigh…

CharlotteZero

Oddly enough, Trader Joe’s here had them. I’m in the Napa Valley, so we always have a great selection of produce in our grocery stores. They did look and taste very much like kiwifruit (only very small, of course). They seemed to go from perfectly ripe to overripe very fast, though…

Terri HarpLady

I’ll have to check the local trader joe’s, just to see if they have them too.

There’s a lot going on here. The first steepings had a lingering sweetness after the forest floor notes of the initial hit. Later on, the sweetness is gone, replaced by, well, I can’t do better than Verdant’s description of ‘nag champa incense.’

Terri was amazed at the dry leaf scent. I didn’t really detect much of any. That is OK because the wet leaf more than made up for it. While the leaf was still steaming hot, this was mostly just dark roasted notes but as it cooled a moment it made a magical transition. This aroma of spices and a fruit (maybe apple?) came forth. It reminded me of an incense I burned years ago. I don’t recall ever smelling sandalwood before that that is the description Verdant uses. I’ll agree because I don’t know better :)

I have never had aged on purpose tieguanyin so I did not know what to expect. The taste is far smoother, silky even, than I expected. It has a little side tongue tingle but no harsh edges. The roast and the oolong notes are mild and very well behaved. The aftertaste is sweet like a mix of honey and raisin.

I am not normally a big fan of dark roasted oolong but this was a wonderfully surprising cup. I very much enjoyed it and am looking forward to more steeps. Thanks Terri for sharing.

Terri HarpLady

You’re welcome! Ironically, I drank this same tea this afternoon. I just haven’t gotten around to posting about it yet :)

This is my first aged/roasted oolong full disclosure. The first few infusions smelled and tasted exactly like a dark roast starbucks coffee whether that is a good or bad thing is up to your preferences, I found it to be nice and unique in tea. Over subsequent infusions I tasted more ash and incense. A little later on I could actually taste the TGY which I was relieved because in mind roasting in general coffee or tea should be used as a tool to build the layers of flavor, not the main flavor component unless you are trying to hide bad tea/coffee. Finally it finished off minerally like a wuyi.

Overall not a bad tea Verdant usually never lets down(roasted laoshan oolong was an exception maybe because I had such high hopes) I would not repurchase, once again I am a poor college student so was it worth the +$12/oz probably not but it was an nice change of pace and a unique experience and I will gladly finish off the bag and look forward to exploring the realm of roasted/aged oolongs.

Flavors: Ash, Mineral, Roasted Barley