Masala Chai

Edit tea info Last updated by slygirl
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Wegmans

Organic black tea, organic cinnamon, organic ginger, organic cardamon, natural flavors

About Wegmans View company

My morning cup. I needed something that would kick me into gear quickly, so I added some extra Assam tea to my chai. It was less spicy overall, but it was still really good. Definitely got me going.

This sample was from Veronica and I can see how people who don’t favor strong chais love this tea, however I prefer strong chais. The tea had plenty of cardamom pods and cloves but not too much, and very little cinnamon. Was quite good though. I’ll drink it again but I don’t find it something to write home about.

Veronica

See, I think that this is a strong chai. :)

Once upon a time, I thought cheap, generic tea bags were good stuff. Then, I began dabbling in the art of loose leaf, by way of my local Wegman’s. The few selections there became my new tea heaven, and couldn’t imagine much better! After making my way into high-quality loose leaf, there are only a select few teas that I still drive all the way there to enjoy. The Masala Chai is one of them.

After I was introduced to better tea, I came back to the Masala expecting disappointment…but had none. I have bought more expensive, well-known chai that seems very underwhelming compared to this. I consider it a perfectly balanced chai, the black tea base being slightly masked by the VERY potent spices. This tea has a real kick to it, and is just divine when mixed with a little sweetened condensed milk, or made as a latte. I truly miss having this tea every day I’m without it.

Veronica

I’m a fan of this one, too. I like the balance between the tea and the spice.

Had my first cup of this today. I have to say I really like it! Perfect blend of spices.

It is a very satisfactory chai, although kind of generic… It has just enough spice to it to call it ‘chai’ but not much of anything else to make it stand out. Still pretty good for a grocery store acquisition. I just realized though that this is the only loose chai that I have right now in my ‘cupboard’ (countertop of a dishwasher more like it). An excuse for some tea shopping… NO!

Not pleased with this one. The black tea is strong, but the spices are too weak – I might as well just buy a box of plain black tea bags.