Blue People

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Sarah and the Purple Crayon

• “ WOW!!! This tea is sensational! It’s almost impossible to describe, and I don’t see how anyone could dislike it. It has a clean, crisp, sweet flavor going down. But the aftertaste is what’s...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 499 tasting notes
  • “Our host at the Vital Tea Leaf tasting room in San Francisco China Town loves giving this tea to visitors because it's so unique. I consider myself to be a tea connoisseur, and I'd never tasted...” Read full tasting note
    callipygian 14 tasting notes
  • “A better-balanced blend of ginseng to oolong than most "emperor teas" of this variety. The base oolong isn't of the highest quality, but then you wouldn't want it to be as the subtleties would be...” Read full tasting note
    iguanahey 11 tasting notes
  • “I drink this tea nearly every day, and go through a 4oz canister every couple of months. Last time I stopped by Vital Leaf to get a refill they suggested a adding a pinch of rose tea for a new...” Read full tasting note
    stirwise 2 tasting notes

From Vital Tea Leaf

This is a high mountain green tea from TaiWan blend with ginseng powder. It carries a very strong sweet after taste, very aromatic and mellow. Good for energy, wakeup, focus, concentration. Fermented green coated with high quality ginseng powder considered one of our best selling and tasting natural energy drinks.

About Vital Tea Leaf View company

WOW!!! This tea is sensational!

It’s almost impossible to describe, and I don’t see how anyone could dislike it. It has a clean, crisp, sweet flavor going down. But the aftertaste is what’s so fantastic!

The aftertaste is so unique and different from anything else I’ve ever had. It sort of cools your tongue and refreshes your palate, while at the same time being incredibly flavorful and delicious.

I don’t know about the tea being a good alternative to an energy drink. Yes, it has ginseng added to it, but oolong is naturally very low in caffeine. I can drink it right before bedtime and still fall asleep with ease.

It’s pretty expensive as teas go, but it does have a very long shelf life (around 3 years). As with most teas, it’s better the fresher it is. But you can brew the same tea leaves up to seven times! In my opinion, it tastes best on brews 2-5. Funny that the first brew isn’t the best, huh?

But truly, this is a lifetime favorite. Brew it in very little water for 15-30 seconds, and you’ll have magic. Trust me, this tea is worth a trip to a Vital Tea Leaf shop all by itself.

Just don’t buy their Piao I Teapot to brew it in. Yes, it’s so simple and cool. But it breaks really easily after just a few uses. Instead, go for something like Teavana’s Classic Comfort Touch Tea Strainer with lid. You’ll be much happier in the long run, and the large open strainer allows the tea leaves to expand more than a small tea ball would.

Our host at the Vital Tea Leaf tasting room in San Francisco China Town loves giving this tea to visitors because it’s so unique. I consider myself to be a tea connoisseur, and I’d never tasted anything like this.

His brother calls it “party in your mouth tea” because the flavor changes dramatically with each sip. It starts out with a nice Oohlong flavor, but the aftertaste is wonderfully sweet from the licorice root. Additional sips will continue to change in taste.

This is one of my favorite teas to help me focus through my work day. I also love sharing it with friends because it’s so unique.

A better-balanced blend of ginseng to oolong than most “emperor teas” of this variety. The base oolong isn’t of the highest quality, but then you wouldn’t want it to be as the subtleties would be wasted underneath the blanket of sweet ginseng. It’s a nice pick-me-up or something to drink when your palate isn’t clean enough to appreciate more refined teas. A fun and comforting tea. It’s a tea I’d buy again from Vital Tea Leaf

Pithy

There is no ginseng in this tea. It’s aspartame.

I drink this tea nearly every day, and go through a 4oz canister every couple of months. Last time I stopped by Vital Leaf to get a refill they suggested a adding a pinch of rose tea for a new flavor. It adds a lovely floral note to the ginseng sweetness.

Run over with hot water first, seep only ten seconds in a smallish cup, then take a sip and breathe in slowly over your tongue. You will experience an inexpressible kind of sweetness. After your first cup, you can seep again six or seven times, ten seconds at a time, until the flavor is gone.

Another one of the teas I tasted as part of a tea tasting in Seattle. I love Ginseng Oolongs. This had the usual amazing Ginseng aftertaste but the Oolong flavor was a bit different then I expected. Strong Oolong flavor is how I would describe it. Could have just been how she steeped it though.

One of my favorite teas, steep for only 10-15 seconds. The best steep is the second, in my opinion. A great tea to introduce to people that drink tea often, but also a bad one aswell.

Gets better with every steeping.

This tea is also fermented with licorice which you can readily taste. I usually drink Japanese green tea, but this is a great tea to have at my office because you don’t have to fuss with water temperature as much. And, it is a good energy drink.

Incredible and unexpectedly sweet aftertaste. Clarifying and energizing.