Campfire Blend - v106 (2011-2013)

Black Chai Rooibos Blend
Black Peppercorn, Black Tea Leaves, Orange Peel, Organic Cloves, Organic Red Rooibos
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

4 Images

• “Merry Christmas, Steepster Friends! Hubby and I enjoyed this tea today. It just tastes so Christmas-y to me and was perfect for cozying up to the tree and opening gifts. See previous tasting...” Read full tasting note
    hesperjune 168 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! And thank you again to the lovely *Hesper June* for letting me try this one. Still not my favourite cup of tea but it does give me hope that I may enjoy some of the other blends that...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “I'm giving this tea the chance to make me like smoky teas haha, so far I've only had DavidsTea's LS and it was just too much for me. So here we go with this one! The dry smell is nicely smoky, not...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 918 tasting notes
  • “11 different black teas? Awesome! Plus Rooibos? Cool! AND Spices and Orange Peel? Woot!!! I'm excited! Let's try it shall we??? It smells smoky and orange-E. The color of the liquor is...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
It was late autumn in the upper peninsula of Northern Michigan. I had the campfire going steady with pinewood and maple leaves. A slight breeze off of the lake brought me closer to the embers while the call of a Barred Owl and crickets echoed through the empty lakeshore. The wind pushed the smoke towards the full moon. The smoky haze in the air played like the moonlight across the water, giving life to an empty sky. Then, as if rehearsed a hundred times, the entire landscape went silent. All I could hear was the crackling of the fire and my own steady breath. The wind had stopped, the owl and crickets wouldn’t dare make a sound. Even the haunting call of a loon was cut short, echoing across the silvery glasslike waters for what felt like forever. There was only the popping of a fire and the lonely breath of a woodsman. At that moment, sending chills down my spine not even the hottest fire could have warmed, the cry of a lone wolf rang out from the pine forest behind me. The silence was broken and, moments later, the orchestra of nature began singing once again.

Campfire Blend uses the finest lapsang souchong as the base, cradling the embers of rooibos, orange peel, and delicate spices to create a taste and aroma unlike anything you could ever imagine…except for maybe the whisper of an ancient campfire and the cry of a lone wolf on a cool Autumn night.

Notes
Pinewood Campfire
Spice
Citrus
Earthy
Warm
Honey

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 teaspoon of leaves

Orange Peel

Caffeine Content
Medium

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Merry Christmas, Steepster Friends!
Hubby and I enjoyed this tea today.
See previous tasting note for more on this tea.

Vortegne

Is there “Campfire” in the name? Sold!

And happy holidays! :)

Sipdown! And thank you again to the lovely Hesper June for letting me try this one. Still not my favourite cup of tea but it does give me hope that I may enjoy some of the other blends that Whispering Pines tea company has to offer as i can sense the potential in the tea, even if this one seems all over the map resulting in a kind of boring tea. One more down..and technically one more to go to hit my goal for this weekend! woot woot!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I think Campfire blend may be a hit-or-miss kind of tea…hmm, who knows! :)

Glad you see potential though ;)

haha yeah. There’s a LOT going on in that tea that i think it cancels out some of each other.

I’m giving this tea the chance to make me like smoky teas haha, so far I’ve only had DavidsTea’s LS and it was just too much for me. So here we go with this one! The dry smell is nicely smoky, not overpowering, but definitely a lapsang blend. There’s a faint hint of spices as well. I steeped to Whispering Pines recommendations, 5 minutes with boiling water. The resulting liquor is dark, deep red, and smells primarily of smoky pine but with a sweetness and a spiciness.

As for the flavor…yes! This is more like how a smoky tea should be! It’s quite tasty! I get a lovely smoked pine note of course, but there is some body to this tea, I think from the rooibos. That also probably adds to the slightly woody flavor. The spices are definitely in there as well, and a hint of the citrusy orange melds in too. As it cools, it seems like the flavors meld together even better. I can actually tell this is a blend with LS, it doesn’t overpower. And none of that sickly aftertaste of cigarettes in this one!

Overall, I am quite impressed with this tea. It is making me see that I might be able to like smoky blends after all :) very happy I picked up an oz of this to try!

