Yunnan Dian Hong: Classic 58

High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “Nice solid tasting black tea is the best I can think of right now. Lol. I'm not really picking up anything special here, but it might just be that my palate isn't really that refined yet. Though I...” Read full tasting note
    Shadowfall 218 tasting notes
  • “I just realized I hadn't tried this tea yet! _Gasp!_ I'm sorry *Whispering Pines*, I didn't meant to neglect you! I received a sample of this from *Nicole*, and I also bought a decent amount of it...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 509 tasting notes
  • “A good, solid tea. Nothing that I will want to keep on hand for itself, but am certainly interested in trying the blends with this in them. It's a fine, solid Yunnan. ” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 520 tasting notes
  • “From the Tea and Cards TTB: The aroma here is not very strong. Very light cocoa notes with a bit of caramel are emanating from my cup. As I sip it, I can't help but to think that although I am...” Read full tasting note
    Visa1379 237 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Dian Hong, a famous high-grade black tea from Yunnan, China, has sweet passionfruit, melon, and honey notes! Dian Hong is my favorite black tea and is truly a treat to drink!

The Perfect Cup
8 oz of boiling water
1 tsp of tea leaves
Steeped for 3 minutes

Caffeine Content: High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Nice solid tasting black tea is the best I can think of right now. Lol. I’m not really picking up anything special here, but it might just be that my palate isn’t really that refined yet. Though I do get a bit of astringency at the end.
Followed company’s instruction for second steeping. Not much different from the first aside from it tasting a bit weaker. Ah well. But this is definitely one I’ll likely keep around.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

You might have luck halving the leaves and doubling the steep time :)

Shadowfall

I’ll definitely give that a try. I certainly have enough left to keep trying until something tastes different. Lol! Thanks.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

No worries, enjoy! This is a great tea to train your palette with, too :)

I just realized I hadn’t tried this tea yet! Gasp! I’m sorry Whispering Pines, I didn’t meant to neglect you! I received a sample of this from Nicole, and I also bought a decent amount of it in a stash sale (was it Shadowfall? I don’t remember now, sorry!) It’s funny, even though this is a far less tippy Yunnan (appears to be about 30-40% tips?) than the others I’ve had from them, I can still definitely tell the quality difference in the leaves between their tea and other companies’ similar offerings. The leaves are long and unbroken, and very light and fluffy. And the golden tips have an obvious fuzzy texture and metallic appearance. Lovely! The smell is quite mild, like most Yunnan teas I’ve tried (some exceptions with the bud varieties). It’s light malt with some honey sweetness and vague fruit reference.

Brewed, it smells slightly earthy, but nowhere near the amount of the darker Yunnans I’ve been trying lately. And there’s definitely malt and dark dried fruit alongside it, which really turns it away from the mineral/smoke element that can be present in these teas. The taste is also somewhat earthy, but there’s no smoke here. There is malt and molasses with some dark dried fruits (raisins, cherries, figs maybe), and these really help to take the edge off of the earth notes and make this tea much more enjoyable for me. I wouldn’t call this tea bready, but it’s almost there. Not my favorite, but not bad for an everyday Yunnan, especially for someone who likes those darker flavors.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Earth, Malt, Molasses, Raisins

A good, solid tea. Nothing that I will want to keep on hand for itself, but am certainly interested in trying the blends with this in them. It’s a fine, solid Yunnan.

From the Tea and Cards TTB: The aroma here is not very strong. Very light cocoa notes with a bit of caramel are emanating from my cup. As I sip it, I can’t help but to think that although I am enjoying it, there is no defining characteristics that really shine through. It has a pleasant malt taste, with a slight fruity quality but it stops there. I like it, but I don’t love it and I doubt I would every crave it, as it has nothing unique.

This was my morning tea today.

It was a pretty good black tea, though I really didn’t get any cocoa notes in this one. Nothing like North Winds or the Fuijian tea from WP.

I’m too lazy to look up what the differences between all these black teas are, but of the three straight blacks that I’ve tried from WP, this is the one with the least amount of mind blowing flavour and excitingness. I don’t honestly think I was able to pull any specific flavours out of this, maybe a slight hint of fruitiness though don’t ask me to specifically name any fruit or you will be given a blank stare in response!

That being said, I’m still working on bringing my tastebuds up to speed, one cup at a time, so maybe this will blow someone else’s mind!

Thanks to Brenden for including a sample with my order :)

I’ve been having a lot of luck with this kind of tea recently, so I pulled this one out to try yesterday evening. It’s the first Whispering Pines tea I’ve tried, although there are a few more in my cupboard. They’re next in the to-drink pile!

I gave 1.5tsp of leaf 3 minutes in boiling water, and added a splash of milk. The smell of the dry leaf is mildly fruity, and this carries through to a certain extent in the flavour. I wouldn’t say I’m getting melon and passionfruit as the description suggests, but there is a sweetness that’s reminiscent of raisin. The main note I’m picking up is cocoa, and it’s delicious! It’s sweet and malty, and the chocolatey flavour with the added milk gives it a wonderfully creamy edge.

I’m glad to have had the opportunity to try this one, although it didn’t wow me quite as much at the Teavivre golden tip version. It has made me curious to try more Whispering Pines teas, though.

I’m slowly coming to the realisation that plain blacks might be my absolute favourite, which comes as a surprise given that I discovered tea largely through flavoured varieties. I’m not sure that I would have been able to pick out all of the flavours in teas like this back then, or even that I would have appreciated them as much as I do now. How tastes change! I’m glad to have discovered this one :)

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Yay for plain blacks! Woot woot!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Looking at your other reviews, I think you’d really enjoy the Ailaoshan Black and Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong :)

Quite a delicious tea. Malty, chocolatey …so much promise. When it is all grown up and in Northwinds or in Golden Orchid it has such flair.