Golden Snail Yunnan Black Tea

Chinese Black Tea
Broth, Caramel, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Raisins, White Grapes, Smooth, Floral, Gardenias, Sweet, Maple, Winter Honey, Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Grain, Molasses, Nutty, Peanut, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Tobacco, Pepper, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dried Fruit, Brown Sugar, Butter, Cacao, Maple Syrup, Oak wood, Apricot, Wet Earth
High
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

ABOUT THE TEA
This Yunnan black tea was harvested in early spring (2014) and carries a robust and delicious flavor profile! The first thing you taste is a the thick honey flavor giving way to creamy cocoa with a touch of malt. A heavy molasses-like sweetness lingers on your tongue while juicy morel plays with a hint of gardenia in the aftertaste. This tea is delicious hot as well as iced and holds up very well to three or more infusions!

NOTES
Milk Chocolate, Molasses, Malt, Morel, Cream, Gardenias

Our preferred style for this tea is gongfu.

Western Style:
Steep 1 teaspoon (1.8g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.
3rd infusion: 8 minutes.

Gongfu Style:
Use 1.5g of leaf per 30ml (1 fl. oz.) of 205ºF water
Infusion times: 20s, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m15s, 2m, 3m

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Mmm this is a marvelous tea :) so smooth with caramel and chocolate notes.

backlog from yesterday – thanks again to dexter for letting me try this one. On the whole, this wasn’t a bad cup of tea, but i’m glad that this is one that i don’t feel the need to order from WP. There was a bitterness there that i didn’t love. still not a bad cup..just not one i need to keep around.

Final Count yesterday: 114

Another lovely sample thanks to Nichole!

I liked this one. Did this one exactly as instructed on the Whispering Pines Site. First brew, there was a creamy mouthfeel and it kinda reminded me of a really light milk chocolate. There was some caramel and honey to me, but then it became very malty, then broth like. I’m guessing the broth is the morel note. Steep two again had malt and broth. Three, there was a weird, fruity character that reminded me of the grape in North Winds, but different and very faint compared to the malt. Four, more like a raisin. Five, it starts to taste like any other golden tea in the later steep, with the same faint malt but again, a little bit of raisin.

This was good, but I agree with Liquid Proust and like the Imperial Bud more. To me, it wasn’t quite as sweet and I don’t like the raisin quality too much. More of an experienced drinker’s tea, or one that you’d introduce golden teas to a newbie with. I also think that people who like Darjeelings might appreciate it a little bit.

Flavors: Broth, Caramel, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Raisins, White Grapes

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Liquid Proust

Whispering Pines had a chai that used these and it was great! But, as I’ve said and you’ve remarked about: the imperial bud is just… the best.

Daylon R Thomas

I actually looked at the ingredients for the Eldorado Chai, and it turns out I have all of them. Probably nothing as good as the real thing, but I’ve made chai before.

Daylon R Thomas

Wow, it actually worked! The vanilla didn’t come all the way through though. A part of me should have just kept the vanilla on its own and not do the chai spices.

Liquid Proust

Good ingredients + more good ingredients normally comes out well if done right :)

Daylon R Thomas

:) The vanilla came in more through the second time. I think if I left the vanilla there with the black on it’s own, it would have been really close to the Imperial because it has a caramel, vanilla note that this one didn’t have. It was so close to being perfect on its own, but cream and sugar brought out the vanilla even more. It was perfect with the cream and sugar…so close.

Fun times :)

Good solid tasty tea. Predominantly malt and carb with a wisp of cocoa, nice combo. Western brewed, had a brief astringency in the post-sip. Thanks to WP for the lovely sample!

This tea reminds me of chocolate covered raisins. It’s sweet and chocolaty with a subtle dried fruit flavour. Love it!!

After seeing the rave reviews this tea’s been getting on Steepster, I just had to order an ounce for myself. It’s delicious! The first steeping gave me notes of caramel and honey, with a thick and smooth mouthfeel. I’m hooked.

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Malt

This tea is quite delicious!

Flavors: Caramel, Smooth

Finally reviewing this tea now that I finished it off.
The reviews for this tea are great so I saved it until I had time to really evaluate it. After three different sessions with this tea I found that I was rather disappointed. While this brews a nice cup, the Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong was absolutely superior and I cannot forget how good it was so now all other golden teas have a higher bar to reach. This isn’t to say that this tea is bad, its just my standard is rather high now.

Amazing. I’m used to black teas from India or Nepal so this one was a surprise. It’s tasty and complex. The sweet flavour is really complemented with some rock sugar (and even milk, why not?). I think I’ll need to buy more of it because the pouch I got is so tiny… I was not overwhelmed by the Jabberwocky but this one is a win!

Flavors: Caramel, Malt

The first thing I have to say about this tea is whattttt thhhheee haiiiillllllll this is so goooodddd!!!! This tea is unbelievable I can’t even begin to describe it. So many complex flavors going on. The one that really stands out to me is how incredibly floral it is. On the Whispering Pines website there is a description of gardenia…. That could not be anymore accurate I seriously thought that I had accidentally poured my scented oil into my cup (oil burner sits very close to my tea cups) but I didn’t, trust me! But wait, it gets better. On the initial sip my mouth is happily greeted by a smooth mouth feel and intensely sweet honey and malty flavor. Incredible. So good that the flavor is giving me euphoria and setting off endorphins in my brain! Whispering Pines deserves a trophy for this one. Like every tea I have ever order from them is another amazingly delicious, flavorful, and high quality tea from Whispering Pines… Oh yeah, and did I mention how beautifully gold the tea is?

Flavors: Floral, Gardenias, Honey, Malt, Sweet

Cachou972

I think I might get addicted to Whispering Pines… All their teas look delicious. To me, this golden snail is between black and oolong, like you said very floral. Yum!

CaseyGuitars

@cathou972 You and me both! They don’t have a bad product! I couldn’t agree more with you!