Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

1 Tasting Note View all

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Gunpowder green tea is a dark and very flavorful Chinese green tea that is rolled into little balls resembling gunpowder. It has a bold fresh taste with smoky notes and a sweet lingering aftertaste. Because of the way the tea is rolled, it has the longest shelf life of any tea in the world. I use gunpowder green tea as my travel tea because it is so tightly packed, delicious, and versatile. Gunpowder green tea can be steeped MANY times — I have enjoyed up to 12 cups with 1 teaspoon!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

1 Tasting Note

Okay, I’m doing some testing with this gunpowder to see how it stands up to boiling water (usually, I use 180ºF). I’ll be going through 3 or 4 infusions – using 1 teaspoon of tea and 8oz of boiling water for each infusion.

I’m a huge fan of gunpowder green tea – despite it being the lowest grade of green tea, I find it remarkably flavorful and delicious. I enjoy the smokey notes a lot that I usually get out of the first infusion, but definitely enjoy the 2nd and 3rd infusions better in all cases. Here goes!

Infusion #1: 30 seconds

Strange at first because I’ve never drank green tea that was this hot. After it cooled a bit, I taste much less smoke, a deep vegetal flavor, and a brothy sweetness. Theres a bit of dryness at the end of the sip and a definite slight sweetness too. I’m quite surprised that there is absolutely no bitterness! Very interesting!

Infusion #2: 35 seconds

Once again, no bitterness and still a tad bit of dryness. There’s a sweet pine flavor that I’m loving in this one and strangely I taste more smoke in this infusion! Very woodsy and earthy, nice and smooth with a nice toasty aftertaste. Theres some sort of wildness to it, too. Theres something about this one that is BEGGING me to put a splash of lemon juice in it. I will pour it off and do so later. On to the third.

EDIT: After doing so, I figured out why I wanted to put lemon juice in. The tea was sweet enough that with the lemon it tasted like green tea lemonade! Delicious!

Infusion #3: 40 seconds
WOAH! Is that a nutty aroma? Nutty in gunpowder?! No way. Letting it cool for a few minutes while I let the dogs out…back! Okay, still too hot, but anyway, it’s got a very nutty/toasty aroma that reminds me a lot of genmaicha. The taste is really different from anything I’ve gotten out of gunpowder before. It’s definitely a nutty/toasty taste! There are still deep vegetal notes at the beginning and a wild sweet pine flavor in the middle of the sip, but between those two I am getting toasty and right before the end I get a moment of nuttyness. There is still the dryness and again, NO bitterness, woot! Very smooth and sweet. A very unique experience.

I didn’t expect the outcome at all. I had expected them all to taste bitter and gross but in the end I got a completely enjoyable experience from all 3 infusions, in particular the 3rd!

Cheers!

ashmanra

I could be wrong, but I am thinking Tin Roof Teas says to use 194F water for this green. So boiling isn’t too unthinkable!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I just checked it out – they list 167ºF. I usually brew it for 60 seconds at 180ºF. I love how different it is at different temps! I’ll brew it at 170º and see how that comes out, too! :)

ashmanra

Must be Teavivre that has several greens at 194F then. I think Chun Mei? Maybe a couple of others? I pulled my TRT Moroccan Mint and they have it as well as all the flavored greens from them I own listed at 194F on the label they print up. Maybe it is only their flavored greens that they recommend a higher temp for. Good luck with your experiments! :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yeah, I saw that they listed Chun Mei as 194º. Thanks! :)