Hand Picked Spring Tieguanyin (2014)

Oolong Tea
Butter, Floral, Smooth, Cut grass, Vegetal, Wheat, Cream, Peach, Flowers, Perfume, Honeysuckle, Whiskey
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sarsonator

From Verdant Tea

Perfect Spring Tieguanyin is a celebration of all the flowers and smells of the spring- lilac, fresh young grass, warm sunny fields. These aromas confidently unfold on a creamy rich base. The aftertaste lingers like sweet grass and honeysuckle. There is something sensual about this tea in its heady florals and creamy texture. It is nostalgic for young romance, stolen night walks through gardens.

The flavor continues to grow in complexity with key lime pie and lemongrass citrus, and buttery kettle corn. This tea steeps out for hours, yielding a full day or sipping. Enjoy Tieguanyin at the peak of its freshness and see what Anxi and Master Zhang strive for in the craft of tieguanyin oolong tea.

About Verdant Tea View company

I’ve been sampling a lot of Verdant’s teas over the past few days (in a frantic attempt to decide what to order for their Black Friday deals!). This was one of the teas in my 5 for 5 sampler. It’s a very classic oolong, on the greener side. The strongest note I noticed in the aroma was floral; I often compare a note like this to orchid, but Verdant’s comparison of lilac works well. The liquor was a beautiful pale green, and the taste was light and creamy, with a very similar floral note coming through in the sip and in the aftertaste. (There was also a subtle hint of something juicy beneath the floral notes, maybe a slightly citrus tang?) I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to, because I’m such a newbie when it comes to appreciating the greener oolongs.

I won’t be ordering more of this particular tea just yet, since I think I’d be better able to appreciate it in the spring or summer. (I tend to be on a roasted oolong kick this time of year.) But this is a lovely tea. It makes me want to explore Tieguanyin more in the future!

Got my Verdant order today, just bought this tea with the giftcard I got from Their BF/CM sale. Will be a long time before I run out of this one. One of the better floral teas I’ve had. Really enjoying it tonight! ^^

Tastes like green tea… maybe I don’t know oolongs after all!

Flavors: Cut grass, Vegetal, Wheat

Lewis and Clark TTB #9

I’m not absolutely certain this is 2014, but it was received this year, so I’m pretty sure it is.

This tea has a rich, complex nose and taste. The dominant taste is grass, but there are overtones of veggie, fruit, and spice. Rich, buttery full mouth-feel. There is a hint of bitterness in the finish, but it barely detracts from this well-made tea. Second steep is still powerful, but less subtle and a bit too astringent for my taste

190 °F / 87 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

(Backlog from a couple of days ago)

Thanks to Sarsonator who generously sent me a huge quantity, I was able to sip on this wonderful oolong during the week end.

I’ve had this TGY from previous harvests before. Verdant does oolong very well…

It’s a beautiful tea, very flavourful and what I have come to expect from higher quality TGY.

Creamy, buttery and slightly nutty. It smells like popping kernels!

Nice floral mouthfeel going on. It has also a refreshing citrusy finish.

It lasted many steeps gongfu style.

I made my session extra special by inaugurating new teawares that I love very much. (Allan, looking at you, enabler!!!)

Here’s a pic:

Sarsonator

Yay, so glad this one found a loving home!

Fjellrev

Love that cup!

From the Lewis and Clark TTB.

Brewed gongfu-style with gaiwan. Steeping times: 3, 3, 3, 3, 6, 6, 6, 6.

I haven’t had many Tieguanyin’s, so picking out the complexities was difficult for me. Trying to go beyond “floral” here.

The leaf has a flora aroma, an early spring air filled with the delicate fragrances of purple, light blue, dark blue, pink, and yellow flowers. I imagine bumblebees and honeybees, dusted with pollen, flitting from flowerbed to flowerbed. The liquor is pale yellow, clear, and bright. Full-bodied yet light. The texture becomes creamier and more buttery with every infusion, and the taste changes to candy sweet, evocative of candied flowers.

The tightly rolled light green leaves quickly unfurl. Each one is surprisingly small and thin for a lightly oxidized oolong.

Boiling 1 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML

Lewis & Clarke TTB

Another sample that I pulled out of the TTB to try later before sending it on. Looks similar to other green oolongs I’ve seen – tightly rolled and yellow/green in color. Dry scent is sweet with strong peachy notes and a bit of cream. I steeped mine for 3 minutes at 190 degrees.

This tastes similar to other green oolongs – slightly vegetal with a creamy texture and nice peach notes. However, it’s pretty strong on the floral taste, which does not make my mouth happy. It’s almost perfumey in the aftertaste. :(

Flavors: Cream, Floral, Peach, Vegetal

Cheri

I forget how much you dislike the floral, because I love the floral.

Wonderfully fresh with mild sweet notes.

Flavors: Flowers

Marco Lewis TTB

Soooo good! Floral, perfumey, a hint of vegetal if you squint your eyes hard enough. You can really taste the difference when you’re drinking high quality tea!

Flavors: Floral, Perfume

Teaave

Hi There,
We at Tea Ave is about all things Oolong, www.teaave.com, we would like you invite you to sign up for free sampling of Oolongs along with a secret gift before we launch on Nov, 2014 via inbox message.

We are looking out for tea lovers to share the passion and taste some great Oolongs we have to offer including Tie Guan Yin.

After all, a great cup of Oolong will just make your day even better :)

My first Verdant tea. When I opened the package, I got a scent of honeysuckle. It comes out more brewed. The flavour is nicely sweet and floral. There is a bit more of a vanilla or cream flavour as it cools.

Flavors: Honeysuckle

Stephanie

Wow, you are just now trying Verdant? I’m shocked!

Lariel of Lórien

I was waiting for the 5 for 5 sampler to come back.

Stephanie