Fujian Xiao Zhong, Yunnan Dian Hong
Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt, Caramel, Grain, Hay, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Dark Bittersweet, Molasses, Cream, Stonefruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I asked for a sample of this tea from *MissB* because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only "black tea". Based on the flavors within I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1957 tasting notes
  • “How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I'm looking forward to the re-steeps! The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1116 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the many teas *MissB* sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I'd never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you! It's got that chocolate malt...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1691 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!* You must read Brenden's discription of this tea no matter what. It's charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
Michigan is full of wondrous little towns known for the things they have perfected and small spots of nature that will take your breath away. This tea is inspired by the entire northern area of Michigan, from Traverse City to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Traverse City is in the northern lower peninsula of the state. They are widely known for their amazing cherries, which are sold alongside other fruits from roadside stands during the summer months. You can get anything cherry here, and it will spoil you for cherries forever. I’ll never be able to eat cherries elsewhere! =)

Heading northward from the cherry capitol of the world and over the longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere brings you to Mackinac Island. This island is full of little shops, cafes, and bakeries, and they are very well known for their fudge. Any flavor of fudge you can imagine can be found on this island, but you can never go wrong with a piece of dark chocolate fudge as Autumn is closing in!

As the north winds bring you higher and the first snow begins to fall, the Les Cheneaux Islands and surrounding area of the upper peninsula will send chills down your spine. The wind picks up, the lake begins to freeze, and a snowstorm will keep you indoors with a hefty cup of black tea as company. Looking outside at the winter wonderland, you can’t help but notice that you are in the most beautiful place in the world.

North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Fruity sweet notes bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. These smooth, decadent notes combine into a heavy bodied tea with a medium-malty background that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

Notes
Cocoa
Pluot
Malt
Honey
Sugarcane

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

2nd infusion: 3 minutes
3rd infusion: 4 minutes
4th infusion: 5 minutes
5th infusion: 7 minutes

A blend of Chinese black tea from Yunnan and Fujian provinces

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

ok, i like this tea. i LIKE this tea. I didn’t want to like it, because it seems to be trending on Steepster right now (june 2014) and I didn’t want to get on the bandwagon, as I am one who bucks trends. Hard. I am also honest. This is a great tea.

This tea is what would happen if Bailin Gong Fu and Yunnan Gold Tips had a baby. A tea born to rule the universe of my mouth. AND I ONLY GOT A SAMPLE!!! It is malty, it is the best chocolate note I’ve had in a tea yet. (I added milk and the tea held up to the milk wonderfully…perhaps even bringing more roundness to the chocolate note) Bailin Gong Fu is a bit intense for me at times, and Yunnan Gold Tips is a bit understated for the mornings where I want a good cup of breakfast tea. Here… Here in my cup right now is something I feel was created just for me.

I am originally from Michigan, you know. :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hehehe, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a review is done ;)

So glad you like this one! :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Can’t wait to hear what you think of Golden Orchid! ;)

donkeytiara

Neither can I! :)

Got this one from Courtney and it is both mineraly/raisiny/plummy and also cocoa/chocolatey. It is a quite nice black. I was able to enjoy this one without milk this morning, though I would like to see how it is with.

Quite enjoyable.

whatshesaid

I like this one also, haven’t tried it with milk yet!

Courtney

So far it looks like my teas have found great home. Yay.

Amariel

Yup, thanks!

From the Tea and Cards TTB: Oh wow, the beautiful honey and malt notes of this tea are haunting me. I love the floaty cocoa notes and the texture of this. I found the dry leaf aroma to be quite underwhelming in comparison to the taste. I guess that’s a good thing though. Better that than the other way around

Well, today went downhill quickly. In fact, I decided rather than bang my head against a wall I’m going to to give myself the day off (something I rarely do). Maybe I’ll post some notes that have been sitting in my queue, or maybe I’ll sit around and read others’ notes. Regardless, there will be much drinking of tea today because tea makes me happy, and life is too damn short to be unhappy over things I can’t control.

