Pu-erh Cabernet

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “This is pretty freaking amazing...on several levels! Let me start off by saying I'm on my 4th cup of the day! The first I did 2 infusions of the same leaves and they were both tasty! ...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “There were comments yesterday (?) about how wonderful swaps are because you get to try teas that you normally wouldn't choose for yourself. Sometimes you find these amazing teas, because someone...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 729 tasting notes
  • “Wow! OK... so this is AWESOME! Normally, when I brew a pu-erh, I'm kind of ... hesitant. I'm usually hesitant to even brew it. And after it's brewed, I'm hesitant to taste it. I'm getting...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4391 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Azzrian for including this in my special Christmas package last month! My goodness it is blended pu-erfection yesIjustsaidthat. It really does taste like a spiced or mulled wine....” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes

From Vintage TeaWorks

Inspired by Cabernet Sauvignon, we blended
 natural ingredients to create a Pu-erh tea blend that is full-bodied,
 dark and decadent with hints of black cherry, clove, vanilla and spice.
 Like Cabernet, Pu-erh is one of the few teas in the world that ages
 well.

About Vintage TeaWorks View company

This is pretty freaking amazing…on several levels! Let me start off by saying I’m on my 4th cup of the day! The first I did 2 infusions of the same leaves and they were both tasty!

Starting with a ‘fresh’ batch for reviewing purposes…

The aroma…is REALLY comparable to Cabernet! It’s pretty freaky yet cool!
This is considered their Dark and Decadent of their flavor choices and I would agree with that.

This is an amazingly-flavored Pu-Erh! It’s well rounded – from start to finish – but the flavors mixed in – are RIGHT ON! The Cinnamon is potent but totally makes sense and contributes to the overall Cabernet-feel…drier wine type ‘happy juice’ if you will.

The cherry and vanilla combo are lovely…very well done and combine nicely with each other. There is a bit of a floral aspect to it, too, which is pleasant and true. This is really yummy and special!

LiberTEAS

I really liked this one too. I was very surprised at just how good it tastes. I don’t know how much the flavor replicates a “cabernet” because I’m not so much a wine person, but, if cabernet tastes like that, I wouldn’t mind sipping some.

Finn88

Ooh wine! That’s awesome…antioxidants without the alcohol…

There were comments yesterday (?) about how wonderful swaps are because you get to try teas that you normally wouldn’t choose for yourself. Sometimes you find these amazing teas, because someone else chose it. This is one of those teas.
I don’t drink wine – I’ve had a couple of other “wine” teas and didn’t really care for them. I would never have bought this, asked for a sample of this, I was actually a little hesitant to try it.
WOW this is FANTASTIC. To me it’s not really wine, but it’s sweet and a little grape esque – maybe a little cherry – hint of vanilla – strange, but in a good way. I really really like this. I would order more of this if I had the opportunity – it’s going on the shopping list.
Thank you so much ifjuly for pushing me outside my comfort zone, into an amazing tea.

__Morgana__

Sounds awesome!

TheTeaFairy

Yay for new discoveries :-)

Wow! OK… so this is AWESOME!

Normally, when I brew a pu-erh, I’m kind of … hesitant. I’m usually hesitant to even brew it. And after it’s brewed, I’m hesitant to taste it. I’m getting much better, because I’ve found so many wonderful pu-erh teas that I’ve not only enjoyed but even loved. But, those first few experiences when all I tasted was dirt and fish and just… yeah… all that still comes back to me when I smell that earthiness of the pu-erh.

Here, I do smell the pu-erh, so, yeah, I was hesitant… until I took that tentative first sip. and WOW! This tastes nothing at all like those first few experiences with pu-erh way back when. There is some earthiness to the flavor, but it sort of melds with the other flavors in such a way that it is not in the least bit off-putting.

What I’m trying to say here is that if you’ve tried pu-erh and did not like it because of the earthy/peaty/fishy kind of taste … TRY THIS. You’ll be amazed!

I taste a full-flavored tea, with notes of sweet cherry, warm cinnamon and clove, hints of soft vanilla, and even the faintest note of cocoa in the distance. This is where that earthiness sort of melds … into the cocoa, tasting more like a deep, rich chocolate note than anything. Amazing. So VERY amazing, at that.

I have been SO impressed with everything that I’ve tried thus far from Vintage TeaWorks. I LOVE this company!

My goodness it is blended pu-erfection yesIjustsaidthat.

