Fujian Xiao Zhong, Yunnan Dian Hong
Baked Bread, Cocoa, Chocolate, Fruity, Malt, Caramel, Grain, Hay, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Dark Bittersweet, Molasses, Cream, Stonefruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

4 Images

• “I asked for a sample of this tea from *MissB* because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only "black tea". Based on the flavors within I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2007 tasting notes
  • “How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I'm looking forward to the re-steeps! The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1146 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the many teas *MissB* sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I'd never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you! It's got that chocolate malt...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!* You must read Brenden's discription of this tea no matter what. It's charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Michigan is full of wondrous little towns known for the things they have perfected and small spots of nature that will take your breath away. This tea is inspired by the entire northern area of Michigan, from Traverse City to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Traverse City is in the northern lower peninsula of the state. They are widely known for their amazing cherries, which are sold alongside other fruits from roadside stands during the summer months. You can get anything cherry here, and it will spoil you for cherries forever. I’ll never be able to eat cherries elsewhere! =)

Heading northward from the cherry capitol of the world and over the longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere brings you to Mackinac Island. This island is full of little shops, cafes, and bakeries, and they are very well known for their fudge. Any flavor of fudge you can imagine can be found on this island, but you can never go wrong with a piece of dark chocolate fudge as Autumn is closing in!

As the north winds bring you higher and the first snow begins to fall, the Les Cheneaux Islands and surrounding area of the upper peninsula will send chills down your spine. The wind picks up, the lake begins to freeze, and a snowstorm will keep you indoors with a hefty cup of black tea as company. Looking outside at the winter wonderland, you can’t help but notice that you are in the most beautiful place in the world.

Our house black tea for good reason — North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Sweet fruity notes of apricot and white grape bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. Notes of toasted rye with cherry preserves show up mid-sip with a beautiful malt and wildflower honey finish. Light hints of sweet potato and clean white pepper mingle through the malt. These velvety smooth, decadent notes combine into a medium-bodied tea with a bold and rustic feel that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

North Winds is blended seasonally to achieve the most balanced flavor profile. The current offering is a blend of Spring and Autumn 2014 material from Fujian and Yunnan provinces of China.

The recommended brewing style for North Winds is Gongfu Style.

Western Style:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon (1.9g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.

Cherry
White Pepper

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

2007 tasting notes

I asked for a sample of this tea from MissB because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only “black tea”. Based on the flavors within I am assuming it is an unflavored blend of various black teas, but I would love to know what they were. It’s honestly the type of thing that keeps me from ordering such a tea because I don’t really know what’s in it. “Black tea” is not a thing; every black tea is a varietal, and while it may not mean much to some of your customers, it means quite a lot to others. Even just saying “China” versus “India” or “Sri Lanka” can communicate a lot more information (for instance, I generally stay away from Indian teas).

Anyway, with that rant over, this is a lovely tea. Very chocolatey… it reminds me a bit of a Fengqing black dragon pearl, though not pearled, obviously. There are bright fruity notes and I do think they come across as a tart, fresh cherry. There is a bit of hay and the robustness of malt. Very smooth, very tasty. Thanks for the sample, MissB!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m updating it right now :) And by the way, It’s Yunnan Dian Hong and Fujian Xiao Zhong :)

Dinosara

Thanks so much! It’s awesome when a tea company interacts with it’s customers and take suggestions. It was a great tea, I’m glad to know what’s in it. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you liked it! I can’t imagine running a tea business and not interacting with the customers and getting feedback – that’s 95% of the fun! :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Oh and since you liked this one, you might also be interested in Golden Orchid. Golden Orchid is this tea with organic vanilla beans. It’s REALLY yummy!

Fjellrev

Yum, anything Fengqing black dragon pearl-like must be a win.

Dinosara

That does sound great! I’ll have to try it sometime :)

How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I’m looking forward to the re-steeps!

The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of malt and sugarcane. Sugarcane? That’s a first for me. Like of all of Brenden’s creations, I also get something very campfire/outdoorsy in this, almost oaky, or smokey, or both. Fruit? Something light and sweet in there too in the background, although it’s a new flavor for me so I struggle to place it. All in all, this is exquisite. Too bad it took me opening the bag to share with others for me to try it!

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

yyz

That’s OK maybe it’s happening at a time when you can best appreciate it.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is only of the teas I’ve put the most work into, I’m so glad you appreciate it :)

This was one of the many teas MissB sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I’d never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you!

It’s got that chocolate malt flavour that you find in Verdant’s Laoshan Black, and it has a little bit of astringency at the end of the sip; but it’s astringent in a good way – not bitter. It seems to have a touch of honey in there too, or at least I imagine it.

Oh, and the chocolate notes linger long after each sip – just the way I like my chocolate….

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!

You must read Brenden’s discription of this tea no matter what. It’s charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I’m convinced that we can all find our own special place that says “THIS IS HOME”! It has nothing whatever to do with money or power. It’s something in the heart.

I’m happy to have found my ‘Home’ for now. I always say ‘for now’ in case God has other plans for me. My heart happiness is portable.

Brenden has decided to create his tea’s without artifical flavors or the low quality tea’s found in far too many blends. Yeah! I’m a great fan of all the Tea Companies that don’t use artificial ingredients and who don’t compromise on quality!

North Winds: The wonderful Fujian Black Tea (which I bought from Whispering Pines already because it’s so Cocoa-luscious) base is cocoa and milky, not a dark chocolate. I didn’t taste cherry, mentioned in the description Brenden wrote,..but instead tasted sweet tea cookie (like animal cracker).
The tea was creamy, buttery with malted caramel, chocolate filled pastry.

Goodness! How on earth do you discribe how good this tea tasted?

Please try it with cream and sweeten. This type of tea is enhanced a great deal by both (brings the cocoa alive and a richness to dessert level).

I’d suggest having North Winds over the holidays with shortbread or sugar cookies with people who love you .

Oh So I lied I will review my Kombucha, it IS after all a Whispering Pines Tea :)
So put some Chaga and Reishi mushroom tea in my North Winds Kombucha this morning and it was pretty good.
I can already taste the malty, cocoa sweetness of the North Winds in my kombucha and the brew itself has the perfect tangy sweet slightly sour bite that i’ve tweaked to my personal taste which is i’d have to say is just slightly a bit more sour than a kombucha that you’d buy at the store, very good imo :)
Now with the added mushroom juice it’s about as tangy as a store bought kombucha with awesome woody, earthy,mushroomy notes that really tastes like something from the forest, something magical even, I love it!! It makes me feel good and happy too.

Mushroom revolution!!! :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Yes Sir! You should try it in the kombucha, it quite nice!
If it don’t take ya to the forest nothing will lol ;)

MzPriss

I need to start some kombucha

MzPriss

OKI’m off to get a bottle of Kombucha. Also, Brenden I need do my chaga. You said 5 grams before but in how much water? 8 qt stock pot?

Your gonna love it :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Realized recently that weight isnt the best way to go by since dryness level varies so much. I’d say about 2 tablespoons per 4qts…how big are your chunks?

Like 1×2″ some 2×2

Whispering Pines Tea Company

okay…you should chop them into 1×1″ cubes and then use 1 cube per quart :) Simmer for an hour. it would be good if you chopped them into 1×1″ cubes, then weighed it out to get an average weight, chop them up smaller and then go by weight instead

Whispering Pines Tea Company

more surface area will give more extraction

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Also, i like to add a teaspoon of elderberries per quart

MzPriss

OK. I just got back with kombucha and my tea is cooling so I will chop chaga

Terri HarpLady

Where’s you get your Chaga, Priss?

