Dark Chocolate, Grapes, Mineral, Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Nutty, Roasted, Roasted nuts, Baked Bread, Caramel, Bark, Smooth, Cacao, Grain, Toast, Spices, Graham Cracker, Earth, Autumn Leaf Pile
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This black tea from the Wu Yi mountains of China carries the boldest dark chocolate notes that I have ever come across in a tea! Slightly roasty with a sweet finish, this has quickly become one of my absolute favorite teas. The dry leaf aroma is pure dark chocolate and I commonly steep this in a pot with the lid open just to make my house smell like chocolate! Fujian Black Tea is the base tea in our Mint Chocolate Chip Black Tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Thank you Brenden for the surprise in my mailbox of this sample tea!

The last time I had some tea from Whispering Pines was…well…in the beginning of the company during the short phase where most of the tea’s (if not all) were smoky. There was a lot of feedback from Steepster folks that Brenden listened to (this is what makes a great tea vendor by the way) and now there is a wide variety of tea’s to choose from on his Whispering Pines Website.

I’ll have to admit though, that I hadn’t looked at the website for a long, long time (over a year).

Brenden noticed my lack of attention to his company (he being a regular Steepster hawk), and sent me a couple of tea samples (smart man).

Kudo’s that this Fujian isn’t smoky! It arrived not contaminated with smoke from the other tea’s that Whispering Pines is known for…the outdoorsy tea’s!

I’m not going to play games with a long review. I’ll get right to the point and then explain.

If you love tea’s like chocolaty Laoshan Black or Fujian Black Pearls this is the tea for you!

Brenden doesn’t lie when he discribes his tea as chocolate. It doesn’t taste like barley or bread, just chocolate tea with a hint of malt. Medium thickness, rich and smooth with a gentle fading of the flavor lingering softly in the mouth.

Delicious dessert tea!

This is the only truly chocolaty black tea that I’ve tasted other than Verdant’s and companies that carry Fujian Black Pearls (which are maltier).

If this was a stock, I’d buy it! Winner!

Hope you don’t mind but I’m attaching another little musical piece by my granddaughter with my photo’s. http://youtu.be/bOKtmS5L9BQ
We’re collaborators.

Added note Oct. 4th I just discovered a talent that Brenden from Whispering Pines has… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUYSjbD0kW4&feature=share&list=UUIhSZ7loxDZ7166OavqfrhA

COOL

interesting. :)

Another tea from my Whispering Pines order. I took this one to work today, and was drinking it for most of the morning.
In all fairness this is a pretty decent dark, chocolaty, malty black tea. (There are more chocolate notes in this one than the oolong I just wrote about). What I didn’t like about this was that it didn’t resteep very well. I normally can get three decent steeps from a straight black. The first steep was great, and then it was all downhill from there. The second steep seemed to have lost all that deep dark goodness, and you were just left with generic black tea. This is quite a bit cheaper than most of my favorite blacks, but if you don’t get the resteep is it really better value?
All in all, this is pretty good.

i was curious about this one after bonnie’s review. thanks!

to me this is similar to Gong Fu from Zhi Tea…durability seems similar as well,which isn’t so great…pretty tasty though…

Bonnie

Very nice Fujian Black Tea with loads of cocoa.

Thank you Blodeuyn for this surprise tea present!

This is another win from this company! I open this small package and reveal small delicate ebony shards. These little sticks carry a strong roasted dark cacao scent. I imagine WuYi as a granite rocky cliff with silver and black peaks. This mysterious place is shrouded with mist and overcast causing a gray scale effect. I picture wind blowing massive trees clinging to the rocky cliff faces causing them to sway from side to side like a sailboat caught in a storm. I view the WuYi region like this because their teas are a hurricane of a brew. They consist of dark, mineral, roast, cold, and sharp tones. These teas always have a bold brew that is alike the earths crust. The small black twigs I recieved followed suit, except, they gave me a small surprise. This maroon liquor had a decadent dark chocolate palette. This dessert flavor followed me throughout my steeping. I washed these small leaves once and brewed gong fu. I acquired a deep chocolate tone every steep and the background of black grapes creeped up on me. This is a wonderful tea, and I’m so happy to be able to experience it.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Grapes, Mineral

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

Really good tea, one of my favorites of the Whspering Pines samples I got. Chocalate, malt, baked bread. Just to keep tabs on my drinking, I’m gonna need more of this, as well as some of the Golden Snail and Yunnan Gold Tips. They’re all fantastic black teas. I like this one far better than Laoshan Black, but in fairness to Verdant Tea, I had a cold the day I drank that sample and probably missed the complexity others noticed. I’m also pretty sure I under-leafed on that one. All in all, a really really good tea. No complaints. I am on the first steep, and others complain that it doesn’t resteep well. That’s disappointing, but not a dealbreaker or something I always expect of black teas. I continue to pick up peanut notes in many of these teas, but I seem to be the only one.

Edit: Brewed this Western style and the second steep is quite good. I did 3 minutes on the first, then 6. I probably could’ve done 2 and then 4 instead. It definitely has a lot of flavor left. So I don’t agree that this doesn’t work for resteeping. So far it’s working quite well.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Nutty, Roasted, Roasted nuts

Continuing on with my chocolate heavy black tea day…
This is another sample I received from Dexter ( Thank you!).
Deep chocolate and so smooth… oh, this is good.
I did this one western style just like the other black today, since I haven’t had the time to sit down with my gaiwan. It’s so weird to not be using it, but at the same time, it’s really nice to have a full mug of something.
Yeah, this tea is definitely something I love… and, I do get that graham note that’s mentioned… it’s delicious. :D

This is a delicious example of a Fujian Black tea as a type. Bready and caramelly and just very nice. Took half of my pot to work in a tumbler (stands up to that treatment very well) and drank the other half in the morning while taking meds (deserves better than that treatment). Just a really good tea.

Made correctly this time with 3 teaspoons (1 tbsp) per 500 ml (2 cups).

ETA: Second steep was just as good, though I’m not going for a 3rd.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel

Thanks for the sale a while back, Kimquat! This certainly tastes like a Fujian. Somehow with this one, it seems like there is more fragrance to the dry leaves than there is flavor. The flavor is good, but this light amber cup is LIGHT. The caramel notes and the flavor that can only be found in a Fujian tea is there but it certainly isn’t a kick enough in the morning. This one might be lighter than the Laoshan Black, especially since I usually use one teaspoon with that one rather than the 1 1/2 teaspoons I used today. The leaves here do look larger and longer than the Laoshan though. I think I like the Jabberwocky better – it has more of this flavor profile but more depth (which is probably because it’s a blend of three teas). I’m happy to have tried this one anyway… and there is one serving left.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 tsp // 4 min after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 6 min

This tea tastes luxurious, and it’s making me think about other luxurious things. While sipping and letting my mind wander, I thought about going to the grocery store. Instead of my usual spare fare, I pictured buying steaks for dinner. Though the tea doesn’t have any meaty flavors, it somehow makes me want to go on tasting decadent things.

Flavors: Bark, Chocolate

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

GCTTB

This is delicious. Love the chocolate notes. I don’t think I could tell this one apart from my Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong of Wu Yi Fujian Black Tea Spring 2014 from Yunnan Sourcing. Both are excellent teas!