Fujian Xiao Zhong, Yunnan Dian Hong
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I asked for a sample of this tea from *MissB* because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only "black tea". Based on the flavors within I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1856 tasting notes
  • “How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I'm looking forward to the re-steeps! The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 954 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the many teas *MissB* sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I'd never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you! It's got that chocolate malt...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1416 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!* You must read Brenden's discription of this tea no matter what. It's charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 672 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
Michigan is full of wondrous little towns known for the things they have perfected and small spots of nature that will take your breath away. This tea is inspired by the entire northern area of Michigan, from Traverse City to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Traverse City is in the northern lower peninsula of the state. They are widely known for their amazing cherries, which are sold alongside other fruits from roadside stands during the summer months. You can get anything cherry here, and it will spoil you for cherries forever. I’ll never be able to eat cherries elsewhere! =)

Heading northward from the cherry capitol of the world and over the longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere brings you to Mackinac Island. This island is full of little shops, cafes, and bakeries, and they are very well known for their fudge. Any flavor of fudge you can imagine can be found on this island, but you can never go wrong with a piece of dark chocolate fudge as Autumn is closing in!

As the north winds bring you higher and the first snow begins to fall, the Les Cheneaux Islands and surrounding area of the upper peninsula will send chills down your spine. The wind picks up, the lake begins to freeze, and a snowstorm will keep you indoors with a hefty cup of black tea as company. Looking outside at the winter wonderland, you can’t help but notice that you are in the most beautiful place in the world.

North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Fruity sweet notes bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. These smooth, decadent notes combine into a heavy bodied tea with a medium-malty background that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

Notes
Cocoa
Pluot
Malt
Honey
Sugarcane

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

2nd infusion: 3 minutes
3rd infusion: 4 minutes
4th infusion: 5 minutes
5th infusion: 7 minutes

A blend of Chinese black tea from Yunnan and Fujian provinces

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I asked for a sample of this tea from MissB because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only “black tea”. Based on the flavors within I am assuming it is an unflavored blend of various black teas, but I would love to know what they were. It’s honestly the type of thing that keeps me from ordering such a tea because I don’t really know what’s in it. “Black tea” is not a thing; every black tea is a varietal, and while it may not mean much to some of your customers, it means quite a lot to others. Even just saying “China” versus “India” or “Sri Lanka” can communicate a lot more information (for instance, I generally stay away from Indian teas).

Anyway, with that rant over, this is a lovely tea. Very chocolatey… it reminds me a bit of a Fengqing black dragon pearl, though not pearled, obviously. There are bright fruity notes and I do think they come across as a tart, fresh cherry. There is a bit of hay and the robustness of malt. Very smooth, very tasty. Thanks for the sample, MissB!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m updating it right now :) And by the way, It’s Yunnan Dian Hong and Fujian Xiao Zhong :)

Dinosara

Thanks so much! It’s awesome when a tea company interacts with it’s customers and take suggestions. It was a great tea, I’m glad to know what’s in it. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you liked it! I can’t imagine running a tea business and not interacting with the customers and getting feedback – that’s 95% of the fun! :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Oh and since you liked this one, you might also be interested in Golden Orchid. Golden Orchid is this tea with organic vanilla beans. It’s REALLY yummy!

Fjellrev

Yum, anything Fengqing black dragon pearl-like must be a win.

Dinosara

That does sound great! I’ll have to try it sometime :)

How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I’m looking forward to the re-steeps!

The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of malt and sugarcane. Sugarcane? That’s a first for me. Like of all of Brenden’s creations, I also get something very campfire/outdoorsy in this, almost oaky, or smokey, or both. Fruit? Something light and sweet in there too in the background, although it’s a new flavor for me so I struggle to place it. All in all, this is exquisite. Too bad it took me opening the bag to share with others for me to try it!

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

yyz

That’s OK maybe it’s happening at a time when you can best appreciate it.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is only of the teas I’ve put the most work into, I’m so glad you appreciate it :)

This was one of the many teas MissB sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I’d never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you!

It’s got that chocolate malt flavour that you find in Verdant’s Laoshan Black, and it has a little bit of astringency at the end of the sip; but it’s astringent in a good way – not bitter. It seems to have a touch of honey in there too, or at least I imagine it.

Oh, and the chocolate notes linger long after each sip – just the way I like my chocolate….

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!

You must read Brenden’s discription of this tea no matter what. It’s charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I’m convinced that we can all find our own special place that says “THIS IS HOME”! It has nothing whatever to do with money or power. It’s something in the heart.

I’m happy to have found my ‘Home’ for now. I always say ‘for now’ in case God has other plans for me. My heart happiness is portable.

Brenden has decided to create his tea’s without artifical flavors or the low quality tea’s found in far too many blends. Yeah! I’m a great fan of all the Tea Companies that don’t use artificial ingredients and who don’t compromise on quality!

North Winds: The wonderful Fujian Black Tea (which I bought from Whispering Pines already because it’s so Cocoa-luscious) base is cocoa and milky, not a dark chocolate. I didn’t taste cherry, mentioned in the description Brenden wrote,..but instead tasted sweet tea cookie (like animal cracker).
The tea was creamy, buttery with malted caramel, chocolate filled pastry.

Goodness! How on earth do you discribe how good this tea tasted?

Please try it with cream and sweeten. This type of tea is enhanced a great deal by both (brings the cocoa alive and a richness to dessert level).

I’d suggest having North Winds over the holidays with shortbread or sugar cookies with people who love you .

We love this tea, it really is one of Brenden’s Masterpieces! A wonderful rich smooth tea blend that will leave you wanting more.
This one is made with Brenden’s Fujian Black and Yunnan Dian Hong, so simple yet so complex in flavor. This tea is rich and bold, but smooth and creamy with notes of caramel and dark chocolate, it is also malty with fruity hints of stone fruit kinda plum like fruitiness. Most delicious tea that we will reorder again and again.
I’m currently waiting on my next WP to arrive because I’m excited for another one of Brenden’s new blends called Golden Orchid which is this Tea with the addition of Organic Vanilla beans, Sounds so good.
I highly recommend this tea, delicious!!

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Plums

From today forward, every ounce of tea you buy will plant a tree! And no, this is not an April fool joke!

Effective April 1st, 2014, Whispering Pines Tea Company has pledged to donate to non-profits specializing in sustainability. Our foremost goal for this pledge is to offset the negative effects of worldwide deforestation to create a stronger, cleaner, and greener future. We pledge to plant a tree for every single ounce of tea you purchase from today forward. Many of these trees will be planted by non-profits in parts of the world where deforestation is a large concern for the ecosystem, and many will be planted directly by the staff at Whispering Pines.

We feel great pride in taking these vital steps to preserve some of the most pristine areas on Earth and we are honored to create a simple way for our customers to do the same.

Anyway, this is my morning cup today because it’s cozy and rich. This and Golden Orchid have become my go-to black teas in the morning recently :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Bonnie

You a A+ and I’ve been enjoying your slack-line pictures too! Can’t figure out if you’re in Europe competing or here though?! Hope everyone knows that you are a big time athlete as well as a tea guy!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Thanks Bonnie! I just got back…was only a 4 day trip, but I won! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLInST2BVj0

Tea Sipper

I love the tree planting! :D

Me too! I’m really excited! :D

Bonnie

Wow Brenden, keep everyone posted! Need more vid’s on your Whispering Pines site! You are awesome!

Oh yeah – this tea. What a luscious blend. There is light cocoa and a little malt and a bit of a bright sweetness that is very pleasing. Nice and round with a tiny bit of tingle on the tip of my tongue at the end. This is a bright and happy morning tea to be up with ridiculously early for Easter. It’s smooth and has an entirely different groove from a lot of the black teas I love most. This blend reminds me Sam Cooke – but not Sam Cooke alone – specifically the blend of Sam Cooke’s voice with Lou Rawls on this song:

I really like this tea and dealing with Brenden is a pleasure.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Love this, and would love to have a tea that grooves the way Sam Cooke’s music does, awesome:-)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, baby!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Haha that’s an awesome comparison…and I can totally see it, too! :) So glad you’re enjoying this one!

Brenden sent this as a sample in my order, which is rather uncanny, since I’d almost ordered it, but had to take it out for budget concerns. :) I was very happily surprised!

I ended up steeping this four times throughout the course of the day… and it really says something about a tea that I’m willing to go back to it that many times in one day. Usually at some point I say to myself, “Eh, I’ve had that already, let’s shake it up.” Not this time! It was very malty and bready and had some light hints of honey, just barely. Sadly, through all the steeps, I just wasn’t getting the chocolate notes. Maybe next time? I suppose I should try it once without sugar, too… I forgot to, in my hurry that morning.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

my second tea from whispering pines! and i had no idea that breaking into it tonight would come along with another celebration as i sipped…..

i hate waiting for grades; classes are done- I WANT MY MARKS! …..please. but profs get busy, sadly it isn’t a immediate thing. i was just starting into this chocolatey assam-esque tea when the message came that the final grade for the class that had me working my butt off all semester had been posted.

i could see the grades, but the student numbers had been scrambled! i was supposed to write for a code…… was i getting extra marks for this? gimmethecodegimmethecodegimmethecode.

there was a lone 87.3. highest in the class by 6%. mine. Mine. MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there were two others that were close, just a hair under 1% off. my team was 3……. this was us, i was sure. that 87.3 was MINE. i took a real beating this semester….it’s a long story. short story? that number was MINE.

gimmethecode.

-check email…. wasn’t there yet. sip tea.
-rinse
-sip tea
-repeat
-the code was in…..

second time with this prof…. highest mark in the class. he isn’t easy. he poked fun at me this semester about having no life! but he sent me a beautiful letter of congratulations….

this is an excellent celebratory tea. not malty to me, which suits me fine. a dark chocolate assam. lovely and rich…. i used some turbinado sugar and a bit of cream. i don’t miss dessert! very nice.

just waiting for one more grade =0)

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML
__Morgana__

James, what wonderful news! Many congrats! So well deserved!

JustJames

=0))) thank you… you know when it’s over, but it doesn’t feel over? as the grades come in i’m starting to feel it. whew!

CK

Congratulations! and this sounds likes an awesome tea moment :)

JustJames

it was an excellent tea moment…. had it been coffee i’d have needed someone to peel me off the ceiling, lol.

boychik

Congrats!!! Im sure you are going to remember that guy.

caile

That’s wonderful – congratulations!

greenteafairy

Congratulations!

JustJames

i believe this prof is the one i’ll be mentoring with for my phd. i’ve asked and he’s already agreed. you know when you meet someone that you would genuinely like to be at the end of it all?

thank you for the congratulations! sorry i’ve been so absent lately!

Amariel

This is the one I selected for the contest.

which contest?

Amariel

Whispering Pines Butiki combo contest…they were supposed to announce a winner on the 15th, but I have not seen anything about the winner yet.

JustJames

man…. i really need to come up for air when i’m studying.

Amariel

I would have missed this too, only I saw something in my FB feed, I think from Cavo about it…