Chinese Black Tea
Caramel, Chocolate, Malt, Peat, Wood, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Baked Bread, Sweet Potatoes, Molasses, Raisins, Floral, Plums, Tobacco, Butternut Squash, Blackberry, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Herbs, Jam, Fruity, Berries, Grapes, Nuts, Dates
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “Sometimes I wonder if I could really notice all the individual notes unless I had read about them before tasting the tea itself. Can't say I could for this one, but it was still enjoyable. I'm a...” Read full tasting note
    Cathy Zheng 63 tasting notes
  • “Let me start out by saying that I have been a fan of Verdant's black tea's for a long time, and of course my favorite from the teas they offered was the Laoshan Black, but the Laoshan always lacked...” Read full tasting note
    CaseyGuitars 6 tasting notes
  • “First strikes me as woody and a little bit peaty (I'm really in love with Tea: History, Terroirs, Varieties' flavor and aromas chart right now.) It branches out to more malty, almost wet...” Read full tasting note
    rachelsafko 6 tasting notes
  • “I actually saved a bit of this one from MzPriss' Unflavored Teabox a while back. It's very high up there in the Steepster ratings. The dark spooky tree branch leaves have a light sweet chocolate...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1453 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Ailaoshan Black Tea is one of the most breathtaking teas I have had the chance to indulge in. This tea is grown at over 2000 meters above sea level and shrouded in warm mist nearly year-round. It is harvested from tea bushes that have been cultivated on the edge of one of the most diverse subtropical ecosystems in the world — The Ailao Mountains (Ailaoshan) Nature Preserve. This nature preserve is home to at least 550 plant species and 460 animal species, including the black gibbon and bengal tiger.

Harvested in mid-spring of each year, Ailaoshan Black Tea is carefully processed and carries a warm aroma of toasted cocoa and caramelized plum. At first taste, a range of fruit notes can be identified amongst the delicious cocoa and caramel undertones. The most noticible fruit note is that of caramelized plum, followed shortly by a mix of black currant and longan fruit. A savory quality is experienced at mid-sip as well as in the aftertaste, and salted caramel with a hint of roasted fruit lingers on past the last sip. This is a truly memorable cup of tea and will please any connoisseur of rare and extraordinary black teas!

Harvest
March 2014

Notes
Toasted Cocoa
Caramelized Plum
Black Currant
Longan Fruit
Salted Caramel

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves in 8 ounces of boiling water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Can’t say I could for this one, but it was still enjoyable.
I’m a fan of heavier teas and this one was light and smooth but you can definitely taste the quality and care placed into the production of this tea.
To me, it tastes somewhat similar to Teavivre’s Yun Nan Dian Hong Golden Tips and I have to say I enjoyed that one better but will happily finish off my packet of this.

Terri HarpLady

Depending on the day, my sense of taste & smell, & the amount of time I have to linger over each sip, I may or may not be able to identify all of these things. Sometimes I do, & then reading over others’ notes I find that some had a similar experience, while others perceived other elements. Sometimes I recognize a taste or smell, but can’t quite place it, & then reading what others wrote, I find the words. Sometimes I jut want to enjoy a cup, & not worry about all those things, just drink it, & enjoy it, cuz it is good! I love tea! :D

Let me start out by saying that I have been a fan of Verdant’s black tea’s for a long time, and of course my favorite from the teas they offered was the Laoshan Black, but the Laoshan always lacked a certain something to it that I found in this tea! This tea is maltier, more chocolatey, and all around a more flavorful, full bodied tea. The smell of it when you first pour water on it smells delicious and makes my mouth water! I have been enjoying Whispering Pines tea for a couple of weeks now and both of the teas I ordered(Golden Orchid and Ailaoshan Black) are amazing and are very very flavorful.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Malt

First strikes me as woody and a little bit peaty (I’m really in love with Tea: History, Terroirs, Varieties’ flavor and aromas chart right now.) It branches out to more malty, almost wet leaves-type flavors with an elegant finish. A fabulously light but complex fall tea!

Flavors: Malt, Peat, Wood

I actually saved a bit of this one from MzPriss’ Unflavored Teabox a while back. It’s very high up there in the Steepster ratings. The dark spooky tree branch leaves have a light sweet chocolate flavor. To me, it’s like the Laoshan Black type, which I guess is what Chinese black teas are like… so I really should stop comparing them all to Laoshan Black. I’ve had a few of their kind now. This one is too light of flavor for me, but maybe it was my method of steeping. Though I’m growing to love these types of teas more, they aren’t my favorite yet, and that is okay. I can’t love them all!

It’s malty, bready, sweet-potatoish, honeyed, and amazing.
I keep thinking Ailoashan is like Laoshan Black, but this isn’t. They’re both exceellent and quite different. Buy both.

Fjellrev

Wow Cavo, you’re psychic. I am sitting here checking out their website for the first time wondering how similar this is to Laoshan haha. I must be blind but how much do you typically get per pouch, like 50g?

Cameron B.

All of WP’s tea are by the ounce. :)

Fjellrev

Thanks!

Sipdown! I received this tea as a generous sample in my first Whispering Pines order. The description on their website intrigued me, so I was excited to give it a try. I had enough to make two cups, as per the steeping directions. I just wish I had more experience with describing straight black teas… I do find Chinese black teas delicious as a rule, and this one was no exception. I was able to detect the “fruity” notes for the first time, the kind that more experienced tea drinkers describe in certain black teas. It really did remind me of plum, just like the site description says! Similarly, I detected a roasted cocoa note in the scent, and I found a certain savoriness in the taste, which I enjoyed. No real astringency that I noticed, and a smooth yet slightly powdery mouthfeel (though that may have been due to the smaller bits of leaf that fell out of the pouch with my second cup, whoops!).

This tea also resteeped very well. I’m so glad I got to try it! I’m definitely considering purchasing more for my next order.

This tea is good but very malty. I taste a variety of complex notes including malt, burnt sugar, cocoa, and caramel. I am afraid I don’t notice the whole list. It is very good but a little too malty for my taste. By malt I don’t mean chocolate malt.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with boiling water and 3 tsp leaf for 3 min.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cocoa, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

1994 tasting notes

I drank this tea two days ago but am just now getting around to noting that I had it thanks to Steepster’s craziness.

Thanks to Cameron B. for a sample of this tea! I will definitely have to write a better note the next time I have it. For now I will just say that to me this tasted a lot like a Taiwanese black tea. But as far as I can tell this is a mainland tea? It has those fruity notes with a touch of honey. Of course there is that odd fruity character that is present in Taiwanese blacks that isn’t my favorite note, but this was a pretty tasty cup of tea anyway.

This is really really good. I taught my first lesson today for student teaching, a social studies lesson. Went really well overall, and only made a couple very minor mistakes out of nerves. But it meant that in the morning (and this whole week) I am waking up extra early (I leave at 6:40am) to rehearse my lesson and such, and this is perfect to wake me up. It is toasty and a bit fruity and earthy and super yum. I steeped it a second time to take in the car with me.

I’m starting the day with a sipdown from my TeaFairy collection, :)
This is such a rich & nuanced tea, that I don’t know where to begin. It’s sweet, thick, & tangy, heavily, but naturally, perfumed with an oolong like floral quality, sweet potato & apricot. And more.
That’s all I can say, I gotta get out of bed & cook breakfast!

mmmm

TheTeaFairy

Mmmmm, I need my fix of this almost everyday!!

MzPriss

I looooove this

Lariel of Lórien

It was so good, but I don’t have anymore.

mj