Speaking of tea, this tea rocks. It’s all rich dark chocolate with wonderful bready notes and honey at the finish. Yum. The second steep has the same flavors of the first with a slightly stronger biscuity flavor. Again, yum.

Thanks you, Whispering Pines, for adding this sample to my last order. One more tea that I love!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
Cheri

Sometimes a day off is what’s needed. I could have used one yesterday. I pushed through a bunch of crap, and the only thing that made it bearable was that I had tea with me all day long.

TheTeaFairy

«..and life is too damn short to be unhappy over things I can’t control.»
I totally agree! Have yourself a great tea day :-)

Cheri

I’m working from home today, so I’m enjoying teas that I haven’t brought to work yet. It’s working out well.

TeaBrat

Even though being on disability is stressful, I have to admit I don’t miss working at all..lmao

Veronica

Thanks, everyone. Turns out tea and a nap can turn a day around. :)

Another share from cavocorax I like this one a little less than the other straight from WP i had this morning. this one has a fruitier note to it that distracts me from enjoying the other tastes in this tea. It’s not a bad tea, but if i want fruity notes in my tea, i’ll stick with TTC teas from taiwan :) On the whole though, a nice cup to start my morning off. thanks cavo!

My first tea from Whispering Pines Thanks so much Boychik!!!

I can see why everyone is raving about this one. Strong cocoa and fruity notes make this one very appealing. Bold and malty and rich! Nom nom nom…perfect for breakfast, or in my case for an afternoon pick-me-up!

:D

Cheri

I really was surprised by this one. Everyone said great things about it, but it really, truly reminded me of the tasting notes from their website.

boychik

Yes ,its really good. i want your opinion on Golden Orchid.

Stephanie

Golden Orchid…same as this but with Vanilla beans, right? YUM

Cheri

I wish I’d gotten some of this, just to try it.

Yay! Good first impressions :) hehe

Cheri

Edit…mine was supposed to say THAT not THIS as in I wanted to try Golden Orchid…. Geeze Louise! It’s been one of those days. Need to go home. Need stronger tea.

This tea is not in what I would have called my tea wheelhouse. I’m not a fan of black teas, really, unless they’re flavored. But I ordered a sample of this one just based on the inspiration from the website. (Seriously, read the whole description of this tea. I mean read it. Traverse City, Mackinac Island, bridges (although I have to point out that you can’t take the Mighty Mac to the island), yes, this tea is supposed to remind me of a trip Up North.

So I added this sample, because I’ve been wanting and needing a trip up north (we’ve got one scheduled for next month, but that’s sooooo far away!)

And wow, you nailed this one. It is sweet, almost like a cherry, not quite, but yes, and chocolaty, like good dark Mackinac Island Fudge. I love the malt in this one. Not too malty, but just enough.

This mug really makes me want Northern Michigan all that much more. If you’ve never been, I suggest you go sometime. It is peaceful and laid back in a way that I just can’t explain. And beautiful. I love Michigan. I love Up North.

I’m really enjoying this tea. Like I said, it’s not my normal tea, but it is nice. I would like to have this one occasionally, when I need an escape Up North.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 15 OZ / 443 ML
boychik

you convinced me. I’m going ;)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I’m finally moving back…in a week! I can’t even contain my excitement!!!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I’m so glad that you get the references in my descriptions…I feel like a lot of people don’t TRULY understand Up North. I know that before I lived there, if you had told me that the most beautiful place in the world is northern Michigan, I would have laughed in your face ;)

Cheri

I’m sooo happy for you! If I could live way up there, I would, but my spouse’s job does not allow for telecommuting most of the time. (Mine does, so I can work from anywhere he needs to be.)

