Golden Snail (Bi Luo Chun) Yunnan Black

Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Butter, Chocolate, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Malt, Maple, Smooth, Apricot, Molasses, Sweet Potatoes, Grain, Wet Earth, Roasted Barley
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

ABOUT THE TEA
This Yunnan black tea was harvested in early spring (2014) and carries a robust and delicious flavor profile! The first thing you taste is a the thick honey flavor giving way to creamy cocoa with a touch of malt. A heavy molasses-like sweetness lingers on your tongue while juicy morel plays with a hint of gardenia in the aftertaste. This tea is delicious hot as well as iced and holds up very well to three or more infusions!

NOTES
Milk Chocolate, Molasses, Malt, Morel, Cream, Gardenias

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Mmm this is a marvelous tea :) so smooth with caramel and chocolate notes.

thank you KallieBoo!

I didn’t have good luck with this tea today. There was something funny about the tea, but i’m not sure if the tea was contaminated or i just goofed it up. oh well. I’ll eventually get round to placing an order with WP and maybe ill try it again. thanks for sending this my way!

My first tea from the Pass the Stash 2.0 Box. This is one of the two teas Cameron B. sent just for me. Yay!

I’ve read several tasting notes on this tea, so when I took my first sip I was expecting malt, bread, and honey. What I got was honeysuckle and sweet potato. No complaints here – the flavor is amazing. I am surprised at how strong the floral note is, but the earthiness of the sweet potato note helps keep the tea from being too floral in character. As the tea cools the malty flavor appears. Oh, I’m really liking this. Such a beautiful tea!

mj

Snaily yums!

Cameron B.

I’m so glad you like it! :) This is one of my favorites.

Veronica

It’s sooo good! It’s a million degrees in my house right now, but I’m sitting in front of a fan drinking my second steeping of this. :)

Snaily yumminess. I may have some of that after I finish off this Cocoa Amore

I see why so many people love this tea. To start with, the little fuzzy snails are so cute. The tea is smooth, malty, chocolatey yum. So far I have steeped it a couple of times, but I think I could do more with shorter steeps. It’s pretty strong and dark.

“Wee snaily yums” is right.

This tea…what is this tea? It’s a slice of buttery, perfectly toasted bread, drizzled with sweet honey and maple syrup. Lightly dusted with powdered sugar. There’s a tiny hint of spice that makes me think there’s cinnamon on top too. Visualize it. Mmmmm. There’s some malt and chocolate in there, towards the end. I mean GOOD chocolate, none of that Hershey’s bullshit. My college roommate last year was a young woman from Kazakstan. She brought me a bar of milk chocolate from her country and it was better than any milk chocolate I had ever eaten. That’s what I mean. It was creamy, melt-in-your-mouth delicious. This tea is exactly that. It’s the best, buttery flaky croissant I’ve ever had. It’s the best milk chocolate and the lightest, loveliest honey.

You better have a good reason for not having this in your cupboard.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Chocolate, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Malt, Maple, Smooth

Yummy :-)

kimquat

I’ve been drinking WPT on the daily! I think I’m addicted. Best addiction EVER

TheTeaFairy

BEST EVERRRR!!! Lol, welcome to my world..

This tea is delicious . I have to admit I’m partial to Yunnan blacks. Very rich and satisfying. Malty, creamy, some chestnuts. As cooled I’ve got some slight spice which was welcoming. It’s fun tea and I’m glad I picked it with my recent order. Made it western according to WP parameters. I have to try it gongfu , my usual style of brewing Yunnan blacks.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Yummy snaily tea :-)

boychik

Tiny :)
Resteep @ 6 min was great, rich, spicier, roasty and some minty notes showed up

Thank you Brenden for including this sample in my last order. It sounded so good that I had to drink it immediately. Unfortunately, I finished both cups of this a few hours ago so I don’t remember much, but I feel like I tasted spices and sweet potato and warm baked bread. It was delicious and I enjoyed each steep.

