Golden Snail Yunnan Black Tea

Chinese Black Tea
Grain, Honey, Pepper, Sweet Potatoes, Malt, Bitter, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Sweet, Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Creamy, Brown Sugar, Molasses, Baked Bread, Butter, Floral, Maple, Smooth, Apricot, Wet Earth, Roasted Barley
High
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

ABOUT THE TEA
This Yunnan black tea was harvested in early spring (2014) and carries a robust and delicious flavor profile! The first thing you taste is a the thick honey flavor giving way to creamy cocoa with a touch of malt. A heavy molasses-like sweetness lingers on your tongue while juicy morel plays with a hint of gardenia in the aftertaste. This tea is delicious hot as well as iced and holds up very well to three or more infusions!

NOTES
Milk Chocolate, Molasses, Malt, Morel, Cream, Gardenias

Our preferred style for this tea is gongfu.

Western Style:
Steep 1 teaspoon (1.8g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.
3rd infusion: 8 minutes.

Gongfu Style:
Use 1.5g of leaf per 30ml (1 fl. oz.) of 205ºF water
Infusion times: 20s, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m15s, 2m, 3m

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Mmm this is a marvelous tea :) so smooth with caramel and chocolate notes.

backlog from yesterday – thanks again to dexter for letting me try this one. On the whole, this wasn’t a bad cup of tea, but i’m glad that this is one that i don’t feel the need to order from WP. There was a bitterness there that i didn’t love. still not a bad cup..just not one i need to keep around.

Final Count yesterday: 114

The lovely Dexter sent a sample of this along to me!

There were no steeping instructions that I could find, so I searched notes and then decided… f-it. Western it is.

It’s strong. It’s nice. Sweet and smooth. Very carby. IDK that I adore it, or that the flavours are ones I’d crave all the time, but it’s nice. And she thoughtfully included something like 5 other snaily teas for me to try as well. :D

Edit: Oh, as it cools it goes sour. Weird. I’m stuffed up a bit so I can’t smell much, but the taste is definitely sour, not bitter or astringent.

OMGsrsly

I added steeping instructions to Steepster. UGH.

Dexter

Did I not write instructions on the package? If there are company instructions on the original packaging I normally write them – if not then I don’t….. sorry….

OMGsrsly

Maybe? IDK, I just automatically turned to Steepster. Haha. And when I didn’t find the information here, I pouted and said “f- it!”

I know I’ve not done a tasting note on this tea before, but I do distinctly remember having it around the time I got my Whispering Pines order. This isn’t the type of tea you can really do a backlog on, though, so I waited until now so my tasting note would be more accurate.

This is a great example of a yunnan, I feel like. The dry leaf was so fuzzy and tightly curled, and the smell emanating from the back was all starch and sweet potatoes. I followed the steeping parameters recommended by Brenden and it yielded a gorgeous honey brown liquor.

The taste mostly honeyed wheat with a starchy mouthfeel. Mostly it reminded me of the crust of a loaf of freshly baked honey wheat bread. Sweet, but also savory. This is a very filling, warming cup.

After the leaves are steeped they unfurl and begin to smell almost fruity- specifically like the raisin notes of an assam. That could be because I smelled the Harmutty Assam tea earlier this morning so that scent is fresh on my mind, but I really do get that note from it. And I really like it.

This is quite, quite good. I don’t like it as much as I enjoyed the Jabberwocky, but having a straight Yunnan does allow me to see the characteristics it lends to that blend. Still, I did find it really warming, and as the cold weather will be around for a while yet I’m sure I will be drinking this again soon.

Flavors: Grain, Honey, Pepper, Sweet Potatoes

Thank you so much to beelicious for the generous sample of this tea!

I’ve been curious to try something from Whispering Pines ever since I joined Steepster and started reading all of the rave reviews. I even visited the website a few times, but I could never quite bring myself to order. I’m the kind of person who clips coupons and buys most of my wardrobe at thrift stores, after all…could this tea really be amazing enough to justify the high price tag?

