Dark Chocolate, Malt, Roasted, Baked Bread, Cacao, Grain, Toast, Cocoa, Spices, Chocolate, Graham Cracker, Earth, Autumn Leaf Pile
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This black tea from the Wu Yi mountains of China carries the boldest dark chocolate notes that I have ever come across in a tea! Slightly roasty with a sweet finish, this has quickly become one of my absolute favorite teas. The dry leaf aroma is pure dark chocolate and I commonly steep this in a pot with the lid open just to make my house smell like chocolate! Fujian Black Tea is the base tea in our Mint Chocolate Chip Black Tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Thank you Brenden for the surprise in my mailbox of this sample tea!

The last time I had some tea from Whispering Pines was…well…in the beginning of the company during the short phase where most of the tea’s (if not all) were smoky. There was a lot of feedback from Steepster folks that Brenden listened to (this is what makes a great tea vendor by the way) and now there is a wide variety of tea’s to choose from on his Whispering Pines Website.

I’ll have to admit though, that I hadn’t looked at the website for a long, long time (over a year).

Brenden noticed my lack of attention to his company (he being a regular Steepster hawk), and sent me a couple of tea samples (smart man).

Kudo’s that this Fujian isn’t smoky! It arrived not contaminated with smoke from the other tea’s that Whispering Pines is known for…the outdoorsy tea’s!

I’m not going to play games with a long review. I’ll get right to the point and then explain.

If you love tea’s like chocolaty Laoshan Black or Fujian Black Pearls this is the tea for you!

Brenden doesn’t lie when he discribes his tea as chocolate. It doesn’t taste like barley or bread, just chocolate tea with a hint of malt. Medium thickness, rich and smooth with a gentle fading of the flavor lingering softly in the mouth.

Delicious dessert tea!

This is the only truly chocolaty black tea that I’ve tasted other than Verdant’s and companies that carry Fujian Black Pearls (which are maltier).

If this was a stock, I’d buy it! Winner!

Hope you don’t mind but I’m attaching another little musical piece by my granddaughter with my photo’s. http://youtu.be/bOKtmS5L9BQ
We’re collaborators.

Added note Oct. 4th I just discovered a talent that Brenden from Whispering Pines has… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUYSjbD0kW4&feature=share&list=UUIhSZ7loxDZ7166OavqfrhA

COOL

interesting. :)

Another tea from my Whispering Pines order. I took this one to work today, and was drinking it for most of the morning.
In all fairness this is a pretty decent dark, chocolaty, malty black tea. (There are more chocolate notes in this one than the oolong I just wrote about). What I didn’t like about this was that it didn’t resteep very well. I normally can get three decent steeps from a straight black. The first steep was great, and then it was all downhill from there. The second steep seemed to have lost all that deep dark goodness, and you were just left with generic black tea. This is quite a bit cheaper than most of my favorite blacks, but if you don’t get the resteep is it really better value?
All in all, this is pretty good.

i was curious about this one after bonnie’s review. thanks!

to me this is similar to Gong Fu from Zhi Tea…durability seems similar as well,which isn’t so great…pretty tasty though…

Bonnie

Very nice Fujian Black Tea with loads of cocoa.

I didn’t expect to like this tea so much, but I actually really do! Now that I am able to drink higher caffeine again, I have been going for the full-of-flavor selections. This one has the dark chocolate, roasty-toasty malty goodness that I’ve come to realize make up several of my favorite teas. It is nothing too complicated and the leaves are dark, small, twisty, and airy. Both the smell and taste are naturally sweet and full-bodied and it creates a lovely clear brown liquor. And now I has a sad because it is listed as out of stock on the WP website!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Malt, Roasted

Nosegasm. More than the visceral “mmmm!” that spontaneously accompanies an exploratory inhale of a new tea, this was actually an “ooooh!” I think this is my highest rating ever for the brewed fragrance of a tea. Seriously as much as I wanted to taste it I was impelled to just continue inhaling it for a minute. In a sublime zen-pleasure kind of way.

Ok, moving on … I wanted to compare this to another Fujian today, Teavivre’s Bailin Gongfu. Brewed both at 3 minutes at recommended temps and quantities.

The Bailin Gongfu was more chewy and caramelly, and had a bit of a lychee note. The WP Fujian was more malty. Where the BG was chocolatey, the WP is a cocoa nib (as Dinosara noted) or much darker chocolate, as well as a noticeably lighter flavor and mouthfeel. The slight smokey note of the BG was absent in this one.

Both evolve well both with cooling down and on the second steep, though the BG held more flavor on the latter. The BG has a longer, richer aftertaste with a bit more astringency to it.

The WP Fujian maintains a malty, cocoa nose while the BG has as a bit of what I can only identify as a whisper of earl grey fragrance that I find in some non- earl grey teas. Why does that bergamotish perfume appear when i’m not expecting it?

Side by side tastings would’ve been a good move but I ended up brewing them sequentially by the cup to keep it simpler. Next time!

Lewis & Clark TTB #15

Deep tarry aroma. The initial taste reminds me of walking in damp woods, but underneath is a rich mix of tar and tobacco and wood. The finish is long, but not overly powerful. As the tea cools, I’m left with mostly just the damp woods.

There is a lot going on here, but it doesn’t seem well-integrated: just a mix of flavors that don’t coordinate all that well. I’m not that fond of the leafy/tarry taste, though some of the other flavors are appealing.

While I’m not excited about the tea, someone whose tastes are different from mine might really like it, since it does have several things going for it.

2007 tasting notes

And the Whispering Pines black-tea-a-thon continues on. I love Fujian black teas, so I am excited to try this one (even though I feel like “Fujian Black” is kind of a generic term?). Thanks again to Cameron B. for sending these samples on!

First off, the brewed tea smells pitch-perfect for a delicious Fujian. Like cacao nibs and roasted, molasses-covered grains. The flavor is quite good. Deifnitely chocolatey in a roasted, unprocessed cacao nib way, with lots of toasty grain flavors and malt. It has a thick, bready texture that is quite nice as well.

Overall quite tasty! I definitely enjoyed my cup this morning.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cacao, Grain, Toast

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cameron B.

I agree that name sounds generic, especially since almost all of his teas have unique names! We should make a suggestion. :)

I mostly tasted spice and a hint of cocoa. I would love to be able to find the graham cracker that is supposed to be in here. I’ll work on finding that next time and wait to rate it because I also think I oversteeped this just a tad. I prefer Golden Orchid so far from my tastings of Whispering Pines. This was another sample from Ost from when I ordered from her :)

Flavors: Cocoa, Spices

i don’t know what else to say about this one. I rather enjoy it and that’s why i drank it, love it, will get more hahaha. In tea cupboard related news though, i have no teas left from may, so i just need to finish off my three remaining teas from april in order to have a cupboard that is only 6 months old! that’s pretty exciting in my silly books :)

Thanks to Cameron B for this sample. It smells so awesome, malty cocoa. Not sure why, but I get a lot of Smores in the flavour. Very good. I’m really liking their black teas.

After having the black blends, I like this one even more.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Graham Cracker, Malt

Cameron B.

I can honestly say that I love all of their straight black teas. :D

Lariel of Lórien

I love straight black tea. I hold you totally responsible for my future orders. ;)

Cameron B.

I am okay with this. Don’t forget the wee snaily yums!

Lariel of Lórien

What about snails?

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I totally get graham cracker, pine, cocoa, and marshmallow in this one. Its awesomely smores :)