Chinese Black Tea, Tahitian Vanilla
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “*dexter* sent me this one as i really want to place an order with WP but when i built my cart it was several hundred $ lol Soooo dexter helped me out with a few samples from her cupboard of WP...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “Aaaaah Saturday morning yums!!! Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 200 degrees, 3 minutes, French Press Dry Leaf Aroma & Brewing Aromas: Chocolate cake. Om nom nom Flavor: yum! This has lovely cakey and...” Read full tasting note
    Sarsonator 222 tasting notes
  • “This is sublime...simply sublime. Picture this: It's a really hot day (& it IS in St Louis). Hot & humid, & you're literally dragging yourself across that field of dreams, because you know that if...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2953 tasting notes
  • “Yet another damn good blend from WP, I'll make this one short because TheTeaFairy and MzPriss did a wonderful job on their reviews and omg I wasn't even following MzPriss I thought I was, oh well I...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 458 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

A forest is more than a grove of trees. A forest is the wind sweeping across the pines, the wood thrush calling, and the blankets of mist covering the mossy earth below your feet. A forest is the sweet vanilla scent of spring wildflowers and the babbling brook feeding the blackberry bushes. A forest is the morel mushroom hiding under the wintered oak leaves. A forest is everything that we should strive to be — strong, wise, and tranquil. Elder forests are filled with complex ecosystems. Every corner of the woods presents a new biological wonderland, and every inch of the void between organisms plays a vital role in the full picture.

At Whispering Pines, we appreciate complexity. There are, of course, great things to be said about intense singular notes and the boldness of strong lingering aftertastes. However, in the ancient forests crawling with the fingers of fog and ethereal thrush melodies, it is not the plentiful pine we seek. We enter the deepest realms of the forest in search of diversity and the beauty that lies behind the entrance to the trail. A book is not a book without the words within, and a venture into the unknown is not complete without every aspect present.

This is why we chose to seek the complexity of the highest grade Chinese black teas available as the base for Elderwood. This is why we sought the most complex and balanced Tahitian vanilla bean we could find. For the sake the the primeval forests and the immense biodiversity within, we could not choose to cut corners on complexity.

Inspired by the deepest and most ancient of forests, Elderwood carries base notes of warm pine, oak, and cocoa, with sweet vanilla, caramel, cherry, and morel perfectly balanced in the background. A sweet and earthy moss-like aftertaste with hints of vanilla and oak linger for hours past the last sip of this strikingly smooth brew. The aroma is pine, cocoa, and stone fruit, and the color of the tea is dark amber with a slight tinge of deep purple.

The overall experience of this tea is only comparable to what you can imagine drinking the finest hot cocoa infused gently with cherry, and aged in oak barrels beneath the forest floor would be like. The richness and depth of Elderwood can truly only be done justice by experiencing the masterpiece yourself. We highly recommend enjoying Elderwood outdoors. Allow the brew to warm you on a chilly day while walking along your favorite woodland trail.

In honor of all beauty that mother nature has provided us with, and in honor of those moments where you realize just how big the full picture is, I give you Elderwood.

Notes: Warm Pine, Oak, Melted Chocolate, Vanilla, Chocolate-Covered Cherries, Plum, Cream, Salted Caramel, Morel, Moss

Ingredients: Imperial Grade Dian Hong, Ailaoshan Black Tea, Hand-cut Tahitian Vanilla Beans

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

dexter sent me this one as i really want to place an order with WP but when i built my cart it was several hundred $ lol Soooo dexter helped me out with a few samples from her cupboard of WP teas that were on my “want to try” list. I love this tea. I enjoyed multiple steepings of the sample dexter sent me and loved it. Oak, cocoa, vanilla..and a truly delicious base. I think my only “complaint” about this tea is the price :( It would for sure be a birthday sort of splurge tea for me – to be enjoyed. Thank you so much for sharing this with me dexter! delicious!

Cameron B.

I agree on the price. I always want to try the new “vanilla dreams” teas, but they’re just too expensive for me.

don’t get me wrong, i can appreciate that quality sometimes costs more, but i’m not sure i can personally justify it, at least not as often as i’d want too :(

Cameron B.

Absolutely. I just feel that I would rather buy multiple teas or more of a tea I love for the same price. :)

Cameron B.

But I haven’t tried any of the expensive ones, so if I had I may have a different opinion! Lol.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Im HOPING to be able to make my more expensive teas available as 1/2oz in the next few weeks or so. It’s ridiculously laborious to blend the teas that contain Tahitian Vanilla…takes about 30 minutes per ounce. :/

Lariel of Lórien

I really want to try this one.

Dexter

Does the multiple steep make up for price? I hardly ever re-steep “flavored” teas (I understand this is blended not flavored). If you can multiple steep it, does that help offset cost. (I haven’t tried this one yet…) Happy that you like it. :))

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Mmm good point…I always get at least 4 steeps from this one.

Dexter….so yes and no hahaha my dilemma is that sometimes, I don’t WANT 36+oz of the same tea
Brendan – totally understand, and this one is lovely…I can appreciate the time and effort that crafting a tea can require.
Cameron – if/when Brendan has the half ounce option, I suggest trying it at the very least as a little splurge :) it’s quite lovely with the vanilla… This is more what I was hoping for with the verdant blends this month a la vanilla style

Cameron B.

Sil, I will definitely consider trying this one and Cocoa Amore if there’s a half ounce option. :)

And those stupid Verdant blends angered me! The vanilla was such an afterthought in all of them except maybe the tieguanyin…

Dexter

I understand that Sil – I agree don’t always want 4 big cups of the same tea. To save leaf/cost, should we be making 4 steeps of small cups. Make four 4oz cups rather than four 8oz cups? Do we need to change our habits to save money and make these more affordable?

Dex….probably…but I find unless I’m doing gongfu…I want my big delicious mugs of steaming tea….or else it cools too fast for me lol

Whispering Pines Tea Company

You could always halve the leaf amount and add infusion times together :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

But yes, I’m hoping that a 1/2oz option will make these more accessible.

Lariel of Lórien

1/2 is a good sample size. Is that one the two awesome black teas?

Not sure what you mean?

Lariel of Lórien

A blend of two awesome black teas?

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ahh yes, it’s Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong and Ailaoshan Black :-)

mj

What?? Those are two of my WP faves! I might have to splurge on this (and Cocoa Amore, naturally) in October for a birthday present to me…from me….I just won’t think about it too hard ;)

Lariel of Lórien

Yay for October birthdays. This blend sounds good for that season too. (I rather liked the Ailaoshan Black, almost as much as Fujian S’mores… I mean Black Tea.)

TheTeaFairy

Interesting discussion here…my own personal reflexion on it, is that for me, each buck is well spent only because those vanilla dreams teas make me happy beyond what they cost me. And I’m at a point where I like to drink less of everything, and more of my favourites. So in the end, again for my own personal situation, it’s not more expensive cause I have stopped ordering from many other companies and stick to the very few I want to drink tea from like forever!! Having said that, I understand that they do not fit every budget. But I will happily cut somewhere else, before I cut on my WP orders :-)

Ubacat

I’ve always wanted to sample the WP teas too but since most are black I doubt I would stock them on a regular basis.

TeaFairy, I know what you mean about drinking more of your favs. I’ve been reaching for lots of my favs lately too.

mj

Ubacat, you can order a sample pack for $5. Not all of the teas are available as samples, but a lot of them are :)

Teafairy – totally understand that, and i’m pretty sure that’s where i’ll end up once my life isn’t so hectic. For right now, i hate to waste money on teas that are a “luxury” if i know i’ll struggle to find time to actually have time to myself to sit and enjoy them, instead of the teas i drink while at work to make work more enjoyable with happy tea moments. Work tea sometimes gets forgotten, and i wouldn’t want to do that to my special teas :)

OMGsrsly

I’m with you, Sil. I need to have a stock of teas that are great in travel mugs or if left to cool, plus some teas I adore that I can just sit and sip on when I get home from work or have a lazy morning. :)

Lariel of Lórien

The samples are good, but a bit small.

Ubacat

I did see the samples. I might have to order some of them to try BEFORE they have a sale. Then I will know which ones to order. Thanks.

Aaaaah Saturday morning yums!!!

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 200 degrees, 3 minutes, French Press

Dry Leaf Aroma & Brewing Aromas: Chocolate cake. Om nom nom

Flavor: yum! This has lovely cakey and cocoa notes. I wish it was a little sweeter, but that’s easily remedied. I am going to try a second steep and see how that goes!!!

MzPriss

MMMM that’s a good morning nom

Sarsonator

I wasn’t feeling as poetic this AM, so I kept it short, but yeah. This is great. I love that I have more to look forward to with these vanilla teas because they do improve with age. I can’t wait to get that vanilla pot seasoned!!!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, great choice!! my session of this was so good yesterday…the rest is cold-steeping.

MzPriss

My vanilla pot will be finished in about 3 hours (I’m going longer than Brenden’s 3 that he goes) and it’s sitting on the warmer. I can’t wait!

Sarsonator

The second steeping is niiiiice. I put in a little maple syrup because, why not?

I just went Terri-style with my GO as well. This is so freaking good

Mmmmmmm Terri-style.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I’m so glad that maple in tea is getting such good recognition :)

MzPriss

You don;t very much at all and it just elevates it.

Sarsonator

Oh HoneyBelle! I missed the note where you’re seasoning your vanilla teapot. I think you may have said before, but which one did you pick for vanilla? Sometimes I’m super senile…

MzPriss

I’m using my “bigget” one (220) – it’s my expensive one that I got a while back and haven’t seasoned yet. But since I will be drinking the vanillas out of it, I decided to use the biggest one

Sarsonator

If you have a pic,I’d love to see it. Hooray for vanilla teapots!!!!!

MzPriss

I think there might be on already up on my flikr. Lemme go look

MzPriss

It’s the one on the left:

I think my bamboo pot from Mandala may have to be my Special Dark baby

MzPriss

The one in the middle is going to be shou other than SD and the one on left looks a little different now as it had a long warm bath in Wild Monk and is now my sheng pot. It’s already darker.

Sarsonator

O.M.Geeee. Those are so adorable!

I think you picked out some lovelies. I especially like the Mandala pot with the cute bamboo pattern. I can’t wait to start seasoning mine when they arrive!!!!

Oh, and we have matching laptops :)

MzPriss

I have a love/hate relationship with this laptop. I’m boiling my bamboo one right now and it will have a Special Dark bath later after we get back from the vet

MzPriss

Oh crap I mean the one on the RIGHT is now my sheng pot and looks different. I have a very adorable purple one coming that will be for oolongs

Sarsonator

Reeeally? I adore mine. It’s the second of its kind. The last one went 5 years before the video card died.

I’m so jealous of your seasonings LOL. But soon I will have my own seasoning adventures. The vanilla houhin is scheduled to arrive Monday…

Vet? I hope everything is ok! I have to get my “kids” in for their annual checkup and shots soon.

“Oh crap I mean the one on the RIGHT

I knew what ya meant. :)

Eeee!!!! I got one for oolongs toooooo! Uh oh. I’ve gone to multiple vowels…. must be excited. Time to make some tea…

MzPriss

I’m making egg and kimchi braekfast tacos and deciding on the tea to take along with me to the vet. Wee Snailys I think

MzPriss

One of my dogs is having (sorry) anal gland issues.

Taco Queen!

I have been hoarding the last of my wee snailys, but Brenden just said that he received a huge order, so I can happily drink them again!

It’s ok. My little princess has AGIs too. Gross, but it hasn’t been a serious problem for her. Hopefully it’ll be no biggie for you, too.

MzPriss

I’m hoping that as well, but we’re on the second round of antibiotics which I hate to give her and she doesn’t LOVE yogurt which I want her to have when she does the antibi-s.

Dexter

Trying to get motivated enough to leave the house in search of kimchi – yes this would be MzPriss’s fault. Where do I buy Kimchi? Should I go to China town, which is sort of right here, easy to get to – OR do I need to go half way across the city to my favorite Korean market? I can proabably buy it at the HUGE supermarket too, but will that be as good as the stuff you would find in an Asian market?? I love Kimchi, but never buy it, I just eat out whenever possible….

Sarsonator

The Korean market is probably the best bet, but I suspect you’d do ok in Chinatown also.

Dexter

OK – I’m a little frightened to go to China Town, you never know what cute teaware you might run into. Thinking the Korean Market will be safer on that front. Need motivation to get up and moving…..one more cup of tea…

MzPriss

Either way probably. I buy it at my local hippie co-op grocer – there is a small local company that makes various kinds here in town and they sell it at the co-op. I started putting kimchi on tacos when I was out of salsa one time. Last night I just had kimchi tacos for dinner. Oh I also got this really awesome Madras Curry sauerkraut salad – so good. I like the fermented veg thing a waaaaaay lot.

Dexter

Thanks, I’m going to go and venture out into the world and see what I come up with. I live in a fairly large city I should be able to find real kimchi….
Will report back later…

Dexter

FYI – Mission kimchi was successful… :))

TheTeaFairy

Someone is going to have a nice dinner :-)

Sarsonator

I also had a MzP influenced dinner. Faux chicken, beans, rice, and my world famous Asian peanut sauce on a soft taco shell. I wrapped it up like a burrito b/c I do t have taco shells, but close enough. It was deeeeelish!

Dex: we need a full report on the results of Mission Kimchi!

Dexter

I think you can wrap anything in a soft taco shell and it would be good. :)) Would famous Asian Peanut Sauce? That sounds interesting… like Thai peanut sauce?
While I was out on Mission Kimchi, I also bought concentrated tamarind paste? I usually buy blocks of Tamarind to make chutney – hoping that this will be good and take out a step. (Also hoping that I can just add a little to black iced tea….)
As for the kimchi – not sure yet. Probably some sort of noodle stirfry. Garlic, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, veggies, chicken – and then toss in some Kimchi on the plate… that’s the plan, but things change as I cook… never quite sure what I’m going to end up with

Sarsonator

Yeah Dex, kinda like a Thai peanut sauce.

Tamarind paste!!! Yum yum yum

How did your stir fry turn out?

This is sublime…simply sublime.
Picture this: It’s a really hot day (& it IS in St Louis). Hot & humid, & you’re literally dragging yourself across that field of dreams, because you know that if you just take that walk, there will be relief.

And so, finally, you arrive at the edge of the forest, & as soon as you duck into it’s shade, your entire day begins to unwind. Even in the heat of summer, the coolness of being beneath the canopy is all enveloping. The smell of layer upon layer of decomposing leaves rises to greet you, the humidity in the air immediately becomes cavelike. You walk until you reach a bubbling spring, you find a sizable patch of moss, & you lie down in that shady place, with the sounds of water, birds, & leaves gently rustling .
Heaven doesn’t always include a Harp.

Isn’t it pretty Terri?

MzPriss

We have moonrise very soon

Terri HarpLady

It is pretty, & I just realized I didn’t really say anything about what it TASTES like, but this is the best I could do, LOL.
I made it through 2 steeps, & when I went back to try for a 3rd, I was disappointed to discover that Tony, in a kitchen cleaning frenzy, had dumped my steeper…ackckckckck….

MzPriss

OMG. Tony might need a spank.

Sarsonator

I am chomping at the bit! All my tea friends keep reviewing teas that I have just ordered and are on the way! I can’t wait to try this one. :)

Love this review terri…

Yet another damn good blend from WP, I’ll make this one short because TheTeaFairy and MzPriss did a wonderful job on their reviews and omg I wasn’t even following MzPriss I thought I was, oh well I am now :)
I must quote them both (i hope they don’t mind) TheTea Fairy said in here review “I initially thought this was going to be Golden Orchid on steroids!!! But it’s quite the opposite” I couldn’t agree more!
MzPriss said in her review " This tea is a lady. An elegant lady dripping with class and good taste" I also couldn’t agree more.

This Tea is surely NOT a souped up GO it is more like a relaxed GO and She surely is a Lovely Lady, a very lovely lady. This Tea even smells like a lady to me Golden Orchid smells masculine compared to Elderwood, Port may be more of a GO on steriods perhaps lol.

Thats all I can say, Read the reviews of MzPriss and TheTeaFairy, two different reviews and both perfectly Spot on,Great Job you two And Great Job Brenden too!!!!!!!!!!!

TheTeaFairy

Tommy you are awesome!! I’m so happy someone else finally reviewed this one :-)
And thanks for the praises, the inspiration was easy to find!

You are so right to bring Port to the equation, it’s definitely the masculine one of the bunch. It’s like one big happy family, Port the Daddy, GO the Mummy, and Elderwood their love child ;-)

MzPriss

Thank you Tommy :) and I’m also glad you reviewed this. Just how lovely and refined is this tea? VERY!
@TeaF – that is one happy little family right there.

TheTeaFairy

Isn’t it? And here’s one happy tea drinker!!!

And another right here

for sure! WP family of Tea, i like that

I wish I had the fairy powers (and the money), to travel all around and drop a sample of this marvel of tea in each of your mailboxes, Steepster friends…

For real…

Sweet goodness coming from what seems to be a Vanilla Tee Tree.

It’s just blissful in my newly seasoned VANILLA DREAMS yixing clay pot.

Upping the rating, it’s just perfection!

(See previous note for more details)

Marzipan

We should start a Kickstarter for that purpose.

TeaterTotter

I really like the name of that tea haha. It feels all ancient and mystical.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! That would be an awesome Kickstarter Marzi, you always have the best ideas!!

TeaterTotter, funny you say that…it does feel ancient and mystical when you drink it also :-)

TeaterTotter

I love vanilla flavored teas with a fiery passion. I’ll have to try this one out eventually. Also, you can fund anything on kickstarter these days, just look up the potato salad guy.

TheTeaFairy

Then you will not regret trying this TeaterTotter. But please note that this is blended, not flavoured. REAL hand cut vanilla beans :-)
I personally don’t like vanilla flavoured teas much… this is something completely superior and different!!

Dexter

?? I thought you had Fairy Power? Stuff magically appears in my mailbox….

Some powers…. :-)

TheTeaFairy

When are you trying this one Dex? Did I mention I overleaf it to get even more goodness?

Sarsonator

You’ve inspired me to make this one tonight!!!!

Dexter

I don’t have a tin available for it…. :((

TheTeaFairy

Sars, aren’t you supposed to play “pupu destroyer” tonight?

(dex, me think we both need more black tins…)

Dexter

I am not allowed to buy more tins….. :((

TheTeaFairy

( I think I’m lifting the tin restriction rule. This tea is tin worthy. I’d be very surprised if you don’t repurchase it. But you must TRY it in order to know that!!!)

Sarsonator

I played pupu destroyer this AM, pookie. There’s a note on your Taiwanese Wild Mtn Black review. :)

I need time to recover before the pick comes out again!!!!

TheTeaFairy

Aaaah! I was on the go this morning, I missed some comments, will go read about it :-)

Ubacat

I’m not really a black tea lover but that sounds so good!

Terri HarpLady

Teatertotter, although this one has vanilla beans in it, the vanilla flavor is not as strong in this tea as it is in the Golden Orchid, which is very vanilla!

Sarsonator

I picked out a pot to be my vanilla dreams teapot!!!! So exciting!!!!

TheTeaFairy

Yay! Sars that’s great! I’m planning to try PORT in mine today…should be epic!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, and Which one did you choose?

MzPriss

I’m seasoning my vanilla pot right now

Sarsonator

Well MzP suggested the lotus gaiwan, but I really want to use that for one of my pu’erhs, and I was reading that banko clay gives teas a sweeter, smoother finish over time, and that sounds perfect for vanilla, so I picked this one:

That is cute!

Sarsonator

It’s hard to see in that pic, but the knob on top is a cute little flower. :)

It’s precious!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, that is lovely. And I love Tealux, just wish they had tinier yixing pots.

Sarsonator

Thanks! I never ordered from them before, but they seem to have some great stuff! Hopefully my little teapot gets here soon! Vanillaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

TheTeaFairy

Let me know when you order. I have tried almost every tea (unflavoured) they have, I can give you great recommendations. Their oolongs are fantastic.

Sarsonator

Oh pookie pie! You know I have no self-control! I ordered that days ago. :)

I got a bunch of tins because I need some so badly! I didn’t get tea this time because I’m living in pu’erh city over here….

I need (* hides LTF’s eyes *) more tins

Sarsonator

Tinzzzzzzz. Give us all the tinzzzzzzz!!!!!!

TheTeaFairy

Hurry up Missy. I need more tins also. Y’all know what it means.

MzPriss

We do know. How did I use up that many already?? And someone got more than me and you need more???? Laughs. We need an intervention. And I need some organization. I got a decent grip on it, but alas – out of control again.

MzPriss

I went to Harney for tins this time since I wanted some soba and they will stack and they are $1.75 for a 4 oz BLACK tin. I may spend some of today figuring out where all this tea is going to live permanently

Sarsonator

Oh that’s a great price, LHBQotTFRotCT. Now that I am getting my collection of pots curated and housed (my shelf is on the way), I need to figure out a plan for ALL THIS TEA. I have some preliminary ideas, but I’m still working out the details.

Not sure if I showed you guys the shelf I picked out. If not, here it is. I think it will be great for little gaiwans and houhins and teapots :)

MzPriss

Oh that shelf is way cute.

Sarsonator

It seemed perfect because it has so many little “cubbies”. I can fit 8 different teawares, and I think I could even go up to 11 if needed. I just have to make sure it’s hung VERY securely.

MzPriss

A stud-finder is your friend

I don’t have studs :(

Don’t tell my BF I said that :p

I live in an older house, so it has lath and plaster walls. I like them because they aren’t “perfect” and they have some visual interest, but I also hate them because it is such a PITA to hang heavier things.

MzPriss

OMG how will you DO that with those walls?

Sarsonator

There are special support thingies you can buy. That’s the technical name: “support thingies”

You drill small holes and insert them. They expand inside the wall and keep your nails or screws from just falling out. It’s going to be a project, but I think it’ll be worth it :)

And I guess I should say that I DO have studs, but they are spaced much further apart, which is why it’s so hard to do this stuff.

toggle bolts

Sarsonator

Well fine, if you want to get all specific about it. You are correct :p

Terri HarpLady

Sars, I love that teapot & the shelf! I am now fantasizing about buying the swan yixing…OMG, it’s adorable!!

I also live in an OLD house, with lathe & plaster walls. When I was painting one of the bedrooms on the 2nd floor I accidentally bumped the wall inside the closet, & pretty much watched all the plaster disintegrate before my eyes. What followed was a crash course in ‘this old house’ style fly by set of your pants wall repair.
Even worse was when we had to run new wiring for a ceiling light…we finally cut some holes in the ceiling, which I later went back & patched with my now amazing speckling skills. LOL

Thanks, Terri!

Hahaha. You know exactly what I am dealing with then. I love my old house, but on the other hand, certain things are a pain. I will find a way to make the shelf work, but it will probably involve cursing, alcohol, unintentional holes, and yelling. :p

TheTeaFairy

Haha! This is amusing..also an old house owner here! We disagree at times, but I love most of its imperfections. Also, I like the way it cracks and makes funny noises sometimes, as if there were ghosts in here :-o

Maybe there are :)

There are :)

TheTeaFairy

Hehe…I’d love me some ghosts friends :-)

Sarsonator

I dont think I would mind a friendly ghost.

MzPriss

My house is old-ish but not the kind of old y’all are talking about – mine is from the 1940s and it has its own problems – like zero insulation :(

No ghosts though my house also makes creaky noises

Marzipan

Mz were the $1.75 tins online?

