Silver Moonlight White Tea

White Tea
White Tea
Cinnamon, Hay, Honey, Malt, Peas, Sweet, Cream, Guava, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Peach, Wheat
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “A little malty, very strong hay, somewhat fruity. Interesting. I'm not wasting my time on a thorough note here because with my luck, it won't even post anyway.” Read full tasting note
    cheri0627 442 tasting notes
  • “I had this tea couple of nights ago during a middle-of-the-night gongfu session, which are kind of my favorite. I enjoyed it with a book and some classical music and it was, as *TheTeaFairy* put...” Read full tasting note
    mj1851 268 tasting notes
  • “*MzPriss' Unflavored Tea Box - Tea #12* Another tea with just a little left in the teabox so I steeped another not-full mug. I love these types of white teas. The flavor notes sound DIVINE. The...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1452 tasting notes
  • “In the gaiwan at 170. Quick rinse and a first steep at 1.5 minutes Nice and vegetal but quite mild. Second steep opens up and I'm getting a little of the juiciness with a little stonefruit. ...” Read full tasting note
    mzpriss 137 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Silver Moonlight White tea is a very unique autumn-picked white tea. It is minimally processed to preserve the purity of the leaf as well as a beautiful taste and aroma. First, the large leaves generally used to make pu’er are carefully picked and allowed to become lightly oxidized under the moonlight. The following day, they are brought into a shaded area and warm air is blown over the delicate leaves to dry them. Silver Moonlight has delicious sweet fruity notes generally found in white tea but also malty notes generally found in black tea. Notes of honeydew melon and raw eucalyptus honey take the stage as a velvety sweetness coats your mouth, similar to the fuzz on a peach. Light cinnamon spice and malt play background notes and the aftertaste is that of honey wheat bread with melted cinnamon butter! With a medium body and a strong, lingering aftertaste, this makes a great afternoon tea as well as a tea to sip while on hikes. This tea will develop a much deeper body over time, eventually tasting just like a black tea! Silver Moonlight is great iced, too!

Harvest

Wheat
Butter
Honeysuckle

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 tablespoon of leaves in 8 ounces of boiling water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

A little malty, very strong hay, somewhat fruity. Interesting.

I’m not wasting my time on a thorough note here because with my luck, it won’t even post anyway.

I had this tea couple of nights ago during a middle-of-the-night gongfu session, which are kind of my favorite. I enjoyed it with a book and some classical music and it was, as TheTeaFairy put it, a “perfect tea for a quiet moment”.
The leaves are quite eclectic: light grey-green leaves with quite dark green interspersed, a mix of long and thin with short and flat. The brew is light yellow and smells of very sweet, hay with a hint of mallow. I steeped it 15/15/30/40/60, but as the taste did not change much from steep to steep, I won’t describe each separately.
This tea is just lovely. It’s sweet, like most white teas I enjoy, but a smidge less delicate. The main note is sweet hay with a sugar snap pea highlight. The background is a slight maltiness, which builds with successive steeps. There’s a hint of minerals, which I enjoy, and an airy honey finish with a suggestion of cinnamon. Don’t worry, it’s barely even there and the furthest from offensive that cinnamon can possibly be. Overall, it’s a very enjoyable, uplifting, and relaxing tea.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Hay, Honey, Malt, Peas, Sweet

190 °F / 87 °C 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #12
Another tea with just a little left in the teabox so I steeped another not-full mug. I love these types of white teas. The flavor notes sound DIVINE. The highest quality white tea can become a favorite, even if you don’t think you will like a white tea at all. Just give the best ones a try! Obviously a white tea from Whispering Pines would be delicious. The leaves are different colors, different textures. None of the usual fuzzy nonsense here… somehow this one is super creamy, tiny hints of sweet citrus… it’s almost like a lemon cream cake. Definitely one of my favorite white teas, right next to Verdant’s Bai Mu Dan which also happens to be in this teabox. The second steep was a little disappointing, but I left the leaves for 24 hours a probably steeped it wrong. The flavor just wasn’t nice on that cup. I remember Verdant’s Bai Mu Dan’s second steep was even more flavorful than the first and just creamy lemon…so distinct I remember it months later, so I guess I liked that one more. This one is in a nice metallic pouch, so I don’t think it’s due to road weariness.
Steep #1 // 25 min after boiling // 2 min
Steep #2 // ??

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Probably because you left the leaves for 24 hours ;)

Tea Sipper

I figured, but I sometimes leave leaves (haha) out 24 hours and resteep and I don’t usually taste as much of a difference. Are these leaves just more delicate than others? Also, I was just headed to the Whispering Pines site for research when I saw you commented on my tasting note. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yeah, some leaves release a TON of flavor just between the time it takes to finish the first cup. I’ve actually gotten 5 infusions out of this one, too.