Apparently, yes! Setting aside how adorable the dry leaf is, this is quite possibly the best straight black tea I’ve ever tasted. It is incredibly rich and full-bodied with a dense, malty flavor that’s delicious all by itself but I’m sure would also be amazing with milk. It has just a hint of sweetness to it and no bitterness or astringency at all that I noticed. And, on top of all that, it re-steeps beautifully with almost no reduction in flavor. I brewed this Western-style and got SEVEN delicious infusions before I was ready to move on (and I probably could have done more if I wasn’t anxious to try a different tea.)

Next time Whispering Pines has a sale, I think I’m going to have to break down and place an order…

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

As I’m on a roll with Whispering Pines teas at the moment, I decided to maintain the momentum. I received this as a sample with my last order, and, as I love Chinese black teas, I was pleased to have the opportunity to give it a try. The dry leaf is a beautiful thing; slightly downy bright golden swirls with brownish black edges, which really do bring to mind snail shells.

I followed the recommended parameters, and gave 1 tsp of leaf 3 minutes in boiling water. The resulting liquor is a medium red-brown, and the scent while brewing is sweetly malty with an edge of grain.

To taste, this one is a wonderfully smooth delight. The initial flavour is chocolate (I’d say milk, as it’s quite sweet and mild), followed by a lightly bready note. Freshly cooked, warm, yeasty bread. The sweetness is maintained into the mid sip, where there’s a wonderful maltiness, and the almost starchy flavour of sweet potato. The flavour deepens in the aftertaste, and I can detect a slightly darker, bittersweet note that works as the perfect counterpoint to the initial sweetness. Now it’s more like dark chocolate dusted with dry cocoa, but there’s absolutely no astringency.

I’ve come to really appreciate teas like this, which tick all the boxes for me in terms of flavours I enjoy in black tea. There are others I enjoy equally, but this is a strong contender and one I’d be happy to keep around long term.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I’m excited to be finally getting to sample more Whispering Pines teas, thanks to Lindsay.

Golden Snail is pretty lovely. Very rich tasting, with notes of cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, sweet potato, and malt. There’s a surprising floral note that pops up for just a moment mid sip, and then fades out to a malty sweetness.

Brewed according to directions, this is quite bitter, but it’s a very pleasant bitterness, the way that dark chocolate or olives are bitter. Only the mildest hints of astringency.

The only thing I’m not enjoying about this cup is the faint smell of feet after it cooled. What the heck? It isn’t affecting the taste at all, and disappears as soon as I pull my nose away from the cup, but it’s definitely there and weird.

Oh well. This is still totally drinkable and delicious.

Flavors: Bitter, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Malt, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Maddy Barone

I just ordered a couple teas from them. I got cocoa amore and North Winds, Can’t wait to try them!

Anlina

I have a sample of North Winds that’s waiting to be tried :)

In addition to my giant Lupicia box, I received my swap package from Christina and it is packed full of tasty teas. This was one of those teas and it is one I have wanted to try for a while. I mean, when its referred to as “Wee Snaily Yums”, how could my interest not be piqued.

With my first sip, I can certainly see why so many rave about this tea. It is smooth and silky, like honey and caramel but also a touch earthy, like the taste one would find in a sweet potato. It is good. Really good. And has a perfect touch of malt. Yum! So, thank you Christina for passing some along and also thank you to Ost for being the original supplier :P. This is one I will be seeking out again soon.

After yesterday’s debacle involving Jabberwocky tasting like pretzel dough, I decided to brew this up using filtered water. I do think it’s made a difference, but how much I can’t tell….

The smell when this first brewed up was definitely sweet potato with a bit of malt/honey. The taste was very similar, but I wanted to let it cool down a bit.

Now that it’s cooler, a new variety of flavours are coming out. I can smell honey, but I also think I taste a bit of plum along side the smooth maltiness.

I’m not getting caramel the way others have, but that’s fine. Glad I got to try a bit of this!

This was originally a swap from Ost. I had half, and am saving the remainder to send off to Variatea so this is technically a sipdown.

Another snaily tea! This one has a lot more gold colour, like more gold than black, and a sweeter scent to the dry leaves. As it started brewing, the aroma was actually really mild, but a couple minutes in, it started to get really chocolatey. The flavour has a blend of chocolate, fruit, sweet potato and malty notes, and a long finish with sweetness and a bit of spice. It’s really nice, sweet and smooth.

Flavors: Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Malt, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes