Golden Snail Yunnan Black Tea

Chinese Black Tea
Creamy, Honey, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Malt, Brown Sugar, Cocoa, Molasses, Baked Bread, Butter, Chocolate, Floral, Maple, Smooth, Apricot, Grain, Wet Earth, Roasted Barley
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

ABOUT THE TEA
This Yunnan black tea was harvested in early spring (2014) and carries a robust and delicious flavor profile! The first thing you taste is a the thick honey flavor giving way to creamy cocoa with a touch of malt. A heavy molasses-like sweetness lingers on your tongue while juicy morel plays with a hint of gardenia in the aftertaste. This tea is delicious hot as well as iced and holds up very well to three or more infusions!

NOTES
Milk Chocolate, Molasses, Malt, Morel, Cream, Gardenias

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Mmm this is a marvelous tea :) so smooth with caramel and chocolate notes.

backlog from yesterday – thanks again to dexter for letting me try this one. On the whole, this wasn’t a bad cup of tea, but i’m glad that this is one that i don’t feel the need to order from WP. There was a bitterness there that i didn’t love. still not a bad cup..just not one i need to keep around.

Final Count yesterday: 114

2073 tasting notes

In addition to my giant Lupicia box, I received my swap package from Christina and it is packed full of tasty teas. This was one of those teas and it is one I have wanted to try for a while. I mean, when its referred to as “Wee Snaily Yums”, how could my interest not be piqued.

With my first sip, I can certainly see why so many rave about this tea. It is smooth and silky, like honey and caramel but also a touch earthy, like the taste one would find in a sweet potato. It is good. Really good. And has a perfect touch of malt. Yum! So, thank you Christina for passing some along and also thank you to Ost for being the original supplier :P. This is one I will be seeking out again soon.

After yesterday’s debacle involving Jabberwocky tasting like pretzel dough, I decided to brew this up using filtered water. I do think it’s made a difference, but how much I can’t tell….

The smell when this first brewed up was definitely sweet potato with a bit of malt/honey. The taste was very similar, but I wanted to let it cool down a bit.

Now that it’s cooler, a new variety of flavours are coming out. I can smell honey, but I also think I taste a bit of plum along side the smooth maltiness.

I’m not getting caramel the way others have, but that’s fine. Glad I got to try a bit of this!

This was originally a swap from Ost. I had half, and am saving the remainder to send off to Variatea so this is technically a sipdown.

Was craving this one when I woke up! And it definitely hit the spot. I forgot how rich and almost creamy this one is. It tastes strongly of sweet potatoes and honey to me.
On top of the amazing flavor, it’s also freakin’ adorable. Love how it looks. Just makes me smile, no matter what!
Really good tea to start my morning out with. And I’m happy to say this one is definitely a staple in my collection!

Flavors: Creamy, Honey, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

cookies

Sounds amazing. I really need to get a WP order in!

Ost

I could send you some if you want! (:

cookies

Thank you so much for the offer. I would accept by I’m trying my hardest to control my cupboard. No new teas allowed until BF :)

Ost

Haha okay. No problem, i understand (:

The dry leaf is so cute to look at and scoop out of the package.

Tastes of sweet potato, malt, cocoa and some spice – delicious and smooth.

Very nice!

Mmm, I love this tea! For the first steeping, I can detect strong notes of bread and honey, both in the scent and the taste. If I sip it nice and slow, I also taste a cocoa note near the end of the sip (and I even catch a little of the gardenia aftertaste that’s described on the WP website!). I took my time with this tea today, and savored all three of the recommended infusions for Western-style steeping. All three were excellent—though I will admit that the first one was my favorite.

This is a wonderful Yunnan black tea, smooth and complex, just like so many of the teas from Whispering Pines. I’m definitely considering restocking this one (and I’ve tried tons of excellent teas lately, so that’s saying something). I need to try it gongfu style soon!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

HIGHLY recommend this gongfu style! SOOOO much better! :D

Thank you TeaTiff for the swap! It’s terrible it’s taking a while for me to try these teas. I’m trying! These leaves are little coils of gold with hints of black. There is a fragrance of tomato soup before I even take a sip. The flavor is lovely – very smooth, tomato soup, honey, hints of chocolate, sweet potato, bit of spice. A ridiculous combination if you think about it, but the flavors work perfectly together… only in tea! The second steep really melded together and deepened… more difficult to pick out the flavors like I did in the first cup but very delicious!
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // few min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 5 min

Smooth, medium-bodied, pleasant, flavorful. There is nothing offensive about this tea and I think it would be a good starter straight black for someone to try. While it may not be my personal favorite, it is definitely worth consideration for those that tend to avoid the heavy-bodied CTC types in the morning.

2031 tasting notes

Another WP sample from Cameron B.! Get used to seeing that line, because I have a bunch to go through. :)

This is quite delicious. A very nice golden yunnan tea. Nice and sweet potato-y, and with a hint of molasses as well, like a sweet potato with brown sugar. Mmmmm. A little bit of cocoa flirting around the edges, and overall the texture is thick and creamy. Thanks for the sample of this one Cameron, it was very enjoyable!

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Cocoa, Molasses, Sweet Potatoes