I might grab an oz for my next order just to get a better feel for it!

VariaTEA

I was looking at this one when making my potential Whispering Pines order but it was sold out.

Terri HarpLady

I didn’t order any because I already have plenty of tasty black bi luos from YS.

Dag Wedin

Yeah tried this from YS last year i think. Its decent but less of everything compared to a good dian hong.

Cavocorax

Oh – I need to try them at some point too! Not soon, but eventually. :D

Now I can say that I have had “wee snaily yums” and my autocorrect REALLY wants that to be Yuma instead.

These little dingleberries of awesomeness certainly make a nice tea! And they’re cute. Then they morph into giant tea leaves. It’s like having sea monkies in tea form. It’s a show and a tea!

Yep, in a weird mood today!

Suziqzer

Sounds cool to watch!

Ubacat

Sea monkies! So cute. LOL

Terri HarpLady

Good old sea monkeys! They never quite measured up to the hype, but whatever.

MzPriss

I know Marzipan – I had to teach my auto-correct all about wee snaily yums. Stupid iphone.

Lariel

Now I want some.

Up next from the recent WP order. I am not yet well versed in Yunnan’s. I know I have had a few, but not enough to really know. I made the mistake tonight of starting to sip this tea with a bowl of strawberries in front of me. The sweet from the fruit did not help this tea out. It made my first few sips a bit wishy washy. Once I got the sweet taste out of my mouth I was able to focus on the tea a bit more. I enjoyed this cup. I get malty, tad bit of honey-ish flavor with a bright finish. I will need to have another go with this cup without a bowl full of fruit to get to know this one a bit better.

Cameron B.

Love this one! I’m so glad I ordered an ounce during the sale. :)

This is a purr-ful one.

TheTeaFairy

Oh, now me want a cup…no strawberries required ;-)

Cameron B.

Of course not, everyone knows tea fairies prefer crunchy cherries!

TheTeaFairy

Haha Cameron, good one :-)
(They totally do!!!)

Hooray, more Whispering Pines! This sample came from the giant Yunnapalooza pack sent to me by the lovely and generous Nicole. I was pretty excited to try this for a couple reasons: 1 – it’s super cute!, and 2 – I ordered an ounce of this in the 4th of July sale this past weekend. The leaves are so cute and beautiful, and just looking at them makes me think of “wee snaily yums” and that makes me think of those adorable snail fairy land pictures provided by mj! Squee! When I opened the paper packet, I immediately smelled Fruit Loops. Huh? The scent is very honeyed and there’s a definite stonefruit note, which I am starting to find common in Yunnans, especially very tippy ones. I brewed this according to the package directions.

Mmm the aroma! Lovely yeasty bread and mild sweet potato! Tart stonefruit with honey and molasses! Exclamation point! Needless to say, waiting for it to cool was agony… #firstworldproblems. The taste is surprisingly light for a black tea! But it is definitely full of flavor, just without a lot of heaviness. My first impression is of lovely light, crispy toast with honey slathered over the top. There in the middle is that sweet potato, very creamy and smooth in texture. And in the back there’s molasses, adding a lovely richness and depth to the overall taste. And is that a little hint of floral near the end? According to the website description, it’s gardenia, and since I have no concept of that I will have to take their word for it! I was missing the stonefruit from the aroma, but then I got a nice pop of apricot in the aftertaste, which was unexpected but wonderful!

This is my favorite Yunnan yet, and I am very glad that I ordered an ounce! Can’t wait to try the Imperial Gold Bud, too! :)

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Floral, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Sweet Potatoes

Marzipan

HAH at wee snaily yums!

Cameron B.

This tea will forever be unofficially known as wee snaily yums. Thanks MzPriss! :P

yyz

Yum!

Nicole

Glad you liked it! :)

I didn’t like it, I loved it! :D

MzPriss

It’s awesome tea – I adore it and yes, WSYs!!!! I like that Brenden changed the name to reflect its Golden Snailness