Fujian Xiao Zhong, Yunnan Dian Hong
Baked Bread, Cocoa, Chocolate, Fruity, Malt, Caramel, Grain, Hay, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Dark Bittersweet, Molasses, Cream, Stonefruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I asked for a sample of this tea from *MissB* because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only "black tea". Based on the flavors within I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1994 tasting notes
  • “How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I'm looking forward to the re-steeps! The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1144 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the many teas *MissB* sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I'd never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you! It's got that chocolate malt...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!* You must read Brenden's discription of this tea no matter what. It's charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Michigan is full of wondrous little towns known for the things they have perfected and small spots of nature that will take your breath away. This tea is inspired by the entire northern area of Michigan, from Traverse City to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Traverse City is in the northern lower peninsula of the state. They are widely known for their amazing cherries, which are sold alongside other fruits from roadside stands during the summer months. You can get anything cherry here, and it will spoil you for cherries forever. I’ll never be able to eat cherries elsewhere! =)

Heading northward from the cherry capitol of the world and over the longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere brings you to Mackinac Island. This island is full of little shops, cafes, and bakeries, and they are very well known for their fudge. Any flavor of fudge you can imagine can be found on this island, but you can never go wrong with a piece of dark chocolate fudge as Autumn is closing in!

As the north winds bring you higher and the first snow begins to fall, the Les Cheneaux Islands and surrounding area of the upper peninsula will send chills down your spine. The wind picks up, the lake begins to freeze, and a snowstorm will keep you indoors with a hefty cup of black tea as company. Looking outside at the winter wonderland, you can’t help but notice that you are in the most beautiful place in the world.

Our house black tea for good reason — North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Sweet fruity notes of apricot and white grape bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. Notes of toasted rye with cherry preserves show up mid-sip with a beautiful malt and wildflower honey finish. Light hints of sweet potato and clean white pepper mingle through the malt. These velvety smooth, decadent notes combine into a medium-bodied tea with a bold and rustic feel that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

North Winds is blended seasonally to achieve the most balanced flavor profile. The current offering is a blend of Spring and Autumn 2014 material from Fujian and Yunnan provinces of China.

The recommended brewing style for North Winds is Gongfu Style.

Western Style:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon (1.9g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.

Cream
Cherry
White Pepper

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This sample is also from Nicole (although I did also order a sample of this, hah!). It’s a blend of Yunnan and Fujian teas, which is pretty obvious by looking at it. It has the longer, lighter colored tippy Yunnan leaves and then there are also shorter, darker Fujian leaves. It smells very nice – bready with malt and honey and a little cocoa. Steeped according to the package directions.

The aroma is similar to the dry leaf, with an added dark raisiny note. The taste is definitely a hybrid. It’s like a light Yunnan that has been dragged down into darkness by its Fujian counterpart. It still has those lovely lighter malty bread and honey notes, but there’s an underlying depth and richness from bitter cocoa and syrupy molasses. In the middle is the lovely raisin fruitiness that helps to tie these two together. A very nice combination! I’ll have to be sure to try the Fujian on its own soon so I can fully appreciate this blend.

I will say one thing, this has given me a much greater appreciation of Golden Orchid. While this does have some dark and bitter cocoa flavor, it’s nowhere close to the same. So clearly those little vanilla beans have a huge effect! Can’t wait to try that one again later today… :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dark Bittersweet, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Raisins

Nicole

See, I knew my taste buds were tin-foil-hatting again. I got smoke off of this one. :(

1971 tasting notes

Oh North Winds, you really are quite lovely. Tbh this cup is more astringent than I remember the last one being but it does not mean this is unpleasant in any way. It is chocolate and honey that lingers long after the sip is done. Yum. Thanks again Cavocorax!!

This was generously included as a surprise sample in my Whispering Pines order. Thank you!

I can see why this tea gets a lot of love. Not only does this have that delightful cocoa note that I adore, but the texture is also thick with a milk-like quality.

Although I drank the first steep too quickly to discern any other qualities past “creamy”, I’ve had more time with this second steep. The cocoa and milk are still present, but there is also a distinctive fruity note, like sweet, tangy plums.

It’s a delicious cup, and I think I’ll appreciate its profile even more in the fall or winter. As it was, it turned out to be an awesome rainy evening tea.

Flavors: Cocoa, Cream, Malt, Plums, Stonefruits

TheTeaFairy

Sounds like pure yummy awesomeness…thank goodness I have some on the way. I was always forgetting to order that one!

CrowKettle

I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! I think it may have made my evening.. receiving the parcel and finding this sample definitely made my morning. :)

TheTeaFairy

Aww, so happy it made your evening CrowKettle :-) and yes, receiving a tea parcel is a great way to start your day :-)

Nightshifter

I don’t remember hearing about this tea company even a couple of years ago, but some of their stuff sounds really good. Will have to try! :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

@Nightshifter, I started the business in 2012 :)

Glad you like this one, CrowKettle! :D

TTF, I think you’ll enjoy this one, too :)

Nightshifter

Ah that explains it. Sounds like you are off to a great start though! I have already started making a little list of teas I want to try. :)

Tea Sipper

Oh my gosh, this tea has the best flavors!

TheTeaFairy

@WP: I know I will…i’ve already tasted what it’s made of ;-)

TheTeaFairy

Nightshifter, you know I’ve been on Steepster for a while…believe me when I tell you, this company has some of the best teas I have ever tried, and I’m not that easy to please!!

