Mint Chocolate Chip Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “Thanks to MissB for this tidbit! this is an unusual incarnation of a mint chocolate chip blend ;0) okay, i cheated, i peeked at the ingredients, which (because i cheated) revealed absolutely...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 344 tasting notes
  • “Whispering Pines could well be the death of my pocketbook. Now that I've tried a few of their teas I want to order everything they've got. I've enjoyed all the teas I've tried from them, and the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 464 tasting notes
  • “To be honest, I wasn't too enthused about this tea that *MissB* gave me a sample of, but that was stupid of me. This tea is amazing and so great. It tastes -lime- like mint chocolate, with dark...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1406 tasting notes
  • “Received my Whispering Pines order this morning - a full two weeks before I was expecting it. Awesome! Loved the hand written note and business card from Brenden as well; made me want to jump right...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 941 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This may just be my favorite blend of all time…maybe. :)

One day, the blending genius here at Whispering Pines was sipping on our Fujian black tea — full of rich, semi-sweet dark chocolate decadence. He was thinking of all the wonderful things in the world with dark chocolate in them…good drinking chocolate, dark chocolate covered expresso beans, mint chocolate chip ice cream…LIGHTBULB!

So, he simply got up and threw together a perfect mix of organic peppermint and Fujian Black Tea, sat back and indulged in perfection.

Chocolate free, sugar free, guilt free — Mint Chocolate Chip Black Tea. Desert tea will never be the same!

Leaf Amount ::: 1 tablespoon per 8oz water
Water temp ::: 212ºF / 100ºC
1st infusion ::: 3
2nd infusion ::: 5 minutes
3rd infusion ::: 9 minutes

Ingredients: Fujian Black Tea and Organic Peppermint

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Thanks to MissB for this tidbit!

this is an unusual incarnation of a mint chocolate chip blend ;0)

okay, i cheated, i peeked at the ingredients, which (because i cheated) revealed absolutely nothing! mint is a given, chocolate too, there would be issues with my palate if i didn’t notice the tea…. but i’m getting citrus! there’s no reason to think the ingredients are other than as listed…. there are lemon breeds of peppermint, sage too for that matter. you can also have one crop affect another by proximity to something like lemon balm or lemon thyme.

the citrus note is neat! very unusual! i FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS for the first steep (yeah, yeah— pick your jaws up off the floor, lol) but next time round i think i’d prefer a longer steep.

no numbers til it sits on the counter for 4.5 instead of 3. ;0P

MissB

Citrus? Wowza. Yea, it’s a simple tea: black fujian and mint. This is the one I brought with me to DAVIDs the other day and smelled up the joint. Maybe I messed up somehow when parsing it out? Boo.

JustJames

yes! citrus! don’t boo me, lol.

JustJames

okay….. what if there are citrus tones in the fujian? hmm? smarty pants?

MissB

Lmao! Well, of course, it’s possible. I mean, I loves me some citrus. I’ll have to drink some more now to see if I get that, too. I just remember mint chocolate chip ice cream when I had it.

MissB

… and I was booing myself!

JustJames

you weren’t specific about who you were booing!

MissB

Oh JustJames, I’m always booing myself. How on earth could I possibly ever boo, you? Nah, you’re awesomesauce.

JustJames

now, for clarification purposes, is that like the stuff the white spot covers their cheeseburgers in? because that stuff is addictive. it makes me happy…. and now that i’ve thought of it i really want it, DRAT!!!!!

MissB

I’m waving my fist at you, JustJames. Yes, just like that.

yay seed planting? =0)

yyz

I could see the citrus. I haven’t had this tea, but I have had several several fujian blacks, some of which have the fruity citrus/lychee note, either underneath or even as a top note at times. So, I could definitely see where that might come from.

JustJames

!!! i have never had a fujian before, thank you for the insight!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Citrus? Hmmm…very interesting :) Glad you’re enjoying it! Thanks for sharing my tea, MissB :D

JustJames

i have a…..unique….. olfactory sense. i’m the whacko that can taste ingredient 22 in the chocolate chip cookies, lol.

JustJames

lol, sometimes! i smell everything, even the stuff you really have no desire to sometimes! =0\ it also has its perks though! i thought this blend was inspired! very original. what i can’t state for certain is the origin or the citrus i’m detecting. (not my skill set)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Thanks, James! You should try some of my other teas sometime – they are actually inspired ;) I wish my palette was more refined. It’s getting there :)

From reading your reviews, I feel like you might find a bunch of my teas interesting. If you’ve got a moment, read this and you can understand what I mean :) http://whisperingpinestea.com/whyus.html

i agree…. i have to duck rooiboos a bit though =0(

manistee moonrise looks very interesting. i was trained as a painter, i love it if my tea paints a picture, has a story…. odd though that may seem.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Oooh not odd at all! That’s the entire reason I blend tea! :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Also, I blend upon order, so I can replace rooibos with something else if needed

JustJames

that’s a helpful tidbit to know, thanks much!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

No worries :) Love your reviews!

i enjoy your craft!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Also, MissB – the sample I gave you in your last order was changed. The lemon verbena is now lemon balm and theres no longer any chicory root in there. Sorry you didn’t get the final version :/

Whispering Pines could well be the death of my pocketbook. Now that I’ve tried a few of their teas I want to order everything they’ve got. I’ve enjoyed all the teas I’ve tried from them, and the mint chocolate chip is no exception.

