Hand Picked Spring Tieguanyin (2014)

Oolong Tea
Floral, Green Beans, Nutty, Osmanthus, Vegetal, Walnut, Butter, Smooth, Cut grass, Wheat, Cream, Peach, Flowers, Perfume, Honeysuckle, Whiskey
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sarsonator

From Verdant Tea

Perfect Spring Tieguanyin is a celebration of all the flowers and smells of the spring- lilac, fresh young grass, warm sunny fields. These aromas confidently unfold on a creamy rich base. The aftertaste lingers like sweet grass and honeysuckle. There is something sensual about this tea in its heady florals and creamy texture. It is nostalgic for young romance, stolen night walks through gardens.

The flavor continues to grow in complexity with key lime pie and lemongrass citrus, and buttery kettle corn. This tea steeps out for hours, yielding a full day or sipping. Enjoy Tieguanyin at the peak of its freshness and see what Anxi and Master Zhang strive for in the craft of tieguanyin oolong tea.

About Verdant Tea View company

I drank this one (#22) yesterday with the same method that I used on the Early Spring: lazy man’s gongfu, dumping each of my short gaiwan steeps into a big cup to drink. I will say I let this one steep a bit longer each time than the last one, mostly because I was concerned I wasn’t getting enough out of the leaves. Whether that is to blame for my tasting is unknown (we are talking 10 second instead of 5 second steeps, still increasing by 5 seconds each time, though).

Basically, I found this one to be kind of lackluster, especially in comparison to the Early Spring from the same year. It was less floral, less sweet, less buttery, less spectacular. Way more vegetal. It was a reasonably tasty, fine, servicable cup of tea, but I expect mind blowing from these oolongs. I thought I had some 2013 spring picking, but apparently I only had the early spring picking? I don’t quite know what’s up. Only the 2011 picking is in my ratings. I did have a few different Autumn pickings from previous years, so maybe that’s what I am thinking of. (What do you know, I found my receipt from spring of 2013 and it only has the early spring and the previous year’s autumn pickings)

Anyway, provisional ratings but I will definitely have to try this one again. Equusfell if you are reading this you definitely have to try the early spring (you can come get a sample from me if you want); I hadn’t tried this one and didn’t realize that this picking may not be as great as it should be.

Equusfell

Yup. It was fine, just didn’t blow my mind. And I thought I was crazy! Can my reward for finishing comps be gong fu of ALL THE OOLONGS? My list is just getting longer, dang it!

Okay, I’ve held off reviewing this tea, even though I’ve had the sample for a while. I just felt that the first time I tried it it tasted like simple green water. Maybe I just don’t get it? I love me some high green oolongs, and I expected this one to be fabulous, so I thought maybe it was just the condition of my mouth that day that biased me.
Well, I’ve since obtained a variable temp kettle and learned to increase my leaf/water ratio, so I’m doing a little better this time around, but not by much.
The smell of the dry leaves is a slightly green sweet of a typical green oolong, with maybe a hint of floral something. When brewed, I finally get the lilac smell, it is definitely lilac, but far away. Maybe I had been looking for the in-your-face pungency of a real lilac bush before?
The taste is just fine. That’s my slightly disappointed reaction. It’s pleasant enough, but my favorite possible oolong character is the lingering sweetness on your tongue. This linger a little, I guess, like I just ate a raw green bean, but is not overwhelmingly sweet. It just tastes sort of like a really thin veggie liquid. I can see how other oolongs I have loved in the past could boil down to this, after many many steepings. I guess I’m just not that impressed, despite badly wanting to be.
There is a slight floral character on the sip when it cools, but not the kind of candied rose petal floral that I so love in floral scented oolongs. I would use the florist’s shop analogy again, but in a more mediocre way than with the Magnolia Oolong. It may also be that this tea must have been picked nearly a year ago at this point. Maybe I will do Verdant’s 5 for 5 again after the new stock has come in.
I will admit that it is getting sweeter (like french green beans now) when it is quite cool. Maybe I will cold brew this and be happier?

