Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong

Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Butter, Sweet, Yeasty, Cocoa, Honey, Smooth, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Malt, Pastries, Chocolate, Wet Earth
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “From *Considering a new Travelling Tea Box* This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5 grams (though...” Read full tasting note
    Dr Jim 114 tasting notes
  • “*Dry leaf aroma:* Malty with a hint of yeasty sweetness. *Dry leaf appearance:* http://instagram.com/p/sZVQOaFcAE/ *Wet leaf aroma:* Malt and bread with a delicate earthy essence. *Wet leaf...” Read full tasting note
    Blodeuyn 20 tasting notes
  • “Got a sample of this tea from the awesome *Sarsonator*! Been wanting to try it for a while but whenever I order it seems to be out of stock. :S I love the look of this tea-it's so different. It's...” Read full tasting note
    Ostdalost 191 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning. First, I have to say that the dry leaves are beautiful. They're golden and fluffy, and they smell like grain and cocoa. Really nice. I did a two and a half minute steep, and the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 732 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
This is the highest grade black tea that you will find outside of China. Centuries of knowledge and tea master perfection went into picking and processing this dazzling Dian Hong style balck tea! The appearance alone is enough to knock you off your feet, with golden hairs covering the velvety soft leaves!

This tea is harvested in the spring from ancient tea bushes in Yunnan, China and carries lovely complex notes of malt, cocoa, warm pinewood, honey, morel mushrooms, and a damp forest aroma. This years harvest of this fantastic tea is smoother than previous harvests, with a new pinewood note comparable to warm wet pine after a summer storm. Imperial Gold Bud Black Tea is thick and lively with a clean aftertaste and carries an intense energy (cha qi).

We are very proud to be able to offer small quantities of this rare tea and will continue to offer Imperial Gold Bud as long as mother nature allows!

Notes
Malt
Cocoa
Warm Pinewood
Mushroom
Honey
Damp Forest

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

From Considering a new Travelling Tea Box

This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5 grams (though increased the water to 8 oz from my usual 6).

This was an amazing tea. I was initially hesitant at the Yunnan-like damp forest aroma, but there was an underlying note of cocoa, and I didn’t find it off-putting. The flavor is HUGE. I won’t use as much next time, yet the strength was wonderful: a big, complex, mouth-filling tea. The flavor changed subtly in my mouth and as the cup cooled, making it hard to identify specifics, but it retained the forest/cocoa notes in the nose. The finish was also delightful and strong. A great tea.

There is only about 5 grams left in the box, but I’m afraid I’m claiming it.

I should probably give this a 100, but I’ve always been a tough grader.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey Doc! Glad you enjoyed this! :)

I think (unless I was totally out of it and messed up) that the instructions called for 1/2 tablespoon rather than 1/2 teaspoon. This tea also was a reserve tea but as of today has been moved up to a regular stock item, and can be found here: http://whisperingpinestea.com/yunnangold.html

The one you had and the one currently offered is a 2012 harvest. When stock runs out of the 2012 we will be replenishing each fresh harvest. :)

Glad you enjoyed this and had a good first impression of Whispering Pines!

Dry leaf aroma: Malty with a hint of yeasty sweetness.
Dry leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/sZVQOaFcAE/

Wet leaf aroma: Malt and bread with a delicate earthy essence.
Wet leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/sZegualcJK/

Preparation: Brewed western style in a ceramic infuser mug.

First steeping: 3 minutes at 205 degrees. This tea is as much a pleasure to smell as it is to sip with its malty bread aroma. The liquor is velvety smooth with a strong freshly baked bread flavor and a subtle buttery mouth-feel. As the cup cools I detect a bit of sweetness and the aftertaste is bread with a buttery note that lingers pleasantly.

Second steeping: 5 minutes at 205 degrees. Very much like the first infusion. The buttery notes are more prominent and the mouth-feel is creamy with a yeasty aftertaste.

I wish I had time to do further steepings, as this is a tea worthy of taking your time to savor.

One thing to note, the key for me with Dian Hong is to underleaf slightly or it comes out a bit bitter. I think that has more to do with my taste buds being quirky rather than being an issue with the tea or my water. Regardless, this is an awesome tea. Lovely to look at, intoxicating to smell, and heavenly to sip!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Sweet, Yeasty

Got a sample of this tea from the awesome Sarsonator!
I love the look of this tea-it’s so different. It’s curly and soft. I never imagined I’d be so amused by how certain teas looked and felt. But different textures of teas are so unique and awesome-it just makes me smile. :P
I thought this tea was going to taste a lot like the Golden Snail, but it smells and tastes a lot more like bread than sweet potatoes.
It’s smooth with hints of honey and cocoa. But they aren’t too strong in this cup at least. Maybe in a few steeps those flavors will come out more.
Noticed that a lot of people taste malt in this tea, but I’m not really getting any malt for some reason.
So, my conclusion: A lot more bready than the Golden Snails, which I actually really like. Think I will have to get more of this myself! :O Another win by Whispering Pines! :D

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Smooth

Sarsonator

You can have the rest of mine. I’m so glad you like it!