This was a sample that was added to my order, and I’m so glad it was. There’s a great mint flavor with a dark chocolate note that is steady through the sip. Usually if/when I taste chocolate it’s at the end of the sip, so I really enjoyed having it present from start to finish. The tea is also very smooth, and while it’s not overly sweet the mint adds enough sweetness that I didn’t feel the need to add sugar to my cup. Plus, it resteeps very well. I’ve steeped the leaves three times now, and the flavor has been consistent with each cup. Win!

This one needs to always be in my cupboard.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ohhhh your order just gave me the best idea…get excited for your sample! :D

Veronica

Woot! :)

Fjellrev

Nice, good to know!

To be honest, I wasn’t too enthused about this tea that MissB gave me a sample of, but that was stupid of me. This tea is amazing and so great. It tastes lime like mint chocolate, with dark rich chocolate, yet there is only mint added in.

That’s either magic or expert blending! Thank you so much!

(I wish I could wax poetic about this one, but I can barely keep my eyes open! )

ETA: SIPDOWN 167!

Courtney

Lime mint chocolate :P

shhhhh don’t wake her up… she’s very…very…tireeed.

Hahaha. Idk if I’d like lime mint chocolate. :P
But this is really good. I’m on my second cup!

MissB

It surprised me as well – I’m glad you gave it a chance!

…at least i’m not losing the 3 person race we’re all not really sort of kind of having lol….

Whispering Pines Tea Company

It’s magic, definitely magic. And lime. :)

Cavocorax

I’ll have to place an order some time!
And I’m glaring at you Sil! :P No one wants to the be the loser in a 3 person race. I guess I get Bronze, but… bleh.

Hahaha if we make it a 4 person race with Kittenna….you’ll never be last hahaha

5 ppl with Terri and Kittenna…you’ll always medal! ;)

Sil – you are a freaking genius!!! :P

Hahaha

Received my Whispering Pines order this morning – a full two weeks before I was expecting it. Awesome! Loved the hand written note and business card from Brenden as well; made me want to jump right in and start trying things.

My daughter was here when I opened the bag, and the first thing she grabbed was this. “Hmmm… Mom? Can we try this?” I had to explain to her this was a sophisticated tea, in that there was zero flavoring. Off she went to do something else. I decided to brew some up.

First up – One tablespoon per cup? Hm. I see on Steepster it says TWO tablespoons per cup. Jeepers, I would have used up my entire 50g with the liter of water I boiled up in the Breville if I’d done that. I decided to stick with what was on my bag (one tablespoon) and see how I fared. I should note that opening this bag was divine – smells just like mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Steeped, I just smell mint, and very faintly. My first sips were complex. There’s little at the start – I struggled to taste anything at all initially – and then the chocolate-covered espresso beans comes through. The mint is also surprisingly subtle, and only comes out a good few seconds after the sip. It’s delicate (surprising for a black) and quite amazing. I love this tea.

I’m scared to add any sort of cream or sugar, however I do want to see how the flavors change, if at all… stay tuned for that, if or when I do. For now, I’m just going to enjoy this 2 cups of bliss.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Wowza, I’m glad you noticed that typo! It’s definitely 1 tablespoon per cup :)

Also glad you’re enjoying them and that your package got there early! :D

Bonnie

If you do add sweetening and cream it will bring out the cocoa even more. The Fijian Black Tea base is my friend. Even clover (not wild or blossom) honey works OK ( I rarely say this about anything but herbal or chai tea’s).

MissB

Thanks for the tips! I’m excited to play around with this tea a bit. It’s definitely on my re-order list.

Just wanted to say, Whispering Pines Tea’s customer service is great! There was a minor issue with my order that was quickly resolved by Brenden, who also sent me an additional sample of this new tea. Thanks, Brenden!

I managed to get three steeps out of this tea and took brief notes of it.

Steep 1: The mint is pretty strong, but I can still taste the chocolatey goodness from the Fujian Black. Tastes really similar to the ice cream flavour. Yum!

Steep 2: The black tea base is becoming more prominent now, with the mint starting to fade into the background. Sort of like a minty hot chocolate, I’d say.

Steep 3: This really reminds me of a chocolate mint now. More dark chocolate with a subtle hint of mint.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you enjoyed this one! :)

Ag

It was really tasty! Definitely going on my shopping list for a future order. :D

1/30/14 Afternoon cup to sooth a nervous soul. 1tbs/8oz/212F/3min. Latte style – a splash of steamed milk and 1 tsp sugar. Thanks to MissB for the sample of this!

Smells exactly like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Tastes a bit like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Flavors I look for in hot chocolate or ice cream, not in tea. Not to my taste, I am afraid, but definitely worth trying.

Yvonne

Mmm – sounds scrumptious! Sorry it isn’t to your taste. :(

Mmmmmm here it is, after many many many hours of blending and testing! :)

Dark chocolate notes with a light minty aftertaste, and all done with 100% natural tea and herbs — no additives, no fake!

Enjoy!~

So I was feeling the need for mint and chocolate yesterday afternoon, as I often do. Usually it’s mint or spice I search for at some point in the day.

I had tried this one before and was ok with it.. actually looks like I enjoyed it.

Yesterday I just found this ok. Lost much of the mint and found the black base to overpower the other flavors. Hmmm… not sure I’d go searching for this one unless I wanted a really rich dark black with a nip of mint that you have to search for. Knocking my rating down for this a bit.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmm…i bet a lot of the mint had made its way to the top of the bag last time you tried it.

Suziqzer

Maybe it had. I tried to stir it up well this time to get a good mix. Don’t remember if I did that the last time.