Golden Snail Yunnan Black Tea

Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Cantaloupe, Grain, Oats, Salt, Sweet Potatoes, White Grapes, Chocolate, Floral, Malt, Cocoa, Nutty, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Cacao, Honey, Broth, Creamy, Raisins, Smooth, Gardenias, Sweet, Maple, Winter Honey, Molasses, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Tobacco, Pepper, Bitter, Dark Bittersweet, Dried Fruit, Brown Sugar, Butter, Maple Syrup, Oak wood, Apricot, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This Yunnan black tea was harvested in early spring (2014) and carries a robust and delicious flavor profile! The first thing you taste is a the thick honey flavor giving way to creamy cocoa with a touch of malt. A heavy molasses-like sweetness lingers on your tongue while juicy morel plays with a hint of gardenia in the aftertaste. This tea is delicious hot as well as iced and holds up very well to three or more infusions!

Milk Chocolate, Molasses, Malt, Morel, Cream, Gardenias

Our preferred style for this tea is gongfu.

Western Style:
Steep 1 teaspoon (1.8g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.
3rd infusion: 8 minutes.

Gongfu Style:
Use 1.5g of leaf per 30ml (1 fl. oz.) of 205ºF water
Infusion times: 20s, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m15s, 2m, 3m

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Mmm this is a marvelous tea :) so smooth with caramel and chocolate notes.

backlog from yesterday – thanks again to dexter for letting me try this one. On the whole, this wasn’t a bad cup of tea, but i’m glad that this is one that i don’t feel the need to order from WP. There was a bitterness there that i didn’t love. still not a bad cup..just not one i need to keep around.

Final Count yesterday: 114

Operation redo my entire tea area and most the bedroom began last night accidentally. Friends were getting rid of an awesome set of glass shelves that I gladly took off their hands, my teaware hoard is getting out of hand and taking over every spare surface in the room! Currently the shelf is loaded with my teaware, it will be thinned out a bit as soon as I get my shelf inserts for the curio cabinet (one day) then the tea storage shelf needs to have all the tea transferred to a different shelf which needs cleaning off, it is a big project. What is done though is my painting desk was rearranged, the bulk of the desk held my fishtank which was moved to where the teapots previously lived and now my big tea tray lives there. Sadly I realized too late that my tea tray is in a dark cubby so now I need a desk lamp. The things I do for organization in a very small space.

Today I am looking at a tea that is not only tasty, it is pretty! One of the things that first drew me to Dian Hongs is their beautiful golden trichomes, the fuzzy goodness. Whispering Pines Tea’s Golden Snail is definitely a beauty, nice tight little spirals covered in gold with bits of the dark leaf showing through…the color reminds me of my Tortoiseshell cat! Luckily (or sadly) the smell does not remind me of my cat (I wish she smelled like tea) the aroma is lovely, classic notes of malt and cocoa blend with sweet potatoes, maple syrup, and a delicate finish of cherries, walnuts, and cherry blossoms at the finish. It is sweet with just a slight nuttiness, reminding me of a loaded sweet potato that needs to be eaten by me…I clearly need food.

The steeped tea in my beloved Petr Novak pot smells super good, notes of walnuts and sweet potatoes (sweeter than the starchy yams) sandalwood, cocoa, and a woody undertone. The liquid is sweet and rich, notes of sweet potato, molasses, peanuts and walnuts, and a touch of cocoa waft up with the steam from my cup.

First steep is wonderfully rich and sweet, with a thickness that coats the mouth with honey and molasses. The dominant taste for the first steep is sweet honey and starchy but not too starchy sweet potatoes, specifically reminding me of those sweet potato patties that you buy frozen in the South (I assume they are elsewhere but I only ran into them growing up) and a bit of a woody cacao nib finish. The aftertaste is a hint of molasses that lingers for a while.

The second steep, while having the thick mouthfeel of the first, is also joined by a tingly camphor like texture, similar to drinking a Sheng, and something that just screams Yunnan to me. Granted some teas from that region have a stronger tingle than others, and processing does have an impact, but once in a while you get a Dian Hong that feels almost effervescent. The taste is very rich, strong notes of molasses and cocoa blend with peanuts and walnuts with just a hint of sweet potato. The dominant note is definitely dark chocolate, think like the 80% dark (I do love that stuff) with an aftertaste of molasses and cocoa.

This steep is pleasantly mellow, still has a thick mouthfeel, but no longer the tingle. The taste has mellowed out a bit as well, still has strong notes of molasses and stronger notes of sweet potato like the first steep, but the dark chocolate notes have calmed down. There is something new, towards the end with a note of peanut there is a delicate note of dried cherry. It kept teasing me in the aroma but has finally shown up in taste! This is a wonderful tea, an excellent example of a Golden Bi Luo Chun (or Hong Jin Luo, it has a couple names) being visually stunning and wonderfully tasting.

