Black Herbal Blend
Lemongrass, Marshmallow, Mint, Toasty, Berry, Graham Cracker, Honey, Smoke, Smooth, Wood
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “I thought this would be good out camping during a full moon, so I'm of course having it on a sunny day at home. It smells so herbal... there is mint, and lemongrass. There is something else that...” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 408 tasting notes
  • “*Pass the Stash TTB 2* This is an interesting one. I don't think I've had a minty black tea before. I like the mix of the keemun smokiness with the brightness of the mint. It's ingredients...” Read full tasting note
    megannorm 76 tasting notes
  • “Interesting Keemun combination here. Mint is in the spotlight here from the start, and it leaves a fresh mouth feeling to finish. A bit of lemon/honey is present, though more subtle than the mint....” Read full tasting note
    zackseufert 15 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Marzipan* again for the sample! WHOA smokey minty tea, eh? Interesting...not really getting any berry. That's ok though. Not sure this is a tea I would ever crave (I'm picky and weird...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 912 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Manistee river is a river running 190 miles through the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. This beautifully peaceful river is home to very abundant wildlife and is a sanctuary for an endangered bird, the Kirtlands Warbler. A river fringed with flora and fauna — not much can give a person a deeper feeling of freedom. This beautiful wilderness is so pure that the river otters swim alongside your canoe. In the spring of 2008, I was on a canoe trip down the Manistee River. It was getting late and the sun was setting. I could catch the scent of a pine and cedarwood campfire upstream and was picking blackberries from the edge of the river. I turned the corner and the river was suddenly perfectly straight for about a half mile in front of me. With the sunset behind me and a straight pine-fringed river in front of me, I watched the huge full moon rise right between the trees before setting up camp.

Manistee Moonrise Spirit Blend weaves a wild bramble of blackberries through a pine-fringed river scattered with fresh spring grasses with wildlife in the air and water. The opening taste is juicy wild berries and the hint of a campfire upstream, complete with the aroma of roasting marshmallows. The middle of the sip carries warm pine and wildflowers, with just a touch of the cool breeze – spearmint. This blend is the essence of freedom.

The Kirtlands Warbler sings for freedom and the river otter sips from the heart of the Manistee.

Eddy up to a cup of Manistee Moonrise.

Namaste.

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I thought this would be good out camping during a full moon, so I’m of course having it on a sunny day at home. It smells so herbal… there is mint, and lemongrass. There is something else that comes out in the brew, maybe the elderberries. Flavour— mmm, lemongrass, then there is some mint (spearmint, I think), there are some hints of smoky/ toasted marshmallow. Mostly it is just nicely herbal.

Flavors: Lemongrass, Marshmallow, Mint, Toasty

Pass the Stash TTB 2
This is an interesting one. I don’t think I’ve had a minty black tea before. I like the mix of the keemun smokiness with the brightness of the mint. It’s ingredients include elderberries and lemongrass but I don’t get any of those flavors in my cup.

Interesting Keemun combination here. Mint is in the spotlight here from the start, and it leaves a fresh mouth feeling to finish. A bit of lemon/honey is present, though more subtle than the mint. Even more subtle is the berry flavor, but it is still definitely identifiable.

This tastes good but I’m not sure if I’d reorder it. I’ll decide during my next tasting and update then.

Thanks to Marzipan again for the sample!

WHOA smokey minty tea, eh? Interesting…not really getting any berry. That’s ok though. Not sure this is a tea I would ever crave (I’m picky and weird about mint teas) but I am enjoying it and appreciate its uniqueness :)

Next time I’ll try sweetening it and see if it changes much for me.

Marzipan

I was expecting more berry too.

Stephanie

Smoke and mint are just such finicky beasts, too

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Smoke? Hmm, perhaps this is the old version?

Marzipan

It would have been ordered since March, that’s when I started getting things online.

TheTeaFairy

Ah! I was wondering cause I did not remember smoke at all from it so I went to fix myself a cup…zero smoke. Did you use to blend this one with lapsang Brenden?

boychik

maple syrup

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yep, there used to be a dash of lapsang. It’s been removed in the past month or two :)

MzPriss

I didn’t have smoke in mine

Stephanie

Sorry, I can move this note if I put it in the wrong place. And OMG boychik, yes to maple. I will do that soon!

Awesome Tea! I had a great time outside watching for the moon i didn’t see her but I still had fun :)
Really good version this time around, very smooth and tasty and minty, it really was perfect tea for tonight.
My heart is pounding still from running, i’m soo out of shape and really need to quit smoking(maybe tonight) gonna lay back in my chair for a bit in the cool house now and open the curtains and watch out the window for Momma Moon.
Good Night you all, I had a great time!! you guys are Awesome!!!!

Sarsonator

That was definitely a fun tea event!!!

T’was really fun :-)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, it WAS fun! We have to do things like this more often :)

MzPriss

Sooooo much fun. Great tea too

My first time for this tea. It’s a rocketship! The mint finish just blows me away and I thought I wasn’t gonna like it. And having it watching the moonrise with tea heads is every bit of the awesome.

Lovely :-)

The moon is amazing tonight, huge & full. W have a nice clear sky here in St. Louis, with fireflies. There is no lake…no mist to hover over it, but this tea has a misty quality, & it evokes such things. To be honest, I didn’t think I would like this tea. I’m not really a big fan of spearmint, but as it turns out, it’s an interesting cup. Lightly smokey from the Keemun, I think I’d like more elderberry, & my mouth is minty fresh. I’m on the 2nd steep, & although the first steep was better, this one is still pretty interesting.

BTW, I used the entire 1 Tb sample.

MzPriss

I was surprised by how much I liked it because I thought the mint would not be appealing but this is good! I have elderberries – I may add some next time and see…

Terri HarpLady

My first cup of the day is the 3rd steeping of last nights leaves. This cup is mainly just minty fresh, for my mouth & my sinuses, like a whispered reminder of last nights full moon revelries. :)

MzPriss

I still have last night’s leaves as well. This would be pretty good cold as well. Thank you again for the moon party – ’twas brillig :D

Terri HarpLady

I think this tea could also be a cure for morning breath, LOL!
You’re welcome, & thanks for playing! ’Twas a mimzy good time!

Having this tea while watching the supermoon rise tonight, in the company of a bunch of nuts just like me…makes me really happy ;-)

Cavocorax

I love that! I meant to grab a cup of this and forgot. Now I’ll have to run outside to see if I can spy the supermoon!

TheTeaFairy

Oh no! You missed the post on the discussion board tonight :-(
There was a bunch of us watching and commenting. Hope you can see the moon now :-)

First note for the new blend! MM has been pushed to a whole new level of delicious. Each element is in harmonious balance. Sweet lemongrass and spearmint are at the front of each sip, refreshing and calming. The “greener” flavors are tempered by a subtle undercurrent of berry. (Berry, to me, is almost always a red-purple flavor.) The base tea of the new blend is more subdued than the old. It’s not as smoky; the smokiness is only a small element. The Keemun base is all honey, graham cracker and toasted marshmallow. There’s no astringency. It’s touched by woodsmoke, silky and smooth. It’s lovely! Drinking this tea takes me to a place far from here: standing by a smoldering campfire in the early morning light, breathing in the cool misty air with the sounds of the forest all around me. I raise my head to watch the brightening sky when drops of gentle rain begin to fall…

Review for the old version is here:

Flavors: Berry, Graham Cracker, Honey, Lemongrass, Marshmallow, Mint, Smoke, Smooth, Wood

TheTeaFairy

This was such a lovely review :-)

kimquat

Aww, thank you! (: I’m glad someone enjoys reading them.