Black Tea Merlot

Black Currant, Floral, Licorice, Plums
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

• “I had 3 cups of this so far today. I wanted to drink a bit last night of actual WINE or BEER or SOMETHING because it was a doo-zee of a day but I didn't, so, I started today with this one...and...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “This was in my December AMODA Tea box and it pretty much made me delightfully happy because I've been wanting to try these out but there's a hefty price to them that just hasn't left me inclined to...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4939 tasting notes
  • “A very nice and unexpected tea. I have tried many wine flavored teas but this one somehow rises above the others. Unlike those other wine flavored teas I have had - this one is not artificially...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “Tried once more, just not a fan of this one. Thanks for the sample, *Azzrian*! Forgot that before. I think I am just weird about plum flavors. Though I believe I steeped this for less time...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1199 tasting notes

From Vintage TeaWorks

Inspired by Merlot, we blended natural
ingredients to create a black tea blend that is velvety and robust. The
hints of black currant, plums, licorice and violets make drinking this
tea quite a sensual experience. (2.5 oz. / 70.9g – about 25 cups)

About Merlot – Merlot has gotten a bad wrap in the past few years, but it is still an ace in our book. This medium to full-bodied red wine has a soft and sensual side that makes it a delight to sip. Its tannins are often described as velvety and the wines are often compared to plum, violets, black currants, prunes, and tobacco.

Tea and Food Pairings – Pair our Black Tea Merlot with Indian inspired cuisine, Latin
 American fare or start the day strong with this robust blend.

Ingredients – Black tea, black currant fruit, licorice pieces, blue malva petals, natural flavorings.

About Vintage TeaWorks View company

I had 3 cups of this so far today. I wanted to drink a bit last night of actual WINE or BEER or SOMETHING because it was a doo-zee of a day but I didn’t, so, I started today with this one…and LOTS of it! LOL :)

Gah! I really need to try these soon!

Ellyn

I was just looking at their website. The teas look AMAZING!

Ruby Woo Scarlett

Haha awesome concept, and I don’t even like wine :D

Geoffrey Norman

I’m curious about their wine tea line. Heard they made quite the splash at World Tea East this year.

mrmopar

i think i am going to have to get this one. sound very interesting.

This was in my December AMODA Tea box and it pretty much made me delightfully happy because I’ve been wanting to try these out but there’s a hefty price to them that just hasn’t left me inclined to order something that i don’t know if i’ll love. wow that sentence just hurt my head. punctuation much? yeaaaah…

so anyway, first off, this is a really pretty tea. I love the purple flowers in it. And man did this smell like wine! Now i prefer white wine over red, but I have been known to enjoy a good red wine from time to time. This tea smelled exactly like the last little bit that’s always left in the bottle no matter how long you hold it upside down heh.

How does it taste? Like grapes…but with a hint of…spice? hmm not sure if that makes sense.i can taste the currants and the brew is smooth. This tea makes me want to try some of the others to see how they compare. I don’t think i’d drink this everyday but I’d absolutely drink this from time to time.

The Purrfect Cup

Try it with something chocolate!

oooh sounds like a plan. I have a bunch left so i’ll try that next brew :)

A very nice and unexpected tea.
Unlike those other wine flavored teas I have had – this one is not artificially flavored and you sure can taste the difference!
Thank you LiberTEAS for sending me a sample of this!
There is a deep base that is quite excellent, the mixture of the black currant and licorice are perfection and combine to create something quite unique and tasty! Note, I dislike licorice with a passion yet the licorice tastes nothing as you would expect in this masterful blend!
This is my first tea ever from Vintage TeaWorks and I do hope to try more in the near future!
ETA: Only downside to this one is that it did not re-steep very well for me.

Kittenna

I’m finding that my most loathed tea ingredients (anise/fennel/licorice) can actually work quite well in some blends, it just requires a delicate hand! I’m thinking of Butterbeer and some Verdant blends here.

Azzrian

Agreed! Now only if I found that the same happened with lemongrass!
I think that when lemongrass is used it is usually a main ingredient whereas licorice / anise seem to be more backdrops and complimenting flavors.

Kittenna

I think the key is definitely having the ingredients as supporting flavours. Often I think they are made to feature rather prominently in a tea, which is too much. I’m not the biggest fan of strong lemongrass flavours in tea (although I love it in thai food!) but have had some teas where it works quite well.

Azzrian

thats funny as I don’t mind it at all in food yet I can’t stand it in tea. Perhaps I could find that I do like it okay in tea but I just don’t want to risk the tea funds to figure that out!

I really want to try the teas from vintage tea works. They sound really intererestin

Azzrian

I was surprised when I got a sample of it today from LiberTEAS – just the day before yesterday I came across them on Facebook and had never heard of them before! I thought it looked right up my alley! I will have to consider an order with them soon!

JacquelineM

This company is on my to-try list, too :)

Azzrian

I don’t know if 6 months ago when I first started drinking loose leaf that I could have appreciated the wonderful qualities of this one. What I love is how much I have evolved as a tea drinker and how I can pick up on the different flavors in tea now. Had someone handed me this back then and said it has wine notes I would have looked at them like they were crazy. However after having ice wine tea and muscat I really understand the more complex flavors in this tea.

Tried once more, just not a fan of this one.

Thanks for the sample, Azzrian! Forgot that before.

I think I am just weird about plum flavors. Though I believe I steeped this for less time today, so I am actually kind of getting black currant too, but the plum and grape is not suitable for my tastes.

fermataleaf

Woah… that line seems fantastic. My shopping list keeps getting bigger DX

Azzrian

Glad you at least got to try it and you are very welcome :)

momo

I like the puerh cabernet one the most so far :D

Even though it’s 2:41 pm here, it’s still very morning-ish to me, because we were up late and I still feel sluggish. I need black tea!

I don’t know if this will do the trick, but, it’s black tea, and it’s what I had sitting on my tea counter waiting for me to try. So, I grabbed it and am hopeful that it will help bring me to a better state of wakefulness.

The aroma is amazing from the moment I first open the canister. It smells very much like wine. Very grape-y, but with a distinct note of fermentation. Brewed, the tea smells very nice also, like black tea with a hint of fermented grape. Hints of floral seem to dance across the surface as well.

Wow! This is nice. It is certainly “velvety and robust” … it has a lovely black tea base that is strong and deliciously smooth. The merlot flavoring is sweet and has a very intriguing depth of “dark fruits”: grape, currant, and plum. It also has a hint of licorice in this, not a strong flavor (for those of you who do not like licorice, I don’t think that the flavor here would disturb your enjoyment of this tea), instead, it is more like a distant flavor that seems to enhance the overall wine-like experience.

Very enjoyable, indeed, and I do feel a bit more alert than I did when I started this tasting note!

Sil Sample Sipdown
I’ve been hanging on to the last bit of this for awhile, & today was the day. This is my after breakfast tea, kind of a morning dessert, if you will, & I’m enjoying it, to be sure.

The dry leaf is lovely, with little flowers & kind of a purple-red cast to the leaf. Steeped, it is a nice fruity tasting blend. I’ve never drank Merlot, so I have no idea what it tastes like, but this makes for a tasty cup.

This is the first tea I’ve tried from Vintage TeaWorks, & if it is representative of their other teas, I hope to give them a try someday too. Thanks Sil :)

TeaEqualsBliss

Oh how I love this one! The others are GRAND as well!

Terri HarpLady

Good to know, T=B :)

YAY! glad you liked it. my ONLY problem with the teaworks was the large sizes when i haven’t tried them before. heh

Terri HarpLady

What, no sample sizes?

nopers…they package them in tubes like wine bottles – 3oz+ for the tea heh

Now I’ve never been a huge red wine fan. My tastes run to the sweeter side of things. So I wasn’t super sure how I would feel about this one. But I got up very late this morning (after being out super late last night). I figured this would be a bit of a hair of the dog after all the wines last night. I was correct.

My first reaction after opening the container this tea arrived in was holy grapes! Yet I saw no grapes. What I did see were beautiful blue malva petals and some lovely black tea. So I set the kettle and waited and enjoyed the grape smell as I waited. This scent amplified as I poured the water over the leaves. It really began to smell like Merlot! While I let it steep I tossed a chocolate muffin top in the toaster oven because a) I was hungry and b) hello red wine + chocolate tends to = awesome. I was not mistaken!

This tea was smooth, yet slightly tart and full of flavor. I must admit the currant and licorice (not a licorice fan usually) played very well together. Everything worked well together…so well that my muffin top is gone and I need a refill on my tea!

This is probably my favorite Vintage Teaworks tea. Nice and smooth, a hint of licorice, and just slightly sweet.

Dry leaf aroma: Black currants with notes of plum and a delicate floral undertone.
Dry leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/siUfXtFcBu/

Wet leaf aroma: Very much like the dry leaf aroma – black currants and floral.
Wet leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/siUlZYlcB8/

Preparation: Brewed western style in a glass infuser mug.

First steeping: 4 minutes at 195 degrees. The freshly brewed liquor has a delicate floral aroma. While the cup is hot the dominate flavor is black currants, with hints of licorice, plum and a mild floral note. As the cup cools the floral note becomes fainter and there is a tart aftertaste.

Flavors: Black Currant, Floral, Licorice, Plums

Cameron B.

Sounds tasty! :D

Blodeuyn

It wasn’t quite what I expected but I liked it. :)

For some time this company and these tea’s have intrigued me, and I wanted really badly to sample the tea’s, but for some reason never placed an order. My opportunity to try a couple of these finally came up in a recent swap.

I’ve had the merlot twice. My first sampling of it yesterday didn’t work out. While the leaf in the bag smelled sweet, it didn’t translate to flavour. That was my fault. I think I over-leafed and water temp was too hot. Yesterday’s cup was disappointing.

I tried again today, and decided to let the water cool a bit longer and used less leaf. I also added a drop or 2 of agave, just to see if that would pull out more flavour. Today’s brew was a lot more flavourful. I definitely got the grape/wine coming as the cup continued to cool down. The problem today was the agave that I thought would help, but in fact made the brew too sweet.

So maybe third time will be the charm, and hopefully tomorrow’s sipdown of this I’ll get it right. I guess I should bust out the thermometer for proper brewing temp and skip the sweetener.

Thanks to looseTman for providing me with a sample.

Cameron B.

I’ve been very curious about these too, since stumbling upon the website. Especially the white tea riesling version. Good to know they’re at least decent. :D

scribbles

It’s pretty good. I’m glad that I finally got to try it via swap rather than purchase.