Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong

Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Wet Earth, Butter, Sweet, Yeasty, Smooth, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Pastries, Chocolate
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “From Considering a new Travelling Tea Box This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5...” Read full tasting note
    dr-jim 177 tasting notes
  • “My host family just put Big Hero 6 on last night so I grabbed a bag of tea and brewed it up without thinking about it. I don’t enjoy black teas but I really didn’t think about what I...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 235 tasting notes
  • “Another hit from Whispering Pines. This tea has depth. Honey, malty bread, cocoa and a mild earthiness. It’s very forgiving as well. I accidentally brewed the first steep for almost 5...” Read full tasting note
    mtchyg 7 tasting notes
  • GCTTB I am pretty picky about my black teas. Greens, light oolongs, whites, & shengs are my first love but I’ve come to love a few blacks. I think my...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 395 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
This is the highest grade black tea that you will find outside of China. Centuries of knowledge and tea master perfection went into picking and processing this dazzling Dian Hong style balck tea! The appearance alone is enough to knock you off your feet, with golden hairs covering the velvety soft leaves!

This tea is harvested in the spring from ancient tea bushes in Yunnan, China and carries lovely complex notes of malt, cocoa, warm pinewood, honey, morel mushrooms, and a damp forest aroma. This years harvest of this fantastic tea is smoother than previous harvests, with a new pinewood note comparable to warm wet pine after a summer storm. Imperial Gold Bud Black Tea is thick and lively with a clean aftertaste and carries an intense energy (cha qi).

We are very proud to be able to offer small quantities of this rare tea and will continue to offer Imperial Gold Bud as long as mother nature allows!

Notes
Malt
Cocoa
Warm Pinewood
Mushroom
Honey
Damp Forest

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

From Considering a new Travelling Tea Box

This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5 grams (though increased the water to 8 oz from my usual 6).

This was an amazing tea. I was initially hesitant at the Yunnan-like damp forest aroma, but there was an underlying note of cocoa, and I didn’t find it off-putting. The flavor is HUGE. I won’t use as much next time, yet the strength was wonderful: a big, complex, mouth-filling tea. The flavor changed subtly in my mouth and as the cup cooled, making it hard to identify specifics, but it retained the forest/cocoa notes in the nose. The finish was also delightful and strong. A great tea.

There is only about 5 grams left in the box, but I’m afraid I’m claiming it.

I should probably give this a 100, but I’ve always been a tough grader.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey Doc! Glad you enjoyed this! :)

I think (unless I was totally out of it and messed up) that the instructions called for 1/2 tablespoon rather than 1/2 teaspoon. This tea also was a reserve tea but as of today has been moved up to a regular stock item, and can be found here: http://whisperingpinestea.com/yunnangold.html

The one you had and the one currently offered is a 2012 harvest. When stock runs out of the 2012 we will be replenishing each fresh harvest. :)

Glad you enjoyed this and had a good first impression of Whispering Pines!

I don’t enjoy black teas but I really didn’t think about what I was brewing (which was some sort of golden fuzz). This is a very smooth tasting tea and I really enjoyed it- enough so that I drank some more this morning. The leaf is very quality; easily identified by looking before and after brewing. I look forward to continuing my experimenting with temperature and grams of tea used as this is wonderful tea.

Another hit from Whispering Pines. This tea has depth. Honey, malty bread, cocoa and a mild earthiness. It’s very forgiving as well. I accidentally brewed the first steep for almost 5 minutes. My cup was still smooth and delicious with no signs of bitterness or astringency.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Wet Earth

GCTTB

I am pretty picky about my black teas. Greens, light oolongs, whites, & shengs are my first love but I’ve come to love a few blacks. I think my favourites are one with malt and chocolate notes. This one is pretty amazing with great chocolate notes. Thanks Dex for throwing this one in. So glad I got to try it.

Deleted due to Author error.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmm…might you have mistaken the instructions for 1/2 teaspoon instead of 1/2 tablespoon?

Conchobar

Well now.. that could in fact be a problem. :) Hitting the reset button. Thanks.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hehe :-) hope I saved the day! ;-)

I love this type of tea and this one is really delicious. Beautiful honey-like aroma and tastes of cocoa, sweet potato and bread-like pastry. A hint peppery and so sweet, delicate and smooth. Re-steeped well. Yum!

Another wonderful tea from Whispering Pines! This one has such a rich and deep aroma, like a damp mossy forest, tinged with a soft wisp of cocoa. And the taste lives up to the scent: golden smooth, with strong notes of cocoa and bread and honey. This is the kind of tea that makes me slow down and pay attention to each sip, because it’s just that good. And it keeps me coming back for multiple cups, too. I’ll have to take more detailed notes sometime, about the nuances in each steeping. For now, though, I’m just enjoying how delicious it is.

One of the best black teas that I’ve tried so far. I might not always be able to restock it, but I’ll be sad if I don’t have any around, that’s for sure!

Delicious. Smooth, with a slight grassy flavor and a natural almost-caramel sweetness. It doesn’t really seem like black tea… more like green, but with the sweetness of a high quality black.

Update: then I steeped it too long and it definitely tasted like more normal black tea. It is MUCH better steeped correctly.

Another black tea from the Cameron B. pile!

I’m kind of really tired and braindead today so I’m afraid this review won’t be super detailed. In short, this was a tasty golden yunnan and I definitely enjoyed my cup of it, although it didn’t really stand out to me very strongly. A little bit of cocoa powder, some breadiness, and a hint of sweet potato. Smooth and slightly sweet. I will definitely have to compare this one more closely with the Golden Snail since they are both golden yunnans.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Elena

Hi I read your post on Manliandao Tea Market and was wondering if you still have flashcards in Mandarin? I like greens/oolongs/whites mostly Taiwanese high altitude but wondering if you have any tips on which local Chinese teas would be good to buy (ie hard to find outside China, better value etc). Thank you!

Dinosara

I do still have the PDF. I’ve followed you, so you can PM me your email address and I’ll send it to you! Basically most teas you will find in the market will be very very good in comparison to what you get outside China. It was pretty astounding! My best recommendation is to wander around and do tastings and such. And always ask for a discount!

Dry leaf aroma: Malty with a hint of yeasty sweetness.
Dry leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/sZVQOaFcAE/

Wet leaf aroma: Malt and bread with a delicate earthy essence.
Wet leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/sZegualcJK/

Preparation: Brewed western style in a ceramic infuser mug.

First steeping: 3 minutes at 205 degrees. This tea is as much a pleasure to smell as it is to sip with its malty bread aroma. The liquor is velvety smooth with a strong freshly baked bread flavor and a subtle buttery mouth-feel. As the cup cools I detect a bit of sweetness and the aftertaste is bread with a buttery note that lingers pleasantly.

Second steeping: 5 minutes at 205 degrees. Very much like the first infusion. The buttery notes are more prominent and the mouth-feel is creamy with a yeasty aftertaste.

I wish I had time to do further steepings, as this is a tea worthy of taking your time to savor.

One thing to note, the key for me with Dian Hong is to underleaf slightly or it comes out a bit bitter. I think that has more to do with my taste buds being quirky rather than being an issue with the tea or my water. Regardless, this is an awesome tea. Lovely to look at, intoxicating to smell, and heavenly to sip!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Sweet, Yeasty