Cheri

Sounds really delicious.

Ost

Oh my word, really, Sarsonator? :O I’ll totally take it off your hands-wouldn’t let it go to waste! That would be awesome. Thanks!!!

scribbles

Lucky you :))!! Very jelly!! Enjoy :)

Sarsonator

Yep. I will do that for you. You know I am slow with packages, but it WILL get done :)

Ost

Yahhh!! That’s totally okay-I can wait. Ahh So excited! I really love this tea! Thanks, you’re the best!!

Tea of the morning. First, I have to say that the dry leaves are beautiful. They’re golden and fluffy, and they smell like grain and cocoa. Really nice. I did a two and a half minute steep, and the results were glorious. The tea taste of good bread, honey, and cocoa. This is a seriously nice way to wake up! There is also an incredible smoothness to the tea which lends a buttery feel and a thickness that just takes this tea over the top. As the tea cools the flavors blend a bit more, and I find myself in the sip-sigh-smile-repeat mode of tea drinking. It’s a good place to be.

Thank you Cameron B. for gifting me this tea in the Pass the Stash 2.0 box. I love it! This one’s going on my shopping list.

GLORIOUS! I’m so glad you like it, I love this one. :D

mj

It is GLORIOUS! And even more so done gongfu style :) (Plus I got a pretty decent tea buzz off of it that way)

Cheri

Sounds amazing!

This was the first tea I had gongfu style! I picked it based on Brenden’s recommendation, which was spot on as always. I didn’t write a review that time because I just decided to concentrate on the experience rather than worrying about taking notes or anything. And then I’d just have to repeat the experience to write a decent review, oh darn ;).

First, this tea is gorgeous! The leaves are fluffy and curly, while their color reminds me of golden lion tamarin fur. I think it’s cute :). I brewed 3g at 205F 15/15/30/40/60 sec

Steep 1: This steep was malty and bready, melting into sweet honey and cocoa. There was an earthy aroma that didn’t really come through in the flavor with this steep. Overall, it was honey butter on a biscuit! Yes please. More of this.

Steep 2: This steep was still malty and bready, but almost aggressively earthy tasting. It was not as sweet, but cocoa is stronger.

Steep 3: Now all the tastes are still very present, but mellowed as a whole. They’re not any weaker, they’re just not as sharp as they were, as if they’ve melted into each other. The cocoa was the strongest flavor in this steep.

Steep 4: This steep was all buttery bread with a hint of earth but the cocoa seemed to be hiding. Where did you go, cocoa?

Steep 5: Cocoa’s back! This steep was surprised me given the fourth steep. It was buttery, bready, and cocoa-y. It reminded me of a chocolate croissant. Nommy to the max! I can’t decide if I like the first steep or the last steep better; maybe I’ll have to do this again soon I’m definitely doing this again soon. This tea makes my teeth buzz and got me hella tea drunk to boot!

Yum yum, more Whispering Pines! I really love these light, golden Yunnans so far, from every company. This one has beautiful, puffy golden leaves that are covered in fuzz. Their scent is lovely – light malt and creamy honey with a surprisingly strong stonefruit note.

The first time, I followed the package instructions and steeped for 3 minutes. The aroma was honey-glazed toast with some golden raisin fruitiness. The taste: lightly malty with honey and dried fruits (apricot?). Maybe a little bit of cocoa. There was also this weird bitterness that I didn’t expect.

So I did a 2 minute steep (new leaves) to see if the bitterness would go away. Mm, love the flavor of this one. It reminded me of a buttery croissant with a touch of honey. There’s also a light toasty note that makes me imagine toasted almonds atop the aforementioned croissant. Maybe a little stonefruit in the aftertaste? This steep wasn’t bitter, but it was almost bitter. It had the potential to be bitter. But it was still delicious.

So my question is, what else should I change to prevent the bitterness? Is it overleafing maybe? I am usually a little bit generous with my leaf measurement, and since the recommendation is in volume and not weight, it’s hard to be precise with a larger leaf. Any suggestions (or measurements in grams) would be appreciated!

Flavors: Butter, Cocoa, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Pastries

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmm, I steeped this yesterday for an hour with no bitterness…maybe it’s your water?

Cameron B.

Ironically enough, I used filtered water. I guess I could try tap…

Also, 1/2tbsp of this one is 1.75g

Cameron B.

Is there any way that a lower temperature than recommended would produce bitterness…?

Cameron B.

Thanks, I’ll write that on the package for next time. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmm…It’s possible…if your filter doesn’t filter out chlorine, that could cause bitterness.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

You should really be using spring water for your tea…there’s 17 springs in your city ;) http://www.findaspring.com/locations/north-america/usa/peerless-spring-saratoga-springs-ny-12866/

Whispering Pines Tea Company

And come to think of it, lower temp could totally bring out bitterness…with most tea, the bitterness is caused by tannins, and if I remember correctly, tannic acid is water soluble at a lower temp than flavonoids. It could be that you aren’t getting enough flavonoids to hide the tannins with a lower temp.

Cameron B.

Okay, I’ll definitely try it at boiling then. Or at least 200.

TheTeaFairy

Really smooth tea for me also…but I think I only drank this one with the gaiwan, 5g for 5oz. I would not think that lowering the temp has anything to do with the bitterness you get as it usually diminish it. I agree with Brenden on this, I’d blame the water, and don’t forget that Dasani is NOT spring water!! If anything, it makes things worst :-)

TheTeaFairy

200 is my comfort zone cameron. I very rarely get bitterness in anything I brew, but I know it also has to do with tastebuds :-)

Did not know that brenden about the tannic acid, interesting….

boychik

5g(yay for scale) 205 or 200 4oz rinse/5/10/15/20sec or 15/30/45 sec
Works every time

Nicole

That is interesting about the lower temps and tannins. Had no idea.

We do buy this one a lot but drink it not so much like Lance said in his review, Surely one of my fav Yunnan Blacks. I’m drinking it right now with a little Fujian Black added not because it needs anything added to it but just because I like mixing the two sometimes.
To me it has notes of malt, chocolate, honey, earth and more.
We have had lots of these type teas some good some bad some maybe even better than this one but prolly not one as beautiful as this one because it IS prolly the prettiest yunnan golds we’ve had.
I like everything about this yunnan gold tea and I drink what I like so this is the one I’d rather drink. Also lance loves it so that is a plus too, I couldn’t get him to drink much teas with me before WP.
If ya like this one and the Fujian wont you make yourself a cup with both 50/50, You may love it!

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Wet Earth

TheTeaFairy

Mmmmm….sounds yummy, will try :-)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

let us know what ya think of it :)

MzPriss

I need to try that too – maybe after I finish the cup I’m drinking now

We are up a little late tonight for a dialysis night but thats ok we are enjoying some really good tea(it don’t keep us up anymore it actually relaxes us before bed lol). This particular Imperial Gold Buds are one of if not The very best Dian Hong i’ve ever had, thanks to Tommy the Toad I’ve had lots and lots of Yunnan black teas puers and dian hongs I do not like the Puer but I do love the dian hongs.
We’ve had some really dark colored dian hongs and some really pretty golden colored ones like this one and lots in between with black and gold leaves.
This is probably the most beautiful looking and pleasant tasting, the leaves look absolutely stunning totally golden and fluffy soft looking with millions of little furs all over, just beautiful.
Brendens Bi Luo Chun(another yunnan black) is also just as pretty and almost as tasty BTW but not as Imperial Gold Buds ;)
The flavor of this Imperial Gold Buds Tea is very bold and malty, notes of cocoa, creamy vanilla and honey with an earthy sweetness and a slight hint of floral.
This is easy one of our top 5 teas, one that we have bought often but drink sparingly as to not ruin the experience by spoiling the taste buds with it too often, it has a nice happy energy and I look forward to buying even more soon, 100 taste points from me!
I do recommend this tea :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Fujian Black is my fav WP tea right now but I have lots of favs lol
This one is also one of my favs too.

This came as a generous sample from Whispering Pines, thank you!

I already own an Imperial Dian Hong Yunnan from a another company. As I compared the looks, the buds in this one are curlier, more furry and golden in colour. I mean, this is 24 karat gold, really.

The brew is a brassy golden colour. It has a deep floral sweet aroma.

You can feel its density in the mouth, it’s almost gelatinous, pudding like.

The taste is chocolaty and earthy, very sweet with no astringency.

I read that there are mushroom notes in this. I can’t really identify that, but maybe that translates into some mossy and dampness notes to me.

I’m not a “re-steeper” when I brew Western style, but I will re-steep exceptional quality teas such as this one, and I’m glad I did cause the second infusion is almost as good and flavourful as the first.

This was a real treat, thank you so much for this opportunity Brenden!

MzPriss

I have this and haven’t gotten around to trying it – maybe today. I’m looking forward to this one.

TheTeaFairy

I’m a sucker for pretty teas, this one is really stunning to look at! I’m thinking of starting a painting project about tea leaves, wonder how it would translate to the canvas…I think I would start with this one or Bi Luo Chun Yunnan.

cavocorax shared this sample with me that she received in her WP order. Since i have a billion samples of teas to drink, i figured i should start with a few of my straight teas and put a pause on drinking favourites this morning. I’m hoping i’ll also get time to maybe drink a puerh or two this weekend. This one is quite tasty. there’s a sweetnes to this along with malt notes and a slight cocoa taste. it’s not out of this world but this is for sure a really nice tea.