MissLena

Thanks! I definitely will, a very tasty blend by you guys!! :)

I’m excited!
Let’s try it shall we???

It smells smoky and orange-E. The color of the liquor is that of a rooibos but also a medium-dark brown combined.

It’s smoky but not overly-so…not like a straight-up Lapsang Souchung but still very nice and fitting to the name. The mesh of 11 black teas in the base are interesting…something I have never tasted before! That I like and appreciate all of the thought that went into it.

I can taste the orange and it’s lovely. Again, not overpowering but I’m happy it’s present. The spices seem to mesh really well with eachother as well as the black tea base. I can’t pick out one spice over the other(s)…it’s a nice combo – that’s for sure!

It’s earthy and woodsy…true to it’s name, too! It’s slightly sweet which is a nice surprise. It has a sweeter-maltiness to it, too! I REALLY like that!

It also has a very subtle taste of mineral/rock type taste…reminiscent of Wuyi Rock Oolong, perhaps.

I really like this because it is so different. Also because you can tell a lot of thought and work went into it. It certainly lives up to it’s name :)

Scott B

Do they list the what the other teas are?

TeaEqualsBliss

I haven’t seen that thus far! I will drop them an email :)

TeaEqualsBliss

Brenden (Whispering Pines Owner) told me the following…
Campfire Blend uses Glen Arbor Breakfast as the base tea. Glen Arbor Breakfast is made with 2 keemun teas, 7 ceylon teas, one lapsang souchong, and one assam

Scott B

Awesome, thanks for finding out!

:( I tried this one after my massive lack of success with DT’s Cherry Cola tonight, and unfortunately, don’t like this one much better. The aroma is fairly light and mild, with a bit of a familiar and slightly unpleasant aroma. I feel like it’s an aroma I’ve associated with a black tea in the past, but I can’t for the life of me remember which. The unpleasant-ish aroma follows into the flavour – I’m left with quite a light blend, where I can taste a touch of sweetness that’s unfortunately coming off as something a bit rotten, alongside a pleasant black base. I wonder now if it’s the rooibos causing this…

Anyhow, I was certainly hoping for a whole lot more than I got from this blend :( Although there was a lot of orange peel, that’s certainly not a dominant flavour in the blend (in fact, I can’t even really taste it). I can only catch the barest hint of smokiness; given that this is a “campfire blend” I would have expected more. There is a creamy, pleasant aftertaste, which I wish had more impact upon the rest of the blend, but that’s its only redeeming factor (though, I say that as this tea grows on me a little… I’m trying to give it a chance by drinking the whole cup, which does seem to be improving my opinion of it, but not enough to ever re-purchase.)

Anyhow, I do wish I had better things to say about this blend, but it’s fairly bland (I used 2 tsp for ~10 oz. water, and it got a full 5 minute infusion in boiling water) and has a bit of an odd flavour (although I’m wondering if cross-contamination from other samples from Whispering Pines could be a partial cause of this). Oh well!

ETA: Although I just burnt my tongue on a different tea…. grumbles, the re-steep of this one is fairly decent. Half the water, 6-minute infusion at boiling. I’m tasting light spice, perhaps a hint of citrus, and none of yesterday’s wierdness. I will try this one again soon and hopefully it will be better then! Perhaps let it air out a touch.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmm, strange. I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about this one! Can’t win ’em all! :D

Kittenna

Hmm. I’m really wondering if there’s sample cross-contam in the bag of stuff I got from you. I think one of the teas may be quite strongly flavoured in a way I don’t like, and it may have affected the others. I should go through and try all 5 tonight to see if there’s a common flavour or something. I really want to like your teas! :(

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmm…I just checked out the other stuff you ordered and nothing that I can think of would have effected it. You ordered campfire on August 1st though, right? That may have just been too long for stuff to sit together so that might be it. It could be chamomile from the coconut chamomile, which i have noticed doesn’t sit well with black tea.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Remind me to add a free sample of the new (final) version of this on next time you order. The base tea has been changed. It’s gone through about 300-400 versions in the past year – and i’m glad its finally done :)

TY to Whispering Pines Tea Company for having a weekly drawing – and woot, I won tea!
http://whisperingpinestea.com/drawing.php let’s go tea peeps, enter!