I’ve been to both of these places, and I just love it up there. At least it’s only a “short” drive to Traverse City or the UP and we can make long weekends or even week long get aways.

yyz

Yay, to returning to a place you love Brendan! Up north, what a term… Growing up, up north was anywhere North of Barrie(less than an hour from Toronto). I don’t know why because I’d been to Wawa on Lake Superior a number of times when I was little, but the ridiculousness of my perspective didn’t hit me until I worked in Chapleau for two summers and experienced the 8-12 he drive up there and entered the Arctic watershed while watching the seasons regress that my perspective changed and even then several members of Steepster live in places much further north than that. I lived in a Crown Game Preserve and experienced worse culture shock coming home than when I returned from India. There is something amazing about being surrounded by life! The furthest North I’ve been is Iqaluit but only for a short period of time.

Cheri

In metro Detroit, the term Up North is loosely interpreted as anywhere “north” of here, although it can also mean west in some cases. It’s getting out of the Big City and into the “wilderness”. Where I grew up, Up North was my family cottage 45 minutes away, about 2 miles north, mostly to the west. But it was on a lake and out of suburbia. Interestingly enough, that’s now mostly suburbia out there as well, so I’m not sure it counts as Up North anymore.

yyz

It’s always changing isn’t it? How awesome to have a cottage only 45 mine away. My cousin’s is in a beautiful spot it’s on a finger bay off Georgian Bay. It’s private enough that it seems to be on a private lake but they have easy access to the Great Lakes watershed. There is a wildlife reserve on one side ( The first time I was there, I went jogging and saw a bear), but it’s @2.5 hrs to get there.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yep! I don’t think I could consider any larger cities “up north”. I’m moving to a city of 450 people (White Pine, MI) right next to the Porcupine Mountains. Now THAT’S up north ;)

Cheri

I haven’t been to the Porcupine Mountains, but it’s on my list of places I want to go in Pure Michigan.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Well if you make it up to that area, let me know and we can break out some of my reserve teas! :)

Definitely!

mj

LOL I grew up in Florida, so up north was anywhere north of the mason-dixon line.

Cheri

Funny you say that. I have a friend from Florida who is coming to visit later this summer, and he said that it’s his “first trip up north because it’ll be the first time [he’ll] be north of the mason-dixon line.”

mj

That is funny! He definitely picked the right time of year to visit “up north”.

The dry leaves scent remind me of my favorite black from Adagio, Yunnan Jig. The steeped cup is vaguely similar to that tea, but this one has a nice subtle chocolate note. Definitely a wonderful full bodied tea. I prefer Golden Orchid over this one, but this is still a nice everyday black, whereas I feel like I need to make time to savor Golden Orchid when I drink it.

This tea is NOM.

I had some for breakfast. Well after I drank something else. What was that other thing…..OMG. I have no idea. I’m losing my mind.

Maybe it was a resteep of something leftover from last night?

Or maybe this was my first cup of the day?

I woke up
Fed baby
Played with baby
Made an omelet
Drank this tea

I feel like I had something else after I fed the baby but before the omelet.

Oh well. It’s gone.

THIS tea, this tea is NOM.

Chocolatey and delicious.

boychik

Who woke up first you or baby?

whatshesaid

We both woke up then went back to sleep. Then I woke her up! :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Dude your reviews rock. So glad you use the word nom the way it should be used :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I made up a word last year that I use in everyday conversation: Phenomable. Phenomenal and Nommable. Phenomenally nommable. So. Good. :)

Courtney

That word is amazing haha!

It really is!!

whatshesaid

Though this is a bad day for me to learn this new word…..my Facebook feed is blowing up with people posting Maya Angelou’s poem “Phenomenal Woman”

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hahaha :) Glad you like the word….use it in your reviews! ;)

The scent of this tea is smooth with a rather strong note of cocoa. Yum! I’m excited to see if some of the same cocoa notes are present in the flavor. Sipping… I’m picking up on a rich, dark chocolate flavor with a bit of bread. I almost want to say that the bread is sourdough, but it’s not quite there. There is a hint of astringency at the end of the sip which pairs well with the dark chocolate, but the rest of the sip is smooth. Overall, I think this is a tasty tea, but it isn’t one of my favorites. For me, this tea doesn’t have anything that makes me say “wow”. It’s not bad and I wouldn’t turn down a cup, but it seems to be a little flat.