Yunnan Graceful Purple 'Zi Juan' Purple Varietal Green Tea

Green Tea Leaves
Earth, Grapes, Smoke, Tangy, Astringent, Creamy, Jasmine, Nutty, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by K S
175 °F / 79 °C 3 oz / 88 ml

• “I’ve had a few purple teas from Kenya before, but all that I have had before were closer to black teas then greens let alone a purple tea from Yunnan, so What-cha’s Graceful Purple Zi Juan really...” Read full tasting note
    RahRahSan 15 tasting notes
  • “Oh interesting. The dry leaf smells earthy and smokey, and there's a touch of sea weed. I'm reminded more of a lapsang souchong or pu'erh than a green tea. The leaf is dark, uniform and tapered -...” Read full tasting note
    Anlina 313 tasting notes
  • “I'm tempted just to copy my blog review over here but I will resist. What-Cha is a new UK company. They have free international shipping on orders over $35, and a flat $6 for lesser orders. That...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1365 tasting notes

From What-Cha

A brilliant rare tea produced from purple varietal tea leaves, with a smoky aroma and taste combined with a wonderful smooth texture.

About What-Cha View company

I’ve had a few purple teas from Kenya before, but all that I have had before were closer to black teas then greens let alone a purple tea from Yunnan, so What-cha’s Graceful Purple Zi Juan really interested me. Because of my little mix-up yesterday I did not have a gongfu session with this tea, but I may return to it at a later date.

This is a wonderfully smoky green tea, the dry leaves smell like beef jerky and dry gourd. The leaves are very dark for a green tea, but even with the pungent smoky smell, I could smell it was a green tea. The dry leaves remind me a little of a long jing crossed with a very tippy white tea.

For my first infusion I brewed at 176°F for two minutes. Instantly I was greeted with a very smooth texture. It had moderate (if it was a black tea, I have never had a smoky green tea before), but it also had a tangy grape taste as well. It had a mild smoky aroma, also a little vegetal.

My next infusion I brewed at 185°F for three minutes. This time it had a very silky creamy texture. While it was still smoky, I was starting to taste very mild floral notes, there was also some fruity notes and a little earthiness at the end.

Overall I found this tea to be really nice; I enjoyed the lingering smoky taste while the initial smell may stop a veteran green tea drinker, if you take the plunge and brew it I am sure you’ll love it. It almost reminds me of an oolong/Hei-cha hybrid, but in the back of my mind I could always see how it is a green tea.

(Originally post on http://rah-tea.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-chas-yunnan-graceful-purple-zi.html)

Flavors: Earth, Grapes, Smoke, Tangy

Oh interesting.

The dry leaf smells earthy and smokey, and there’s a touch of sea weed. I’m reminded more of a lapsang souchong or pu’erh than a green tea. The leaf is dark, uniform and tapered – very elegant looking.

My first steep is at 80C for 25 seconds. The liquor is a kind of washed out amber colour, very pretty and unique. The taste is light and delicate. Forefront is the taste of smoke, and then in behind that is a lot of earth and some creamy, nuttiness. As I drink this steeping, a sweetness develops at the opening of the sip. A bit of smoke lingers on the finish.

Second steep 79C, 25 seconds. The leaf is starting to smell sweeter, and the colour has shifted to a yellow green colour. Still smokey, a touch sweet and this steep has some flora notes, primarily jasmine. The mouth feel is quite light and just a touch drying.

Third steep, 80C, 30 seconds. Smokey, floral, a bit more bitter. The sweetness has faded out somewhat.

Fourth, 80C, 25 seconds. The smoke is diminishing, and the floral notes are coming out stronger. A bit astringent.

This is nice, but it’s not an easy drinking tea. I think there’s a fair bit more left in these leaves, but I’m done.

Flavors: Astringent, Creamy, Earth, Jasmine, Nutty, Seaweed, Smoke

175 °F / 79 °C 1 tsp 3 OZ / 88 ML

I’m tempted just to copy my blog review over here but I will resist. What-Cha is a new UK company. They have free international shipping on orders over $35, and a flat $6 for lesser orders. That seems to include my friends in Canada!

This tea leaf smells awesome. It is sweet and sour like other Chinese greens with the addition of kind of a bread like aroma and a wonderful breath of smoke (not heavy LS or even Keemun).

The taste is so different I had to contact What-Cha and ask if this is indeed a green or if it is a sheng. Alistair wrote back as quickly as time zones would allow and confirmed it is prepared as a green tea. The interesting thing is the large purple leaves of this particular varietal have been cultivated (my word – maybe not the correct one) for producing pu’erh. So I am sort of on the right track.

What I am tasting is sheng like without any of that bright metallic taste. It is mild and vegetal, earthy, along with a stone fruit note (I am thinking apricot). The smoke briefly appears at the back of the sip and just fits. In later cups I notice it developing spicy and floral notes.

More sheng comparisons to this green tea – My lungs feel cool and fresh like I can breath to my toes. I noticed a peaceful sense of well being while sipping. I also found it produced a quiet stomach rumble leading me to believe this tea is soothing to my system. Your mileage may vary.

I found this tea to be captivatingly different. I am 30 ounces into steeping the same leaf and it appears it is going to go more.

What-Cha

Thanks for the great review Kevin, it certainly was great fun sourcing the tea and equally pleasing to read it met your with your approval.

Cwyn

Not surprised this is tasty. Yunnan Sourcing also makes a Wild Purple loose leaf from the same tea used to press cakes. Theirs, however, is quite roasted. Still it is one of the best teas I’ve had outside of traditional puerh cakes.