Traditional Tieguanyin

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by kimquat

• “From the unflavored TTB I brewed this Western style, so as to leave a little for the next person in the list. The aroma was spicy with hints of grass. The taste is full of spice, with grass/straw...” Read full tasting note
    Dr Jim 113 tasting notes
  • “Backlog. I had this a few days ago and only took a few notes. (1st steep, pre-boil, 3 min.) Floral, mineral, buttery, with a distinct taste that I associate with high mountain oolongs. Kind of...” Read full tasting note
    kmewrd 104 tasting notes
  • “This was a good tea, but I wasn't blown away. Interestingly, the dry tea smells like pumpkin guts. That's the second time I've smelled tea leaves with this aroma within a week. It's very...” Read full tasting note
    Sarsonator 221 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Our high-mountain grown traditional tieguanyin is breathtaking! This medium-bodied and expertly roasted oolong from Longyan Mountain carries subtle nuances of brown sugar and caramel drizzled over fresh honey-wheat bread and a sweet lingering aftertaste of peach and apricot!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

From the unflavored TTB
I brewed this Western style, so as to leave a little for the next person in the list. The aroma was spicy with hints of grass. The taste is full of spice, with grass/straw highlights. Taste is fairly big, but the finish is just huge: very rich and powerful and goes on forever. This is my favorite style of oolong: a nice balance between green and black, with the best features of each.

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Backlog. I had this a few days ago and only took a few notes.

(1st steep, pre-boil, 3 min.) Floral, mineral, buttery, with a distinct taste that I associate with high mountain oolongs. Kind of “heavy”.
(2nd steep, pre-boil, 3 min.) This time it’s more buttery and sweet like kettle corn. Has a very “oolong-y” and plantlike aftertaste, which makes me think of chewing on tea leaves. It reminds me of the sensation. Slight mineral taste (not much). As it cools, there’s less mineral, more butter. Still a bit floral. Reminds me of chewing on sugarcane. The texture of it, not the taste specifically. It’s sweet with a fruity aftertaste that’s like pears…or peaches. Can’t quite pin it down.
(3rd steep, pre-boil, 4 min.) I don’t have anything written down for this. From what I remember though, it was a lot of the same flavors but muted. Not really enjoyable. Not bad, just really thin.

To conclude, it’s a decent oolong. To me it just didn’t have very much depth of flavor. There were a lot of the same flavors in each steep, just varying intensities. Pleasant but boring.

This was a good tea, but I wasn’t blown away. Interestingly, the dry tea smells like pumpkin guts. That’s the second time I’ve smelled tea leaves with this aroma within a week. It’s very pleasant, but I’m a little confused.

That being said, I didn’t pick up on any nuances in the flavor. The flavor here seems heavier. I think this tea may be a little more oxidized, and maybe I just prefer the more lightly oxidized oolongs.