Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong

Chinese Black Tea
Cocoa, Floral, Hay, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Flowers, Mineral, Tea, Chocolate, Sweet, Honey, Vanilla, Cacao, Dark Chocolate, Oak wood, Baked Bread, Pepper, Molasses, Peanut, Rose, Yams, Raisins, Caramel, Creamy, Hot hay, Wet Earth, Butter, Yeasty, Smooth, Dried Fruit, Pastries
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “From Considering a new Travelling Tea Box This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5 grams...” Read full tasting note
    dr-jim 282 tasting notes
  • “This was not at all bitter and much less tannic than other black teas I’ve had. I did two western style steeps, the first was 3 minutes and the second was 5. This tea really heated me up...” Read full tasting note
    ac4lt 40 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Towards the end of the packet, I noticed the leaves weren’t as soft and fuzzy anymore. They became a little more dry and spindly. To be fair, I have had this in my cupboard for a...” Read full tasting note
    cathy-zheng 107 tasting notes
  • “I have had an awful lot of black tea lately, I’m not sure how this happened… I think I’ve had something like six different black teas in the past week and that’s roughly...” Read full tasting note
    nishnek 50 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
This is the highest grade black tea that you will find outside of China. Centuries of knowledge and tea master perfection went into picking and processing this dazzling Dian Hong style balck tea! The appearance alone is enough to knock you off your feet, with golden hairs covering the velvety soft leaves!

This tea is harvested in the spring from ancient tea bushes in Yunnan, China and carries lovely complex notes of malt, cocoa, warm pinewood, honey, morel mushrooms, and a damp forest aroma. This years harvest of this fantastic tea is smoother than previous harvests, with a new pinewood note comparable to warm wet pine after a summer storm. Imperial Gold Bud Black Tea is thick and lively with a clean aftertaste and carries an intense energy (cha qi).

We are very proud to be able to offer small quantities of this rare tea and will continue to offer Imperial Gold Bud as long as mother nature allows!

Notes
Malt
Cocoa
Warm Pinewood
Mushroom
Honey
Damp Forest

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

From Considering a new Travelling Tea Box

This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5 grams (though increased the water to 8 oz from my usual 6).

This was an amazing tea. I was initially hesitant at the Yunnan-like damp forest aroma, but there was an underlying note of cocoa, and I didn’t find it off-putting. The flavor is HUGE. I won’t use as much next time, yet the strength was wonderful: a big, complex, mouth-filling tea. The flavor changed subtly in my mouth and as the cup cooled, making it hard to identify specifics, but it retained the forest/cocoa notes in the nose. The finish was also delightful and strong. A great tea.

There is only about 5 grams left in the box, but I’m afraid I’m claiming it.

I should probably give this a 100, but I’ve always been a tough grader.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey Doc! Glad you enjoyed this! :)

I think (unless I was totally out of it and messed up) that the instructions called for 1/2 tablespoon rather than 1/2 teaspoon. This tea also was a reserve tea but as of today has been moved up to a regular stock item, and can be found here: http://whisperingpinestea.com/yunnangold.html

The one you had and the one currently offered is a 2012 harvest. When stock runs out of the 2012 we will be replenishing each fresh harvest. :)

Glad you enjoyed this and had a good first impression of Whispering Pines!

Please keep things friendly and .

This tea really heated me up inside and got me going. I was amazed how warming it was even after the cup had cooled so perhaps more suited to cooler weather, but it was nice to drink a black tea where I didn’t need to load it up with sugar to be able to drink it. Though I guess there is a sharpness to all black teas that sugar or honey complements. I’m sure a touch of sweet would go well with this.

It’s been a few hours since I’ve had the tea and I still feel the effects. Potent stuff! I’m not sure how to rate it yet. I think I can brew it better but definitely one to explore more!

Sipdown!

To be fair, I have had this in my cupboard for a fairly long time and they still tasted pretty much as good as they were.

These are absolutely delicious, but it does become weak by the third steep so perhaps I won’t be buying this a third time.

I still highly recommend this however.

Please keep things friendly and .

I have had an awful lot of black tea lately, I’m not sure how this happened… I think I’ve had something like six different black teas in the past week and that’s roughly perhaps half of the ones I’ve acquired this past couple of weeks somehow. Anyway, moving on, got this in the $5 sampler that WP is now offering to try their teas, awesome deal.

Threw about 4.5 grams in an autobrewer since my attempts at gong fu black tea so far have been a bit discouraging (I think I may be too heavy a steeper). This had a nice, surprisingly floral scent coming from the leaves, which were a bit moist feeling and yet a bit crunchy as well, very unique and pretty. The liquor was an attractive orange brown, the taste was a surprisingly moderate malt flavor that shifted into chocolate with a malt body as you sipped. There was a definite flavor of sweet potato or yam in the second steep along with that touch of raw sour that seems to accompany black tea and potato. The aroma turned floral again, surprisingly, around the third steep, and it became lighter, with a bit of hay. I probably could have pushed it more, but ran out of time and ended this there. I’m going to have to revisit the rest of my sample with a gaiwan soon to see what all I missed out on.

