Lapsang Souchong

Campfire, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Jude

• “Had to try this. The leaves were very smoky, similar to a barbegue grill. The flavor of the brew less so. And I didn't enjoy it. And I think it gave me a headache.” Read full tasting note
    Kryptryx 89 tasting notes
  • “If you're a fan of Lapsang Souchong, this is a fine choice. Unfortunately, I'm not. This has a strong (very strong, I mean super-strong) smoky aroma, and as is indicative of all Lapsangs, it tastes...” Read full tasting note
    robshoy 4 tasting notes
  • “Think woody campfire smoke, inhaled, then consumed as a liquid. Doesn't make you cough, but otherwise this is pretty much my experience of this tea. Can be pleasant or not depending on your taste...” Read full tasting note
    Jude 100 tasting notes
  • “2nd steep. Aroma is not as strong, or maybe I'm just used to it now. It reminds me of how smoking meats outside and the smoke permeates into your clothes and the smoke smell just lingers around...” Read full tasting note
    ethos 54 tasting notes

From Wegmans

Bold, assertive, full-bodied with a dominantly smoky, earthy taste.

China. USDA Organic. In China’s Fujian Province, tea artisans wither then dry teas leaves in bamboo baskets over smoking cypress or pine wood fires to create its distinctive campfire flavor.

About Wegmans View company

Had to try this. The leaves were very smoky, similar to a barbegue grill. The flavor of the brew less so. And I didn’t enjoy it. And I think it gave me a headache.

Kryptryx

Followed it up with some dragon well green tea, and it all went away.

Jaime

Sad that you got a headache from the tea! I wonder if it’s smokier than the LS that I drink…

Tabby

I can’t get into lapsang souchong either. :/

JacquelineM

I’ve been taking smoky baby steps but am still too much of an infant for lapsang :)

jenny wren

I love LS, but you can’t really think “tea” in your head when you drink it…I crave it on those nights I wish I was by the camp-fire under the stars.

If you’re a fan of Lapsang Souchong, this is a fine choice. Unfortunately, I’m not. This has a strong (very strong, I mean super-strong) smoky aroma, and as is indicative of all Lapsangs, it tastes much like I imagine licking a charcoal grill would taste like. If that’s your thing, by all means, go for it.

Side note: Combined with some more fruity flavors, however, this could be pretty interesting.

ice_cream_social

Guess I’m one of those people who likes licking charcoal grills! =P

Think woody campfire smoke, inhaled, then consumed as a liquid. Doesn’t make you cough, but otherwise this is pretty much my experience of this tea. Can be pleasant or not depending on your taste and your emotional associations with campfires. I could easily close my eyes and be transported back to some great times with this imagination-inducing tea. Drinking it straight would be an acquired taste, but I’ll blend this with other teas to add a bit of smokey depth.

2nd steep. Aroma is not as strong, or maybe I’m just used to it now. It reminds me of how smoking meats outside and the smoke permeates into your clothes and the smoke smell just lingers around you. 2nd steep was still smooth

A fine Lapsang with a very smoky aroma and smooth lingering finish. Might be a little off-putting for those who are still getting used to the taste of Lapsang, but a good standard to have for an everyday drink. Would be a welcome addition to pep up a black tea that needs a little more flavour, like a basic English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast blend or even a medium-bodied Assam.

Lapsang Souchong Black Tea, an unusual and bold tea from the Fujian province of China. Smoked over pine fires in bamboo baskets this tea captures the taste of the fire. It is a perfect tea for cold winter nights…the taste reminded me of warm fires, high mountains, and clear cold skies. You can taste the full spectrum of tea with this type…the warmth from the sun, the aging leaf, and the smoke from the fire in every swallow. It is one of the most intense tea flavors I have come across. Tastes good black and sweetened, but tastes like stale ashes if left to cool too long

180 °F / 82 °C

This is a really nice Lapsang Souchong. Not completely overpowering, but not one of those wimpy Lapsangs either. It’s beautifully smooth with some subtle sweetness. My favorite way to take it is to chop up some crystalized ginger and add it to the infuser with the leaves. It makes a lovely sweet and slightly spicy drink that is absolutely perfect for cooler nights. Not too shabby chilled with some bourbon either ;)

Flavors: Campfire, Smoke

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
boychik

Great idea ;)

Mmmmm, nice and smokey! This has such a rich smokey scent! It tastes really smokey and deep too, but doesn’t have any bitterness at all, really quite smooth! I am not familiar with the nuances of lapsang, but this one is really enjoyable!

jeweledthumb

I’ve been really impressed with the Wegmans teas in general (we just got some stores near me)!

Dustin

I hadn’t tried or heard of them before this traveling tea box got to me. So far I like and will try more from them. I’ll have to keep an eye out for retail locations!

Used less leaf and a shorter steep this time. The aroma was less overpowering, but still a head-ache inducing smokiness reminiscent of swallowing a cigarette. No subtlety. This is a full-on assault to the face.

I have been filling my thermos with this before my hellish Tuesdays (classes from 11.30AM-9.30-10.00PM, thankfully finals are next week) for a few weeks now. This tea is also what helped me survive process for applying to my first graduate school one down three to go. This is not as smokey as I would prefer, but for casual sipping throughout the day it is more than adequate. The pine smoke is there in smell but weakens once brewed, however the woody element from the pine is there full force.