Baked Bread, Cacao, Grain, Toast, Cocoa, Spices, Chocolate, Graham Cracker, Malt, Earth, Autumn Leaf Pile, Roasted, Dark Chocolate
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This black tea from the Wu Yi mountains of China carries the boldest dark chocolate notes that I have ever come across in a tea! Slightly roasty with a sweet finish, this has quickly become one of my absolute favorite teas. The dry leaf aroma is pure dark chocolate and I commonly steep this in a pot with the lid open just to make my house smell like chocolate! Fujian Black Tea is the base tea in our Mint Chocolate Chip Black Tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Thank you Brenden for the surprise in my mailbox of this sample tea!

The last time I had some tea from Whispering Pines was…well…in the beginning of the company during the short phase where most of the tea’s (if not all) were smoky. There was a lot of feedback from Steepster folks that Brenden listened to (this is what makes a great tea vendor by the way) and now there is a wide variety of tea’s to choose from on his Whispering Pines Website.

I’ll have to admit though, that I hadn’t looked at the website for a long, long time (over a year).

Brenden noticed my lack of attention to his company (he being a regular Steepster hawk), and sent me a couple of tea samples (smart man).

Kudo’s that this Fujian isn’t smoky! It arrived not contaminated with smoke from the other tea’s that Whispering Pines is known for…the outdoorsy tea’s!

I’m not going to play games with a long review. I’ll get right to the point and then explain.

If you love tea’s like chocolaty Laoshan Black or Fujian Black Pearls this is the tea for you!

Brenden doesn’t lie when he discribes his tea as chocolate. It doesn’t taste like barley or bread, just chocolate tea with a hint of malt. Medium thickness, rich and smooth with a gentle fading of the flavor lingering softly in the mouth.

Delicious dessert tea!

This is the only truly chocolaty black tea that I’ve tasted other than Verdant’s and companies that carry Fujian Black Pearls (which are maltier).

If this was a stock, I’d buy it! Winner!

Hope you don’t mind but I’m attaching another little musical piece by my granddaughter with my photo’s. http://youtu.be/bOKtmS5L9BQ
We’re collaborators.

Added note Oct. 4th I just discovered a talent that Brenden from Whispering Pines has… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUYSjbD0kW4&feature=share&list=UUIhSZ7loxDZ7166OavqfrhA

COOL

interesting. :)

Another tea from my Whispering Pines order. I took this one to work today, and was drinking it for most of the morning.
In all fairness this is a pretty decent dark, chocolaty, malty black tea. (There are more chocolate notes in this one than the oolong I just wrote about). What I didn’t like about this was that it didn’t resteep very well. I normally can get three decent steeps from a straight black. The first steep was great, and then it was all downhill from there. The second steep seemed to have lost all that deep dark goodness, and you were just left with generic black tea. This is quite a bit cheaper than most of my favorite blacks, but if you don’t get the resteep is it really better value?
All in all, this is pretty good.

i was curious about this one after bonnie’s review. thanks!

to me this is similar to Gong Fu from Zhi Tea…durability seems similar as well,which isn’t so great…pretty tasty though…

Bonnie

Very nice Fujian Black Tea with loads of cocoa.

Lewis & Clark TTB #15

Deep tarry aroma. The initial taste reminds me of walking in damp woods, but underneath is a rich mix of tar and tobacco and wood. The finish is long, but not overly powerful. As the tea cools, I’m left with mostly just the damp woods.

There is a lot going on here, but it doesn’t seem well-integrated: just a mix of flavors that don’t coordinate all that well. I’m not that fond of the leafy/tarry taste, though some of the other flavors are appealing.

While I’m not excited about the tea, someone whose tastes are different from mine might really like it, since it does have several things going for it.

1987 tasting notes

And the Whispering Pines black-tea-a-thon continues on. I love Fujian black teas, so I am excited to try this one (even though I feel like “Fujian Black” is kind of a generic term?). Thanks again to Cameron B. for sending these samples on!

First off, the brewed tea smells pitch-perfect for a delicious Fujian. Like cacao nibs and roasted, molasses-covered grains. The flavor is quite good. Deifnitely chocolatey in a roasted, unprocessed cacao nib way, with lots of toasty grain flavors and malt. It has a thick, bready texture that is quite nice as well.

Overall quite tasty! I definitely enjoyed my cup this morning.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cacao, Grain, Toast

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cameron B.

I agree that name sounds generic, especially since almost all of his teas have unique names! We should make a suggestion. :)

I mostly tasted spice and a hint of cocoa. I would love to be able to find the graham cracker that is supposed to be in here. I’ll work on finding that next time and wait to rate it because I also think I oversteeped this just a tad. I prefer Golden Orchid so far from my tastings of Whispering Pines. This was another sample from Ost from when I ordered from her :)

Flavors: Cocoa, Spices

dexter sent this one my way so that i could try a few more WP teas before i place an order (gotta love tea friends who share!) . so the minute the water hit these leaves it was like ZOMG CHOCOLATE..HEEELLLOOOOOOOOOO! lol

ugh work… ok so long story short. need this to come back for september so i can have moar. that is all.

Thanks to Cameron B for this sample. It smells so awesome, malty cocoa. Not sure why, but I get a lot of Smores in the flavour. Very good. I’m really liking their black teas.

After having the black blends, I like this one even more.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Graham Cracker, Malt

Cameron B.

I can honestly say that I love all of their straight black teas. :D

Lariel of Lórien

I love straight black tea. I hold you totally responsible for my future orders. ;)

Cameron B.

I am okay with this. Don’t forget the wee snaily yums!

Lariel of Lórien

What about snails?

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I totally get graham cracker, pine, cocoa, and marshmallow in this one. Its awesomely smores :)

Backlog
Hot, this tea is like rich dark cocoa, but as it cools it gets much more roasty.
First sip of my cup, and wow, cocoa. Dark dark cocoa. My boyfriend accidentally turned off my timer so I don’t know how long this was steeping for, but I’ve decided I like it this strong.

We had company over last night, so I added a splash of Coconut Rum that I picked up while I was in the Caribbean, and it was superb. I love chocolate and coconut, so the two went together perfectly. Like a perfect dessert drink. All it was missing was whipped creme. That should totally be a thing. A tea bar! Serving mixed drinks made with tea, like strawberry tea in a daiquiri, chocolate tea and rum. Pumpkin chai and Baileys. If I ever win the lottery that’s what I’ll do. Open a Tea Bar.

Anyway, so I resteeped, and while waiting for it to cool, totally forgot about it. A couple hours later, it’s cold, but I take a sip. Deep dark roasty-ness hits me. And something else, that I might even call an autumn leaf pile (not that I’ve ever experienced autumn, let alone an autumn leaf pile. I love the sun sand and surf of Florida, but sometimes I’m really jealous of you northerners).

I put the leaves in the fridge last night, so depending on if they still smell fragrant, I might go another round with this baby.

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

It’s funny that you mention the tea & cocktails thing, I noticed there’s an event for that at the Coffee and Tea Festival (NY) next year!

And I could never live somewhere where you don’t get all the seasons! I love autumn too much. :D

:O Never….experienced…autumn…?!

Cheri

I need the seasons. I need winter to reset. I need spring to ramp up, and the fall is for football tailgating.

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 208 degrees, 3 minutes, brew in mug strainer

Dry Leaf Aroma: rice, malt, also something familiar, like a sweet candy

Brewing Aroma: Smells like malt

Flavor: Toasty with a hint of rice. This has a stronger, dark malt flavor. It’s also got a little bit of harshness on the end of the sip. I like the tea, but wasn’t not wowing me. I decided to try this Terri-style, since I’ve heard that term several times today. LOL. I added about a teaspoon of maple syrup and there’s the wow! The tea smooths out and has a lightly sweet finish.

It tastes like something I’ve had before. Maybe something like a sweet bread or bun. The maple is obviously there, but it brings out a bakery note in the tea. Very interesting! I can see why the maple syrup is so popular with tea!

Update 7/13: tried again this AM and used 200 degree water. There’s a little less bitterness, but I’m still not finding those chocolate notes. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be!

MzPriss

Could that sweet candy be……….chocolate???? This is soooo chocolaty to me. Ad Terri-style is magic.

Sarsonator

Hmmm. If so, it was subtle. I have enough left for one more cup. I’ll be on the lookout for chocolate the next time I make this. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Interesting…so many people taste different things with this…this is the first note I think that hasn’t mentioned chocolate, and someone mentioned spice the other day which I had never heard either. :) It’s neat how different people taste different things!

Sarsonator

How odd! I wonder what’s wrong with my taste buds!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Nothing’s wrong with them, they’re just different it seems! :)