Overall, it was quite pleasant and much lighter than I’ve come to expect of black tea, not to mention the surprisingly floral aromas I caught. I’ll need to revisit my other samples to see if this is due to the auto brewer or a character of this tea. There is indeed quite a bit of buzzy energy from this tea, though (either that or a helluva lot of caffeine), as I was a bit frenetically enthusiastic and dropped the lid to my pot a couple of times (thankfully not far) while refilling after the second cup.

Additional note amendment, when you push it past three steeps in a gaiwan, it really opens up a crazy sweet sweet potato/yam flavor explosion in the back of the mouth and throat I was NOT expecting on steep 4 as I thought the flavor was fading in the third steep. Floral tastes start standing out late game as well, flavor is more delicate overall. I quite preferred the later steeps, honestly, especially as they lent well to the heavy steeping my intuition generally wants, haha

Flavors: Cocoa, Floral, Hay, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 tsp 11 OZ / 325 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Whispering Pines had this one down as “The highest grade tea you can find outside of china” or something along those lines. It certainly wasn’t a disappointment. It didn’t have any particular flavor in the foreground which I think was the most appealing thing about this tea. There was some cocoa, a bit of malt, definitely flowers. The main thing i thought about this one is that it is a bit too similar to the other blacks I got from whispering pines, nothing really made this one stand out from the crowd for me, except that it was a pretty balanced, and generally satisfying cup of tea. I should say, Whispering Pines teas always surprise me with how much they hold up to multiple brewings. This tea is definitely worth the try.

Flavors: Cocoa, Flowers, Malt, Mineral, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 30 sec 7 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Love this tea! Very needed tea to recover from work.

I’m glad that I don’t normally sit and work on the computer all day. I got a lot done working on things that got missed or overlooked. Still pretty headache inducing.

Nursed this in a gaiwan for about a hour. Keeps giving flavor, great taste. Cocoa, malt, sweet potato, chocolate yum.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Please keep things friendly and .

I got REALLY EXCELLENT sweet potato notes from this one today – clearly I caught it at just the right time. Unfortunately, I wasn’t paying attention to my parameters so I’ll probably never be able to recreate exactly the same circumstances. That’s what comes from pottering around absent mindedly when you’re half asleep.

Enjoyed it, though. Dian Hong rules.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp

Please keep things friendly and .

This is my first ‘real’ tea and I think I’m off to a good start! Not going to rate it on the point scale because I don’t have a clue how it compares to other stuff. Also definitely need to develop my ability to taste and identify notes.

First steep: 12 oz office boiling water tap, a little less than 1 T of tea, 3 min steep.
Yummy and rich.

Second steep: added a splash of cream. Feeling a little woozy from all the caffeine today — probably shouldn’t steep again. Get a chocolate-y smell from it this time. Perhaps mixing the cream into it helps with that?

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Vanilla

3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Rasseru

If you look at the the flavours listed – Wow thats got a lot of different ones. Just shows how subjective the tasting is, 27 tasting notes, 26 recognised flavour notes

kristinalee

Whoa, didn’t you order this like yesterday? That was FAST.

ekm0924

Ha I know, I ordered it just Monday. I was very happy and surprised when it walked into my office today :)

kristinalee

Yeah, I saw you interact with Brennan in a web thread, so I remembered! LOL. Anyway, I think that tea is a really good one, but I haven’t tried a Chinese black tea yet that I thought worked well with milk or cream. I use them a lot with black teas too, but usually more with things labeled “English breakfast” or something and grown in India.

ekm0924

Interesting. I’d like to get some Assams (as well as English type teas) and it will be fun to compare how those handle milk vs. Chinese black teas.

Liquid Proust

Bottom line for tasting notes: If you liked the tea, it was a success :)

Please keep things friendly and .

Wowza! This has got to be one of, if not, the best black teas I’ve ever had. I only got a sample but will definitely buy more than a sample next time. It brews a beautiful “gold” color. The aroma is mesmerizing, chocolate. The taste, as if you were putting a piece of 70% cacao dark chocolate directly in your mouth. Just a very little perfect hint of sweetness.

Flavors: Cacao, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Oak wood, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 7 OZ / 200 ML
Myssy

I have some almost every day

tea-junkie

I do not blame you. I probably will too once I stock up on this. Which I will do sooner rather than later.

Please keep things friendly and .

Like cocoa bread in a cup. Not chocolate bread, mind you, but cocoa bread. The kind that doesn’t have sugar added to it. Reminds me very strongly of Golden Fleece. A cup of pure wow. Thanks to whoever included this with a swap or a stash purchase – I’m thinking either Marzipan or Liquid Proust.