Chinese Black Tea
Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cocoa, Malt, Baked Bread, Sweet Potatoes, Molasses, Raisins, Floral, Plums, Tobacco, Butternut Squash, Blackberry, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Herbs, Jam, Wood, Chocolate, Fruity, Berries, Grapes, Nuts, Dates
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “It's malty, bready, sweet-potatoish, honeyed, and amazing. I keep thinking Ailoashan is like Laoshan Black, but this isn't. They're both exceellent and quite different. Buy both.” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “This tea is good but very malty. I taste a variety of complex notes including malt, burnt sugar, cocoa, and caramel. I am afraid I don't notice the whole list. It is very good but a little too...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 160 tasting notes
  • “I drank this tea two days ago but am just now getting around to noting that I had it thanks to Steepster's craziness. Thanks to *Cameron B.* for a sample of this tea! I will definitely have to...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1979 tasting notes
  • “This is really really good. I taught my first lesson today for student teaching, a social studies lesson. Went really well overall, and only made a couple very minor mistakes out of nerves. But it...” Read full tasting note
    Zimaleah501 301 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Ailaoshan Black Tea is one of the most breathtaking teas I have had the chance to indulge in. This tea is grown at over 2000 meters above sea level and shrouded in warm mist nearly year-round. It is harvested from tea bushes that have been cultivated on the edge of one of the most diverse subtropical ecosystems in the world — The Ailao Mountains (Ailaoshan) Nature Preserve. This nature preserve is home to at least 550 plant species and 460 animal species, including the black gibbon and bengal tiger.

Harvested in mid-spring of each year, Ailaoshan Black Tea is carefully processed and carries a warm aroma of toasted cocoa and caramelized plum. At first taste, a range of fruit notes can be identified amongst the delicious cocoa and caramel undertones. The most noticible fruit note is that of caramelized plum, followed shortly by a mix of black currant and longan fruit. A savory quality is experienced at mid-sip as well as in the aftertaste, and salted caramel with a hint of roasted fruit lingers on past the last sip. This is a truly memorable cup of tea and will please any connoisseur of rare and extraordinary black teas!

Harvest
March 2014

Notes
Toasted Cocoa
Caramelized Plum
Black Currant
Longan Fruit
Salted Caramel

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves in 8 ounces of boiling water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

It’s malty, bready, sweet-potatoish, honeyed, and amazing.
I keep thinking Ailoashan is like Laoshan Black, but this isn’t. They’re both exceellent and quite different. Buy both.

Fjellrev

Wow Cavo, you’re psychic. I am sitting here checking out their website for the first time wondering how similar this is to Laoshan haha. I must be blind but how much do you typically get per pouch, like 50g?

Cameron B.

All of WP’s tea are by the ounce. :)

Fjellrev

Thanks!

This tea is good but very malty. I taste a variety of complex notes including malt, burnt sugar, cocoa, and caramel. I am afraid I don’t notice the whole list. It is very good but a little too malty for my taste. By malt I don’t mean chocolate malt.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with boiling water and 3 tsp leaf for 3 min.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cocoa, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

1979 tasting notes

I drank this tea two days ago but am just now getting around to noting that I had it thanks to Steepster’s craziness.

Thanks to Cameron B. for a sample of this tea! I will definitely have to write a better note the next time I have it. For now I will just say that to me this tasted a lot like a Taiwanese black tea. But as far as I can tell this is a mainland tea? It has those fruity notes with a touch of honey. Of course there is that odd fruity character that is present in Taiwanese blacks that isn’t my favorite note, but this was a pretty tasty cup of tea anyway.

This is really really good. I taught my first lesson today for student teaching, a social studies lesson. Went really well overall, and only made a couple very minor mistakes out of nerves. But it meant that in the morning (and this whole week) I am waking up extra early (I leave at 6:40am) to rehearse my lesson and such, and this is perfect to wake me up. It is toasty and a bit fruity and earthy and super yum. I steeped it a second time to take in the car with me.

I’m starting the day with a sipdown from my TeaFairy collection, :)
This is such a rich & nuanced tea, that I don’t know where to begin. It’s sweet, thick, & tangy, heavily, but naturally, perfumed with an oolong like floral quality, sweet potato & apricot. And more.
That’s all I can say, I gotta get out of bed & cook breakfast!

mmmm

TheTeaFairy

Mmmmm, I need my fix of this almost everyday!!

MzPriss

I looooove this

Lariel

It was so good, but I don’t have anymore.

mj

This is still my #1 favorite tea. It’s held that spot for a while now

sweet potatoes and bread and..honey? Thanks for sending this one my way dexter While it’s a lovely tea, I prefer the way the eldergrove blend tastes. This was one that i would have picked up, so i’m happy to be able to cross it off my list, though it IS tasty. Keep up the great work brendan! :)

Wowzers! This tea sure was delicious! This is hands down the best black tea that I’ve had up to this point. It just makes me feel all warm and cozy on the inside. Like many others state about this tea, it reminded me of baked bread and sweet potatoes. A year ago I would have been disconcerted if someone told me that their tea tasted like bread and potatoes. Now I’m like “mmmm bread-tea om nom nom”

I definitely plan on attaining more of the delicious nectars that are Whispering Pine teas!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Sweet Potatoes

TheTeaFairy

Aila is simply addictive, I drink it almost every morning, and I can’t read about it without having to fix myself a cup, so here I go, cheers!

Clint

Haha! Well, I’m glad that I made your day better then! This will definitely be my new morning tea. I can’t wait to drink it on cold winter mornings!! Eeeeee I get excited for such random things…..

Thanks for the sample Marzipan!

Everyone is right, this is very good stuff! Rich, sweet malty and full of cocoa goodness. I feel a Whispering Pines order in the future…my husband is in love with Golden Orchid :)

Marzipan

Good plan, get the hubby hooked.

Cheri

I keep offering mine teas I think he would like while I’m drinking them, or sniffs of teas that I think he’ll like when I get them. Every once in a while now he’ll ask me for some tea.

Stephanie

Mine’s dedicated to his coffee, but enjoys tea on occasion too :)

Sarsonator

I’m glad you have an SO who also likes tea. I enjoy morning tea time with my boyfriend, even if he doesn’t like my pu’erhs. :)

Cameron B sent me so I could try some Whispering Pines teas. After I brewed it, I got a scent of sweet potatoes, and a some baked bread. The flavour made think of raisin bread, except a bit dark, and maybe molasses.

This is very nice blended with the Fujian black tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Molasses, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes

Cameron B.

I’m so glad you like it. :) But then again, all of Whispering Pines’s teas are good, which you will soon learn. I now wish I had brought this one with me on my trip. :P

Lariel of Lórien

I added this to a sampler I ordered. Because… tea reasons.

This is one of those teas that when I have, I want to smack old me on the head. For some reason I used to avoid unflavored black teas like the plague. I guess I assumed all black tea tasted like McDonalds sweet iced tea (which, as much as saying so might get me stoned by the cult following said tea has down here, I can’t stand).
Thankfully, and to my total surprise, straight black teas can actually be good! Especially this tea. I get a great amount of cocoa out of this tea. Cocoa and caramel are the two strongest notes I get. I’ve never had caramelized plum (sounds divine) I can imagine that the dark, tantalizing, fruity undertone that I’m getting here is just that.

Absolutely amazing, this tea is a symbol for everything I was missing when I was shunning black teas.

TheTeaFairy

I love this review Mandy…me and Aila have a very special relationship as you may or may not know :-)
If you like them, try eating fresh cherries with it….divine!!

Mandy

Oh I can’t help but notice all of your favorite little tea babies. You’re definitely one of the reasons I have such a hard time not placing more orders for more tea!

I really need to get some cherries! Seeing you mention them all the time has got me craving some!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Cherries are the best. EVER. :)

Cheri

It is cherry season…..

I have the same relationship with straight blacks, although not because I thought of McD’s sweet tea…but I have avoided them, but I’m working slowly on changing that. Mostly because people write all these amazing tasting notes.

Tea Sipper

Oh my gosh, you need to introduce those McDs iced tea fans to actual tea!!