Tea Sipper

Wow, I had no idea! Is this a problem with specific types of tea more than others? White I would imagine shouldn’t be left out the most. Would black tea/pu-erh be okay waiting the next day for second steeps?

Tea Sipper

Oh, and I’m raising the rating on this one. The first cup was higher than an 82.

In the gaiwan at 170. Quick rinse and a first steep at 1.5 minutes Nice and vegetal but quite mild. Second steep opens up and I’m getting a little of the juiciness with a little stonefruit. Third – the aroma is getting gorgeous and ok – I’m starting to get the white tea thing. There is a hint of grapey-ness that I love and lots of juice. The fourth steep is my favorite so far, more juicy fruit.

This is a revelation! Who knew I liked white tea this much? Clearly I need to spend more time with my gaiwan:

But that’s all I have time for this morning. Delicious!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

You gotta bump that water to 190! :)

MzPriss

Yes sir! I will do that next time

Oh, this is such a pretty tea!

From the look, I’m guessing this is a blend of beautiful Silver Needles and fuzzy Bai Mu Dan?
(I stand corrected by the Master himself : «This is not a blended tea at all, It’s a single-origin white dried under the moonlight») Good to know, it makes it even more special :-)

White juice at its best.

White teas often get a bad wrap for not being tasty enough.

Having them Gongfu style will make you change your mind. The tastes just explodes this way, as opposed to a mug brew.

This is so juicy.

Notes of melon and cucumber, some peach, sweet peas, and honey.

Right from the start, you get a buttery thickness and a fresh mouthfeel that intensifies afterwards. At fourth steep, I can’t believe how sweet this is.

The wet leaves smell like hay warmed by the son. I know exactly how that smells like, my Grandpa was a farmer.

It might be delicate, but it’s so tasty. Also, it makes a wonderful cold brew.

I love this tea, and I’m hoping it will still be available by the time I place a new order.

It’s a sunny and happy tea :-)

Dexter

Yay!!! you found another happy tea tonight. “hoping it will still be available…” LOL you will probably order again really soon ;))

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I was just thinking the same Dexter. Do you have straight whites sometimes?

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is not a blended tea at all :) It’s a single-origin white dried under the moonlight :)

TheTeaFairy

Bad me, should have done my homeworks :-) it really looks like needles and white peony mixed together. It’s just beautiful..

Dexter

Straight white – not really. I only have one straight white tea in my house and I normally cold steep it with a little (just a little) fruit tisane. I did like the silver needle gong fu style that we did during my tea class (if that counts at all) – but I don’t really do that at home…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I love it…One of my favorite non-traditional whites for sure! :D

yyz

I love whites gongfu, but my silver needles also tend to hold up to ‘grandpa style brewing’ and one of mine is now my favourite tea to cold brew!

MzPriss

I’m going to have to gong-fuy this. I keep missing the point of whites so apparently I’ve been doing it RONG – I shll make a weekend date with the gaiwan and this and several others

TheTeaFairy

Yyz, I love silver needles, and they are also fabulous cold brewed!

MzPriss, there’s no RONG lol, everyone has its own ways, but if your experience hasn’t been the greatness with them, then it,s worth trying :-)

TheKesser

You make this tea sound absolutely amazing. I’m going to have to pick up some of this.

Sarsonator

This sounds wonderful. I may have to add some to the WP order that I already have planned for August! :)

The Teacret Agents strike again!

TheTeaFairy

TeaKesser, it is absolutely worth trying :-)

Lol, Sarsonantor, where did you possibly learned about the teacret???

Sarsonator

Please read my Ailaoshan review when you get time :p

The teacret is out…

TheTeaFairy

Haha! i have some catching up to do, will do FOR SURE!!!!

(From the Unflavored Traveling Tea Box)

I think this is the first white tea that’s made me do a double take at my mug. It’s so wonderfully summery, full of hay and honeysuckle notes with a hint of apricot right at the end. The tea has a sort of fuzzy feeling to it which I didn’t think I would like, but it works here. This is also a very refreshing tea. I’d love to try it iced. This, iced on a hot summer’s day, would be perfect. I don’t currently have a white tea in my cupboard, but I’ll likely pick up some of this with my next WPT order.

Cheri

I need some more good whites. This is on my list to try.

Veronica

There’s a good bit in the tea box. Hopefully you can try it soon! :)

Cheri

I’m still a ways down on the list, so it could be a while. That’s okay. I’m mostly patient. :)

TheTeaFairy

I always have my white teas in the summer, this one is a keeper, makes an excellent cold brew, so soft and summery.

Veronica

Good to know! I’m always nervous when I cold brew something for the first time because it can bring out bitter notes in some teas. I’ll definitely try cold brewing this one (once I order it).

From the UTTB!

Sipping on this right now. Man, it’s good. First and second steep were very similar, though the second steep is a bit sweeter and creamier. I’m getting a light hay- or wheat-like flavor, followed by honeysuckle and an indescribable fruitiness. It’s a sweet fruit, it’s very light and delicate. Kind of green and juicy and melon-y. (I guess that’s where honeydew comes in.) It’s buttery and medium-bodied. Not too light, but not heavy enough for me to call it malty. (I brewed at a much lower temp and slightly lower time than recommended.) It’s very velvety and smooth. I can pick out notes of peach in the aftertaste, along with cream. I’m into it! Wow, white tea. Who knew this is where my life would take me. (:

Flavors: Cream, Guava, Hay, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Peach, Wheat

boychik

Glad you enjoyed this tea. What’s your parameters? I’m struggling with whites most of the time.

kimquat

It’s hard to say because I use a kettle that’s not clearly marked (and I don’t have a thermometer). It’s the Adagio utiliTEA and the dial has color markers. I usually turn the dial to the lowest end of the green bar. If I had to guess, it’s between 160 and 180 degrees. I brew for two minutes if I don’t have instructions. Sometimes more if the color is too light or the aroma is barely present. For this one specifically I think I brewed for 2.5 minutes.

boychik

Thank you, will try again.

MzPriss

I’m glad you liked it. I put some in the box partially to see how others did with it. I’m not much of a white tea person and I’m the fence with this.

kimquat

A year ago I wouldn’t dream of drinking white tea, much less liking it! My tastes have definitely changed. Thanks for including it in the box!

recent order from Whispering Pines. Leaves are gorgeous long twisted mix of pale green, green and dark,almost black.
my first steep i made according to instructions: 1TBSP 190F 8oz 3min
it produced pale yellow green brew. Very nice,complex flavor. Kinda hard to separate into notes. I’ve noticed that i prefer to drink white tea as it cools. more flavors become noticeable. Also i remember that Lee brews her whites like 165F and long steep. So i decided to try my second steep 165F set my timer for7 min,but had to bring my son to kickboxing class and completely forgot about it. I’d say it was steeping for good 45min. Gorgeous dark golden brew, flavors are delicious. i got some peach, grape, honey, hay, nuts. no trace of bitterness. i love it this way. it kinda reminded me Oriental Beauty. From now on this is how i’m going to treat my whites. Thank you Lee !

165 °F / 73 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

Now it’s your turn to inspire me to drink a tea…I have some of this as well! Maybe later tonight or tomorrow, sounds wonderful!

boychik

Not tonight. It has some caffeine. I was almost asleep then after 2 cups I’m like wide awake

Lol cool :) UR welcome

TheTeaFairy

Boychik, the good part about being an insomniac is that it doesn’t make any difference whether I have caffeine or not, I don’t sleep anyways!

Lee, I will also try your method, sounds too good not to ;-)

Lee

Yes I baby white teas. But I do 185 on white peony usually for 3",,,just depends on the tea I have I guess.

boychik

Ok Lee, now you have to make a chart for us which temp for which type of white. I’m real dummy when it comes to white tea.

Lee

Lol I like them bc if you can burn your mouth,,,you burned the tea. I like green tea too bc of that. But that’s just my own rule,,,I’m no expert for sure.

I love this white tea so much! I’ve been trying not to drink it too often because I can’t afford to buy too much tea these days :(

I got some Whispering pines tea for my father for Father’s day. My parents don’t live near by anymore, so I don’t get to be there when he tries them. so sad!

Other sad news is that it looks like I might have to move to Boulder, CO without my pets and husband temporarily. We are trying to sell our current house and can’t make an offer on a new one until this one is under contract at least. I need to be in Boulder or somewhere not too far from there by Aug. 18th. I really don’t want to have to go by myself. I need some super good luck with the house sale and purchase!

TeaBrat

Good luck!

Kaylee

Aw, good luck!

Shelley_Lorraine

thanks guys!!

TheTeaFairy

Good luck Shelley…it’s so hard having to separate from loved ones, even if it’s temporarily. Keep us informed :-)

greenteafairy

Good luck with everything! I hope you’re able to sell your house very soon.

And one more top-secret release for Steepster people only :)

About the Tea

Wheat
Butter
Honeysuckle

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 tablespoon of leaves in 8 ounces of boiling water for 3 minutes.
2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

TheTeaFairy

Oh, I will become a client of yours very shortly mister! Must check your shipping fee to Canada though (assuming you do ship to Canada?)

whatshesaid

Sounds yummy! Ditto the above :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey there! Yes, we do ship to Canada! Our rates are below :)

$0-$75: $12.50
$75+ : Free!

TheTeaFairy

Thank you so much, will start looking :-)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

No worries! I’m following you now, so if you have any questions at all, please message me!

Awesome, thanks!

MzPriss

Well dadgummit – I would have added a little of this to my order if I had read this before