Fujian Xiao Zhong, Yunnan Dian Hong
Baked Bread, Cocoa, Chocolate, Fruity, Malt, Caramel, Grain, Hay, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Dark Bittersweet, Molasses, Cream, Stonefruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I asked for a sample of this tea from *MissB* because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only "black tea". Based on the flavors within I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1979 tasting notes
  • “How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I'm looking forward to the re-steeps! The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1123 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the many teas *MissB* sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I'd never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you! It's got that chocolate malt...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!* You must read Brenden's discription of this tea no matter what. It's charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
Michigan is full of wondrous little towns known for the things they have perfected and small spots of nature that will take your breath away. This tea is inspired by the entire northern area of Michigan, from Traverse City to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Traverse City is in the northern lower peninsula of the state. They are widely known for their amazing cherries, which are sold alongside other fruits from roadside stands during the summer months. You can get anything cherry here, and it will spoil you for cherries forever. I’ll never be able to eat cherries elsewhere! =)

Heading northward from the cherry capitol of the world and over the longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere brings you to Mackinac Island. This island is full of little shops, cafes, and bakeries, and they are very well known for their fudge. Any flavor of fudge you can imagine can be found on this island, but you can never go wrong with a piece of dark chocolate fudge as Autumn is closing in!

As the north winds bring you higher and the first snow begins to fall, the Les Cheneaux Islands and surrounding area of the upper peninsula will send chills down your spine. The wind picks up, the lake begins to freeze, and a snowstorm will keep you indoors with a hefty cup of black tea as company. Looking outside at the winter wonderland, you can’t help but notice that you are in the most beautiful place in the world.

North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Fruity sweet notes bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. These smooth, decadent notes combine into a heavy bodied tea with a medium-malty background that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

Notes
Cocoa
Pluot
Malt
Honey
Sugarcane

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

2nd infusion: 3 minutes
3rd infusion: 4 minutes
4th infusion: 5 minutes
5th infusion: 7 minutes

A blend of Chinese black tea from Yunnan and Fujian provinces

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

The scent of this tea is smooth with a rather strong note of cocoa. Yum! I’m excited to see if some of the same cocoa notes are present in the flavor. Sipping… I’m picking up on a rich, dark chocolate flavor with a bit of bread. I almost want to say that the bread is sourdough, but it’s not quite there. There is a hint of astringency at the end of the sip which pairs well with the dark chocolate, but the rest of the sip is smooth. Overall, I think this is a tasty tea, but it isn’t one of my favorites. For me, this tea doesn’t have anything that makes me say “wow”. It’s not bad and I wouldn’t turn down a cup, but it seems to be a little flat.

It would be a good idea if I stopped using cups that are too big without adjusting the serving size of the leaf. It really makes a difference to follow directions. Often, I pull out any random sized cup and put in the same amount of leaf regardless. This tea is still pretty good when under leafed, though. It gets a fruity note to it that I don’t detect otherwise. However, the chocolate and malty notes are only there when I use more leaf.

I am raising the rating on this tea because Ive had it several times now and can safely say that it is a favorite.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is one of the few teas that I get legitimate cravings for. Speaking of which, I think the kettle is still warm :)

Terri HarpLady

Hey Shelley!
I was just commenting to Ms Theresa the other day, “I haven’t seen Shelley around for awhile.” So glad to see your face! ;)

Shelley_Lorraine

Ive been around! I just haven’t parked my stuff and unpacked recently ;)

Another great tea from Whispering Pines! This tea is the base for the Golden Orchid that I love so much, and while Golden Orchid is still the winner for me, North Winds is a close second.

The dark chocolate hits me first, but finishes with a lovely honey & chocolate aftertaste.

I am on my second steep, and it’s just as lovely as the first.

This is truly an excellent tea, the shear amount of flavor contained in this simple blend of two teas is remarkable! Kudos to Whispering Pines for bringing these two teas together to make some very special! I’m generally wary of blends, and it seemed unrealistic to expect so many different notes from straight black tea, but this meeting between two great black teas in inspired. Whispering Pines does a much better job describing the rich and complex flavor of this tea than I ever could, just let me add that they are dead on!

Just read Brenden’s note about getting to go home to Michigan and it inspired me to make a big ole cup of this. I thought it was gonna be a sipdown, but it looks like I have one more big cup left to enjoy. I love this tea MUCH!

So Brenden, in your honor, here’s some Johnny Horton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrfvjrr1Yk

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Just put that song on my roadtrip music list! :)

MzPriss

It’s an old favorite of mine and has been on my ipod since they started making ipods :)

Brenden sent this as a sample in my order, which is rather uncanny, since I’d almost ordered it, but had to take it out for budget concerns. :) I was very happily surprised!

I ended up steeping this four times throughout the course of the day… and it really says something about a tea that I’m willing to go back to it that many times in one day. Usually at some point I say to myself, “Eh, I’ve had that already, let’s shake it up.” Not this time! It was very malty and bready and had some light hints of honey, just barely. Sadly, through all the steeps, I just wasn’t getting the chocolate notes. Maybe next time? I suppose I should try it once without sugar, too… I forgot to, in my hurry that morning.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

my second tea from whispering pines! and i had no idea that breaking into it tonight would come along with another celebration as i sipped…..

i hate waiting for grades; classes are done- I WANT MY MARKS! …..please. but profs get busy, sadly it isn’t a immediate thing. i was just starting into this chocolatey assam-esque tea when the message came that the final grade for the class that had me working my butt off all semester had been posted.

i could see the grades, but the student numbers had been scrambled! i was supposed to write for a code…… was i getting extra marks for this? gimmethecodegimmethecodegimmethecode.

there was a lone 87.3. highest in the class by 6%. mine. Mine. MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there were two others that were close, just a hair under 1% off. my team was 3……. this was us, i was sure. that 87.3 was MINE. i took a real beating this semester….it’s a long story. short story? that number was MINE.

gimmethecode.

-check email…. wasn’t there yet. sip tea.
-rinse
-sip tea
-repeat
-the code was in…..

second time with this prof…. highest mark in the class. he isn’t easy. he poked fun at me this semester about having no life! but he sent me a beautiful letter of congratulations….

this is an excellent celebratory tea. not malty to me, which suits me fine. a dark chocolate assam. lovely and rich…. i used some turbinado sugar and a bit of cream. i don’t miss dessert! very nice.

just waiting for one more grade =0)

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML
__Morgana__

James, what wonderful news! Many congrats! So well deserved!

JustJames

=0))) thank you… you know when it’s over, but it doesn’t feel over? as the grades come in i’m starting to feel it. whew!

CK

Congratulations! and this sounds likes an awesome tea moment :)

JustJames

it was an excellent tea moment…. had it been coffee i’d have needed someone to peel me off the ceiling, lol.

boychik

Congrats!!! Im sure you are going to remember that guy.

caile

That’s wonderful – congratulations!

greenteafairy

Congratulations!

JustJames

i believe this prof is the one i’ll be mentoring with for my phd. i’ve asked and he’s already agreed. you know when you meet someone that you would genuinely like to be at the end of it all?

thank you for the congratulations! sorry i’ve been so absent lately!

Amariel

This is the one I selected for the contest.

which contest?

Amariel

Whispering Pines Butiki combo contest…they were supposed to announce a winner on the 15th, but I have not seen anything about the winner yet.

JustJames

man…. i really need to come up for air when i’m studying.

Amariel

I would have missed this too, only I saw something in my FB feed, I think from Cavo about it…