It really does taste like a spiced or mulled wine. Sweet deep berry notes that taste like they will stain your lips. How decadent. Thank you so much for sharing!

Azzrian

So glad you loved it!

The DJBooth

oh man that sounds awesome

DaisyChubb

It’s VERY awesome! Definitely have a future order planned with Vintage Teaworks :D

Thank you so much for the generous samples of these teas, Azzrian! Though I already bought the riesling one because I was sent a free shipping code for leaving it sitting in my cart. So much for the no more buying thing.

Out of the 6 wines Vintage TeaWorks used as inspiration, Cabernet is my favorite. Out of the 6 teas Vintage TeaWorks used in these blends, puerh is my least favorite for flavored tea.

It smells really good…rich and spicy.

And the taste? It’s quite the hybrid between tea and the flavor of wine. And my problem has always been that it seems like low quality puerh ends up in blends, and then brings out fishiness and whatever else that doesn’t match. Not here. I can barely even taste it. There’s a slight earthiness still present but it blends in with everything else beautifully.

The flavor is mostly blackberry and cherry, with a hint of vanilla, cinnamon, and clove. Pretty much just like an awesome cabernet, but far more mellow.

Definitely going for a second steep as soon as I finish this one, this is fantastic.

Second steep just slightly different from the first. It kind of loses the berry. Still, it’s not bad, just more obviously tea and more subtle in the wine flavor.

Got this tea for Christmas along with the Merlot and Green Tea one.

I was quite surprised by this tea – it’s very complex. I have to say the smell kinda put me off as it has alot of cherry to it. The flavor still has the cherry but it’s more of a smooth taste. I didn’t get any cinnamon coming out for this steep so maybe this cup just had more cherry in it. I really like cinnamon so hope next time will reveal it.

I can’t wait to try it again and resteep (didn’t think to save my leaves the first time). I’m not quite sure if it’ll make my repurchase list but it was definitely worth getting.

I’d definitely recommend this if you like darker complex teas that are smooth.

Leeflea

Thank you as I’m dying to try this type of tea. I like your saying about the cherry undertones. I’ll check with my supplier and see if he has it. I’m much obliged. Lee

Leeflea

Oh, pardon me, I thought this was a tea instead of a wine which is even more the better. I am sipping some eau de vie framboise at the moment. Are you familiar with it? Lee’

darby

That Lee! I was trying to find this post earlier today and couldn’t! Oh yes, this is tea. They have a series of 6 (I think) teas that are all based around a type of wine.
If you want, I can swap you some as I have plenty left.

Leeflea

Good it’s tea then. Thanks but I’ve nothing to swap except the exotic teas I got from my friend at the Tea Embassy in Austin, TX. If you’d like to know the names of them, which I don’t, let me know and if it’s acceptable to you, we’ll see what we can work out. I have 54 pks. RSVP. Lee

darby

Sure, I’m open. I’ll follow you – you’ll have to follow me so we can message each other.

Bonnie

Menghai 2009 Red Aura Pu-erh has a very smooth Cabernet type flavor naturally. Almost something between that and a Paso Robles Zinfandel which is more bright, ripe and jammy to me.
It’s quite inexpensive and delicious. 100 gr is around $8.

Thank you to Darby for sharing a bit of this with me! I opened my little sample pouch and went “mmmmmmm”. The dry leaf is also beautiful. The aroma is kind of fruity with light notes of chai. Cherry is very present in this blend and blends very well with the earthy pu erh. There is light cinnamon\clove notes . The vanilla is in the aftertaste and smooths things over. I really liked this blend. Very unique and tasty. Thanks again Darby!

This is pretty interesting. It’s very cherry (and maybe cinnamon?) and slightly pu-erh. Pretty good. I’d even suggest it to people who aren’t fans of pu-erh, just to give it a try.

I had been wanting to try this ever since I heard about it, but I’m really not one to buy big supply of something I haven’t even tasted yet….. Then swoops in ifjuly with a generous sample! That girl, I tell you…. :)

This tea is absolutely amazing…. winey but with spices. I can see myself absolutely loving this in the winter, as the cup in my hands felt like a mulled wine treat.
The pu-erh is so lovely here, and the liquor is beautiful.
I’m so excited that I got to try this one (and still have a bunch for more!)… yay!!

Wow, this is actually very reminiscent of deep red wine! The flavors are unexpected but work together very very well. The cherry gives it the fruity taste, and vanilla rounds it out. I think puerh is perfect for this because the aged flavor gives it the earthy flavor that barrel aging would for wine. Most excellent!