For blog and photos:

Backlog 29 July 2016

Notes taken while playing video games.

Dry leaf: A nice golden black hue to the leaf. Smells malty and sweet.

Wet leaf: Reminds me of baked bread/dark beer. Has a slight dark chocolate note. Very rich caramel note after the third steep. Slightly bitter after the fifth steep; however, it remains rich and tasty. Dry mouthfeel.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Dark Chocolate

Wow. This tea is just wow. There’s just so much going on here I wish I wasn’t in such a rush to finish it off so I can get to work. Opens with very strong sweet potato notes followed by dark chocolate and caramel (actually very similar to some salted caramel truffles I made last week). Next there’s cantaloupe and white grapes and a faint hint of multi-grain bread and oats. This is quite possibly one of the first teas I’d be interested in re-steeping — perhaps next time if I’m in less of a rush.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cantaloupe, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Grain, Oats, Salt, Sweet Potatoes, White Grapes

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sounds amazing!

An afternoon tea session covered in chocolate, roasted nuts, brown sugared roasted sweet potatoes, baked bread and so much more. This tea is full of happy notes and amazing aromatics. Beautiful dry leaf and gorgeous wet as well. Syrupy mouthfeel. This is an entire meal in a cup and just when you think it’s done a nice Guinness like malt after taste comes on. This is one happening black…

6g of leaf in a 120ml Seong-il, with 212F water, an unusually longer first steep of 30s and subsequent steeps at 10-15s with 10s climbs for over a half dozen steeps.

The Leaf:

The Session:

Boiling 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
S.G. Sanders

I just bought a sample of this from Whispering Pines. I might give it a go tomorrow! However, my main goal is to work through the rest of the Dark Matter teas.

So much tea, so little time.

Daylon R Thomas

It does taste kinda like Guinness…

S.G. Sanders

Well, shoot. I guess I’ll have to try it NOW. Or have a Guinness for lunch! Ha-ha.

If hot cocoa and black tea had a baby without adding cocoa nibs or anything this would be the tea result. It’s thick, rich, malty and chocolaty. I even think my housemate who says she hates tea will like this.

Pretty much as described. It smells just like sweet potatoes. Not like other teas which have a slightly sweet scent, like caramelized sweet potatoes. The taste is pure malt, cocoa, and maybe bread< with a small bit of fruitiness, and a definite floral note. I would hazard more towards lilac than gardenia, but of course that’s just a point of taste. In general a very satisfying tea, that (though this was just a sample) I would buy again.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Floral, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 30 sec 7 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

The dry leaves smell fantastic, like chocolate almost. It was a real shock to me to be greeted with such a wonderful chocolate-y scent. The wet leaves are like somewhat nutty kind of, I think.

For this review, I did a few rounds of gongfu!

First infusion was awesome. So, so creamy mouthfeel!! I really enjoyed this one immediately. The chocolate flavoring comes through in the tea, along with that characteristic malty taste. I thought the smell was a bit neutral, but the taste is great. Very, very cocoa-y. I enjoyed this immensely. RATE: 8/10

Second infusion came out quite a bit darker, which might have been my fault. The smell was a bit stronger than the first time around too, it reminded me back to that chocolate leaf scent. The taste is less chocolate this time, more neutralized. I think I oversteeped this one a little, as it had a bit of a bitter aftertaste, but that didn’t take away from the overall experience. It was pretty good, if not a little neutral. Actually, thinking about it, the cocoa flavor from before now comes through as a more bitter cocoa, like dark chocolate. Very interesting. Second infusion was overall pretty good. RATE: 6.5/10

Third and final infusion tonight ended the experience with roasted cocoa notes, very yum. The bitterness from before has gone away and a more neutral roasty flavor has replaced it. Also, the color! Beautiful! Very reddened, so nice. That malt comes back too, but not as strong as in the first infusion (it was almost absent in the second one). This infusion’s flavor is very complex, and I am not sure how to describe it. Definitely very “tea”. RATE: 7.5/10

Overall, this tea was awesome! I love it. It was so tasty, and dynamic between infusions. Very interesting overall, and I will most likely buy more of it once I get done with what I’ve got. Very, very good.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 3 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML

These dry snails are so pretty and it is an experience to watch them unfurl.
This tea smells amazing.

The taste is pretty spectacular. It is sweet potatoe and honey bread. There are slighter notes of malt, chocolate, and molasses. I didn’t get any gardenia notes as in the description, but it does have a creamy mouthfeel.

I am really loving these yunnan black teas.

I resteeped for 5&8 minutes.

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp