Baked Bread, Cocoa, Malt, Wet Earth, Creamy, Earth, Grain, Raisins, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Pine, Smoke, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “mmmmm thanks for sharing this one with me terri. I really enjoyed this one from WP. It's a different sort of keemun than the ones i generally prefer..less malty, more chocolatey. this will be...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4939 tasting notes
  • “Oh look! Steepster is behaving :-) Let's post a review!! This was one of very few teas I hadn't tried yet from WP. I was curious, cause although Keemun are sometimes not my favourite teas to...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 402 tasting notes
  • “Thank you TeaTiff for sending some of this one! This tea basically inspired a swap. :D Well, the first cup of this was the last tea brewed by my old kettle, the second steep I had to heat the...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1381 tasting notes
  • “Thanks *Cameron B* for the sample. The wet leaf of this smells similar to the smell I get from puerhs (pond water, but I'm starting to think that what I think of as pond water, y'all call wet...” Read full tasting note
    Mandyyyy 247 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Pine Peak Keemun is an excellent, high grade organic keemun with beautiful notes of pine and cocoa! The smoothness of this golden-tipped tea is brought together with a lightly floral aroma and a long-lasting marshmallow-sweet aftertaste! A great, lighter everyday tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

mmmmm thanks for sharing this one with me terri. I really enjoyed this one from WP. It’s a different sort of keemun than the ones i generally prefer..less malty, more chocolatey. this will be picked up :)

Cameron B.

I love and miss this tea! :P

it’s nice because it’s different from other keemuns

Cavocorax

Interesting! I’m a fan of ‘more choclatey’. :P

I ordered some Cavo – i’ll share when it gets here. you have a box to pick up at my place anyways

cameron – BUY MOOOAAR! lol

Oh look! Steepster is behaving :-)

Let’s post a review!!

This was one of very few teas I hadn’t tried yet from WP.

I was curious, cause although Keemun are sometimes not my favourite teas to drink when too heavy on the smoke, the taste profile of Pine Peak seemed very different.

Well I agree: definitely not your usual full bodied keemun.

It’s much lighter, and I had to steep longer (for my tastes) and add a bit more leaves to achieve a satisfying cup. Once I did that, it was super tasty.

No trace of smoke or strong earthy notes here.

This is the fruit and grain keemun type. I get raisins and barley mostly. It is sweet and a little malty.

There is some kind of light pine taste to it, a little woodsy especially as it cools down.

I see myself drinking this on a regular basis, as a very nice everyday cup.

It’s raining this afternoon, took out my happy ladybug teapot, girly tea time!

“Peak” of the session:

mj

Steepster isn’t behaving anymore :(. I had to fish for this review by going to the “discover” tab

Cameron B.

Wow, I didn’t know that you hadn’t tried this. I love this one, possibly the most of any of their teas! Unsung hero. ;)

TheTeaFairy

Oh! But steepster IS back again!! Thanks for “fishing” me out though mj :-)

Cameron, I agree, it is kind of an unsung hero ;-)

Ubacat

That teapot is adorable!

boychik

Love this tea. I double recommended amount of leaves.
Teapot is adorable !

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is my comfort tea :-)

Lariel of Lórien

Is sounds so good.

It is Lariel

Thank you TeaTiff for sending some of this one! This tea basically inspired a swap. :D Well, the first cup of this was the last tea brewed by my old kettle, the second steep I had to heat the water with the microwave. Ick. Though I don’t have much money right now, I can’t go without my tea and I already knew which kettle I was buying possibly even years before this one broke. I’m getting a Bodum Bistro 34 ounce electric kettle. Hopefully this one works as long as the other one did!

On to the tea… I’m not sure if maybe the kettle died halfway through boiling because the first steep was pretty light. I used a teaspoon and a half and I DID wait eight minutes for the water to cool… maybe it was my fault. Though the flavor that was there is everything that I think a keemun is. Still so so light! With the second steep, I made sure to use boiled (microwave) water and I also added the teaspoon or so left of my sample to the leaves. It seemed like a ton of leaves but after a six minute steep, the flavor is great. It reminds me of an older harvest of Teavivre’s Premium Hao Ya which I thought of as my favorite keemun…. I just worry about the amount of leaves that must be used to get to that flavor. But I was actually surprised that there wasn’t an oversteeped flavor with six minutes. I think it is what the first steep should have been. Again, could have been the last death throes of my kettle. I certainly won’t be drinking my favorite or highest quality teas when I don’t know what I’m doing with this microwaved water! Sipdowns of some not-favorites will be happening! Hurry up and get here tea kettle!
Steep #1 // 8 min after boiling // 4 min steep (1 1/2 tsp of leaves)
Steep #2 // just boiled // 6 min (1 more tsp added)

Wow! You liked this less than our Golden Sunrise? :O

Tea Sipper

Hmm.. I had to reread the tasting note for the Sunrise. Six months ago already! I guess I rated lower on how many teaspoons I needed to use to get the flavor of the second cup (among other factors) but again, my kettle could have very well died before getting to full boiling for the first steep or I waited too long for the water to cool (eight minutes). I don’t have any more leaves to retry!

Tea Sipper

Oh and I waited 8 min because the WP site didn’t say what the temp should be.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Woahh, it doesn’t say? o.O oh no! Will go check that out right now. I usually go 205ºF on this one and 1/2tbsp gives me a nice balance cup. A lot of people have been using a tablespoon though.

I prefer 1 TBSP

Thanks Cameron B for the sample. The wet leaf of this smells similar to the smell I get from puerhs (pond water, but I’m starting to think that what I think of as pond water, y’all call wet earth, and I can accept that). There’s also a cocoa note hidden in there.

I’m almost positive that this is my first Keemun. I’m very happy to report that I didn’t detect any smoke. I did sweeten it so that might have contributed to it, but either way I’m not a smoke fan so I’m glad I don’t taste any. What I get is chocolate and bread and malt. I just can’t get over how much I like black teas. I thought I hated them, but I was so wrong. Never judge a book by its cover, and never judge a tea genre on its cheap bagged tea dust. I don’t know if it’s just because black teas are still “new” to me, but I think they’re becoming my favorite tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Malt, Wet Earth

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Pond water is just naturally brewed earth tea :)

Cameron B.

I don’t get any smoke from this one either! Mostly lovely dark bread and raisiny notes. Delicious! :D

So this is the second sample I got from Whispering Pines. The last one I had I kinda messed up on the measure so I figured I’d actually measure 1 1/2 tsp (1/2 tbsp) out so then I can have two regular mugs. Well, unfortunately the sample I got had barely 2 tsp in it so I just ended up making the whole sample again anyway. /sigh/ Oh well.
Taste wise I get fruity and kinda smoky, which is very nice. I also get a edge of bitterness which is probly from me using 2 ish tsp for my 12oz mug, but who knows.
I definitely like it better after adding a bit of truvia which tones down the bitterness.
In the end I might order some of this one day or if it’s on sale and I’m putting in an order anyway, but I don’t really feel the need to place an immediate order and hoard all. XD

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:/ Ugh…I’m going to need to test my measuring spoon. I’ve even been over-scooping all samples for the past month.

Shadowfall

Lol. Maybe do by weight instead? Though I could see that being problematic too.
The sample of North Winds I got was 3 tsp, though I don’t know about the Golden Orchid sample I got….I should probly go measure that now. Lol.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yeah, going by weight wouldn’t work for many people :/

It’s possible that the leaves were broken on the way, which would explain the bitterness as well!

OK, first off, I don’t recommend spearmint first thing in the morning if you are planning to sample something new afterwards, LOL. Here I am an hour later, & my mouth is still minty fresh, which feels good, but interfered somewhat with the tasting of this tea.

Also, I followed the instructions on the packet, using 1/2 TB, & I really wish I’d just gone with a whole TB, cuz I do tend to like my teas on the strong end of the spectrum, but I want to send the other half to my tea sister Sil, & I’m trying to get better at following instructions in general.

Anyhoo, this is a tasty cup of pre-breakfast tea, though not particularly bold. Very light on the smoke, IMO, with bread notes, & milk chocolate made with that condensed canned milk. It’s nicely sweet, & I’ll have to get an oz so that I can give it a more fair review eventually.

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I’m really bad at following instructions…not only with tea, but with life in general it seems :-)

boychik

I felt the same, 1/2 tbsp is not enough for me.

MzPriss
  • raises hand * I’m a heaper and steeper – I use more and go longer on most everything. I do try to mind the first time though.
Terri HarpLady

And here I am, hours later, & my lips & tongue are still feeling the spearmint…LOL

Hooray, my new electric kettle came in the mail today! I could not have been more excited. I filled it up, boiled the water, then dumped it out twice just to make sure there was nothing weird inside. And then I selected this tea to try because I was curious about its contribution to the S’mores that I tasted yesterday. The leaves are very long and thin, twisty and jet black. Very dramatic! The dry smell is somewhat malty, somewhat fruity, and a little musty with some honey notes. Brewed according to package directions! :)

The aroma is not what I expected for a Keemun. For some reason I was under the impression the Keemuns are smoky and earthy. Apparently not all of them! It smells of sweet, syrupy raisins with a hint of spice, along with lovely malty bread notes with brown sugar. It’s like cinnamon raisin bread tea! :P On to the taste! The raisin is definitely here as well, and I think I pick up a touch of spice (cinnamon?). There’s a lovely light grain or bread flavor that segues perfectly into a lovely creaminess near the end of the sip. Somewhere in the middle is a nice earthy cocoa note that lends depth and richness to the overall taste.

This tea is not at all what I expected! Much lighter in color and texture than I thought it would be, and the flavor is not heavy at all. I can definitely see this being the graham cracker in the S’mores blend, with some help from the added cinnamon and marshmallow root. And it’s very delicious on its own too!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Creamy, Earth, Grain, Raisins

MzPriss

I get raisiny from a lot Keemuns

The leaves of this tea are long, dark, and twisty and when I see leaves like that I can’t help but think spider legs. And it’s all TheTeaFairy’s fault. Luckily, I’m a spider sympathizer, so it doesn’t bother me :-). Like, maybe spiders are just misunderstood. There’s even a meme about it (warning: contains spider pictures)

Anyway, this tea lives up to the level of excellence I’ve come to expect from Whispering Pines. It starts out a little earthy, which then gives way to a fresh floral quality. My favorite part though, is the end of the sip which just tastes unbelievably refreshing and pure, like I just drank out of a crystal clear stream. Is this what pine tastes like? If so, more of that please! Also, thanks to boychik for recommending that I use a full tbsp of leaf. It turned out great that way!

Flavors: Floral, Wet Earth

boychik

Glad it turned out great! I tried 1/2 tbsp and then second time I used scale which was equal to full tbsp. (liked it more 2nd time)

TheTeaFairy

Hahah! The meme is so hilarious and so true!!!

Oh well…maybe I am to blame a little :-O

Glad the tea is good, I have some on the way, never actually tried that one yet!!

boychik

Spiders actually help me with mealy bugs or scales on my house plants. I never kill them, but my girls scream every time they see them

Nicole

That picture on WP’s scrolling header of up close Dian Hong leaves reminded me so much of spider legs that I had to click away quickly to the tea selection page! Too creepy. I know they are helpful but when in my house, they need to go away.

mj

I came across this today and it seemed relevant to all the spider talk on Steepster lately:
I must say though, I have serious issues with the section regarding fear of spiders in twins and their conclusion that it is inherited. Obviously, twins share the same childhood environment and many of the same experiences. Based on how this was written, they did not consider that when drawing the conclusion that fear of spiders has a genetic component. Ok, science rant over. It’s still interesting though.

TeaTiff inspired me to try this tea. It’s perfect for a hot muggy morning. I cannot start my day with iced tea. It should be hot and black.
Steeped according to WP parameters 1/2 tbsp 200F 8 oz 3min
Resteep was equally good at 5 min
This tea is beautiful amber color. It is light bodied, sweet like faint honey, some pine notes which are also light. It is not smokey at all for me. I wouldn’t mind some smoke but I know many ppl hate smoky teas. So no fear. I also detected some florals but again not like floral oolongs. Everything is delicate , nice and smooth.
I have to admit Im not Keemun expert, just had a couple besides blends so I won’t rate it.
But Im happy that I picked an oz and once I run out of it I will restock.

Cheri

You make this tea sound delicious. I think it’s one I would like to try, but probably I wouldn’t drink it often enough to order it. Hmmm…I should look if I can get this in the sample size……

mj

You can! I just ordered this one in a sample pack. WP teas has a sample pack of three teas for $5. Totally worth it

Cheri

That’s how I started my addiction to WP teas.

mj

Um yeah. I have already ordered a sample pack once before. So, in addition to the second sample pack, I also bought some Golden Orchid and Ailaoshan Black

TheTeaFairy

Yep, this one will make it to my next order..

Mine too

Wow, is this what all Keenums taste like? This is really really good. I almost placed my order yesterday thinking that eh, the Keenum sample I got wouldn’t prove order worthy. Boy was I wrong. This was really good. Did I say that already? For me it was a bready sweet taste. There wasn’t a smoke taste like I was expecting. This had me wanting to drink the entire sample pack in one sitting. On the order it goes, and I thought I could weed it down… doh! For those more seasoned keenum drinkers who have had THIS tea, how does it compare? Have I been missing out on another really good type of tea?

MzPriss

Tiff – resistance to WP is futile. And dang! Why haven’t I tried this?

looseTman

“Have I been missing out on another really good type of tea?”
I’m a very big Keemun fan! My most recent Keemun stash order was for 1 kg and it only lasted about 6 months!

TeaTiff

looseTman – What is your description of the defining taste of a keenum?

TeaTiff

1 kg, that is a lot of keenum!

TeaTiff

MzPriss – order is in progress…..

MzPriss

I’m a huge Keemun fan as well. looseTman – what kind was it that you bought so much of?

Order placed.

looseTman

“Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile.”

MzPriss

Tiff – I wish I had ordered some of this now. But I did a huge one and it’s on it’s way. I’m drinking some North Winds now.

TeaTiff & MzPriss: steepster.com/looseTman/posts/166936

mj

@MzPriss: I ordered a sample of this with my order that should arrive on Saturday. I’d be happy to split the sample with you if you’d like to try it.

MzPriss

Oh mj that is so very sweet! I think I probably need a little sample order from WP anyway. But I appreciate the offer very very much.

@looseTman thanks I will check it out

donkeytiara

TeaTiff, you should explore Keemuns. There are some lower grade ones that smell like someone just hit you in the face with a dirt clod, and then are are extraordinarily delicate keemuns that speak of old and sacred places in their complexity. I have reviewed quite a few if you peruse my tealog…. they are one of my favorite teas.

Cheri

I just was saying that I think I need to try this one. I’m not a huge black tea fan, but everyone’s amazing reviews just make me want to taste it. I’ll probably get another sampler pack from WP at some point, and this one will be in it.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Keemun is my comfort tea :)

TheTeaFairy

Lol, teaTiff, now that I’ve read this review, I’m thinking exactly what MzPriss said: Why have I overlooked this one? Not a big deal though, was just thinking about what was going to be my next big reason to place another order. Now I know :-)

TeaTiff

MizPriss if you are not able to secure a sample I can send a long some since this did get included in the order.

looseTman – I actually own a bit of this tea. I had forgotten about it as at the time Keenum wasn’t on my radar. I am going to go back and revisit this one along side the WP.

donkeytiara – I started looking through your log and I had to stop:) They are all sounding so good!

TeaTiff

Cheri – I would actually be interested in learning which black teas you have enjoyed? I have seen from your log that you are mostly oolong and white.

WP – I am very impressed by all the teas I have tried and look forward to the order arriving. This one was a very comforting tea, nothing too fancy that I felt like I had to devote a ton of time, just yummy and relaxing.

TTF – So which teas from WP have you not had yet?

MzPriss

I have a passionate love for good Keemun. But there is plenty of lesser Keemun out there and I’m having to wade through it to get to the good ones. I really like one from The Steeping Room. I have a bunch of samples I need to try.

Cheri

TeaTiff – Yes, you’re right, mostly oolongs, whites and greens. Not a lot of blacks, and those I’ve had are flavored for the most part. I’d like to find blacks I like, but I haven’t yet found anything that really stands out.

looseTman

TeaTiff, I look forward to your comparison especially since I’ve not yet had the pleasure of WP’s Pine Peak Keemun.