Old Version - North Winds (new version reviews, please migrate!)

Fujian Xiao Zhong, Yunnan Dian Hong
Apricot, Caramel, Chocolate, Carrot, Cocoa, Pepper, Rye, Sweet, Toast, Baked Bread, Fruity, Malt, Grain, Hay, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Dark Bittersweet, Molasses, Cream, Stonefruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

4 Images

• “I asked for a sample of this tea from *MissB* because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only "black tea". Based on the flavors within I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2030 tasting notes
  • “How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I'm looking forward to the re-steeps! The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1157 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the many teas *MissB* sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I'd never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you! It's got that chocolate malt...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!* You must read Brenden's discription of this tea no matter what. It's charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

PLEASE MIGRATE YOUR REVIEWS TO THE NEW NORTH WINDS PAGE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY REVIEWED THE NEW NORTH WINDS ON THIS PAGE! Thank you! :-)

Michigan is full of wondrous little towns known for the things they have perfected and small spots of nature that will take your breath away. This tea is inspired by the entire northern area of Michigan, from Traverse City to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Traverse City is in the northern lower peninsula of the state. They are widely known for their amazing cherries, which are sold alongside other fruits from roadside stands during the summer months. You can get anything cherry here, and it will spoil you for cherries forever. I’ll never be able to eat cherries elsewhere! =)

Heading northward from the cherry capitol of the world and over the longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere brings you to Mackinac Island. This island is full of little shops, cafes, and bakeries, and they are very well known for their fudge. Any flavor of fudge you can imagine can be found on this island, but you can never go wrong with a piece of dark chocolate fudge as Autumn is closing in!

As the north winds bring you higher and the first snow begins to fall, the Les Cheneaux Islands and surrounding area of the upper peninsula will send chills down your spine. The wind picks up, the lake begins to freeze, and a snowstorm will keep you indoors with a hefty cup of black tea as company. Looking outside at the winter wonderland, you can’t help but notice that you are in the most beautiful place in the world.

Our house black tea for good reason — North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Sweet fruity notes of apricot and white grape bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. Notes of toasted rye with cherry preserves show up mid-sip with a beautiful malt and wildflower honey finish. Light hints of sweet potato and clean white pepper mingle through the malt. These velvety smooth, decadent notes combine into a medium-bodied tea with a bold and rustic feel that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

North Winds is blended seasonally to achieve the most balanced flavor profile. The current offering is a blend of Spring and Autumn 2014 material from Fujian and Yunnan provinces of China.

The recommended brewing style for North Winds is Gongfu Style.

Western Style:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon (1.9g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes.

Cherry
White Pepper

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

2030 tasting notes

I asked for a sample of this tea from MissB because the description was so intriguing. I do end up a little confused since the ingredients list is only “black tea”. Based on the flavors within I am assuming it is an unflavored blend of various black teas, but I would love to know what they were. It’s honestly the type of thing that keeps me from ordering such a tea because I don’t really know what’s in it. “Black tea” is not a thing; every black tea is a varietal, and while it may not mean much to some of your customers, it means quite a lot to others. Even just saying “China” versus “India” or “Sri Lanka” can communicate a lot more information (for instance, I generally stay away from Indian teas).

Anyway, with that rant over, this is a lovely tea. Very chocolatey… it reminds me a bit of a Fengqing black dragon pearl, though not pearled, obviously. There are bright fruity notes and I do think they come across as a tart, fresh cherry. There is a bit of hay and the robustness of malt. Very smooth, very tasty. Thanks for the sample, MissB!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m updating it right now :) And by the way, It’s Yunnan Dian Hong and Fujian Xiao Zhong :)

Dinosara

Thanks so much! It’s awesome when a tea company interacts with it’s customers and take suggestions. It was a great tea, I’m glad to know what’s in it. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you liked it! I can’t imagine running a tea business and not interacting with the customers and getting feedback – that’s 95% of the fun! :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Oh and since you liked this one, you might also be interested in Golden Orchid. Golden Orchid is this tea with organic vanilla beans. It’s REALLY yummy!

Fjellrev

Yum, anything Fengqing black dragon pearl-like must be a win.

Dinosara

That does sound great! I’ll have to try it sometime :)

How have I avoided this one so long?! This is a beautiful, multifaceted, inspiring tea. I’m looking forward to the re-steeps!

The first sips were most definitely dark chocolate, then a bit of malt and sugarcane. Sugarcane? That’s a first for me. Like of all of Brenden’s creations, I also get something very campfire/outdoorsy in this, almost oaky, or smokey, or both. Fruit? Something light and sweet in there too in the background, although it’s a new flavor for me so I struggle to place it. All in all, this is exquisite. Too bad it took me opening the bag to share with others for me to try it!

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

yyz

That’s OK maybe it’s happening at a time when you can best appreciate it.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is only of the teas I’ve put the most work into, I’m so glad you appreciate it :)

This was one of the many teas MissB sent my way, and I am quite happy that she did. I’d never tried any Whispering Pines, and this tea is quite nice. Thank you!

It’s got that chocolate malt flavour that you find in Verdant’s Laoshan Black, and it has a little bit of astringency at the end of the sip; but it’s astringent in a good way – not bitter. It seems to have a touch of honey in there too, or at least I imagine it.

Oh, and the chocolate notes linger long after each sip – just the way I like my chocolate….

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Thank you Brenden for the sample of this tea!

You must read Brenden’s discription of this tea no matter what. It’s charming! A genuine love affair with a place he should live forever! I’m convinced that we can all find our own special place that says “THIS IS HOME”! It has nothing whatever to do with money or power. It’s something in the heart.

I’m happy to have found my ‘Home’ for now. I always say ‘for now’ in case God has other plans for me. My heart happiness is portable.

Brenden has decided to create his tea’s without artifical flavors or the low quality tea’s found in far too many blends. Yeah! I’m a great fan of all the Tea Companies that don’t use artificial ingredients and who don’t compromise on quality!

North Winds: The wonderful Fujian Black Tea (which I bought from Whispering Pines already because it’s so Cocoa-luscious) base is cocoa and milky, not a dark chocolate. I didn’t taste cherry, mentioned in the description Brenden wrote,..but instead tasted sweet tea cookie (like animal cracker).
The tea was creamy, buttery with malted caramel, chocolate filled pastry.

Goodness! How on earth do you discribe how good this tea tasted?

Please try it with cream and sweeten. This type of tea is enhanced a great deal by both (brings the cocoa alive and a richness to dessert level).

I’d suggest having North Winds over the holidays with shortbread or sugar cookies with people who love you .

Oh So I lied I will review my Kombucha, it IS after all a Whispering Pines Tea :)
So put some Chaga and Reishi mushroom tea in my North Winds Kombucha this morning and it was pretty good.
I can already taste the malty, cocoa sweetness of the North Winds in my kombucha and the brew itself has the perfect tangy sweet slightly sour bite that i’ve tweaked to my personal taste which is i’d have to say is just slightly a bit more sour than a kombucha that you’d buy at the store, very good imo :)
Now with the added mushroom juice it’s about as tangy as a store bought kombucha with awesome woody, earthy,mushroomy notes that really tastes like something from the forest, something magical even, I love it!! It makes me feel good and happy too.

Mushroom revolution!!! :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Yes Sir! You should try it in the kombucha, it quite nice!
If it don’t take ya to the forest nothing will lol ;)

MzPriss

I need to start some kombucha

MzPriss

OKI’m off to get a bottle of Kombucha. Also, Brenden I need do my chaga. You said 5 grams before but in how much water? 8 qt stock pot?

Your gonna love it :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Realized recently that weight isnt the best way to go by since dryness level varies so much. I’d say about 2 tablespoons per 4qts…how big are your chunks?

Like 1×2″ some 2×2

Whispering Pines Tea Company

okay…you should chop them into 1×1″ cubes and then use 1 cube per quart :) Simmer for an hour. it would be good if you chopped them into 1×1″ cubes, then weighed it out to get an average weight, chop them up smaller and then go by weight instead

Whispering Pines Tea Company

more surface area will give more extraction

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Also, i like to add a teaspoon of elderberries per quart

MzPriss

OK. I just got back with kombucha and my tea is cooling so I will chop chaga

Terri HarpLady

Where’s you get your Chaga, Priss?

After months upon months of sampling and finally choosing the right tea for the job, our newly-redesigned house black tea, North Winds, is now available! Read about the inspiration and new flavor profile below!

Our house black tea for good reason — North Winds is the essence of northern Michigan. Sweet fruity notes of apricot and white grape bring you to Traverse City while heavy dark chocolate notes allow you to have that Mackinac Island fudge desert without having to take the ferry. Notes of toasted rye with cherry preserves show up mid-sip with a beautiful malt and wildflower honey finish. These smooth, decadent notes combine into a medium-bodied tea with a bold and rustic feel that makes for a perfect breakfast tea — but you’ll want to drink this all day long!

Available here: http://whisperingpinestea.com/north-winds.html

would this be the version that was sent out this past month? Or would i have the previous version?

You’ve got the previous version. This just launched 10 minutes ago! :D

I’m so excited about this tea…I’ve been drinking it every day!

doh lol

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hehe, it’s okay…just know that if you like anything about the one you have, you’ll love the new one ;-)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

I didn’t think North Winds could get any better, I’ve always loved it :) i can’t wait to try the new one soon.

TheTeaFairy

Sounds so good!!

This is a very tasty tea. Yesterday I had the best of news from my lawyer in my worker’s comp case. For the last year the insurance company has not paid a single bill while the case was in appeals. Now that I have won the appeal, the insurance company must pay the bills, even if they appeal again. Also, because it was a unanimous decision on my part, their next appeal is not automatic. The board can refuse to hear it. Had the decision been 2 to 1, their appeal would have been automatic.

I get in this tea notes of chocolate, apricot and caramel, to name a few. This is a complex tea with a variety of notes.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 4 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Flavors: Apricot, Caramel, Chocolate

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML
looseTman

Congrat’s on your verdict! That’s certainly excellent news!
Is North Winds medium- or full-bodied? Breakfast or afternoon? How’s the mouth-feel?

boychik

Congrats Allan! looseTman i can drink this tea all day long. so delicious. it not weak and you dont need sugar or chocolate.

mrmopar

Yay Allan. I know that the good new for you makes us all happy.

Oh man, this is so good. I mean, it’s not quite as ridiculously decadent as Golden Orchid (same tea, but with vanilla beans added!), but I can see myself just wanting to drink this every day. Damn it. Just as I am vowing to myself to stick to Canadian companies (why did I have to develop a tea obsession just as the Canadian dollar tanked?? the exchange rate is killing me here) with reasonable shipping costs (y’all have already heard my rant about shipping), I discover that I might not be able to live without this tea. Hrmph. Luckily I can’t even stay mad about it, because I have this warm cup of chocolatey yumminess to soothe me. :)

Flavors: Chocolate

3 min, 0 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Anlina

I keep forgetting about how bad the exchange rate is and then being unpleasantly surprised.

Lindsay

Me too! :(

I miss my Golden Orchid :(

It’s all gone now so the closest thing would be GO’s tea base North Winds, which is tiding me over until my next order. It does the job well enough, though it doesn’t hold up well in a travel flask.

Otherwise, I’m really digging this blend, to the extent where I’ll sometimes even forget about the absence of those glorious vanilla beans for a second.

This is the older version and I can’t wait to try the new one when I can.

boychik

I really really like the new version . Old one was great too but new is just superior

I received this tea as a free sample along with the Ailaoshan tea that I purchased from Whispering Pines and I actually like it better! The chocolate flavor is considerably more pronounced – deeper. Toasted rye, apricot and white pepper flavor notes as listed by WP were all present and accounted for. I also picked up on caramel and a pleasantly sweet carrot taste.
This is a cup that you just don’t want to ever end! North Winds is the newest must have in my tea pantry!

Flavors: Apricot, Caramel, Carrot, Chocolate, Cocoa, Pepper, Rye, Sweet, Toast

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey there! Because the old version of North Winds had a LOT of reviews, and the new version is so significantly different and better, I added the new one as its own tea. If you could copy/paste your review and rating onto the new page, that would be extremely helpful to me. Thanks so much :-)

Here’s the new page: http://steepster.com/teas/whispering-pines-tea-company/55030-north-winds

:-)