Flavors: Floral, Green Beans

A high quality TKY for sure but not as complex as I would have hoped. The leaves are surely hand picked and judging but the calming effect I would say this is probably gaoshan cha or close to anyway. I got the generic basic TKY flavor with a little more sweetness and a little less roast as you would guess from the appearance but just no big shockers here maybe my interests have just swayed. I would defiantly drink this tea again maybe seasonally in spring when it is fresh again but I can’t see myself buying it.

Didn’t peak my interest enough personally but if you like lighter TKY this is definitely your tea. It was faintly floral with a very light vegetal sweetness like celery and a slight dry nutty finish like raw walnuts.

High quality for sure and from a fairly high altitude with little to no roast to really show off the freshness but just didn’t wow enough to warrant purchasing.

Flavors: Nutty, Osmanthus, Vegetal, Walnut

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Definitely an oolong. I wasn’t sure at first because the package doesn’t say so but based on the leaf and the taste… yea it’s an oolong. What an amazing oolong! Hints of coconut. A slight sweet flavor I can’t quite define. Grassy, earthy goodness! Second steep with same leaves. Each time I smell and then sip I think of a green house. Different floral scents and flavors

Ost

Love this one!!

I’ve been sampling a lot of Verdant’s teas over the past few days (in a frantic attempt to decide what to order for their Black Friday deals!). This was one of the teas in my 5 for 5 sampler. It’s a very classic oolong, on the greener side. The strongest note I noticed in the aroma was floral; I often compare a note like this to orchid, but Verdant’s comparison of lilac works well. The liquor was a beautiful pale green, and the taste was light and creamy, with a very similar floral note coming through in the sip and in the aftertaste. (There was also a subtle hint of something juicy beneath the floral notes, maybe a slightly citrus tang?) I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to, because I’m such a newbie when it comes to appreciating the greener oolongs.

I won’t be ordering more of this particular tea just yet, since I think I’d be better able to appreciate it in the spring or summer. (I tend to be on a roasted oolong kick this time of year.) But this is a lovely tea. It makes me want to explore Tieguanyin more in the future!

Got my Verdant order today, just bought this tea with the giftcard I got from Their BF/CM sale. Will be a long time before I run out of this one. One of the better floral teas I’ve had. Really enjoying it tonight! ^^

Tastes like green tea… maybe I don’t know oolongs after all!

Flavors: Cut grass, Vegetal, Wheat

Lewis and Clark TTB #9

I’m not absolutely certain this is 2014, but it was received this year, so I’m pretty sure it is.

This tea has a rich, complex nose and taste. The dominant taste is grass, but there are overtones of veggie, fruit, and spice. Rich, buttery full mouth-feel. There is a hint of bitterness in the finish, but it barely detracts from this well-made tea. Second steep is still powerful, but less subtle and a bit too astringent for my taste

190 °F / 87 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

(Backlog from a couple of days ago)

Thanks to Sarsonator who generously sent me a huge quantity, I was able to sip on this wonderful oolong during the week end.

I’ve had this TGY from previous harvests before. Verdant does oolong very well…

It’s a beautiful tea, very flavourful and what I have come to expect from higher quality TGY.

Creamy, buttery and slightly nutty. It smells like popping kernels!

Nice floral mouthfeel going on. It has also a refreshing citrusy finish.

It lasted many steeps gongfu style.

I made my session extra special by inaugurating new teawares that I love very much. (Allan, looking at you, enabler!!!)

Here’s a pic:

Sarsonator

Yay, so glad this one found a loving home!

Fjellrev

Love that cup!

From the Lewis and Clark TTB.

Brewed gongfu-style with gaiwan. Steeping times: 3, 3, 3, 3, 6, 6, 6, 6.

I haven’t had many Tieguanyin’s, so picking out the complexities was difficult for me. Trying to go beyond “floral” here.

The leaf has a flora aroma, an early spring air filled with the delicate fragrances of purple, light blue, dark blue, pink, and yellow flowers. I imagine bumblebees and honeybees, dusted with pollen, flitting from flowerbed to flowerbed. The liquor is pale yellow, clear, and bright. Full-bodied yet light. The texture becomes creamier and more buttery with every infusion, and the taste changes to candy sweet, evocative of candied flowers.

The tightly rolled light green leaves quickly unfurl. Each one is surprisingly small and thin for a lightly oxidized oolong.

Boiling 1 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML