Fujian Xiao Zhong, Yunnan Dian Hong
Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt, Caramel, Grain, Hay, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Dark Bittersweet, Molasses, Cream, Stonefruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I asked for a sample of this tea from *MissB* because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only "black tea". Based on the flavors within I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1933 tasting notes
  • “How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I'm looking forward to the re-steeps! The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1114 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the many teas *MissB* sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I'd never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you! It's got that chocolate malt...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1673 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!* You must read Brenden's discription of this tea no matter what. It's charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
Michigan is full of wondrous little towns known for the things they have perfected and small spots of nature that will take your breath away. This tea is inspired by the entire northern area of Michigan, from Traverse City to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Traverse City is in the northern lower peninsula of the state. They are widely known for their amazing cherries, which are sold alongside other fruits from roadside stands during the summer months. You can get anything cherry here, and it will spoil you for cherries forever. I’ll never be able to eat cherries elsewhere! =)

Heading northward from the cherry capitol of the world and over the longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere brings you to Mackinac Island. This island is full of little shops, cafes, and bakeries, and they are very well known for their fudge. Any flavor of fudge you can imagine can be found on this island, but you can never go wrong with a piece of dark chocolate fudge as Autumn is closing in!

As the north winds bring you higher and the first snow begins to fall, the Les Cheneaux Islands and surrounding area of the upper peninsula will send chills down your spine. The wind picks up, the lake begins to freeze, and a snowstorm will keep you indoors with a hefty cup of black tea as company. Looking outside at the winter wonderland, you can’t help but notice that you are in the most beautiful place in the world.

North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Fruity sweet notes bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. These smooth, decadent notes combine into a heavy bodied tea with a medium-malty background that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

Notes
Cocoa
Pluot
Malt
Honey
Sugarcane

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

2nd infusion: 3 minutes

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

1933 tasting notes

I asked for a sample of this tea from MissB because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only “black tea”. Based on the flavors within I am assuming it is an unflavored blend of various black teas, but I would love to know what they were. It’s honestly the type of thing that keeps me from ordering such a tea because I don’t really know what’s in it. “Black tea” is not a thing; every black tea is a varietal, and while it may not mean much to some of your customers, it means quite a lot to others. Even just saying “China” versus “India” or “Sri Lanka” can communicate a lot more information (for instance, I generally stay away from Indian teas).

Anyway, with that rant over, this is a lovely tea. Very chocolatey… it reminds me a bit of a Fengqing black dragon pearl, though not pearled, obviously. There are bright fruity notes and I do think they come across as a tart, fresh cherry. There is a bit of hay and the robustness of malt. Very smooth, very tasty. Thanks for the sample, MissB!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m updating it right now :) And by the way, It’s Yunnan Dian Hong and Fujian Xiao Zhong :)

Dinosara

Thanks so much! It’s awesome when a tea company interacts with it’s customers and take suggestions. It was a great tea, I’m glad to know what’s in it. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you liked it! I can’t imagine running a tea business and not interacting with the customers and getting feedback – that’s 95% of the fun! :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Oh and since you liked this one, you might also be interested in Golden Orchid. Golden Orchid is this tea with organic vanilla beans. It’s REALLY yummy!

Fjellrev

Yum, anything Fengqing black dragon pearl-like must be a win.

Dinosara

That does sound great! I’ll have to try it sometime :)

How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I’m looking forward to the re-steeps!

The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of malt and sugarcane. Sugarcane? That’s a first for me. Like of all of Brenden’s creations, I also get something very campfire/outdoorsy in this, almost oaky, or smokey, or both. Fruit? Something light and sweet in there too in the background, although it’s a new flavor for me so I struggle to place it. All in all, this is exquisite. Too bad it took me opening the bag to share with others for me to try it!

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

yyz

That’s OK maybe it’s happening at a time when you can best appreciate it.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is only of the teas I’ve put the most work into, I’m so glad you appreciate it :)

This was one of the many teas MissB sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I’d never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you!

It’s got that chocolate malt flavour that you find in Verdant’s Laoshan Black, and it has a little bit of astringency at the end of the sip; but it’s astringent in a good way – not bitter. It seems to have a touch of honey in there too, or at least I imagine it.

Oh, and the chocolate notes linger long after each sip – just the way I like my chocolate….

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!

You must read Brenden’s discription of this tea no matter what. It’s charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I’m convinced that we can all find our own special place that says “THIS IS HOME”! It has nothing whatever to do with money or power. It’s something in the heart.

I’m happy to have found my ‘Home’ for now. I always say ‘for now’ in case God has other plans for me. My heart happiness is portable.

Brenden has decided to create his tea’s without artifical flavors or the low quality tea’s found in far too many blends. Yeah! I’m a great fan of all the Tea Companies that don’t use artificial ingredients and who don’t compromise on quality!

North Winds: The wonderful Fujian Black Tea (which I bought from Whispering Pines already because it’s so Cocoa-luscious) base is cocoa and milky, not a dark chocolate. I didn’t taste cherry, mentioned in the description Brenden wrote,..but instead tasted sweet tea cookie (like animal cracker).
The tea was creamy, buttery with malted caramel, chocolate filled pastry.

Goodness! How on earth do you discribe how good this tea tasted?

Please try it with cream and sweeten. This type of tea is enhanced a great deal by both (brings the cocoa alive and a richness to dessert level).

I’d suggest having North Winds over the holidays with shortbread or sugar cookies with people who love you .

Oh So I lied I will review my Kombucha, it IS after all a Whispering Pines Tea :)
So put some Chaga and Reishi mushroom tea in my North Winds Kombucha this morning and it was pretty good.
I can already taste the malty, cocoa sweetness of the North Winds in my kombucha and the brew itself has the perfect tangy sweet slightly sour bite that i’ve tweaked to my personal taste which is i’d have to say is just slightly a bit more sour than a kombucha that you’d buy at the store, very good imo :)
Now with the added mushroom juice it’s about as tangy as a store bought kombucha with awesome woody, earthy,mushroomy notes that really tastes like something from the forest, something magical even, I love it!! It makes me feel good and happy too.

Mushroom revolution!!! :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Yes Sir! You should try it in the kombucha, it quite nice!
If it don’t take ya to the forest nothing will lol ;)

MzPriss

I need to start some kombucha

MzPriss

OKI’m off to get a bottle of Kombucha. Also, Brenden I need do my chaga. You said 5 grams before but in how much water? 8 qt stock pot?

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Your gonna love it :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Realized recently that weight isnt the best way to go by since dryness level varies so much. I’d say about 2 tablespoons per 4qts…how big are your chunks?

Like 1×2″ some 2×2

Whispering Pines Tea Company

okay…you should chop them into 1×1″ cubes and then use 1 cube per quart :) Simmer for an hour. it would be good if you chopped them into 1×1″ cubes, then weighed it out to get an average weight, chop them up smaller and then go by weight instead

Whispering Pines Tea Company

more surface area will give more extraction

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Also, i like to add a teaspoon of elderberries per quart

MzPriss

OK. I just got back with kombucha and my tea is cooling so I will chop chaga

Terri HarpLady

Where’s you get your Chaga, Priss?

From today forward, every ounce of tea you buy will plant a tree! And no, this is not an April fool joke!

Effective April 1st, 2014, Whispering Pines Tea Company has pledged to donate to non-profits specializing in sustainability. Our foremost goal for this pledge is to offset the negative effects of worldwide deforestation to create a stronger, cleaner, and greener future. We pledge to plant a tree for every single ounce of tea you purchase from today forward. Many of these trees will be planted by non-profits in parts of the world where deforestation is a large concern for the ecosystem, and many will be planted directly by the staff at Whispering Pines.

We feel great pride in taking these vital steps to preserve some of the most pristine areas on Earth and we are honored to create a simple way for our customers to do the same.

Anyway, this is my morning cup today because it’s cozy and rich. This and Golden Orchid have become my go-to black teas in the morning recently :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Bonnie

You a A+ and I’ve been enjoying your slack-line pictures too! Can’t figure out if you’re in Europe competing or here though?! Hope everyone knows that you are a big time athlete as well as a tea guy!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Thanks Bonnie! I just got back…was only a 4 day trip, but I won! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLInST2BVj0

Tea Sipper

I love the tree planting! :D

Me too! I’m really excited! :D

Bonnie

Wow Brenden, keep everyone posted! Need more vid’s on your Whispering Pines site! You are awesome!

So, I ordered a sampler pack… and it came today. This smells pretty good, like malty chocolate. In the flavour I get more fruit, and bread… along with the cocoa. So pretty much it’s chocolate covered fruit, with plums, and some really good bread. Seems a little out of place in the Summer though, I think this is an Autumn morning tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt

My lovely friend JustJames sent me a generous sample of this. I had it yesterday and I liked it, however, my allergies were acting up so I decided to give it another chance.

Today the scent is much richer it has the chocolate, butter and apricot tones I smelled yesterday as well as a lovely bready tone that wasn’t there yesterday.

I remember that the name seemed fitting because this smells soothing and warm, just what you need on a brisk, cool day.

Flavour wise it is smooth with apricot, and bready notes up front and cocoa mixing with butter in the background. There is a slight artichoke note as well hidden among the fruit up front. As it cools the apricot becomes more plum like, a honey note and malt become apparent.

This resteeps very well with fruity notes and malt becoming stronger as the cocoa fades. It is good for at least three steeps.

This tea has a nice simple flavour profile which is comforting delicious and suits its name! Thanks James!

Originally I wanted to make Golden Orchid but I wanted to save that for after work tomorrow since it’s bound to be a stressful day. But North Winds was supposed to be smiliar-ish and since I had gotten that in the three tea sample pack that I had bought, I figured what the heck.
So I was kinda confused on how to make this. The package said use a 1/2 tbsp for an 8oz cup but everyone here seems to say use a full tbsp for their 8-12oz cups. And since there was just the tbsp in the package and I usually make 12oz-ish cups I just dumped the whole thing into the infuser. Kinda bummed that I can’t make another cup, but I guess I should’ve just done the 1/2 tsp for an 8oz cup. Oh well. Hindsight right? Lol.
The brew reminds me strongly of Laoshan Black to be honest. It’s got that same sort of roasty, chocolaty sort of scent that I remember from the Laoshan Black.
Taste wise I get a very heavily roasty sip, with a bit of sweetness in the sip. I don’t really get fruit when I get that sweetness though. Mild-ish astringency. I could see if I drank alot of it that the astringency might get a bit much after awhile. It’s mostly just a roasty sort of brew to drink for me.
After adding a bit of Truvia, the roastyness has backed off a bit and a more chocolaty sort of note has come up. Very nice actually.
Since I used my whole sample for this cup, I’m going to give resteeping this a second try at least. Just to see if that makes a different brew.
But I’m not sure if this is a reorder for me. I’m honestly not too enamored of teas that are so roasty tasting. But it’s certainly still a nice cup of tea to sip at.

I had Golden Orchid yesterday evening, and this morning I had the base tea for GO! North Winds is unmistakably the base blend but it lacks the smoothness and the creaminess of GO. (Those vanilla beans make a huge difference.) It has notes of cocoa, honey, fruits, chocolate, and grain. It’s chocolate but it’s not a DARK chocolate. The fruity notes are simultaneously like plums, cherries, and raisins, but then it’s not quite any of them. There’s a hay-like flavor as well. Some caramel sweetness peeks out in the aftertaste, but it’s subtle. I want to say there’s a somewhat mineral quality to it, too. Maybe I’m crazy!

Now that I’ve had the two, I think the main differences between GO and NW are texture and sweetness. While GO is like satin and velvet—soft fabrics—NW is like freshly sawn wood. It’s soft, but there’s a graininess to it. GO = glossy. NW = matte. I hope that makes some sense.

I hate to compare the two because they are not the same. They are teas for different occasions. (At least for me.) North Winds is for mornings; Golden Orchid is for evenings, a time where you can devote your attention to something luxurious. I now have a greater appreciation for the latter.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Grain, Hay, Honey, Malt, Plums, Raisins

Sarsonator

Lovely review. I enjoyed your textural descriptions!

pyarkaaloo

wow, thank you so much. this is perfect. your descriptions & comparisons of texture are so helpful. i recently had Verdant Tea’s Laoshan Black (which i love) & it sounds a lot like what you’re describing here, though i don’t doubt there could be a world of difference between them! i read so many rave reviews about Golden Orchid which naturally drew comparisons to North Winds. i was dying to know the real difference. your review answered so many questions, again thank you :) both go on my wish list!

kimquat

Thanks you guys!

@pyarkaaloo I’m so glad I could help you out! There is bit of difference between LB and NW. NW is a little darker and heavier, as far as texture and flavors go. I prefer it for that reason. I do hope you enjoy it!