DRY: very spicy smell! Clovey!

STEEPED: Black tea brown colour, smells kinda smokey with a hint of sweet.

TASTE: Very earthy and woodsy, full of flavor and slight smokey. The cloves are present but not overpowering, and a hint of citrus at the end. Interesting, the tea is smooth and the flavors mix well. No bitterness or astringency.

I tried this tea with a bit of honey and a splash of soy milk and it turned out very well – honey with this tea is very tasty!

COMMENTS: I’m thinking latte with this one.. or next time my Dad visits he’ll ask for this tea every morning until I’m out. The spice level is nice, the black tea base is interesting – I was really worried this was going to be bitter, but it wasn’t.

Babble

Congrats on winning! :)

LiberTEAS

Yay! Congratulations! It’s always fun to win something… especially if that something is tea!

This is a beautiful tea. It’s smooth (yet I can’t understand how it’s smooth with the amount of different teas in it), yet kind of smoky, but not overly so.

It’s nicely spiced & a touch citrusy. It’s just yum. I hate when I love a tea, but failed to buy enough of it. This is one of those teas. So far I have liked every tea I’ve had from Whispering Pines.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Remember to grab a bit more of this next time – I’ve just redesigned it a little bit…it’s WAYYYY better :)

I bought a ton of samples (pretty much every tea on the site) after trying my first tea from Whispering Pines…this one just sounded fun! :D Their description was kinda funny and super cheesy “except for maybe the whisper of an ancient campfire and the cry of a lone wolf on a cool autumn night.” so I figured I’d give this a go as my second tea (I like cheesy, haha). I opened the bag. WOW. They aren’t even messing around. The smell of this tea gave me chills. There’s this intense wildness to it that brings me straight back to the nights I spent camping in the upper peninsula of Michigan (where I grew up most of my life)…and amazingly enough, that’s their motto: Inspired by the true wilderness of northern Michigan. So my first impression was mindblowing. I carefully scooped 1/2 tablespoon into my mini-pitcher and began to heat up water. I just kept smelling it…over and over again. Anyway, my water was boiling so I poured it over the leaves and excitedly leaned over the cup to smell the tea steeping. As I stirred the aroma got more and more intense and..just…I don’t even think I can explain it, but this stuff is magical. It finished steeping (I steeped it for 6 minutes) and I strained it into my mug. At this point I was afraid tasting it would ruin the adventure I was having with it, but I couldn’t hold off any longer. The first sip actually brought tears to my eyes. I became epicly homesick at the moment. Somehow whoever does the blending at Whispering Pines has put Northern Michigan in my cup. How? I don’t know. But somehow they have done it and I have fallen in love with them for it. The tea itself has a light spice complemented with a hint of orange all set over a deep powerful mix of something…this confuses me. I looked over all the ingredients to see what it was that I was tasting, nothing matched it. I think somehow a few of the ingredients combine to create this overall ‘deep-woods campfire’ sensation. The even strange thing is that it doesn’t taste one bit like a campfire. This is the most truly magical tea I’ve ever tasted and I can’t quite get over how much I love it. Might just need to call and talk to whoever created this tomorrow, they are my hero. Best. Tea. EVER.

Really smoky and really tasty!

I have had so many teas that I have yet to try. I am preparing for my first swap so I thought I would try a few of them to dictate how much I want to keep. This will be an opportunity to learn what I enjoy and pass on what I don’t.

With the weather finally cooling down, this is a perfect fall tea. It indeed smells like a campfire. The taste is interesting. I don’t know what “smoky” is but I believe that this tea is a smoky tea? It almost wraps me in memories of sitting around the campfire with the smell of pine teas surrounded by family. It took me a while and most of the population may not get this. There are different types of fires and they have distinct smells. When I reached the end of this cup, it dawned on me that this mostly reminded me of a sauna. This makes sense as usually we would swim all day, clean up in the sauna, then have family time around the fire. Definitely brought me back home (I’m a dislocated yooper).

In my opinion this is a beautiful, well crafted, thoughtful, flavorful tea. Thank you Whispering Pines!

1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML