Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Autumn Leaf Pile, Roasted, Spices, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This black tea from the Wu Yi mountains of China carries the boldest dark chocolate notes that I have ever come across in a tea! Slightly roasty with a sweet finish, this has quickly become one of my absolute favorite teas. The dry leaf aroma is pure dark chocolate and I commonly steep this in a pot with the lid open just to make my house smell like chocolate! Fujian Black Tea is the base tea in our Mint Chocolate Chip Black Tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Thank you Brenden for the surprise in my mailbox of this sample tea!

The last time I had some tea from Whispering Pines was…well…in the beginning of the company during the short phase where most of the tea’s (if not all) were smoky. There was a lot of feedback from Steepster folks that Brenden listened to (this is what makes a great tea vendor by the way) and now there is a wide variety of tea’s to choose from on his Whispering Pines Website.

I’ll have to admit though, that I hadn’t looked at the website for a long, long time (over a year).

Brenden noticed my lack of attention to his company (he being a regular Steepster hawk), and sent me a couple of tea samples (smart man).

Kudo’s that this Fujian isn’t smoky! It arrived not contaminated with smoke from the other tea’s that Whispering Pines is known for…the outdoorsy tea’s!

I’m not going to play games with a long review. I’ll get right to the point and then explain.

If you love tea’s like chocolaty Laoshan Black or Fujian Black Pearls this is the tea for you!

Brenden doesn’t lie when he discribes his tea as chocolate. It doesn’t taste like barley or bread, just chocolate tea with a hint of malt. Medium thickness, rich and smooth with a gentle fading of the flavor lingering softly in the mouth.

Delicious dessert tea!

This is the only truly chocolaty black tea that I’ve tasted other than Verdant’s and companies that carry Fujian Black Pearls (which are maltier).

If this was a stock, I’d buy it! Winner!

Hope you don’t mind but I’m attaching another little musical piece by my granddaughter with my photo’s. http://youtu.be/bOKtmS5L9BQ
We’re collaborators.

Added note Oct. 4th I just discovered a talent that Brenden from Whispering Pines has… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUYSjbD0kW4&feature=share&list=UUIhSZ7loxDZ7166OavqfrhA

COOL

interesting. :)

Another tea from my Whispering Pines order. I took this one to work today, and was drinking it for most of the morning.
In all fairness this is a pretty decent dark, chocolaty, malty black tea. (There are more chocolate notes in this one than the oolong I just wrote about). What I didn’t like about this was that it didn’t resteep very well. I normally can get three decent steeps from a straight black. The first steep was great, and then it was all downhill from there. The second steep seemed to have lost all that deep dark goodness, and you were just left with generic black tea. This is quite a bit cheaper than most of my favorite blacks, but if you don’t get the resteep is it really better value?
All in all, this is pretty good.

i was curious about this one after bonnie’s review. thanks!

to me this is similar to Gong Fu from Zhi Tea…durability seems similar as well,which isn’t so great…pretty tasty though…

Bonnie

Very nice Fujian Black Tea with loads of cocoa.

Backlog
Hot, this tea is like rich dark cocoa, but as it cools it gets much more roasty.
First sip of my cup, and wow, cocoa. Dark dark cocoa. My boyfriend accidentally turned off my timer so I don’t know how long this was steeping for, but I’ve decided I like it this strong.

We had company over last night, so I added a splash of Coconut Rum that I picked up while I was in the Caribbean, and it was superb. I love chocolate and coconut, so the two went together perfectly. Like a perfect dessert drink. All it was missing was whipped creme. That should totally be a thing. A tea bar! Serving mixed drinks made with tea, like strawberry tea in a daiquiri, chocolate tea and rum. Pumpkin chai and Baileys. If I ever win the lottery that’s what I’ll do. Open a Tea Bar.

Anyway, so I resteeped, and while waiting for it to cool, totally forgot about it. A couple hours later, it’s cold, but I take a sip. Deep dark roasty-ness hits me. And something else, that I might even call an autumn leaf pile (not that I’ve ever experienced autumn, let alone an autumn leaf pile. I love the sun sand and surf of Florida, but sometimes I’m really jealous of you northerners).

I put the leaves in the fridge last night, so depending on if they still smell fragrant, I might go another round with this baby.

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

It’s funny that you mention the tea & cocktails thing, I noticed there’s an event for that at the Coffee and Tea Festival (NY) next year!

And I could never live somewhere where you don’t get all the seasons! I love autumn too much. :D

:O Never….experienced…autumn…?!

Cheri

I need the seasons. I need winter to reset. I need spring to ramp up, and the fall is for football tailgating.

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 208 degrees, 3 minutes, brew in mug strainer

Dry Leaf Aroma: rice, malt, also something familiar, like a sweet candy

Brewing Aroma: Smells like malt

Flavor: Toasty with a hint of rice. This has a stronger, dark malt flavor. It’s also got a little bit of harshness on the end of the sip. I like the tea, but wasn’t not wowing me. I decided to try this Terri-style, since I’ve heard that term several times today. LOL. I added about a teaspoon of maple syrup and there’s the wow! The tea smooths out and has a lightly sweet finish.

It tastes like something I’ve had before. Maybe something like a sweet bread or bun. The maple is obviously there, but it brings out a bakery note in the tea. Very interesting! I can see why the maple syrup is so popular with tea!

Update 7/13: tried again this AM and used 200 degree water. There’s a little less bitterness, but I’m still not finding those chocolate notes. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be!

MzPriss

Could that sweet candy be……….chocolate???? This is soooo chocolaty to me. Ad Terri-style is magic.

Sarsonator

Hmmm. If so, it was subtle. I have enough left for one more cup. I’ll be on the lookout for chocolate the next time I make this. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Interesting…so many people taste different things with this…this is the first note I think that hasn’t mentioned chocolate, and someone mentioned spice the other day which I had never heard either. :) It’s neat how different people taste different things!

Sarsonator

How odd! I wonder what’s wrong with my taste buds!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Nothing’s wrong with them, they’re just different it seems! :)

So, steeped this for like 5 minutes on accident. xD Got way too excited messaging Sarsonator about Rifftrax. If you have no idea what Rifftrax is, look it up. It’s like one of the greatest things in the world! XD
This is pretty malty, but not too strong. I love the cocoa notes in this tea, it’s just a perfect combo of chocolate and malt. ^^ Another win from Whispering Pines!

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt

Rifftrax FTW!

Woo! :D

darby

Sharknado!!! I want to see this one.

You should, darby! It’s great! :P

darby

We’ll be on vacation Tuesday. :(

Ost

Aww bummer! Could probably find it online…well maybe.

I am on to your plan Brenden! You think just because you are nice and put a sample of this in my order, I’ll love it and order it.

Ok, you’re right.

Cameron B.

This is a good one. I love the spice notes. :D

Drinking a Whispering Pines tea this morning in celebration that my order will arrive today. Hooray! GOLDEN ORCHID, I WILL NOM YOU! Anyway, I was curious about this tea since it was described as being very chocolately, and I generally fail at tasting the cocoa in teas… We shall see. The leaves are very thin, dark, and twisty – they remind me of miniature Taiwanese Assam leaves. For some reason they smell like peanuts in the shell to me… There’s cocoa there too. Good sign!

The aroma has raisin and tobacco with an interesting spicy edge. I also get cocoa and honey scents. Hmm, this tea… There is definitely a spice note in here. At first it reminds me of fennel or anise, but there’s also a warming sensation that makes me think of cinnamon later in the sip. Interesting! The main flavor for me is roasty autumn leaves which goes very well with the cocoa notes. Roasty, cocoa-y, spicy… It’s almost like some kind of Mexican hot chocolate without the creaminess, and would probably be exactly that with milk.

I saw that Nicole also got smoke out of this one, and I can see that. The combination of the roasty leaves and the spice could definitely be similar to smokiness. But I really enjoyed that dynamic. ;)

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Cocoa, Roasted, Spices

Thomas Edward(Toad)

It is really good mixed with hot chocolate and cinnamon for a kind of a Mexican Hot chocolate type taste, One of my fav teas :)

boychik

This sounds delicious!

GREAT idea Tommy!

oh my num num num num num……. I can’t even think to type to busy drinking.. Delicious.

TeaTiff

MzPriss have you done a comparison to Zhi Gong Fu Black? If my memory serves me right, this is really similar… I am kicking myself for not ordering more than an ounce. Haha

MzPriss

It is similar. But that is from memory – not a side by side test – but I could do that…..I love both of them a lot.

TeaTiff

If you get a chance it would be interesting to see how they compare. I am really enjoying this one and it took me all of 2 sec to sip down the sample of Gong Fu you gave me:)

MzPriss

I will do that and let you know what I think. Some more GFB could come your way if you want…

TeaTiff

Thank you for the offer, but no need. I have plenty to work on these days. Between WP and the Verdant order that should be here anyday:) I will be interested to see how you think they compare though.

MzPriss

I wish my Verdant order would get here. Because Laoshan Black Chocolate Genmaicha.

I will compare the FB and the GFB and let you know :)

My Verdant order just shipped! :D

TheTeaFairy

And my WP order just shipped :-)
(And my Verdant as well, haha! Too much tea??? There’s no such thing!!)

TeaTiff

Woot, lots of tea for everyone! I checked this morning and my Verdant tracking number now exists that means it will be here soon:) I think THIS tea will not be here for very long though. I am still thinking about my cups last night.

TeaTiff

TTF- another WP order? Haha I get it now, everything is sooo good.

TheTeaFairy

Yep TeaTiff… another order :-)
Hehe, what can I say? Happy to see you’re a believer also now that you are trying them!

MzPriss

Tiff – I’m doing the Fujian Black/Gong Fu Black comparison this morning. And they ARE similiar. I made a cup of each, exactly the same way, same amount of leaf/water/time/temp. They are both incredibly good. I find the GFB a little more “bright”, but just slightly and the FB a bit deeper with a little more of the “woody-ness” that I love in Fujians. I need both of them, but I would just the very slightest edge to the Fujian Black as I love that little extra depth. Both are hoard worthy.

TeaTiff

MizPriss- Thank you for the comparison! Without having them both side by side that was my guess about them. The FB was slightly more “deep”. I am finding this type of tea to be one of my favorites. They can both take up space in my cupboard any day! I hope you are enjoying your cups this morning.

MzPriss

I really really am! I slept for 6 hours which is unheard of! I’m making what I call my Dark Beauty cocktail for my drive-to-work cup this morning. It’s a big giant western 6-7 minute steep of Special Dark with a big pinch of Black Beauty added in for the last 3-4 minutes. Happy me!

TeaTiff

6 hours! Yay! Enjoy your Dark Beauty! You will be supper women today.

Terri HarpLady

Dark Beauty…wow! I’m gonna try that, cuz I have both of those teas now!

looseTman

MzPriss, Thanks for your Fujian Black/Gong Fu Black comparison. Is the FB more similar to cocoa or chocolate?

MzPriss

Yes Terri – try it!!! I use a big pinch of the BB so I get that sweet honeyish taste in the Deep Dark Sea of Love that is my Special Dark.

@looseTman – to me it’s more chocolate than cocoa, creamier to me rather than dry.

looseTman

“… more chocolate than cocoa, creamier to me rather than dry.”
Ooh la la – YUM!

OMG this tea smells like CHOCOLATE! The taste too is roasty, toasty, smoooooth chocolate. Um. I can haz moar? There is no bitterness and no astringency. Just a little piece of tea bliss :-). The cool thing about this tea is there a wave of chocolate flavor that rolls over my tongue after the sip and it’s more intense than the flavor during the sip, at least for me. I still love Ailaoshan black a little bit more, but this tea is excellent! I used a full tablespoon rather than a half, which turned out to be a good decision.

Also, I had a weird dream that there was a communal Steepster refrigerator. MzPriss opened it up and opened up one of the fruit/veggie drawers and it was full of mushrooms and dirt. She looked at me and said “Oh look, Brenden teleported us some mushrooms!” I have no idea what MzPriss actually looks like, but this person in the dream was her somehow. What is wrong with me?

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Roasted

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
MzPriss

Snort laff!! If Brenden could I’m sure he would teleport us some mushrooms. And a communal Steepster fridge would be awesome!

TheTeaFairy

Hahaha! You know your addicted to tea when??? this dream was hilarious and I wished it was for real! A communal cupboard would also be awesome!

And yes, told you this tea was pure gooey fudgy chocolate goodness :-)

This is the best thing I’ve read, like…ever. :D

mj

This is not the first tea-related dream I have had. The problem is fully developed, I think. I suppose this dream came from my not-so-subliminal desire to eat all the good things TheTeaFairy and MzPriss are always talking about and for Brenden to have the ability to teleport things, which I think I can safely say would improve all of our lives. Thanks for the dream mushrooms, Brenden :-). And yes, a communal Steepster cupboard would be completely clutch!

Haha that’s hilarious! XD

Suziqzer

Oh cool! A shared Steepster cupboard! Wouldn’t that be fun?!?! Although, with as much swapping as happens around here, we may not be too far from that :)