Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
December, you are the month of chills. The month of campfires that die from the bitter cold wind. The month of snowfall and of embers and the moments one cannot wish to describe. December, in all your bright white moonlight and soul-stirring knee-high snowdrift steps, I love you. You are the sound of snowflakes falling through the pines. You are hot cocoa, orange peels and cloves with the warmth of the fireplace dancing across my toes. My hot tea reminds me only of the moments I spent last night shivering cold with snowflakes on my beard. How is it that the bite of your night is so painfully addictive as to keep me wanting more? Perhaps I will ponder your eerie charm with another full moon walk with another cup of tea.

This rustic blend is inspired by the month of December and our longing desire to take midnight walks when the snow is lit up by the moonlight. December has a savory, smooth body with notes of dark chocolate and citrus, the perfect amount of smoke and a tiny hint of roastiness in the background.

Notes
Cocoa
Citrus
Malt
Roasty
Pinesmoke
Brisk

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 10 minutes

A blend of black tea from Fujian, China and the Blue Mountains of India

Caffeine Content
High

For more information, visit our website: http://whisperingpinestea.com/december.html

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This has become my go-to tea this month ever since I discovered how much better a 3 minute steep is! Savory, smokey, cocoa and bright citrus notes…I’ve had about 4 cups of this each day for the past week :)

Hopefully the snowy memories that inspired this tea will bring the snow soon!

Happy holidays, everyone!

JustJames

you don’t have snow yet? we’ve had it twice THIS MONTH!! and we don’t get snow ever 80)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

We had snow once in Arizona so far and it lasted about a day. :/

Kaylee

You know, for some reason, I thought you were based in the Pacific Northwest…

JustJames

ditto what kaylee said, lol.

Kaylee

Which actually seems doubly silly since the website tag is “Inspired by the true wilderness of Northern Michigan”. But yeah I thought somewhere with forests because so many of your teas are forest-themed.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:) haha, nope! The business currently resides in northern Arizona, but we’re looking at a move back to my northern Michigan homeland next fall! :D

Thank you Brenden for this sample tea!

I know it isn’t December, and I often have to be ‘in the mood’ for my smokier tea’s. It’s one of those things…

When a big snow storm is coming…or the first brisk winds of Fall followed by a downpour…give me a mug of bold smoky tea and something sweet like dark chocolate to enhance the experience.

That big snow is coming. We’ve been having no snow hardly at all and warm weather. The Continent has been dry one way and a wreck of a Winter the other with Colorado humming along with a dribble of an inch of snow here and there and temperatures up to the 50’s and 60’s. We have a lot of sunshine!

When I say big snow, I mean maybe 8-10 inches which isn’t that much.
(I’ve never seen ice)

So I finally brought out the Whispering Pines December tea that Brenden sent me from its hiding place. Another smoky little tea (I thought).

It smelled like smoke so I assumed it would taste like smoke.

Surprisingly, the taste was cocoa-smoky… smooth and lighter than I had expected. I hadn’t read Brendens review prior to my tasting and didn’t realize he had used the Fujian Black Tea.

As for his comment about the tea being brisk…and citrusy, um I can’t say that I found either. Smooth and borderline floral…with not a hint of smoky harshness.

I have to say this is one of the better smoked tea’s I’ve tasted. There’s a compromise for those who like dark chocolate with a little smokiness to it (but not lapsang souchong).

By the way, I’ve been snooping around and found a video of Brenden

He’s way cool!!! A young slack-line expert! He’s into photography also and loves animals. (No idea why my first take was of someone older…but he’s young. I’m quite impressed!)

Don’t you just love tea people!

Now that it’s no longer December…Brenden needs a new name for this tea.
It’s not a one month wonder.

So I was sipping on “December” just now and I was listening to December by Collective soul, WAS until he sang “turn your head now baby just spit me out” Spit Out December?? No way!!!!!!
So I switched my song to “Once Upon A December” from Anastasia sang by Liz Callaway,
Beautiful song much more fitting for this tea :)
I felt like singing along so I did ;)

Dancing Bears, Painted Wings, Things I almost Remember…
And a Song someone sings, Once Upon a Deceeeeemmmbbbeeerrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Thomas Edward(Toad)

This was the previous version of December BTW, before the update :)

Cameron B.

Figures dancing gracefully across my memory… :D

Thomas Edward(Toad)

far away long ago, glowing dim as an ember…. :)

TheTeaFairy

That really made me smile :-)

Painted Wings, just like a tea fairy! :P

Time for afternoon tea! I had a stomach bug for several days, so now that I’m feeling better I should be back in the swing of things! I missed all youse guys.

This cup is courtesy of the lovely Veronica. Brewed up, the tea is a clear shade of warm amber. I’m catching scents of wet wood, bonfire, dark chocolate, and sea salt as they waft from my cup. There’s some fruit tones there too, but I get “berry” while others have gotten “citrus”.

Each sip starts brisk, with a fruity sweetness that to me is reminiscent of Ashes of Autumn and its “longan fruit” flavor. Is this what longan fruit tastes like? I couldn’t say! It’s still not citrus to me. From brisk and bright it moves into a smooth roastiness with undertones of sweet, fresh wood. There’s some cocoa and some malt at the very end, but the predominant tone is a light honey-sweetness. What is that fruit…it’s not citrus, but reminiscent of citrus. Phooey. I give up. There’s a light, hazy smokiness that persists throughout the cup. It gets sweeter as it cools and it gains a sort of thickness in body. More malt—it coats your tongue. Delicious! I’d love to have a cup of this with an omelette or a plate of crumpets. That’s my fantasy and I’m content to live it in my head for now.

Thanks Veronica!

Flavors: Campfire, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Roasted, Smoke, Smooth, Wet Wood

I decided I wanted to try one of my WP teas, but I chose not to drink Campfire Blend because I wasn’t craving smoke. Well… whoops? Should have gone for Manistee Blend or North Winds.

So this is fairly smoky, with a little bit of sweetness. And cocoa! I’m enjoying it but I’m not going to rate it as it’s not what I was craing. It’d be better as an evening tea.

mj

I did the same thing this morning haha. I opened the package and was like, whoa smoke, welp this is happening

silly you

This tea came as part of the grab bag of awesomeness that I got from Miss B. I was excited to try a Whispering PInes tea since there are so many WP fangirls on Steepster! When I opened up the pouch, omg it smelled like smoke. I’m not really a fan of smoky teas but I thought I’d try it anyway. Taste-wise, the smoke really dominates so this tea is not really for me. Underneath the smoke, I feel like this tea is pleasant and roasty but I can’t really tell because the smoke just lingers and takes over. I have two more WP blends that I’m excited to try though:-)

Flavors: Smoke

Veronica

My daughter isn’t the biggest fan of smokey teas, but she likes the second steeping of this one. It’s much less smokey and more roasty and malty.

mj

I’ll have to try that. Luckily, I saved the leaves. Thanks, Veronica!

boychik

Add some tiny bit of maple syrup.

TheTeaFairy

What are the other two mj?

whatshesaid

this one is on my list to try as well, but the idea of smokey teas makes me really apprehensive and i’ve avoided them entirely thus far!

mj

boychik, I don’t think I own any actual maple syrup? I’ll have to look. But I bet that would complement the smokiness.

TheTeaFairy, the other two I have are Foxfire chai and Breath of Life (if I’m remembering correctly). They were random samples from Miss B.

whatshesaid, I don’t think smoky teas are for me either. That being said, while I didn’t totally enjoy this cup, I thought it was well done and didn’t have any trouble finishing 12oz. So don’t be scared :-)

Terri HarpLady

Smokey teas used to freak me out, but then I tried adding a little maple syrup, & suddenly I was drinking some kind of caramelized flambee like dessert! And suddenly I liked smokey teas better, even without the maple, in fact I don’t use maple in them often.
On the other hand, some smokey teas aren’t actually smoked, at least I don’t think they are. If a smokey tea tastes too much like, “Where’s the BBQ sauce?” then they probably used some kind of smoke flavoring, instead of taking time to do the real deal.

whatshesaid

I will have to try that!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Terri, I had a fake lapsang once and I about spit it across the room. Pretty sure they doused the tea in that disgusting stuff called liquid smoke.

Oh. My. God.

Let me tell you about how I instantly fell in love with this tea. This is my first very smoky tea, and I was a bit “ish” about it when I realized that my cup smelled like beef jerky. BUT, when I took that first sip, I was SO surprised. There are some very obvious cocoa notes that appear just before the smoke, and it just works. The contrast between the flavours is what really makes this stand out, I would most definitely buy this.

I LOVE BEEF JERKY! :D

Virginia

LOL!!!
I LOVE THAT COMMENT

Tea of the morning. This is incredibly cocoa-y today. The cocoa note is nice and dark, and then there is a bright, high citrus note followed by a touch of smoke and some honey-like sweetness at the end of the sip. Mercy all, this is some good tea. I also like that this tea has a lot of body with zero astringency. This is easily one of my favorite teas to begin the day with.

Quick side note, this is the only hot tea that my cat is curious about. Every time I make it she wants to plant her kitty nose in my mug. While I agree with her that this tea smells great it’s odd to me that she only does that with this particular tea. Now iced tea she loves. If we leave a glass of tea on the table we have to cover it so she won’t drink it!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cheri

This cracks me up about the cat.

Veronica

She does an amazing job of driving me crazy and making me laugh at the same time. :)

Cheri

That’s what cats are supposed to do.

Tealizzy

My cat likes to lick the condensation off the side of the glass of iced tea. Silly!

Lariel

Now I want this tea and a cat.

Veronica

@Lariel – Both are wonderful!

i had this one earlier (today! almost caught up!) and it was downright yummy as far as smokey teas go. this is a different sort of smokey tea than the ones i’m used too, with a bit of something else coming out to play with this one. it’s also not a subtle tea (courtney stay away!). it’s smokey, and slightly sweet…with a bit of a punch to it. looking forward to trying it out with maple syrup :)

Forgot that this is a ‘smoky’ tea, all I knew was that it was calling to me today, asking me to drink it. First smell and sip were all smoke, and continued throughout. I only get a touch of something sweeter occasionally, and I guess there’s some cocoa in here, although it’s more smokey, almost bacon-y than anything.

Unsure what I was expecting, however this is very different than my mood today. I think I need to let this sit so I can think about it more, once I’ve finished a few errands.