After months upon months of sampling and finally choosing the right tea for the job, our newly-redesigned house black tea, North Winds, is now available! Read about the inspiration and new flavor profile below!

Our house black tea for good reason — North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Sweet fruity notes of apricot and white grape bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. Notes of toasted rye with cherry preserves show up mid-sip with a beautiful malt and wildflower honey finish. These smooth, decadent notes combine into a medium-bodied tea with a bold and rustic feel that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

Available here: http://whisperingpinestea.com/north-winds.html

would this be the version that was sent out this past month? Or would i have the previous version?

You’ve got the previous version. This just launched 10 minutes ago! :D

I’m so excited about this tea…I’ve been drinking it every day!

doh lol

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hehe, it’s okay…just know that if you like anything about the one you have, you’ll love the new one ;-)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

I didn’t think North Winds could get any better, I’ve always loved it :) i can’t wait to try the new one soon.

TheTeaFairy

Sounds so good!!

I’ve been interested in trying more black tea blends lately, so this is one of the ones I ordered. The blend is composed of two kinds of tea leaves, both spindly and dark but one with golden undersides—this is probably the dian hong. The aroma is an intense, pleasant waft of chocolate and malt. The taste is just what you’d expect from that too, a very welcoming combination of chocolate, malt, and nutty notes, and plus there’s that full-bodied, bready richness from the dian hong. The finish is clear and sweet, and reminiscent of apricot. It’s a wonderfully cozy tea for breakfast or any other time of day!

Brendan’s inspiration behind this tea is also great to read. Maybe we’ll see some lovely teas inspired by the Oregon wilderness in the future :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you like this one! :) I’m kind of in love with it. hehe

Oregon inspired teas will definitely be on the way soonish! :D

Mikumofu

It’s a fantastic blend! And that is awesome to hear :)

i know i reviewed this tea before. Steepster eats older notes… Sigh…
This time i’m tasting a new version. I liked the older one but this just blew my mind. It is liquid chocolate people. Without any sugar or maple syrup. You dont have to guess the flavors. Bold yummy chocolate, maybe some malt, but not much.
i still have an older one, and was hesitating if i should get another once. Im so happy cause this one is so much better and richer (not that anything wrong w/older one ;)

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
TeaTiff

Brings up web page to place order…….

yeah i really liked the old version…new one came out after i ordered..

Cheri

I’ve been trying not to order more tea, but this one keeps popping up. I may have to order.

Tealizzy

Me too, Cheri! Must resist!!!

My first whispering pines order arrived just when I needed it most it seems, and I was so happy to come home to find the box at my door after a long day at the hospital.

This is what I brewed to sit and relax with, as I knew I would love it. And I was right.

Cocoa, malt, toasty bread, and a bit of spice and fruitiness. So perfectly sweet and delicious!!

Second steep just as tasty and has more spicy fruit and potato notes. Yum!

boychik

I had it too today. The new version. It is delicious . Period,

caile

It is! This would be the new version also I think – I never had the old one but am happy I have this now.

TeaTiff

I am glad to see a review of the new version.

caile

It is really good, and I’m sure you’ll love it. :)

Just finished my sample of this tea. Definitely getting some chocolate notes in this one, quickly followed by a sharp sweetness. These flavors are brought together by an earthy, slightly malty body. I did perhaps notice a tiny bit of bitterness and astringency, but trust me as somebody who dislikes those things a lot – they are not a problem due to the boldness of the fruit flavor here. In fact, this tea may have let me develop an appreciation for how a hint of bitterness and astringency can sometimes work with the flavors to produce something good. In regards to that it reminds me of dark chocolate, where the bitterness is sort of a necessary evil that eventually grows on you. Currently I’m unsure if i would re-order this and I find it hard to rate this tea because I am still kind of ‘exploring’ the spectrum of various black teas… but I would not be surprised if, at the end of my journey, this tea ends up being one of the highlights.

3min/1.5tsp/210F/8oz