Golden Snail Yunnan Black Tea

Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Chocolate, Malt, Nutty, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Cacao, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Sweet Potatoes, Broth, Caramel, Creamy, Raisins, White Grapes, Smooth, Floral, Gardenias, Sweet, Maple, Winter Honey, Grain, Molasses, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Tobacco, Pepper, Bitter, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dried Fruit, Brown Sugar, Butter, Maple Syrup, Oak wood, Apricot, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This Yunnan black tea was harvested in early spring (2014) and carries a robust and delicious flavor profile! The first thing you taste is a the thick honey flavor giving way to creamy cocoa with a touch of malt. A heavy molasses-like sweetness lingers on your tongue while juicy morel plays with a hint of gardenia in the aftertaste. This tea is delicious hot as well as iced and holds up very well to three or more infusions!

Milk Chocolate, Molasses, Malt, Morel, Cream, Gardenias

Our preferred style for this tea is gongfu.

Western Style:
Steep 1 teaspoon (1.8g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.
3rd infusion: 8 minutes.

Gongfu Style:
Use 1.5g of leaf per 30ml (1 fl. oz.) of 205ºF water
Infusion times: 20s, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m15s, 2m, 3m

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Mmm this is a marvelous tea :) so smooth with caramel and chocolate notes.

backlog from yesterday – thanks again to dexter for letting me try this one. On the whole, this wasn’t a bad cup of tea, but i’m glad that this is one that i don’t feel the need to order from WP. There was a bitterness there that i didn’t love. still not a bad cup..just not one i need to keep around.

Final Count yesterday: 114

This tea is amazing. I’m on my second pot as I write this (instead of doing my homework).

The leaf is a beautiful swirl of black and gold with a sweet, chocolatey smell. It’s kind of fun to watch it unfurl as it steeps. Definitely one for the clear glass pot. I used 2 tsp in my 16 oz teapot with boiling water. I let it steep for 3 minutes (5 on the second pot). The tea is a warm, rich, yellow amber with the most delicious roasted nut/malt/barley/baked bread smell (it kinda makes me want to bake actually). It’s hard to pin-point exactly what that glorious aroma is but every time I breath it in I get excited for the sip I’m about to take.

The flavor is amazing. There is a roasted malt, baked bread, nutty, earthy (but not bitter or dirty), complex flavor that is everything I want in this tea and more. It tastes almost exactly like it smells. I could rave about this tea all day. Safe to say I will be buying as much of this tea in the future as possible. Drinking this tea makes me feel amazing.

One note, sugar seems to destroy this tea. Mom tried a pinch in her tea and it was pretty gross. It turns the smell acrid as well. Very unpleasant.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Malt, Nutty, Roasted, Roasted Barley

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I brewed this one gongfu using the spects recommended by the vendor. I am impressed as this is the first time that I was able to call gongfu brewing a black tea a success. The first sip of this tea brings a surprising mix of smoothness and sweetness. The flavor notes do indeed have a bit of cocoa and molasses as described by the vendor. As the infusions the flavor of the tea increased as the light sweet smoothness faded away.

From Here’s Hoping TTB, R5

Where’s all the lovely notes in the description? Tastes like smoke. Blergh. Not my cup of tea.

Sounds contaminated. Mine never tasted smoky.

Beautiful tea – not a beautiful taste
Taste very dusty, almost like chalk

I opened the bag and notes of milk chocolate hit my nose immediately. I brewed this gong fu and I get cacao, malt, dark chocolate. I also got a surprising sweetness to it that I have not gotten from any other black tea I have had. Pretty decent black.

Flavors: Cacao, Dark Chocolate, Malt

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 200 OZ / 5914 ML

The first steep is pure heaven! Fresh baked biscuits with sourwood honey (from Savanah Bee Company – try it!) accompanied by creamy cacao & sweet potato. The scent alone is worth the price of admission. That being said, I was surprised that the second steep had lost all of the baked biscuit goodness to be replaced with a burned ash taste. An “off” flavor for me. Still drinkable, but not enjoyable. I lost interest on the 3rd steep & discarded it. I brewed in my Breville at 195° on my second morning with this tea. The first brew at 205° resulted in some slight bitterness. If the 2nd and 3rd steep had been better, I would have given this tea a perfect score. Will I purchase again? Yes, but for that first steep only, making this less economical than anticipated.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cacao, Honey, Sweet Potatoes

4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

Another lovely sample thanks to Nichole!

I liked this one. Did this one exactly as instructed on the Whispering Pines Site. First brew, there was a creamy mouthfeel and it kinda reminded me of a really light milk chocolate. There was some caramel and honey to me, but then it became very malty, then broth like. I’m guessing the broth is the morel note. Steep two again had malt and broth. Three, there was a weird, fruity character that reminded me of the grape in North Winds, but different and very faint compared to the malt. Four, more like a raisin. Five, it starts to taste like any other golden tea in the later steep, with the same faint malt but again, a little bit of raisin.

This was good, but I agree with Liquid Proust and like the Imperial Bud more. To me, it wasn’t quite as sweet and I don’t like the raisin quality too much. More of an experienced drinker’s tea, or one that you’d introduce golden teas to a newbie with. I also think that people who like Darjeelings might appreciate it a little bit.

Flavors: Broth, Caramel, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Raisins, White Grapes

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Liquid Proust

Whispering Pines had a chai that used these and it was great! But, as I’ve said and you’ve remarked about: the imperial bud is just… the best.

Daylon R Thomas

I actually looked at the ingredients for the Eldorado Chai, and it turns out I have all of them. Probably nothing as good as the real thing, but I’ve made chai before.

Daylon R Thomas

Wow, it actually worked! The vanilla didn’t come all the way through though. A part of me should have just kept the vanilla on its own and not do the chai spices.

Liquid Proust

Good ingredients + more good ingredients normally comes out well if done right :)

Daylon R Thomas

:) The vanilla came in more through the second time. I think if I left the vanilla there with the black on it’s own, it would have been really close to the Imperial because it has a caramel, vanilla note that this one didn’t have. It was so close to being perfect on its own, but cream and sugar brought out the vanilla even more. It was perfect with the cream and sugar…so close.

Fun times :)