Shelley_Lorraine

I have a ghost, but my house isn’t old (built 2004). I also had a ghost in my previous apartment, I think its the same one. takes all the cheese and candy foods, sometimes leaves pennies. . Im really not kidding that I think I have a ghost that follows me! at least it doesn’t take my tea. Because then I would be prompted to call in the professionals. (^o^)

Marzipan

Takes the cheese and candy? We would be fighting. It is obviously a very old ghost if it only compensates you with pennies.

MzPriss

@ Marizpan – yes. I had to google empty harney tins to find them – the website didn’t make it easy

TheTeaFairy

No ghost of mine will ever touch the cheese. Ever. There would be an epic battle…and I promise the fairy would win.

MzPriss

I would help you fight that battle. Cheese is serious business

Sarsonator

I wonder if that’s why I don’t have a ghost… No cheese!!!!!! Maybe my house had a ghost but the poor thing ran away!!!

It is no secret that I’m an enthusiastic fangirl for Whispering Pines teas. I was very gratified (and in excellent company with the lovely TheTeaFairy) to be one of the first tasters of the new WPTC blend Elderwood. When Brenden sent a list of the ingredients along with the sample, I was already salivating before I even tasted it. A blend of Imperial Grade Dian Hong, Ailaoshan Black and hand-cut Tahaitian Vanilla Beans sounded to me like my very much beloved Golden Orchid turned up to 11.

Only it’s not the big bold vanilla-fudge bomb I was expecting. This tea is a lady. An elegant lady dripping with class and good taste. This is a whole different experience from Golden Orchid – more subtle and nuanced. The word that comes to mind for me is pretty – though lovely is a far better word. Have you ever seen Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday? She’s so bright and beautiful and adorable, a pixie who is also a princess.

The dry leaf is gorgeous with sparks of gold. This is like nectar – not just merely sweet, but complex and nuanced with an earthy bass note. There is a hint of malt and bit of chocolate, with a luscious creamy vanilla winding it’s way through it and a fruity undertone. There is a bit of a floral lingering taste toward the end from the vanilla and absolutely zero astringency. This lady is smooth and sublimely elegant. If Cate Blanchett showed up at my house wearing her Oscar gown, this is the tea I would serve her.

Elderwood has lots to give. I took it though 4 steeps and the put the leaves in a cold steep overnight and woke up to a silky little honey taste. I really loved the third steep (though the first was my favorite), by that time it was really down to basiscs – earthy cocoa and a little jammy fruit. I had extremely high expectations for this and it did not disappoint – it’s enchanting.

I want to thank Brenden for letting me do this preview!

The song for this? Well this lady is a classic, so Beethoven I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkcvrxj0eLY

TheTeaFairy

LOVE YOUR NOTE!!! The comparison to Cate Blanchett and Für Elise ARE so spot on…it js such an elegant blend, your so right. And I think we pretty much got the same type of notes.. This was so much fun! More Girl Power ;-)

MzPriss

I have a little music box that my grandmother gave me when I was a child. It plays Fur Elise and I immediately thought of it when I tasted this tea. YES! Way more Girl Power!

MzPriss

I see I got the little slider bar wrong on the temperature – I used 200 degree water…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hehe, I’m so glad you two got the chance to try this before the release date :)

Awesome review!

Frolic

Amazing review making me salivate and making it oh so hard not to want to buy some when it becomes available.

I too used to have a music box that played Fur Elise and this sounds like one classy tea.

MzPriss

@Frolic thank you so muc. It is indeed beautiful tea and it is available right now! I love Fur Elise. If you haven’t tried any WP tea you really should!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

It’s back in stock, by the way, and if you haven’t ordered with us before, “sip-inspiration” as a coupon code will save you 15% off your first order :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Great Review!!!! This Tea is in fact a Lovely Lady!

TheTeaFairy

Yay! It’s “out of the woods” ;-)

whatshesaid

Added to wish list!

TheTeaFairy

Your description is beautiful…

Great Job Brenden!!