Nightshifter

Awesome! Will be ordering for sure. :)

Thought this was gonna be stronger, but it was still good. I don’t like teas that only taste like honey, but I love teas with the perfect combo of honey and malt. Also pretty chocolatey. So it’s definitely a win!
Black teas are always gonna amaze me, I tell ya! I still think it’s crazy how much flavor black teas have. I never even tried them because I thought they’d just taste like…I don’t know…Wood or something….Which makes like 0 sense. But I’m not too bright.
Haha I’m just so glad that I have come to realize how freakin’ magical black teas can be! Anyway, this tea is definitely a win! I have a bad feeling I’m gonna spend a lot of money on these WP teas. I blame TheTeaFairy…she makes all of the WP teas sound amazing. But hey, least her reviews are spot on! :P

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

TheTeaFairy

Aww, don,t ever say that about yourself, you are as bright as sunshine :-) I’m so glad you are enjoying more black teas, they are my first love!

Ost

I can see they’re your favorite. Your tasting notes make all of them sound magical! ^^

I got my wonderful Whispering Pines sample pack in the mail on Friday! Woot Woot. MzPriss, and Nicole allowed me to try Ailoashan Black Tea as well as Golden Orchard, but while I was waiting for Ailoashan to be restocked I ordered a few more samples. I didn’t realize it at the time, but this is the base for Golden Orchard. I remember commenting when drinking GO that whatever the base was would be amazing too. I was so right. This is quite the treat. it is rich, dark, and very cocoa. This is not honey sweet, but like having dark, dark chocolate. It would be really interesting to try a cup of this and GO side by side. This one will go on the wish list. I just checked the site, it looks like all the black teas that I am interested in are in stock…. oh man.

Steepster ate my comment :-(
Anyways, glad you are enjoying the tea :-)

MzPriss

I’m so glad you like it. I am down to my last tablespoon, but I believe the Tea Whiz of the Woods is sending me more today.

mj

I just ordered a sample of this :-)

TeaTiff

TTF – I think I saw something in my mail about chocolate. I think I need to keep this around for those days of pure chocolate cravings. Has anyone tried sugar. I feel so bad adding sugar to such a fine tea, but man as chocolaty as this taste I think it would be an interesting treat. MizPriss… Tea Whiz of the Woods. I like it! MJ- I hope you enjoy your sample. Do you get to also try Golden Orchird?

MzPriss

@Tiff – actually Tea Whiz of the Woods is a TeaFairy creation – I have adopted that from her :) (but he is)

mj

I ordered 2 oz of GO with the samples!

MzPriss

You are going to love that GO so so so much and like I told you before – welcome to your new addiction :)

ok, i like this tea. i LIKE this tea. I didn’t want to like it, because it seems to be trending on Steepster right now (june 2014) and I didn’t want to get on the bandwagon, as I am one who bucks trends. Hard. I am also honest. This is a great tea.

This tea is what would happen if Bailin Gong Fu and Yunnan Gold Tips had a baby. A tea born to rule the universe of my mouth. AND I ONLY GOT A SAMPLE!!! It is malty, it is the best chocolate note I’ve had in a tea yet. (I added milk and the tea held up to the milk wonderfully…perhaps even bringing more roundness to the chocolate note) Bailin Gong Fu is a bit intense for me at times, and Yunnan Gold Tips is a bit understated for the mornings where I want a good cup of breakfast tea. Here… Here in my cup right now is something I feel was created just for me.

I am originally from Michigan, you know. :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hehehe, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a review is done ;)

So glad you like this one! :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Can’t wait to hear what you think of Golden Orchid! ;)

donkeytiara

Neither can I! :)

Got this one from Courtney and it is both mineraly/raisiny/plummy and also cocoa/chocolatey. It is a quite nice black. I was able to enjoy this one without milk this morning, though I would like to see how it is with.

Quite enjoyable.

whatshesaid

I like this one also, haven’t tried it with milk yet!

Courtney

So far it looks like my teas have found great home. Yay.

Amariel

Yup, thanks!

From the Tea and Cards TTB: Oh wow, the beautiful honey and malt notes of this tea are haunting me. I love the floaty cocoa notes and the texture of this. I found the dry leaf aroma to be quite underwhelming in comparison to the taste. I guess that’s a good thing though. Better that than the other way around

Comfort tea. My son and I were in a car accident earlier today. We, as well as the driver of the other car, are fine (thank goodness!), but it still rattled me. I’ve been extra jumpy and sensitive, so I decided to calm myself with this lovely tea. Right now it’s everything I need it to be – hot, soothing, delicious, and easy to resteep. Sigh.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
carol who

Glad you are alright… how’s the car? This kind of thing really can shake you up!

darby

Oh no! Take care. Accidents, no matter how small, can rattle you for life! My hubby complains about my back seat driving because of an accident I was in.

Veronica

Thanks. The car is dented but we can still drive it. I’ve been in an accident before but never with my child in the car. That’s what shook me up the most. My son, on the other hand, has already moved passed it and is happily playing in his room.

Darby, I completely understand! I backseat drive for the same reason. This is the second time I’ve been hit because someone didn’t see me in their blind spot. I want to tell everyone I drive with “Check your blind spot!” over and over again.

Terri HarpLady

Glad you’re ok!

caile

Glad you are ok!

Michelle

So glad you are okay and that the tea eased your nerves!

Cheri

I’m so glad you’re okay. It is scary when you’re in an accident like that. I had my share earlier this year, and I know I spent quite a while afterward being paranoid about other cars on the road and in parking lots.

Veronica

Thanks everyone!

the first time i had this via cavo, it was good but not great. this time, courtesy of terri, it seemed to be a richer tea. maybe it’s the harvest of the tea or something but i quite enjoyed this the other day when i had it