Scented Lapsang Souchong

Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle
Iced 8 min or more

1 Tasting Note View all

From Virtuous Teas

Produced in the Fujian province of China, these large tea leaves are smoked over a pine-wood fire, giving them an intensely smoky flavor. When infused, a full-bodied, dark, smoky infusion arises. Its flavor has often been compared to that of a single malt scotch. A very popular tea, but an acquired taste. Not for the light-hearted! If you’re curious about this unique tea, ask us for a free sample.

About Virtuous Teas View company

1 Tasting Note

Sipdown. I’ve been doing a lot of stashbusting lately, and it feels good. I’m ready to move on to autumn teas and rotate out some of the old ones.

I still can’t believe I haven’t rated this yet though – definitely thought I had.

The leaves are long and dark and twisty, and they sort of shine a little bit. It’s not just like a piece of dried leaf. They’re very unique.

The smell in the tin is very smoky. Good.

I’m actually a huge fan of cold-brewed Lapsang, so that’s what I did with this.

The smoke is the predominant flavor, as I would expect, but it’s not as strong as when I brew it by traditional hot methods. There’s a really unique charcoal flavor in there too, like I’m not drinking the smell of smoke but rather the taste of the burnt logs. I really like it.

(In the process of writing this review, I get a knock on my door. As I’m going over to open it, the key turns in the lock and our prankster friend RS is there. He goes “Well, this is awkward. E – my roommate – forgot her keys, so I’m playing a prank on her. You were never here. You saw nothing.” Okay, RS, I saw nothing. So now half of our room is a mess. He’s going to get it back, though, because I’m HORRID at keeping a straight face!)

Back to the tea. There’s a lingering sort of mineral sweetness that washes over my tongue at the end of the sip. I think there’s a lot more character and depth to this when cold-brewed than there is hot, although it’s great both ways. A delicious tea that will be missed!

Iced 8 min or more