Golden Snail Yunnan Black Tea

Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Cantaloupe, Grain, Oats, Salt, Sweet Potatoes, White Grapes, Chocolate, Floral, Malt, Cocoa, Nutty, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Cacao, Honey, Broth, Creamy, Raisins, Smooth, Gardenias, Sweet, Maple, Winter Honey, Molasses, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Tobacco, Pepper, Bitter, Dark Bittersweet, Dried Fruit, Brown Sugar, Butter, Maple Syrup, Oak wood, Apricot, Wet Earth
High
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

ABOUT THE TEA
This Yunnan black tea was harvested in early spring (2014) and carries a robust and delicious flavor profile! The first thing you taste is a the thick honey flavor giving way to creamy cocoa with a touch of malt. A heavy molasses-like sweetness lingers on your tongue while juicy morel plays with a hint of gardenia in the aftertaste. This tea is delicious hot as well as iced and holds up very well to three or more infusions!

NOTES
Milk Chocolate, Molasses, Malt, Morel, Cream, Gardenias

Our preferred style for this tea is gongfu.

Western Style:
Steep 1 teaspoon (1.8g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.
3rd infusion: 8 minutes.

Gongfu Style:
Use 1.5g of leaf per 30ml (1 fl. oz.) of 205ºF water
Infusion times: 20s, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m15s, 2m, 3m

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Mmm this is a marvelous tea :) so smooth with caramel and chocolate notes.

Please keep things friendly and .

backlog from yesterday – thanks again to dexter for letting me try this one. On the whole, this wasn’t a bad cup of tea, but i’m glad that this is one that i don’t feel the need to order from WP. There was a bitterness there that i didn’t love. still not a bad cup..just not one i need to keep around.

Final Count yesterday: 114

Backlog 29 July 2016

Notes taken while playing video games.

Dry leaf: A nice golden black hue to the leaf. Smells malty and sweet.

Wet leaf: Reminds me of baked bread/dark beer. Has a slight dark chocolate note. Very rich caramel note after the third steep. Slightly bitter after the fifth steep; however, it remains rich and tasty. Dry mouthfeel.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Dark Chocolate

Please keep things friendly and .

Wow. This tea is just wow. There’s just so much going on here I wish I wasn’t in such a rush to finish it off so I can get to work. Opens with very strong sweet potato notes followed by dark chocolate and caramel (actually very similar to some salted caramel truffles I made last week). Next there’s cantaloupe and white grapes and a faint hint of multi-grain bread and oats. This is quite possibly one of the first teas I’d be interested in re-steeping — perhaps next time if I’m in less of a rush.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cantaloupe, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Grain, Oats, Salt, Sweet Potatoes, White Grapes

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

Sounds amazing!

Please keep things friendly and .

An afternoon tea session covered in chocolate, roasted nuts, brown sugared roasted sweet potatoes, baked bread and so much more. This tea is full of happy notes and amazing aromatics. Beautiful dry leaf and gorgeous wet as well. Syrupy mouthfeel. This is an entire meal in a cup and just when you think it’s done a nice Guinness like malt after taste comes on. This is one happening black…

6g of leaf in a 120ml Seong-il, with 212F water, an unusually longer first steep of 30s and subsequent steeps at 10-15s with 10s climbs for over a half dozen steeps.

The Leaf:

The Session:

Boiling 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
R.F. Hill

I just bought a sample of this from Whispering Pines. I might give it a go tomorrow! However, my main goal is to work through the rest of the Dark Matter teas.

CWarren

So much tea, so little time.

Daylon R Thomas

It does taste kinda like Guinness…

R.F. Hill

Well, shoot. I guess I’ll have to try it NOW. Or have a Guinness for lunch! Ha-ha.

Please keep things friendly and .

If hot cocoa and black tea had a baby without adding cocoa nibs or anything this would be the tea result. It’s thick, rich, malty and chocolaty. I even think my housemate who says she hates tea will like this.

Please keep things friendly and .

Pretty much as described. It smells just like sweet potatoes. Not like other teas which have a slightly sweet scent, like caramelized sweet potatoes. The taste is pure malt, cocoa, and maybe bread< with a small bit of fruitiness, and a definite floral note. I would hazard more towards lilac than gardenia, but of course that’s just a point of taste. In general a very satisfying tea, that (though this was just a sample) I would buy again.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Floral, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 30 sec 7 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

The dry leaves smell fantastic, like chocolate almost. It was a real shock to me to be greeted with such a wonderful chocolate-y scent. The wet leaves are like somewhat nutty kind of, I think.

For this review, I did a few rounds of gongfu!

First infusion was awesome. So, so creamy mouthfeel!! I really enjoyed this one immediately. The chocolate flavoring comes through in the tea, along with that characteristic malty taste. I thought the smell was a bit neutral, but the taste is great. Very, very cocoa-y. I enjoyed this immensely. RATE: 8/10

Second infusion came out quite a bit darker, which might have been my fault. The smell was a bit stronger than the first time around too, it reminded me back to that chocolate leaf scent. The taste is less chocolate this time, more neutralized. I think I oversteeped this one a little, as it had a bit of a bitter aftertaste, but that didn’t take away from the overall experience. It was pretty good, if not a little neutral. Actually, thinking about it, the cocoa flavor from before now comes through as a more bitter cocoa, like dark chocolate. Very interesting. Second infusion was overall pretty good. RATE: 6.5/10

Third and final infusion tonight ended the experience with roasted cocoa notes, very yum. The bitterness from before has gone away and a more neutral roasty flavor has replaced it. Also, the color! Beautiful! Very reddened, so nice. That malt comes back too, but not as strong as in the first infusion (it was almost absent in the second one). This infusion’s flavor is very complex, and I am not sure how to describe it. Definitely very “tea”. RATE: 7.5/10

Overall, this tea was awesome! I love it. It was so tasty, and dynamic between infusions. Very interesting overall, and I will most likely buy more of it once I get done with what I’ve got. Very, very good.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 3 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

These dry snails are so pretty and it is an experience to watch them unfurl.
This tea smells amazing.

The taste is pretty spectacular. It is sweet potatoe and honey bread. There are slighter notes of malt, chocolate, and molasses. I didn’t get any gardenia notes as in the description, but it does have a creamy mouthfeel.

I am really loving these yunnan black teas.

I resteeped for 5&8 minutes.

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Fjellrev

Ooooh, sounds lovely.

tigress_al

It is Fjellrev!

Please keep things friendly and .

This tea is really solid. I was drinking with it with a friend whom I’m trying to get into tea, so I decided to do one of my favorite blacks. We were talking and all of a sudden he says, “I feel really relaxed…Like abnormally relaxed. Is that the tea?”

I laughed and said, “Yeup, that’s the tea!”

I proceded to give him some of my tea in hopes that he’ll get into it and share with his friends and family.

Tea is good!