Cocoa, Raisins, Rye, Yeast, Honey, Malt, Plums, Baked Bread, Wet Earth, Creamy, Earth, Grain, Floral, Fruity, Pine, Smoke, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “-This is the tea that I'm currently drinking, so I'm definitely posting out of order right now. But, I feel like I'm making some very good observations right now with this blend so I think it's...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2379 tasting notes
  • “My first experience with Keemun wasn't a great one; I found it bitter and kind of smoky, and I've more or less avoided them ever since. I received this as a sample with my last Whispering Pines...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1116 tasting notes
  • “I have been a little askeered to try this tea. I have read in tons of other reviews about the smoke in keemuns. I didn't smell any smoke in this, though. It just smelled malty and tasty. I could...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 595 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning. This is an unusual Keemun. It's light and fruity with underlying honey notes. There might be a little chocolate, but the plum, raisin, and dried date notes are at the forefront....” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 1002 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Pine Peak Keemun is an excellent, high grade organic keemun with beautiful notes of pine and cocoa! The smoothness of this golden-tipped tea is brought together with a lightly floral aroma and a long-lasting marshmallow-sweet aftertaste! A great, lighter everyday tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This is the tea that I’m currently drinking, so I’m definitely posting out of order right now. But, I feel like I’m making some very good observations right now with this blend so I think it’s important I write my note now and not later when I’ve forgotten them!

Firstly; let me just start by saying that I think this is a perfectly good tea and I can see why a lot of people love it. I just think that, for a couple reasons, it might not be a perfectly good tea for me!

Sipping on it, the first thing I noticed was a very lovely and rich cocoa flavour. This aspect of the tea I’m greatly enjoying! However, this quickly transitioned into some really, really intense raisin-y notes. I am not a fan of raisins and I am perhaps maybe a little harsher/more critical of teas with raisin flavours in them because of this. However, ultimately it’s not the raisin I’m picking up in this blend that’s overall leaving me feeling a little out of step with the tea.

The more I sip on this the more I’m observing a sharp tangy or sour fruit note and a very powerful yeasty bread flavour that is increasingly reminding me of rye bread. I do like rye bread; there’s a pleasant sourness to it that I find appealing, and it’s interesting that this tea is conveying that – but overall with the flavour there’s a very displaced and disjointed feeling to those notes and it’s hard to feel at ease sipping on this one.

Perhaps it’s a little bit of an acquired taste/flavour? I have more of this so I will certainly be playing around with how to prepare this one to see if I can produce a better cup.

But again, reiterating that there’s nothing wrong with the tea itself; it’s just simply not to my own tastes! I still understand why it’s popular and can appreciate the interesting notes that are present.

Flavors: Cocoa, Raisins, Rye, Yeast

Ubacat

I’m not a fan of raisins either!

My first experience with Keemun wasn’t a great one; I found it bitter and kind of smoky, and I’ve more or less avoided them ever since. I received this as a sample with my last Whispering Pines order, though, and based on the success I’ve had with their teas recently, I felt encouraged to give it a try. I followed the recommended parameters and used 1/2 tbsp of leaf, in water just cooled from boiling (about 200 degrees), for three minutes. No additions. The resulting liquor is medium brown, and smells of malt and chocolate.

Upon tasting, I’m instantly reminded of some of the Taiwanese black teas I’ve tried. This shares the same fruitiness, and has the undisputedly delicious bread and chocolate notes that I really enjoy in plain black teas.The initial flavour is chocolate, and while it has a creaminess and a lightness of flavour that put me in mind of milk chocolate, it also has a slight cocoa-like dryness that reminds me of a high quality dark chocolate. After the chocolate comes the distinctive taste of bread; rye like and a little yeasty.

For all the rich-sounding flavours, I’m actually finding this quite a refreshing, clean-tasting tea. There’s a hint of something almost eucalyptus-like right at the end of the sip which leaves a fresh coolness on the palate. I can definitely see why it’s called Pine Peak!

After tasting this one, what I’d really like it to breathe some mountain air. As that’s not possible, I’m going to settle for trying a few more keemuns. Hopefully some of them are as good as this one!

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

this one is really different than a lot of keemuns that i’ve tried. Sounds liek your first experience was with the smokey variety…

I have been a little askeered to try this tea. I have read in tons of other reviews about the smoke in keemuns. I didn’t smell any smoke in this, though. It just smelled malty and tasty. I could smell a light pine but didn’t taste it at all, which was fine with me. Tree flavor was another I wasn’t sure I wanted to try. :) But this was lightly fruity with some mild sweet maltiness. This is pretty good. Thanks, Veronica!

this isn’t a smokey keemun. it’s just “different” haha

Tea of the morning. This is an unusual Keemun. It’s light and fruity with underlying honey notes. There might be a little chocolate, but the plum, raisin, and dried date notes are at the forefront. I pick up the pine – very light and clean – in the smell, but I don’t taste it. There’s no smoke even at the end of the sip. Overall, I like this a lot. For me, this is an afternoon tea. I think the lighter body and soft sweetness of the tea will be wonderful as an afternoon pick-me-up.

2042 tasting notes

Thanks once again to Cameron B. for this sample! I’m not huge on Keemuns mostly because of the kind of smoky note that they can have with them; I am very sensative to smoky notes. However, I requested this one because I wanted to try it out anyway, and it’s been a while since I’ve had a keemun.

This definitely has no smoky notes that I can detect. So yay! It is incredibly fruity, way fruitier than I was expecting. Plums for sure, and raisins. Definitely some underlying grains and malt, and a little honey. Chocolate? No, not really. Just a very fruity black tea. I’m not the biggest fan of those fruity notes in my black teas, but it is still a tasty cup. Very smooth, no bitterness or astringency. If you enjoy the fruitiness of some Taiwanese black teas I definitely recommend trying this one.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Plums, Raisins

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cameron B.

Love this one! Probably my favorite Keemun so far (it’s close between this one and the Mao Feng from TeaVivre).

mmmmm thanks for sharing this one with me terri. I really enjoyed this one from WP. It’s a different sort of keemun than the ones i generally prefer..less malty, more chocolatey. this will be picked up :)

Cameron B.

I love and miss this tea! :P

it’s nice because it’s different from other keemuns

Interesting! I’m a fan of ‘more choclatey’. :P

I ordered some Cavo – i’ll share when it gets here. you have a box to pick up at my place anyways

cameron – BUY MOOOAAR! lol

I do? From the terri-tea-pocalypse? :O
Thank you! I really need to start ordering again so that I have SOMETHING to send in return!

some from terri, some just from my cupboard…i dunno…stuff. it’s been a few months :P

Cavocorax

Well, I shouldn’t be surprised. :P You’re the most generous of tea-frens!

Oh look! Steepster is behaving :-)

Let’s post a review!!

This was one of very few teas I hadn’t tried yet from WP.

I was curious, cause although Keemun are sometimes not my favourite teas to drink when too heavy on the smoke, the taste profile of Pine Peak seemed very different.

Well I agree: definitely not your usual full bodied keemun.

It’s much lighter, and I had to steep longer (for my tastes) and add a bit more leaves to achieve a satisfying cup. Once I did that, it was super tasty.

No trace of smoke or strong earthy notes here.

This is the fruit and grain keemun type. I get raisins and barley mostly. It is sweet and a little malty.

There is some kind of light pine taste to it, a little woodsy especially as it cools down.

I see myself drinking this on a regular basis, as a very nice everyday cup.

It’s raining this afternoon, took out my happy ladybug teapot, girly tea time!

“Peak” of the session:

mj

Steepster isn’t behaving anymore :(. I had to fish for this review by going to the “discover” tab

Cameron B.

Wow, I didn’t know that you hadn’t tried this. I love this one, possibly the most of any of their teas! Unsung hero. ;)

TheTeaFairy

Oh! But steepster IS back again!! Thanks for “fishing” me out though mj :-)

Cameron, I agree, it is kind of an unsung hero ;-)

Ubacat

That teapot is adorable!

boychik

Love this tea. I double recommended amount of leaves.
Teapot is adorable !

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This is my comfort tea :-)

Lariel of Lórien

Is sounds so good.

TheTeaFairy

It is Lariel

Thank you TeaTiff for sending some of this one! This tea basically inspired a swap. :D Well, the first cup of this was the last tea brewed by my old kettle, the second steep I had to heat the water with the microwave. Ick. Though I don’t have much money right now, I can’t go without my tea and I already knew which kettle I was buying possibly even years before this one broke. I’m getting a Bodum Bistro 34 ounce electric kettle. Hopefully this one works as long as the other one did!

On to the tea… I’m not sure if maybe the kettle died halfway through boiling because the first steep was pretty light. I used a teaspoon and a half and I DID wait eight minutes for the water to cool… maybe it was my fault. Though the flavor that was there is everything that I think a keemun is. Still so so light! With the second steep, I made sure to use boiled (microwave) water and I also added the teaspoon or so left of my sample to the leaves. It seemed like a ton of leaves but after a six minute steep, the flavor is great. It reminds me of an older harvest of Teavivre’s Premium Hao Ya which I thought of as my favorite keemun…. I just worry about the amount of leaves that must be used to get to that flavor. But I was actually surprised that there wasn’t an oversteeped flavor with six minutes. I think it is what the first steep should have been. Again, could have been the last death throes of my kettle. I certainly won’t be drinking my favorite or highest quality teas when I don’t know what I’m doing with this microwaved water! Sipdowns of some not-favorites will be happening! Hurry up and get here tea kettle!
Steep #1 // 8 min after boiling // 4 min steep (1 1/2 tsp of leaves)
Steep #2 // just boiled // 6 min (1 more tsp added)

Wow! You liked this less than our Golden Sunrise? :O

Tea Sipper

Hmm.. I had to reread the tasting note for the Sunrise. Six months ago already! I guess I rated lower on how many teaspoons I needed to use to get the flavor of the second cup (among other factors) but again, my kettle could have very well died before getting to full boiling for the first steep or I waited too long for the water to cool (eight minutes). I don’t have any more leaves to retry!

Tea Sipper

Oh and I waited 8 min because the WP site didn’t say what the temp should be.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Woahh, it doesn’t say? o.O oh no! Will go check that out right now. I usually go 205ºF on this one and 1/2tbsp gives me a nice balance cup. A lot of people have been using a tablespoon though.

boychik

I prefer 1 TBSP

Thanks Cameron B for the sample. The wet leaf of this smells similar to the smell I get from puerhs (pond water, but I’m starting to think that what I think of as pond water, y’all call wet earth, and I can accept that). There’s also a cocoa note hidden in there.

I’m almost positive that this is my first Keemun. I’m very happy to report that I didn’t detect any smoke. I did sweeten it so that might have contributed to it, but either way I’m not a smoke fan so I’m glad I don’t taste any. What I get is chocolate and bread and malt. I just can’t get over how much I like black teas. I thought I hated them, but I was so wrong. Never judge a book by its cover, and never judge a tea genre on its cheap bagged tea dust. I don’t know if it’s just because black teas are still “new” to me, but I think they’re becoming my favorite tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Malt, Wet Earth

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Pond water is just naturally brewed earth tea :)

Cameron B.

I don’t get any smoke from this one either! Mostly lovely dark bread and raisiny notes. Delicious! :D

So this is the second sample I got from Whispering Pines. The last one I had I kinda messed up on the measure so I figured I’d actually measure 1 1/2 tsp (1/2 tbsp) out so then I can have two regular mugs. Well, unfortunately the sample I got had barely 2 tsp in it so I just ended up making the whole sample again anyway. /sigh/ Oh well.
Taste wise I get fruity and kinda smoky, which is very nice. I also get a edge of bitterness which is probly from me using 2 ish tsp for my 12oz mug, but who knows.
I definitely like it better after adding a bit of truvia which tones down the bitterness.
In the end I might order some of this one day or if it’s on sale and I’m putting in an order anyway, but I don’t really feel the need to place an immediate order and hoard all. XD

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:/ Ugh…I’m going to need to test my measuring spoon. I’ve even been over-scooping all samples for the past month.

Shadowfall

Lol. Maybe do by weight instead? Though I could see that being problematic too.
The sample of North Winds I got was 3 tsp, though I don’t know about the Golden Orchid sample I got….I should probly go measure that now. Lol.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yeah, going by weight wouldn’t work for many people :/

It’s possible that the leaves were broken on the way, which would explain the bitterness as well!